Business Traditions in Sweden | Teen Ink

Business Traditions in Sweden

By KeiraM. BRONZE, Randleman, North Carolina
KeiraM. BRONZE, Randleman, North Carolina

This world is but a canvas to our imagination- Henry David Thoreau

When doing business in Sweden, there are important rules of etiquette to follow that differ greatly from those in the United States. One of the most prominent things is that social structures completely lack any signs of outward hierarchy, in a system known as Egalitarianism. This also holds strong when doing business, and should be remembered for smooth interactions. When it comes to handshakes, there are also many variations that should be remembered, as this is integral to making a positive impression.

Handshakes should always be firm and brief, unless you are shaking hands with a female associate, in which case a much lighter shake is used. When shaking hands with women you should also wait until she extends her hand, as a courtesy. Any gloves should be removed first, no matter what gender.

In going along with the informal and easy feeling of the Egalitarianism system, coworkers address each other by first names no matter the situation. This also goes for foreigners and first time meetings. However, the Swedish value personal space, and after the handshake is finished they tend to stand much farther apart to converse. Speaking with your hands in your pockets is also considered bad etiquette.

In terms of clothing, when dealing in business conservative is the best course of action, as is the nature of the country of Sweden. Men should wear suits of a quality makes, preferably with a silk tie. For women, understated business suits or dresses. Trousers are always acceptable for women. Because there is no hierarchy, not even the higher ups wear more flashy business attire. Employees may even wear sandals or tennis shoes at the office.
When it comes to the meeting itself, always plan at least two weeks in advance. There are popular months for vacation (June, July, and August) when a meeting should not be planned. Punctuality is a must, and it is a great offense if you are late to a business transaction. Always remain calm and collected in a meeting room, as a display of emotion is considered unprofessional. The Swedes are very detail oriented, and appreciate it greatly when an associate is prepared and organized for a presentation. Decisions are always well thought out, and a conclusion is never reached in the first meeting, as this is normally a time spent evaluating you, your product, and your company. Lagom is a word that, although it doesn’t have a direct translation, means “adequate” or “just right”. This means the Swedes do not spend unnecessary time doing things, and instead get it done well in an appropriate amount of time.

It should be remembered that Swedes consider verbal communication important in both personal relationships and business relationships. A verbal agreement is always considered binding, and will give you a bad reputation among your peers. It is common in Sweden to learn English from third grade on, and so one should never speak more slowly to a Swedish coworker, unless it is specifically requested. It is considered very polite to throw in the few words of Swedish you know however, and most people will be pleasantly surprised to hear this (no matter how bad your pronunciation is). This may also help you break the ice. Because verbal communication is so important, hand gestures are not often used.

Unlike some countries, it is not appropriate to give gifts at the very beginning of a business relationship. However, they will be expected at social events. Gifts like quality chocolate, liquor, and flowers are the norm. Certain flowers should be avoided, because they are reserved for things such as funerals, birthdays, and weddings. It is also common courtesy to bring gifts for children of coworkers. Also, holiday cards should be given at proper times, and gifts are exchanged among workers at Christmas.