An Architect's Career | Teen Ink

An Architect's Career

By Sophie2019 SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
Sophie2019 SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota

“Whatever good things we build, end up building us.” Jim Rohn, now deceased, was a motivational speaker that knew success came from determination. Every person strives for greatness and thinks constantly about leaving unforgettable marks before their time arrives. As a child, none us knew what the future held for us. My life was simple as a kid, but I knew my Grandpa Jim was some sort of builder and I admired him. I was always exploring the innovative world as a child. My grandpa has explored quite enough with the vast majority of houses he has constructed. If people don’t choose to do all of these different jobs, then who will? I will voluntarily say that being an architect is a major life choice I look forward to in my adult years. The main reasons of why I consider becoming an architect are the creativeness involved, what skills I will learn, my passion for nature, and the history put into completing a structure.

“You were off by ?th’s of an inch,” this is probably one of the worst sentences any architect wants whispered into their ear. Creating and drawing designs is a top priority in the construction process of buildings. If architects aren’t paying attention to details, the entire blueprint is ruined. All of the blueprints can be reserved for future architects to examine. Gears turn and spin in an architect’s mind constantly while they try to think up new layouts. It’s a challenge that can make them take time to evaluate their process. Mistakes happen which causes stress but they must move on with their work. I feel that designing would guide me to the direction of noticing the world more. Designing is how all of these buildings began, but there is a lot more skills involved than just a couple of pencil marks.

A stupendous architect wouldn’t just go around depicting designs all day. They need to get acquainted with numerous other occupations. Being experienced with many skills would put me at an advantage if I became an architect. Talking to clients is a main social skill that I would really need to work on. Another skill I would need to know is the solutions to math problems. Solving problems of math would come in handy if I want to hang up a picture frame, for example. The math utilized by an architect is most often basic math. This math is used to locate parts of the building and square footages. So the idea of problem solving is based on creatively figuring out a solution. These techniques are just the tip of an iceberg, to be a more profitable architect means to have more skills. It would be wise to have knowledge about politics, business, real estate, marketing, construction, and the environment. Ability and willingness to learn several things and apply them to the job is a substantial strength. This area of the job is not the most  appealing part while other components, like nature, can be an adventure.

Nature surrounds us and without forests and the animals, none of humanity would be alive today. Birds chirping or the simplest croak of a frog could help creativity flow in the minds of an architect. Being out in nature helps a person realize that they aren’t going to live forever. Famous architects like Frank Lloyd Wright, taught other architects that a design should not interfere in nature, but instead follow the curves and enhance the natural world’s beauty. From the beauty of the Earth to the minds of people, many have added elegance that leaves others in awe and wonder. By striving to build, architects can improve, not destroy, the mystery of the world through structures.

Most structures were built around the curves of nature trying to go with the flow of the universe. The Eiffel Tower stands nine hundred and eighty four feet tall and was constructed by Gustave Eiffel and Stephen Sauvestre in 1887. Giza, Egypt’s great pyramids, on the other hand, were constructed in 2560 BC by architects Khufu, Imhotep and Hemiunu. These are two totally different structures but it has brought so much history and attraction to those countries. While I was on a family vacation in 2014 to Walt Disney World, I witnessed beaming children and parent’s eyes twinkle in the tropical sunlight. Cameras flashing towards the African elephants on tours or at Animal Kingdom’s tree. Never ending memories are truly created these ways. I want to see people’s glowing smiles and make a mark on the world that will last forever. History is the very core of our existence and has shaped the world to what it is today. Some past events have happened for the greater good, helping begin a new era.

Designing, learning new skills, finding out more from nature and making history are all reasons of why I consider becoming an architect in my near future. I have a strong sense to become an architect because I feel it would be one of life’s best challenges. Truly there are several superb job professions out there but I feel that by becoming an architect, I could help change the world in a positive way. Most of the houses that my mother has lived was build by my Grandpa Jim. I remember my mom always telling me when construction was going on, my Grandma Bonnie, my mom’s brother and her would all stay in a tiny trailer as the building progressed into a home. I hope someday to build as many homes as my grandpa did.

My Grandpa was an architect an when I get older I also want to become an architect.