Alonurez Part 1 | Teen Ink

Alonurez Part 1

April 8, 2012
By AirtightSpring3, Lake Forest Park, Washington
More by this author
AirtightSpring3, Lake Forest Park, Washington
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Author's note: This is part of a piece I have been writing for a while and am submitting it for an english project.

Sir Ross was a noble man. He had manors, slaves, riches, all that a man could ask for in life. He was a kind man, he treated the villagers well and even sometimes gave money to the beggars. He did not like to ride atop stallions to impress the people, instead he liked to walk among the people on the streets.

This very day he was walking down the streets with his slave Conroy and for some odd reason there were no people. This was one of the back alleys of town, he knew that, but usually there were a beggar or two. Very fishy, thought Ross.

Ross didn’t have much time for thinking though because at that very moment he felt a sharp pain in his back. Conroy had stabbed him with a knife. Sir Ross fell to the ground, Conroy then used the knife to make the stab look like an arrow wound, so nobody would blame him right away.

His assassination plan would have worked perfectly if another noble man was not riding his horse around the corner and into the alley at the exact moment Conroy had stabbed Sir Ross. Conroy had already made sure the streets would be cleared when they walked down them today by setting up a fake money for the poor party in the park.

Now the new comer yelled, “Murder! Sir Ross is dead!” Little time did he have to yell because a knife appeared in his through near a second later. Conroy ran and jumped onto the saddle of his horse and headed down the rode.

Two men sat atop a roof eating lunch. One was fairly tall and muscular with a large sword on his back wearing light armor. He had dark brown hair and brown eyes. The other man was also semi tall, not quite as muscular, but had a look upon him like he was in charge of things. He had a short sword and a bow on his back with a quiver of arrows. This man had light brown hair and ocean blue eyes.

The two men sat atop the roof, eyeing this dirty little town. Ugly brick buildings with falling apart wooden roofs, small stalls set up near the ugly little park with dead trees. This town could be considered equal to a combination of the backstreets of a small village combined with a landfill. The two men were laughing and enjoying their conversations until they saw a man fall from his horse with a knife in his neck.

The man with the bow, whose name was Streak, jumped up and ran towards the next roof and jumped. The other man close behind him. He jumped off the building falling towards the street, pulling his bow out and loading an arrow in mid air. He rolled quickly to lessen the fall, then he pulled the bow back and shot. Conroy was knocked clean off the stolen horse.

By this time people were coming to investigate the yells that the now dead noble had committed. The people saw Streak and his friend, standing with weapons among three dead men and put two and two together. Guards were there very shortly.

“Hawken, I’m thinking we should run.” Streak said

“Yea that might be a good plan.” Hawken answered

The two men ran towards an alley and jumped from wall to wall up onto the roof of a house. Running across the rooftops sending loose pieces of wood flying, while the two men were being bombarded with arrows shot from guards. Streak saw they were running out of roofs to leap across, and shot an arrow down towards a stack of crates below. The crates fell out into the city making a barricade. The men jumped off the roofs and ran to the city gates.

The guards at the gate did not know what happened until after the two man had already ran out the gates and were sprinting across the fields. In a couple minutes horses were galloping out the gates and towards the fleeing men.

“Damn it, why do we have to get blamed for this.” Streak muttered.

“Maybe, it’s because you like to try and do the right thing.” Hawked scowled.

“Well it’s their lives or ours, should we attack the guards?” Streak asked.

“Hmm… Think of it as if they were attacking us for something that we didn’t do, wait they are!.” Hawken laughed.

“Hawk, this is no laughing matter, we will have to kill innocent people.” Streak said, “That’s not the way we usually operate.”

“Yes Streak but they are trying to kill us now, I want to live so I will fight.”

“Fine, I don’t plan on dying today.”

Streak turned around and knocked an arrow and sent it flying. The lead guard, about twenty meters away fell from his horse, wounded but not dead. Two more guards fell before the rest were upon Streak and Hawken.

Streak discarded his bow and pulled out his sword. Hawken also drew his blade. The men went away parrying the strokes of the guards. Dishing out their own strikes, usually just enough to stop the enemy from moving or knock them out, because they did not want to kill these guards. When only about a quarter of the guards that were there to start with were left they turned and ran. Streak and Hawken letting them go. They picked up their things and starting jogging towards the mountains, leaving the poor town they had known behind them.

