Standing along the coast of Feng Ling Du | Teen Ink

Standing along the coast of Feng Ling Du

By Theresazheng BRONZE, Shenzhen, Other
Theresazheng BRONZE, Shenzhen, Other

I stand along the coast of Fenglingdu.

The sun sprinkles shiny beads on the floating glassy water, weaving into a golden layer of silk of light. The waves surge, throwing back the satin and uncovering the prosperity that belonged to one thousand years ago. At that time, the roaring yellow river rolled up mountainous tons of loess with the potential energy bestowed by the Loess Plateau. The river rushed down along the Luliang Mountain, dividing two provinces, Shanxi and Shaanxi, until it collided with the towering Qin Ling at the intersection of Shanxi, Shaanxi, and Henan. Subsequently, it experienced intense tail-wagging and slowly flew away through the valley between Zhongtiao Mountain and Mount Hua.

The place where this great turn takes place is Fenglingdu.

Here, the Wei River, which feeds the vast Guan Zhong Plan, runs to the Yellow River. Meanwhile, when the river flows to the gorge's exit between the two mountains, the Sanmenxia Gorge, the enormous energy of the topographical difference bursts out. The Yellow River, which had been bound by two mountains for a long time, rushed towards the whole Huabei Plain.

This bend appears like a narrow passage that links the two plains together.

On the one hand, this link connected two extremely important capitals, Chang ‘an and Luoyang. From the beginning of civilization, the Xia, Shang, and Zhou Dynasties, to the Qin, Han, Wei, Jin, Southern and Northern Dynasties, and then the Tang and Song Dynasties. Through countless eras of unification or disintegration, Chang ‘an and Luoyang remained the core of civilization, serving as the center of the regime and the nation. These two cities were chosen as the capital of thirteen dynasties, burdened with preserving the Chinese civilization. Within over a thousand years, this passage, which broke the geographical barrier between Chang 'an and Luoyang, has bestowed the Zhong Yuan culture with high vitality and resilience.

On the other hand, such a pivotal geographical link established a tight cultural connection. By the same token, it gave birth to the agricultural civilization, creating the heyday of the Zhong Yuan culture throughout Chinese history. It gives us a glimpse of the peak of culture. Artistically, it is illustrated by the dexterity, vividness, and creativity of Tang poetry: Wang Wei's poem craftily combined poetry and painting, where "emptiness" lies inside; Wang Bo composed a sense of magnificent, deep, and desolate. Academically, historians were dedicated to seeking excellence. Ideologically, the Chinese literati inherited the strength of character and unique spirit for the sake of sentient beings. Such greatness of man and diversified thoughts shine like the starry night, shaping the pinnacle of civilization.

But what promoted such a powerful driving force that made culture bloom here?

The answer lies in its unique geographical environment and natural framework, which facilitated the grand civilization. People who live along the river can see the surging water, enjoy the breath filled with the sense of loess, and hear the river keeps rolling and splashing the coast. They farmed at sunrise and rested at sunset by the green mountains. Living among these mountains and rivers, people directly touched nature. In these moments, the individual's body and soul become one.

How are bodies and souls integrated?

As Nietzsche suggested, the Apollonian spirit's visual manifestation and the Dionysian spirit's auditory expression can bring astounding power and give people a whisper of tenderness. Just as I stood by the Yellow River today, I heard the river's roar performing a grand symphony; I saw the extensive horizon blended with mountains and the sun, spreading into a moving picture. At that moment, I could clearly sense my heart breathing up and down, and a tangible energy running in the blood.

I believe that the people who have stood here can hear, see, and acquire the same feeling as me. Even today, as years pass, thousands of golden grains are still telling the story of civilization to the travelers passing by.

Remember the little girl Guo Xiang who met Yang Guo at Feng Ling Du in Jin Yong's novel "The Condor Heroes?" Feng Ling Du, situated along the Yellow River, also tells the story of Chinese civilization to travelers today...

on Aug. 1 at 10:41 am
Theresazheng BRONZE, Shenzhen, Other
How fantastic your feelings about the spirit of music and life are! They are really moving! I love your depiction of the internal resonance with music and nature!