The Olympic Torch | Teen Ink

The Olympic Torch

April 21, 2013
By Anonymous

This summer I was visiting England with my family. I am actually originally from there but seven years ago I moved to Thailand, which is now my home. My brothers and I went to watch the Olympic torch go by in Arundel. The Olympics was happening in England for the first time in 50 years and before it begun, there was a huge relay all over the country. All the surrounding roads were blocked off and the streets were filled with spectators. We managed to drive half way there but were stopped and had to walk the rest of the way. When we arrived there was a huge commotion of people everywhere. Standing on the bridge over the river Arun where the torch would pass, we could see people filling the windows of old-fashioned buildings surrounding the roads that the torch would pass. The pavements were crowded with people of all ages, genders, sizes, and nationalities. Everyone had come to see this once in a lifetime event.


Hours before the torch would pass the streets were already full of spectators, advertisements, and actors dressed in cultural costumes. The sky was grey and through the fog we could see Arundel Castle towering above the other buildings. It was raining a little and everyone was wearing coats and huddling under umbrellas. Through the rain, actors walked on the road dressed as knights and jesters. They gave out balloons to children and every now and then sang a song. Buses began to pass carrying athletes who were part of the relay. Some advertised Coca-Cola and Avian water. Others drove waving with the windows open.


Finally the torch was coming nearer. We knew this because of the sudden cheering coming from down the road. I got out my camera and prepared to take a picture. We had crossed the road to supposedly get a better view but it was so crowded I could barely see. My brother took the camera and held it high above the crowd. That time I actually didn’t see the torch. I thought I had missed my chance but then I overheard someone talking about how they are going to go down the road first and then circle back this way in about 10 minutes. So we waited patiently for the torch to come back. Some school children were singing behind us and a jester was talking to a little redheaded girl, telling her that her hair was beautiful. The atmosphere was pure British, an atmosphere which I miss when I am in Thailand. Strong accents from my hometown filled my ears. Police men were getting impatient with people trying to come off of the pavement to get a better view.
Soon enough the torch circled back our way and I finally saw this once in a lifetime view. A middle aged man with a huge smile was jogging proudly with the flaming Olympic torch in his hand. In less than a minute he was out of sight down the road. Everyone finished cheering and began to prepare to leave. All this preparation and now the sight was gone. People began to gather their things and walked on the road to get to the cars. The roads were full of people walking around which was a rare sight to see in England, where “Jay-walking” never happens. We heard teenagers commenting on how fun “Jay-walking” was. My brothers and I laughed to ourselves; we lived in a country where you wouldn’t look twice if you saw an elephant walking in the middle of the road, let alone a person.
Everyone made their way home. I couldn’t wait to go home and sit in front of the TV with a hot chocolate drink and dry clothes watching the news on how the Olympic torch passed through Arundel. Although it went by so quickly, in many years to come, when people talk about the 2012 Olympics in England, I can say, “I was there that day.”


The author's comments:
I am English but I have lived in Chiang Mai, Thailand for the past 7 years. When I visit England I feel very foreign. This article describes an event where I experienced true English culture through watching the Olympic Torch relay.