The two men decided to camp at the foot of the mountains that night. Nobody would have the courage to come after them just yet, after the show they had put on. Streak whistled and a falcon flew up and landed on his shoulder. “Go hunt boy, bring us back meat.” The bird flew off again.

“So what do we do now?” Hawken asked

“ Well I say we wait for dinner.” Streak replied
“I meant what are we going to do in the long run?”

“Head up into the mountains for now, cross over into Sorgic territory to escape this violent country.” Streak said

“Fine, but I still say all this is odd, how come you had to go and kill that renegade.”

“I don’t know Hawk, maybe because I felt that traitor deserved to die.”

“That’s not enough reason Streak, you could have helped by trying to capture him.” Hawken moaned, “Now were stuck fleeing the country.”

“Well I actually think I may be good, to start our lives over again, maybe in a nicer town.” Streak said, “Try to think positive.”

Just then the falcon returned with a rabbit and a dead mouse in its claws. Streak started a fire and cooked them. They gave the mouse to the falcon raw, while they ate the well done rabbit. The two went to sleep and awoke the next morning, finding that the falcon had brought them another rabbit. They divided it among the three of them and packed up camp, heading up into the mountain.

They decided not to take the immediate pass, guards may be there. So they climbed free handed up. About a hundred feet up they stopped on a ledge where they could sit and rest.

The two men took a minute to take in the countryside. Seeing far beyond the small town they had left behind. The vast forests and plains of the Bruntmont kingdom all around them. The grand plateau looming in the distance. It was slightly beginning to snow now, and their vision was becoming clouded. Eventually fog covered almost everything, after a while they couldn’t even see the small town.

“Streak I really think we should look for a path soon. My hands are starting to get bloodied up from climbing already, and I really don’t like the pain.” Hawk said.

“Fine, we’ll head up this rocky little trail here until we find the side pass, not many people know of it. I don’t even know if it is real, I’ve only heard stories.” Streak replied.

They walked up the rocky path and in about an hour it was pouring snow. The two men walked in silence for a little longer until they came to a white clearing, the drop to the clearing was about ten feet, but the men jumped it. Streak just noticed that he had been dumb enough to leave his bow down at the bottom of the mountain. He had hidden it during the night so it would not be stolen. Now he realized what a bad idea that was.

“What’s wrong?” Hawk asked

“I left my bow at the camp…” Streak muttered, “Oh well, that’s in the past, lets get going.”

The snow was lessened greatly in the clearing and there was a small path leading up into the mountain. Shortly after walking up it they heard men yelling. “Jack lets kill these god damn wolves, I’m starving.”

“Fine make sure nobody sees, it is illegal to kill wolves.”

“Who is gonna see us up here, you moron?”

Two wolves starting moaning, young by the sound of it.

“Stop right there!” Streak yelled

“Who the hell was that?” the unnamed man asked

“Head back or we will kill you!” The man named Jack yelled.

Streak and Hawken stepped forward to see two burly bandits with bows and swords. “I’d rather not, leave or we will kill you.” Hawken threatened.

“We have bows, so you stand no chance.” The unnamed man laughed.”

“Wanna go buttercup?” Hawken threatened again.

“Cocky are we?” taunted Jack

“No, we know were better then you.” Streak said running forwards.

The man shot but streak blocked it with the flat of his sword, he then sliced downwards, the unnamed man taking his sword out to parry just in time. But the man was of lesser talent, he was just bandit, Streak was a fierce mercenary. Streak faked a strike to the legs then stabbed towards the heart, finding he had made a clean stab. The man fell dead at Streak’s feet.

Hawken cried out in pain as arm was shot. He dropped his sword to the ground. Streak threw his blade, catching Jack by surprise and Jack fell dead.

Streak ran to Hawken and picked him and the two swords up.
“I can walk you moron.” Hawken said, “I got hit in the arm not the leg.”

“Next time try not to get shot at all.” Streak warned

“Whatever,” Hawken replied, “Anyways, great job out there.”
“What’s that?” Streak pointed

The two young wolves were looking at them, then they started walking upwards on a rocky pass.

