On My Way | Teen Ink

On My Way

We arrived at the bus station. The taxi driver zigzagged around the busses, both parked and moving. It was hectic. There were people running around, all on their own errand, doing their own thing. Some selling snacks, some helping others get to their busses. We found the waiting room and sat down while we waited for our bus. I looked around, taking in the dusty bus area. There wasn’t really a station or building from what I could see, but there were lots of busses. They were parked seemingly with no or little order. Yet people were finding the right busses and I was glad that we had found ours.

The dirt road was littered with trash and there were cars parked everywhere. There were bags piled high in some places, with their owners sitting in the area waiting for their rides. There were stray dogs laying out on the cement, and some over on the hard packed dirt.

We had a small dinner, none of us really hungry, then we went to the bus. We gave our bags to the guy to put in the bus, and then headed for the bus doors. My mom carried the snack bag with her, and my dad and my brother carried the laptops. We climbed up and found our seats. I took the window seat with my mom beside me. My brother and dad were in the row in front of us. We waited a few minutes before the bus actually started and left the bus ‘station.’

We all read our books until the bus lights were turned off, and then we tried to sleep. I couldn't sleep so I stared out the window, counting the poles that marked the miles. I noticed that the miles were marked in eight parts, that after it reached 12.7 it went to 13. I fell asleep on and off, and tried to read using the light from the road. It didn’t work and I tried to sleep again. After I finally fell asleep I was woken up for the dinner stop. I didn’t want to go out and so I pretended to be asleep. Our family played the “I’m a foreigner and don’t understand” thing, and we were allowed to stay in the bus.

Finally we arrived in Yangon and we got a taxi to the apartment. We stood in the lift until it reached the ninth floor, and then we got in to our room. I collapsed on my bed after bringing my suitcase a safe distance away from the door so that no one would trip on it. I woke up again when it was time to leave. I found all of my things, and headed out the door after my parents. We rode the lift down to the ground floor and got into another taxi. It drove us to a restaurant where we ate lunch, then we drove to the airport.

We sat in the airport as long as we could before we had to check in. Then we paid the tax and stood in line for the check in. Then after that we headed upstairs and filled out some papers, we stood in line again for the passport control. That was the farthest my parents could go with us. My brother and I said goodbye again and then walked on to our gate. Together we passed the little coffee shop that was overpriced and I skimmed the little shops where they were selling small souvenirs. We walked past them and continued on our way. After we had walked for a bit, we found our gate, somewhere near the end of the airport. Both of us walked into gate 6 and 7, then headed down some stairs into a smaller room. We walked around trying to find some comfortable seats that weren’t next to strangers. As we sat down, I pulled my brother’s book out and handed it to him. Then I found my book and we read quietly waiting for the permission to enter the plane.

As I read, I played with my ticket and accidentally ripped off the part that we were supposed to give to the stewardess. I quickly put my ticket away before I messed it up and continued reading. Finally after what seemed like forever, they made an announcement that we were allowed to board. I sheepishly handed my already ripped ticket to the lady and gave my brother’s ticket as well.

We stepped out of the air conditioned room and headed for the bus that would drive us to the airplane. The hot, dry air rushed over me. For a moment it was suffocating, and then I found my breath and was ok. We stepped into the crowded bus. Everyone trying to fit in, before they noticed that there was a second bus coming. We sat in the back and quietly waited for the bus to reach the plane. The bus arrived swiftly and we stepped out. Once more there was a blast of hot air, but this time it was from the plane engine. The air seemed to be thick with heat. As quickly as possible all the passengers filed onto the ladder that lead up to the plane, the hot air swirled around me as I stepped up onto the ladder and into the airplane.

We found our seats with ease and were quickly settled. I handed my brother his book once more, and got comfy for the flight. We both read, as usual, but this time I had some trouble reading. I couldn’t focus because there was a baby crying somewhere in the back, and I couldn’t stop thinking about the condition of the plane. The airplane was rattling, not overly noisy, but I could hear it. It scared me a little bit, especially when there was turbulence. And to top it off, the aircon seemed to be broken. I was sweating like a pig. It was like a heat wave inside the plane. My brother seemed not to notice anything as he was peacefully reading his book, ignoring the food that had been placed in front of him.

I nibbled on my lunch. The bread wasn’t that bad, but it wasn’t that great either. There was a sausage in the middle of the bread, and that gave it some flavor. There was also a small dessert on the tray. It didn’t look that appetizing as the fruit was bruised and didn’t look overly fresh. I gratefully took up the offer of a cup of coke and sipped it while I got out my book again. I couldn’t concentrate, and I read the same page three times, but I didn’t have anything better to do, so I read it again for the fourth time.

When we arrived in Chiang Mai an hour later I was relieved. We made it safely back! I looked around and saw the mountains. It was great to be back. The air felt so clean and smelled so fresh. It was cool against my skin. There was such a difference between the hot, dry air from before, and this clean, fresh air. We got on another bus and drove to the airport.

After we went through immigration, we picked up our bags from the carousel and headed out into the waiting area. Our dorm dad was there waiting for us with a smile and a hug. We chatted about the usual; who was back and who wasn't, and when they would arrive. We got in the van and he drove us back to the dorm. It was good to be home and see friends again.