The Game of Life | Teen Ink

The Game of Life

By Emminey BRONZE, Lambertville, Michigan
Emminey BRONZE, Lambertville, Michigan

"If the living can be spoken ill of, why not the dead?"~Unknown

Let’s play a game. Not a hostile adventure, branded with torture and chained to the constitutes of reality and illusion. No, this is a gentle experience meant to feather exposure of the future through crooked eyes. It delusions an ability of choice by allowing a simplification of all rules that have been sewn into our skin through age. Responsibility is detached from the player’s puppet, preventing the strings from being used as a means for an early escape through a crushed windpipe.  Companionship is not a necessity, it’s a law. Those without it are deemed too unintelligable to forge their way to the finish line. Success is guaranteed before the player even submits a conscious decision to partake in the experience. This is because the challenge is not to achieve comfort, it’s to achieve the most comfort. You are taught to always seek more, never content with your current value because superior material excess is the only thing of true value in this imitation of reality. Securing this materialistic gain however, cannot be achieved by triumph and hardships. Instead such strenuous efforts are considered to be fairly duplicatable by luck. Any attempt to achieve success by a player’s own means is met with distaste and he or she will be ostracized from the model society. By the game’s termination, minimal impact or effort has been made to achieve wealth and glory equal to the prestigious 1%. It’s a mockery of reality, a version of our society observed through a shattered mirror. Yet, it has the audacity to call itself an equal to the reality of the world. People often mindlessly believe it, buying into it’s twisted and frayed rules with glee. It’s almost a guarantee at least every American has partaken in the game one. It’s almost unheard of for someone to have not played the board game Life.

Just my twisted view on the children's game America loves.