“I think they want us to follow them.” Hawken pointed out the obvious

“Well done genious, lets go!” Streak said jokingly.

Streak and Hawken began to follow the wolves up a rocky trail in silence. They had no idea where they were going, but they hoped it was somewhere warm, because they were freezing. The two wolves kept walking ahead silently looking over their shoulders to check if the two men were still following them.

After quite some time they reached a very large clearing, with more wolves in it. Then a deep voice from a large rock boomed out.

“Thank you for saving my children Streak Sparrow, welcome to the clan of the Blood Wolves.”

“How do you know my name?” Streak Sparrow asked the large wolf.

“I can read minds,” the wolf said sarcastically

“That’s pretty cool,” Hawken commented

“No you idiot… The bird told me,” the wolf said in contempt

There was a silence for a few moments then Hawken decided it was time to talk.

“Now that we have discovered I’m not very smart, can we get to the point?”

“Which is?” The wolf questioned.

“Why did you bring us here?”

“Well I actually did not bring you here, my daughters did.” The wolf started to answer Hawken’s question, “They probably brought you here to give you some sort of thanks for saving their lives. Although I do not approve of them bringing two men into our territory, I guess we do owe you our thanks.”

“Okay,” Hawken said, “one more thing, why did you say Streak’s name when we got here and not mine? You know I helped save your dearly beloved daughters too.”

“Actually you stood there getting shot…” Streak taunted.

“No… Umm… I was a distraction so you could kick the guy’s ass,” Hawken replied.

“Right… well you are the bigger target,” Streak laughed.

“Well I do have the muscles in our group,” Hawken said seriously while flexing his arms.

“Sorry to end your argument, you both seem like quite the gentlemen,” the wolf said, “But I plan going to answer Hawken’s question. I said Streak’s name when you two were brought here because I did not know yours, and he seems to be the leader of your little group.”

Hawken thought for a moment, trying to come up with an answer that seemed logical to him. “Well first of all, my name is Aaron Hawken, but you can just call me Hawken or Hawk for short. Also Streak may be the leader type yes, but I’m the buff one.”

“We’ve already heard you bragging your strong young man, but us wolves don’t care for strength, as much as speed and ability to use stealth, which you seem to lack,” the wolf taunted Hawken then continued, “Anyways would you boys like a tour around the territory, now that your here.”

Streak replied, “There is something I need to check out, sorry I really must be going while the trail is somewhat fresh, but I think it might be better if Hawken stays here for this.”

Hawken tried to argue but the wolf started talking first, “Would you like one of my daughters to help guide you, we know the mountain area very well and are good fighters.”

Sure that would be great,” Streak said happily

Streak picked up his sword and starting to leave the clearing, a female wolf leaving her seat in the pack and following him. After Streak left, Hawken said, “I’ll still take that tour,” He paused for a moment then continued, “wait I don’t even know your name Mr. Wolf.”

“My name is Scar,” the wolf informed Hawken.

“Okay well Scar, I would still like that tour,” Hawken said

“Okay- Scar started only to be interrupted by Hawken, “But could one of your daughters be leading it?”

“Very well, I guess that will work,” Scar muttered, “Serena please lead this sad excuse of a man on the tour.”

“Yes father,” the second daughter said.

Hawken started following the young wolf away from the others, they had not gone ten paces out of earshot when Hawken said, “I am guessing you are Serena, which is a very lovely name.”

“Are you attempting to flirt with me?” Serena questioned somewhat angrily.

“No, just a compliment, besides your father is kind of creepy.”

“Very well, yes my father can be somewhat as you put it, creepy at times” Serena said in a serious tone.

“How did you wolves learn how to speak in the human language?” Hawken asked.

“Well, a very long time ago the wolves and humans used to be one, well they lived together anyways. We helped them hunt and they took care of us. That is the way things worked. But one day the humans tried to use us in their battles, we did not agree with this so my ancestors left the humans. The humans had told us many of their secrets unknowingly, but we had kept all of ours safe. We learned many things from them, one of those things being the human language,” Serena answered thoroughly.

