Mont-Saint-Michel | Teen Ink

Mont-Saint-Michel

January 31, 2012
By LucieLacey GOLD, Saint Paul, Minnesota
LucieLacey GOLD, Saint Paul, Minnesota
14 articles 0 photos 2 comments

The glorious cathedral of Mont Saint Michel sits high on top of a steep hill off the shore of Normandy, France. During high-tide the hill is completely isolated by the waters that wash up to its base, but at low-tide there is a pathway of lush green grass leading into the mainland. Surrounding the cathedral are small houses and businesses, making the island appear to be a community centered around the cathedral. From where the cathedral sits there is a view far off into the distance, where foreign ships could be seen advancing to the shore. Imagine, as the church bells rang, the flocks of people crowding into the nave of the cathedral to hear the word of the Lord. It was a place of worship, a place of peace and escape. It was there that one could go to search redemption and salvation. For ships out at sea off the shoreline it was a reminder of the Creator and his presents. The Mont Saint Michel cathedral was a place of God; it was a key to the doors of Catholicism and Heaven.
The cathedral was constructed over the span of about 400 laborious years, starting in the 8th century and ending in the 12th century. It features many medieval aspects in its architecture. Vast stained-glass windows with intricate pictures and designs let soft, heavenly light onto the pews and altar. The wide stone columns cast shadows on the patterned floor, blocking the light from the windows, and creating rays of sunlight shining out between the pillars into open space. The square steeple reaches towards the Heavens, culminating with a slender spire guarded by an Arch Angel dressed for battle. The Angel extends his sword toward God. Along the ridges on the steeple sit gargoyles, leaning over the edge as if watching over the church and town. Shooting up from the corners, and ridges are smaller spires, making the cathedral look as if every aspect of its being reaches towards the Heaven, touching fingers with God.