Hiking Mt. Yale | Teen Ink

Hiking Mt. Yale

March 7, 2013
By sam welch BRONZE, Lake Quivira, Kansas
sam welch BRONZE, Lake Quivira, Kansas
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

This past summer I hiked Mt. Yale with my dad in Buena Vista, Colorado. Mt. Yale is one mountain in a series of mountains in Buena Vista called the Collegiate Peaks. The elevation of Mt. Yale is 14,196 feet. We started the trek early in the morning, about six am. The beginning of the trail was steep and filled with loose rocks. The sun didn’t completely rise until about halfway up the mountain. We stopped a few times to hydrate and figure out our route. We broke the tree line at about 9:30 am, the worst of the hike was still ahead of us. The last mile and a half was exposed to the wind and above the tree level, the wind was fierce and chilly. After about an hour of hiking in switchbacks we made it to the last fourth of a mile. It was steep and treacherous. We pushed on, the peak looming above us. There was no true trail and we were climbing on boulders thousands of feet in the air, a steep plummet awaited anyone that wasn’t extremely careful. The peak was in sight, but it seemed miles away. We slid on the rocks, trying to find a grip on the slippery face. It was challenging, but it was an awesome and rewarding experience. We got turned around and had to trace our previous steps back. When we reached the summit it was a very rewarding feeling. We could see hundreds of miles ahead of us and nothing but blue skies were above us. There peaks upon peak in front of us, all looking just as menacing as the next. It was one of the best moments in my life. I am so glad I got to share it with my dad.


The author's comments:
I love America