Hawken was quiet for a moment taking it all in, then he said, “Wow, so what other secrets did the humans teach you?”

“I do not know if I am supposed to be telling you this, but you helped save my life,” Serena said, “Well tried to help; anyways from the humans we learned hunting tactics, ways to run our tribes, the human language as you already know and most surprisingly somehow our ancestors learned how to turn into humans. The alpha family and some of the nobles can turn into humans.

“I am guessing you are in the alpha family?” Hawken asked

Serena answered, “Yes, my family dates back for thousands of years, we have ruled the Blood Wolves for all that time.”

“That’s pretty cool, I wish I could turn into a wolf…” Hawken muttered, he started walking a little bit slower.

“Well I’m sorry but that is impossible,” Serena said.

“That’s a little harsh isn’t it?” Hawken questioned sadly.

“It is the truth Mr. Hawken,” Serena intoned softly, beginning to pick up the pace again because it was starting to snow lightly.

“You can just call me Hawk,” Hawken smiled, catching up with Serena, and shivering from the cold.

“Okay Hawk, your not used to this cold weather are you?” Serena asked, staring at Hawken.

“I’m not from the mountains, but I’ll manage.” Hawken grimaced, the snow was falling down harder now and it was starting to freeze on Hawken.

“We do have warm coats in our Alpha Cave,” Serena said.

“Alpha Cave, is it kind of like a human hut?” Hawken asked.

“Well it is fairly small and we usually sleep in our wolf form, but yes we do have human clothing in there,” Serena answered, now she pointed towards a set of caves in the mountainside they were standing near, “Those are the warrior caves, a large amount of our population are warriors so many wolves stay in these dens. The warriors cannot turn into humans so these dens are much smaller than the one my father and I stay in.”

The two started to walk away, Hawken asked, “When will we be seeing this Alpha Den?”

“We can go there next if you would like,” Serena replied.

“It is a little chilly so a coat would be nice,” Hawken said

“Okay then, we will head to the Alpha Den,” Serena agreed, she changed the direction they were going in, now towards a large hole in the side of one of the tallest mountains. The two walked there fast, not having much time to talk because Hawken was getting very cold, even though he was far to proud to admit it. After about five minutes they arrived at the Alpha Den.

“We are here,” Serena stated, walking inside. Hawken followed her in.

The Alpha Den was large, the den started in a small clearing with a wood burning fire pit, then there were several small caves in the wall leading to various rooms where the occupants slept.

“Nice place you have here.” Hawken said admiringly.

“Well we are the Alpha Family,” Serena said, “It’s warmer in here than it is outside by quite a lot, it gets quite hot being a wolf in here sometimes.”

“So your saying your going to transform?” Hawken asked, a quick look of interest on his face, which could be seen from the light of the fire.

“Well… naturally, yes,” Serena said, “I’ll go into my father’s chambers and get you a coat.”

“Sounds great,” Hawken replied, Serena went into a cave and left Hawken sitting by the fire. Hawken started thinking, I’ve got to admit Serena is cool, well for a wolf. Actually, I haven’t met many wolves in my life. Now that I think about it, I have actually never talked to a wolf before. I wonder how Streak’s doing? He’s probably all business, I feel kind of bad for Serena’s poor sister, having to be with that man.

Just then Serena walked out, as a human, holding a coat. She had dark brown hair tied up behind her head, she was wearing clothing made out of grey fur, probably due to being a wolf. She tossed Hawken the coat and he caught it quickly putting it on, “Thanks Serena, and I just wanted to ask, are all wolves this beautiful?”

Serena began to blush, her face turning red by the light of the fire, “I’m guessing that was just you attempting to flirt again, but if you were actually serious, yes most of us our since our parents have some control over what we look like and don’t want ugly children, but I won’t go in to that.”

“Again I meant it as more of a rhetorical compliment,” Hawken laughed.

The lookout for the Pyran Bandit Hideout was sitting up in his post alert. He had just seen a hooded figure come out of the trees that led towards the looming wooden walls of the hideout. “Stop right there!” yelled the lookout. The lookout could now see the figure more clearly, he had a black robe on, with a red bird imprint on the back, he had a long sword hung over his shoulder and what appeared to be a falcon on his shoulder.

