The Evolution of Ancient Egyptian Food | Teen Ink

The Evolution of Ancient Egyptian Food

By AlezaT BRONZE, Antelope, California
AlezaT BRONZE, Antelope, California

Have you ever wondered how the food was made during Ancient Egypt? How did the food in the past taste compare to now? What did the Egyptians eat? You’ll find out in this article!

In ancient times, Egyptian food was plain and dull; bread and beer were staple food. Ancient Egyptian bread was baked outside, letting sand get blown into the dough. As a result, people’s teeth were worn down by the sand’s grains inside the bread as they ate. Aish Baladi is a type of Egyptian flatbread. Emmer, a type of grain used by Egyptians, makes Aish Baladi. Crumbled barley bread and barley with water made beer that was lumpy. Even though beer was strained, but it was still lumpy and had to be drunk through a wooden straw with a filter. Consequently, Egyptians started to prefer wine over beer.

Ancient Egyptians enjoyed sweet foods or desserts. A fancy dessert made with bread, cream, and honey was popular. The ancient Egyptians also made bread similar to a cake. Did you know that droughts are the only time people suffered from hunger? However, a bible explains to us that Joseph saved the Egyptian people by storing surplus grain in the good years before an incident. It is said that he went throughout the lands of Egypt on an inspection tour. It is also believed that Joseph became familiar with the land conditions, people who managed agriculture, and much more other useful information. Then, during the seven years of harvest, he dispensed grain to people (such as the Egyptians) who were affected by widespread famine. They fished in the Nile and collected eggs. Grain was shared throughout the citizens and was stored centrally, which is more likely from Joseph’s wise actions and words.

The upper class had more luxury with food. They enjoyed milk and ate meat, wild birds, eggs, vegetables, and dates. Dinner was served on a small table and food was brought to each individual. The upper class ate their food like the lower class- -with their fingers. Their hands were washed between courses and when necessary. 

The lower class had less luxurious food. They sat on woven mats made from reeds. They ate fresh bread, onions, vegetables, fish, and eggs. They drank beer and used their hand to eat their food.

The upper class and lower class had some similarities and differences. Both groups ate eggs, vegetables, and used their hands to eat their food. Their differences were their beverage, most of their food, and where they ate.

In the present time, the food eaten in the past has changed. There are many more food choices now. We have many more food options to choose from. There are more than 600 food choices for us. There were fewer food choices in the past than now. Our food is flavorful; there are salt and pepper, sugar, and many more options to make our food more delicious. We don’t really have a staple food aside from fruits, vegetables, and meat. Bread in the past was made outside, but now it’s mostly made in manufacturing facilities and indoor. The beer now isn’t lumpy like it used to be. It’s easy to drink without a straw. There are many drinks in the present, so people have many choices in beverages. However,  an article, www.tvm.com.mt › news ›  and-the-worlds-most-popular-drink-is, states that water is the most popular drink.

Sweet food was enjoyed in the past and still is enjoyed today. Cakes are our most popular dessert. The cakes in the present come in many types, such as tiramisu, cheesecake, and many more. In the past, people suffered from hunger mostly during droughts. But in the present, many people suffer from hunger each day amid abundance. There are homeless, poor, and many more people who suffer from hunger. Now, we usually fish to sell, eat, or have fun. Food isn’t really shared in the community, but rather usually sold for money.

In our modern society, the lower class and higher class have more similar foods. We all eat fruit, vegetables, and meat. We also go to the same restaurants, sit in a chair, and use utensils. Our only difference is by the type of food they eat if they go to different restaurants and other reasons.

The present time food has changed from the past. Ther

The present time food has changed from the past. There are more food options,  more flavors, food facilities, and the two classes are more similar. There are more differences in the past and present with food. An example is our modern’s society food, which consists of fast-food restaurants and many more. The Egyptians probably didn’t have a McDonalds or Burger King to eat from.

Works Cited

localhistories.org/food.html
www.tvm.com.mt › news ›  and-the-worlds-most-popular-drink-is
egypt.mrdonn.org/food.html
theologyofwork.org/old-testament/genesis-12-50-and-work/joseph-genesis-372-5026/josephs-successful-management-of-the-food-crisis-genesis-4146-57-4713-26

This piece is based on history and how it has changed to our present time. This article has been written mainly by research.