Is This My Country? | Teen Ink

Is This My Country?

August 2, 2016
By another_sky PLATINUM, Dallas, Texas
another_sky PLATINUM, Dallas, Texas
31 articles 8 photos 22 comments

Favorite Quote:
“And once the storm is over, you won’t remember how you made it through, how you managed to survive. You won’t even be sure, whether the storm is really over. But one thing is certain. When you come out of the storm, you won’t be the same person who walked in. That’s what this storm’s all about.”
― Haruki Murakami


I'm sitting on a railing outside the dining hall after having cleaned as much as I could, waiting for it all to be done. I see the towns, nestled betweening rolling mountains, twinkling in their night life, the only stars I can see on the base here. It's beautiful. The view makes me sing hatikva. A commander asks from the dark, " who is that? Get down!" Who am I to go against orders? I swing down, but commander, have you ever seen your country from here?


The author's comments:

This happened while I was on Gadna, a military camp for three days for teenagers in Israel. I am not Israeli nor do I live there however I had the opportunity to participate in this program as part of my summer trip to Israel as a jewish teen. The question was always in my mind, "Is this my country too? How strange that is, and how different..."