Let's Take a Trip! | Teen Ink

Let's Take a Trip!

By Shealine BRONZE, Brattleboro, Vermont
Shealine BRONZE, Brattleboro, Vermont

The first time that I heard my teacher speaking French I knew that I had to speak it and go to the place that it originated from. It’s one of the reasons that I will finally be going to France this summer. The thought of finally going to the one place in the world that is beloved by millions, is electrifying. Most traveling agencies boast about what France has to offer if you go there, but that's not what I want to do. But for now, I want to take you on a journey as if you were actually traveling through the wonderful country.

Book sellers are a topic that usually isn't interesting, but when you do it France style, it makes all the difference. Booksellers along the Seine don’t just sell books, depending on the weather, they sell maps, postcards, old prints, and of course secondhand books. Although the thought of purchasing books seems humdrum, it’s the view that makes it worthwhile. Across the Seine is the Pont St. Michel a bridge that to some may seem old and insignificant, but at the end of the bridge is a castle like structure. Between you and me, I love castles! The buildings in Paris are from another world; they are regal and picturesque. Nearby is Shakespeare and Company, a bookstore that started in the 1920s by Sylvia Beach. It was a favorite haunt of writers like James Joyce, F. Scott Fitzgerald, and Ernest Hemingway, who said he found books there that he had never seen before. This is just one component of Paris, France.

L’arc de Triomphe, 164 feet high and 148 feet wide, stands imposingly at Place Charles de Gaulle, where twelve avenues converge. Beneath the arch, an eternal flame marks the resting place of France’s unknown soldier. I personally would love to visit the L’arc de Triomphe. It is a beautiful masterpiece built by Napoléon in the early 1800s. This historical sight demands your attention, originally called Place de l’Etoile—étoile means “star” in French. To the left of the arc you can see the Champs-Elysées, the most famous avenue in Paris.

Le Métro—short for “Metropolitain”— is the Paris subway system. One of my favorite stations in particular is the Louvre station at Rue de Rivoli. Everything in Paris sounds so exotic and marvelous. French is one of the most musical languages. The way that the sounds ebb and flow and swirl on your tongue is an amazing feeling. It’s one of the biggest Romance Languages today. Spanish and Portuguese fall in that category as well. One interesting thing that’s special about this station—besides the sights— is that Paris subway trains have rubber wheels, which puts New York’s noisy trains to shame. The Louvre is one of several stops offering riders a permanent art exhibition. It’s decorated with objects from the grand museum above. Louvre - Rivoli is a magnificent masterpiece. Topping a concourse under the courtyard is a glass pyramid entrance designed by the American architect I. M. Pei. To fully experience the art you would need to tour the museum that rests above the station. Even though I have only seen pictures of these sights, I can still admire their beauty. These sights are what make Paris, Paris.
The main reason that I have loved France for so long is because of the food. I have had Boeuf Bourguignon in restaurants before, but I can only imagine how authentic it would be in the place where this dish originated from. Boeuf Bourguignon, which is a traditional French meal— it’s a stew made of beef braised in red wine, beef broth and seasoned with garlic, onions, fresh herbs and mushrooms. Delicieux! Another classic French dish is Confit de Canard. Duck confit is a tasty French meal that’s made of duck legs. The preparation of the meat may take up to 36 hours! The duck meat is gently mixed with salt, garlic and thyme and left to absorb their aroma for more than a day. It is generally fried or grilled afterwards, and served with roasted potatoes and garlic on the side. I personally haven’t tried this, but anything made by the French is just mouthwatering.    

I can’t wait to experience France. I hope that France is exactly how I have pictured it to be. Next time you're reading a magazine article about France, just think about all the fun you can have. The sights, the people, the environment, and the food will all be a new and exciting experience. I hope that I helped you decide where you want to go on your next vacation. Afterall Paris, France is the city of love and you just might find your significant other there. I hope that you have enjoyed our trip to France. There’s still a great deal to see, so why don’t you head on down to France?                                                         

Bon Voyage!