Legally Allowed to Hold a Gun, But Not a Beer | Teen Ink

Legally Allowed to Hold a Gun, But Not a Beer

By Jojokarp BRONZE, Rancho Palos Verdes, California
Jojokarp BRONZE, Rancho Palos Verdes, California

Not all who wander are lost

“Eser shniot zuzu!” the officer shouts at us in Hebrew. Translated to mean, “ten seconds, move”, this command has been permanently etched into my brain after only one week. Without thinking my aching body is jerked into motion. Ten seconds can seem like an eternity when top commandants are scrutinizing your every movement, awaiting your next misstep and watching for any minute form of disobedience. Surrounded by young teenagers holding guns and training for war, I feel as if I am trapped in a science fiction novel. It has to be this way though. Despite the fact that enemies constantly corner Israel, its army remains one of the top in the nation.

Studying abroad in the land of milk and honey, I have the unique opportunity to undergo basic training with the Israeli Defense Forces. For an American teenager, this may seem like a cool game of dress up and role-play, but for any adolescent in Israel, army service is an honorable reality. In this country, every person is required to serve in the army after high school. Girls must serve for two years, and boys must serve for three. Contrary to America, where most children are raised with the common ideal that college follows high school, teens in Israel know from a young age that their years before university will be spent donated to a higher cause, the protection of their country. This obligation of contribution to society is unique to Israel, which remains the only country in the world that demands mandatory service for men and women alike.

The Israeli Defense Forces (IDF) shapes a major aspect of the country’s culture. In every tourist store exists a section dedicated to army apparel; shelves stuffed with military green t-shirts and navy blue intelligence themed souvenirs can be found anywhere and everywhere. Even more important than the touristic view of the IDF, is the effect that it has within the country. The army unifies every citizen of Israel. Due to the mandatory service, every person in the country has a friend, family member, or neighbor who is currently serving the country.

I only received a brief taste of what it is like to be a solider, but after my basic training I felt more connected to Israel than ever before. I learned the principles and morals of the IDF, basic shooting skills, battle tactics, self-defense and much more. Above all, I think that the required two to three years of army service prepares Israeli teens for life. Simply by talking to any young adult during or after their army service, it becomes obvious that they are ready to join the world as strong, loyal, and independent citizens of their country. One can relate military service to a physically demanding and rigorous right of passage, similar to college anywhere else in the world. Young soldiers are exposed to new parts of the country and often times leave the army with leadership, planning, teamwork and analytical skills that provide the basis for building a profession later in life. Many people question the fact that some teens are carrying guns before they are legally allowed to carry a beer, but in my opinion, Israel’s strong army is completely necessary to its existence and overall unity.