A Northern Wisconsin Experience | Teen Ink

A Northern Wisconsin Experience

May 23, 2023
By fortnite_gurl_OG GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
fortnite_gurl_OG GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
14 articles 0 photos 0 comments


My feet are mere inches away from dropping into the depth of Lake Michigan. As the waves crash into the inlet, I hear “JUMP.” My feet left the cold stone visited by thousands. As I fall down into the icy water I feel accomplished. I climb my way back up to the jumping zone. I cheer on the rest of my friends jumping. As we all dry off in a little circle, teeth chattering, I say my goodbyes, until next year, Cave Point. 

We hop on the mopeds to take us back to a little cottage on the beach. Surrounded by beauty from forests to goats on the roof. Door County has it all—especially constant adventures. We warm up with some leftover cherry pie from Schartner's Farm Market, the signature of Door County, heating our insides up from the plunge. Until next year Cherry Pie.

Time for another adventure? I think so. We all hop on the little mopeds and head toward the lighthouse. What seems like beyond-door county reality. A long path in the middle of the lake. It was foggy on that August day, almost gloomy, as we crept on the pathway, waves tickling us from down below. There is a lighthouse; or should be. As we inch closer to the lighthouse it emerges from the fog. Not even a picture could describe the view. The double-stacked support beams lead to the plump lighthouse staring out from the coast. We all jumped as the neighboring coast guard station blared its horns. We laugh thinking that it is time to return to the house. The parents are summoning us to go to the town. Until next year, Sturgeon Bay lighthouse. 

We venture the short way home and get ready to go into town. We all pile into the car and head into Sister Bay. A smile comes onto my face as I first see the long beach with the pier and the large yachts. All the memories come back. Everything looks the same as last time the previous year. Same goats sitting on the roof at Al Johnsin’s, the same Italian food aroma filling my nose, the same sound of kids screaming and having fun on the beach. Until next year, Door County. 

As we take a short break to have some butter burgers at Culver’s.  

This weekend is why I love Wisconsin.