What Is This Place? | Teen Ink

What Is This Place?

By amosbay BRONZE, Chiang Mai, Other
amosbay BRONZE, Chiang Mai, Other

Here I was on a flight to an unknown monstrous place. As I arrived, I had my passport stamped, got my luggage and stood there waiting for my taxi. I looked around and all I saw was traffic, mainly scooters zipping around in all directions. I looked and started to observe the people around me. Their language sounded really different but I could say I might have heard it before. The way they dressed I could tell they didn’t have much money. Then out of the corner of my eye I saw a taxi, or in other words an old three wheel vehicle. I quickly waved and he stopped for me. I pulled out my map and tried to explain to him where I wanted to go.

I leaped on, made myself comfortable and started to enjoy the ride. The wind started blowing against my face, which felt really nice as I was starting to sweat from the heat. I looked to my left and my right glancing at whatever went by. There were houses, shops, restaurants, constructions sites and something strange. It appeared to be a tarp on the sidewalk. The tarp had all these different parts to fix a scooter. Now behind the harp was an old man sitting and just staring into the traffic. I’ve never seen this before but I guess it is meant for a flat tire which makes it more convenient for people. What also caught my eye was how bad people drive. I could simply say only cars stopped for the red lights, and all the scooters or motor bikes would just basically drive on the sidewalk or switch lanes to avoid the lights. Which in my opinion I would say is really dangerous, but it’s fine, I guess because they don’t enforce the law.

My taxi kept driving and I just couldn’t wait until I would get to my hotel, but also I was curious of what else I would see is in this place. I asked the taxi how much longer. He replied saying only a few minutes. Then he took a right taking me into a construction site. When I looked around I noticed all the girls working there had this yellowish hard powder on their faces. It seemed strange to me but I guess that is just what they do here. The taxi then took a right and here I was at my hotel. I thanked the taxi paid him and started to walk into the hotel. As I walked in they greeted me very nicely and took my luggage. I went to the front desk, checked in and I was ready to take a big nap from all the traveling. I took the elevator which brought me right to my room. I went in and the first thing I did was open the curtains to see the view of the city. The view was kind of nice but the sound of the traffic was really loud and I could hear motorbikes and cars rumbling as they zipped by and also the annoying honks they would make once in a while. I went back to my bed laid down and I said to myself, this was a great first day in Cambodia, Phnom Penh.