Translating Love | Teen Ink

Translating Love

By LoveHaruka BRONZE, Lawton, Michigan
LoveHaruka BRONZE, Lawton, Michigan

"The circumstances of ones birth are irrelevant. It is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are." -Mewtwo

Everyone has that moment in their lives that they visualize by default. That infamous moment that is eternally encased within the subconscious of their realities. Some revisit the memories of a lost love one, or some individuals are dashed by the pain of their decaying heart from that ancient abandoned love; however everyone still possesses that positive tale that fills the existence with meaning and bliss. I have that joyous moment close to my heart. The day that I will always remember. The day I began to believe in the mysterious maiden of fate, and the day my life was forever given a drive.

This story is not the standard repeated Romeo and Juliet. This romance would best be reviled from the beginning. Even before the intro however there is always a prelude. The prelude of my story is fairly common. I am a boy from a small town, falling in love with the first girl to exhibit any remote resemblance of interest later only to fall victim to false attraction. A little deeper into the issues of this child is the tragedy of his parents’ divorce. Forced to endure the torment of emotional abuse from an alcoholic father that unjustly received dual custody. That should be sufficient in the understanding of this tale.

What is a dream? Not a dream that you animate within you slumber. A dream that you seek and strive for with all your certainty. For this individual it was to journey to The Land of the Rising Sun, Japan. Years I desired to embark on the voyage to my own personal promised land. I participated in contests, I attended committee assemblies, I even spent hours surfing the vast internet for opportunities.

This abnormal drive originated from the unhealthy fascination in Manga and Anime. These two forms of Japanese art depicted a perfect utopia where intelligence and pride created its structure. I studied Japans captivating culture, there ancient rituals, and there respectful society. The lust to explore this tangible land coated my entire being.

Then I received the news from my mother. I was able to be part of the Numazu Kalamazoo Sister City Organization. An organization established post World War 2 to mend the ties between the Nations of Japan and America. The news was intoxicating, spreading to all reaches of my body, and consuming my thoughts.

The flight to Japan is almost impossible to describe in words. The flash flood of emotions raging within. The thoughts of potential disappointment, the feeling of fear of traveling alone, and the excitement of the unknown. The massive fifteen hours seemed like years filled by my anticipation.

Finally I emerged at the destination that had been the focus of my journey for so long. Japan. My limbs felt heavy my eyes watered. The time was 7pm however to myself it was 6am. I stumbled through immigration bombarded with questions in Japanese that I could only mumble in response.

The imagery as I departed from Narita airport was nothing but awe inspiring. I couldn’t describe the beauty of this land. I toured the countryside by bus till I pulled into the metropolis Numazu. The cities is a modern marvel of technology and efficiency. The sheer size is enough to mesmerize any traveler.

The family that hosted my visit was the Nakanishi. The family consisted of a father (Hideo), the mother (Michiko), and two children, (Yuki and Ryotarou). The family welcomed me with open arms and excepting embraces. We enjoyed each other company and assimilated to one family within a short time.
The Nakanishi will always be part of my extended family.

However the moments that forever altered my existence was the moment I met Haruka. Haruka was a gift from the great divine’s. She was graceful as she walked, her voice so sweet it melted my heart away. I knew at that moment this woman was the person I wanted to walk down the road of life with. That moment was the moment I gave myself to the sole purpose of making her smile. This was the moment I finally believed that fate existed and had brought me here for a reason.

Within the night me and Haruka became virtually Indistinguishable from one another. Every moment of the day we exchanged emails finding out as much information about one another as we possibly could consume. We became intoxicated with each other living day by day with the dreams of our happiness. Yet all Joyous tales have a conflict within them.

The trip that I had sought after for eternity was up. The days seemed to only be a haunting on my body. Burning there laughter and glee into my structure. The fear of losing all these members of my family and my Haruka burned more intense than the solar flares. I began to lose the hope and the drive within my soul.

The night of my departure I made a special visit. The visit that changed my life forever. Haruka waited outside her house her long slim figure shinning in the rays of artificial light streaming from the lamp post. Her long skirt swaying gently back and forth in the slight breeze bouncing from structure to structure. The look of excitement for this one last chance to convey our emotions.

We stood there looking at each other unable to bring passion to words. My thoughts raced from left to right. Then she opened her mouth. “Our ears may be deaf to each other, yet our hearts breath and sound to the same beat.” The words washed over me like a waterfall. Within This concrete moment I decide she was the new inferno for my drive.

Life has its ways of slowly and indiscreetly pulling the strings of fate. The chance to embark to the land of my dreams. The power of losing all drive and knowing not what was in store for your encroaching future. Then discovering the future you would trade the heavens for. The journey may not be as fantastic as the destination, or the dull destination could be washed away by the marvelous uncertainty of the journey. Two facts still remain never lose your drive for the future, and never believe that fate has turned a blind eye on you.

My experiences in Japan. The love of my life finding me.