My Old Kentucky Home | Teen Ink

My Old Kentucky Home

February 15, 2022
By keewebb GOLD, Louisville, Kentucky
keewebb GOLD, Louisville, Kentucky
16 articles 1 photo 0 comments

Welcome to Kentucky. My home, the place that holds the very place I grew up in, we watch horses’ race around a track and somehow get a day off school for it. The state my family has formed in, some in Jefferson county, some in Lovely county, many in between. Kentucky is amazing full of love and some of the smartest people I know they hold themselves to high standards and we don’t allow a political party to shine rather what is best for our friends and citizens. Though Kentucky is an amazing place it isn’t blocked from the real world. We have racism and it runs strong, we have homophobia that settles in the background, we have homicide after homicide, but we choose to ignore it. Kentucky what are you doing? We marched together protecting our family of the black community, we hold pride once a year celebrating hard but where does that go, we kill and kill and kill with no avenge. Welcome to Kentucky where hatred grows between the bluegrass and fear settles in the soil beneath a thoroughbred’s hooves.


The author's comments:

This piece is coming from my heart about my home and feelings living in Kentucky as of lately.