World Tapestry | Teen Ink

World Tapestry

Most people don't know the basics of religions of others; many people don't even know the basics their own. Three-fourths of Americans consider themselves Christians, yet according to a 1997 poll, only one out of three U.S. citizens is able to name the four gospels, the most basic Christian texts, and 12% think that Noah's wife was Joan of Arc. Religion is a touchy subject. Discussing religion with someone can lead us into an ideological warzone, filled most often with vague jabs and ambiguous claims. But how can we arrive at the fruits of argument - understanding - if we don't understand what we are arguing about in the first place?

I'd like to encourage you to explore the beliefs of this world's religions. This doesn't mean you have to accept them for your own, but I think it's important for us to take that step so that next time we get into a discussion with someone about their religion, we can conduct that conversation with insight and eloquence, hopefully enlightening both ourselves and the person we are talking to.

There are many non-profit religious groups that will mail you a copy of their sacred text(s) for free; you only have to search on the internet.