A New Frontier | Teen Ink

A New Frontier

March 17, 2014
By KeelyR BRONZE, L.I.C, New York
KeelyR BRONZE, L.I.C, New York
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

There was brisk chill in the air that rattled bones and ultimately hit your core. The cold was unlike any other winter day in Manhattan, this cold was frostbite inducing and challenged even those who were covered in all fur and layers. Still, New Yorkers seemed almost unfazed by the cold and trudged through the below 20 degree weather. Amass the bodies that passed me, different variants of cold protection could be seen. Women in above knee skirts or tights often wore long and flowing coats while women wearing pants or slacks often wore shorter yet bubbly coats. They never managed to forget the multiple accessories to go along with their coats. Their fleece gloves or scarves accentuating their almost-newly-bought-for-the-season coats. But like many coats before it, these coats would be left behind in their closets or tossed out once the weather had warmed up.
Yet, almost like clock work, everything was happening right after the other. People passing each other, rushing here and there. With places to go and things to do; to me it seemed that they barely noticed my presence here. I sat here and watched them, every so often glancing down at my phone to jot something down. Did I appear important in their eyes or did I seem like a typical teenager? Was I a nuisance in this large building's lobby where many nicely dressed men and women worked; while dressed in only a worn out pair of gray jeans and large coat?
No one seemed fazed by what I or anyone else for that matter did. My feet danced, tapping the floor multiple times in an attempt to warm my already frozen stiff toes. As I sat, I could feel the blood slowly course through my veins. Slowly filling me with warmth, I was able to feel my toes after what felt like a good hour even though after much checking and persuasion on my part turned out to be 15 minutes.
The cold in itself was almost unbearable. If I would have stood out in the cold for at least another 15 minutes, I might need an ambulance to take me in for frostbite. Of course that would have been entirely my fault for wearing barely any layers, but had I known that the temperature would suddenly dip so dramatically I would have prepared myself better.
I could bear with this cold though, it was nothing because the next day I would be on my way across the world. I would be leaving the current stress of school and for a moment I would be away from the life I lead in New York. This was the last moment that I would have to deal with the sheer cold of this desolate city.
This was my chance at a break from everything I despised and loathed living in a world where I had no freedom to do anything. This was a chance to be responsible and become a level headed young adult. This was my chance to see something other than the busy New York City streets. To see a place across the world. With anxiety boiling inside of me. London would be greeting me the next day and I had hoped it was ready for me.


The author's comments:
My inspiration for this piece involved much of my feelings towards leaving the next day across the world. I was done with the cold that the city had brought and had high hopes that being across the world would let me forget the stress and struggles of my life at the time. Needless to say it had.