Home Is Where the Heart Is | Teen Ink

Home Is Where the Heart Is

By samstyles BRONZE, Stratford, Other
samstyles BRONZE, Stratford, Other

The nausea starts to take over my body. My head is spinning in circles. My ears start to plug up, I frantically chew on the piece of minty gum in my mouth. I look out my window and see the ground getting closer and closer. If I wasn’t excited before, I sure am now.
Suddenly, I hear a loud bang and the sound of tires rubbing on the pavement. When we come to a halt, I have to restrain myself from jumping out of my seat. A few minutes pass, which feels like an eternity, and the seat belt sign finally flickers off. The crowd of people also eager to get off this plane are now the only obstacle preventing me from having that all too familiar feeling of being in Sudbury.

Slowly, I move through the aisle toward the front of the plane, trying not to step on the back of anyone’s feet. I reach the front and I spot the door from the corner of my eye, I can feel a cool breeze coming from outside. I thank the flight attendant for her help, and exit down the small steps leading to the ground.
To my left I see the airport. Through the huge window on the building that I’ve looked through so many times before, I see a crowd of people anxiously waiting to see their family and friends. I try to make out familiar faces. I remember as a child starting to run to the doors being so excited to see my family. Even though I am only walking, I still find my heart beating a little faster as I rush to get inside as quickly as I can.
Arrived at the entrance, I walk in and frantically scan the room trying to find my grandparents. The airport I am now standing in is almost identical to the tiny one I left from only a few short hours ago. But in this moment, it seems so much bigger. Out of nowhere I am almost pushed over by two sets of arms being wrapped around me. I look down and see my little cousins greeting me with huge smiles on their faces, but to my surprise I find myself not having to look down as much, they’ve grown so much since the last time I saw them.
I look back up to see my grandparents standing in front of me. Despite the fact that they are getting older and older everyday, they still have the same warm faces that I have grown to love. With my arms wrapped around my grandmother and my head nestled on her shoulder, the strong odour of hairspray overwhelms my nostrils. She hasn’t changed one bit. As we watch the luggage spin around on the carousel, waiting for ours to come around, we chat about our trip and catch up on our lives. Their voices bring me a sense of comfort. As my grandmother struggles to find her words and my grandfather is moving a little slower, I cherish every moment spent with them knowing it could be some of the last.

As our luggage finally appears, we grab it and exit the airport to make way to the parking lot. Although it is only one car hidden in a pool of so many more, I recognize the same old beige van they’ve had for years immediately. Helping my grandfather put our bags in the trunk, I hear my cousins bickering about who gets to sit where. They decide that I get to sit in-between them squished in the back seat. Usually I’d rather have my own seat, but right now, I don’t mind.
As we make way to the highway, I start to recognize the beautiful shiny grey rocks that Sudbury is known for. The fields of green and brown I’m used to seeing everyday have turned into miles and miles of colourful trees. It’s been too long since I’ve seen this sight, and I sure missed it. When we finally pass over the bridge leading to my grandparents’ house, I spot the river I’ve spent so many summers in. That river is what seems to hold this place together, it connects all the memories I’ve kept with me for so long. Out of nowhere, it hits me, the feeling of relief and joy. Although I’m thousands of miles away from the place I’ve called home my entire life, I have this warm sense of comfort in the pit of my stomach. The same feeling you get Christmas morning when you run downstairs to see all the beautiful boxes hiding under the tree, or on the first day of school when you’re running to catch the bus and your parents insist on taking pictures. I feel at home.