Slovakia | Teen Ink

Slovakia

By Ashley1210 BRONZE, Denver, Colorado
Ashley1210 BRONZE, Denver, Colorado

Music
Folk music in Slovakia is very popular, but many Slovakians don’t mind a song or two by KISS every now and then. The music often originates from Italy, Germany, and, Hungary. Most of the time the traditional folk music is performed or played at weddings, funerals, memorial services, or at church. The most famous composer today is Ladislav Burlas, a classical musican, who originated in Austria first, and then in Slovakia. He is also known althroughout Central Europe like in Germany, Poland, Hungary, Italy, and many more countries. Music is a huge part of a Slovakian lifestyle, how about yours?

Landforms

Slovakia is a beautiful country that is landlocked. Its five bordering countries are Poland, Hungary, Czech Republic, Ukraine, and Austria. Slovakia is probably one of the smallest countries in the world. It is the about 18,933 miles squared, which is about the size of West Virginia. Slovakia is home of the beautiful and luscious Tatra Mountain range. The Tatra Mountains contain some of the world’s most beautiful caves, lakes, streams, rivers, and more. They actually use some of their fresh water springs to build some of their amazing water parks. Slovakia has many trees for climbing or for sitting under during a hike. You will love Slovakia’s many natural sites.

Sports and Spelunking

If you have an itch for some sports then you’re in the right place. Slovakia is home to over 3,800 caves for spelunking. Although there are only twelve left for wondering through, they are still wonderful. The others are open for viewing as national monuments. Slovakia also has many more phenomenal sports. Slovakians enjoy skiing, snowboarding, soccer, and ice hockey. Slovakia has many ski resorts and mountains for hiking and snow sports. There are many lakes and rivers for rafting, kayaking, and canoeing. They have tennis courts spread out all over the country for you tennis lovers too. They have many camp sites for people weaving in and out of the Tatra Mountains for anybody who loves to camp. Where ever you go there is a sport just waiting for you in Slovakia.
Paintings

There were three major inspirations for the beginning of Slovakian artwork. The inspirations were Hungarian, Bohemian, and communists. You would be able to go to Kosice, a beautiful town in Slovakia, and find different types of artwork (mostly paintings) flooding the streets and sidewalks. The artwork would be both modern and ancient work. If you go to different chapels you can find work from Slovakia’s first artists. Ladislav Mednansky did some of the most beautiful artwork there is to see all throughout Slovakia whether that is in Bratislava or in Kosice. If you love to collect art when you go on vacation, then Slovakia is the place for you.

Languages

In Slovakia Slovak is the national language, but they speak other languages too. 85% of Slovakians speak Slovak. Hungarian is another very popular language. 20% of the citizens of Slovakia speak Hungarian.