The man replied, “Why should I leave? You have no business telling me what to do,” the man said.

The lookout was shocked at the mysterious man’s confidence, he prepared another statement, “Leave or I will kill you, that’s your reason for leaving scum,” said the lookout emphasizing the word scum.

The man took a moment to respond then said, “I highly doubt you will be able to kill me, if you would like to try, please be my guest,” said the man, pausing for affect and seeing the surprised look up the tower on the lookouts face, “I suppose you have a boss?” the man continued, “Yes, you would have to, I would like to speak with him, thank you kind sir,” finished the man.

“What business do you have with our boss?” the lookout questioned accusingly, “I want the truth, or I’ll call the guard on you,”

The man continued walking to the line of standing up logs that were the bandit’s outer wall. “I want to become a bandit,” said the man simply, “I want to kill for fun, hunt where I want and when I want, and find some loot,” finished the man shrugging his shoulders.

“I’ll check in with the boss, wait right here for admittance,” the lookout ordered the man.

The man said nothing in reply; in turn he took a dead mouse out of a pouch at his side and put it into his falcon’s mouth. The falcon tore it to shreds and ate it. He whispered something to the falcon and it flew off. “My hunch was right,” the man muttered to himself. A minute later the lookout returned, “You will be able to come in, but don’t try any funny business, I will take your weapon and my comrades will lead you to our boss’s quarters,” the lookout told him.

“Yes that is all very well,” said the man, who now walked through the open gates, gave the lookout his weapons and walked up to a group of five men. They gestured him to follow. They went up a slope past fallen logs, and a gloomy forest to reach another gate. One of the men put a key into the gate and opened it. Now they were into a small village. There were about six or seven log buildings in total here. But the man with the key gestured the newcomer to follow up to the next gate. There another guard let them past. They went up a steep hill, where four men with bows sat in tall towers. The man with the key and the newcomer both went into the large log building.

“What is your purpose here boy?” asked a man sitting on a tall wooden chair.

“My name is Sparrow- the other man cut him off by laughing, “Your name is Sparrow even though you have a red falcon stitched to your back?” the man on the chair continued to laugh.

“Yes sir, I would like to join the Pyran Bandits,” said Sparrow, now while the man was thinking for a moment Sparrow took the time to take notice of his features, he was well muscles and would be a hard opponent at any time. He had many scars, so Sparrow guessed that the way your became the leader of the bandits was through fighting. The man was bald with a thick mustache, and he was a fair amount taller than Sparrow.

Sparrow’s thinking was interrupted by the man in the chair, “You would like to join our ranks, hmm… If you can beat on of my men in the fighting arena, you can join, if you fail to defeat my man, you will die.”

“We have a deal,” Sparrow said immediately.

Surprised at Sparrow’s enthusiasm the man on the chair said, “Take him to the arena men, today he will fight for his life,”

“My life?” Sparrow questioned, “Ha sounds like fun” The man that had escorted Streak to this room gestured for him to follow. The two left the room, Sparrow followed the man up a large hill with dying grass and large sharp rocks. After nearly a minute of walking they reached a large wooden structure. A gate opened. “Good luck…” The man grunted.

“Why thanks,” Sparrow said, smiling at the man.

“Your gonna need it Streak,” the man said grinning, then he pushed Streak Sparrow into the arena.

“Streak Sparrow, I am so glad that you could join us today.” The leader of the bandits said, “My name is Kiron, the chief of the Pyran Bandits, men for those of you who do not know Streak Sparrow, he has come here under the name Sparrow, quite a foolish thing actually, just getting rid of your first name. Him and another man killed two our men the other day while we were wolf hunting. Charlie, our scout heard his name said by the man named Hawken and brought us back the news. Today he will fight me in battle, and he will loose,” Kiron finished.

For a moment Streak was very surprised, how does he know all this… he thought to himself. Finally he spoke, “Why are you so sure I will loose?” Streak asked in a laughing manner.

“Because you hesitated before saying that,” Kiron said, “Also because you are not as skilled as I am.”

“Somebody is humble,” Streak mumbled, drawing all eyes of the bandits in the stands to him.

“Did you just insult me boy?” Kiron said, “Fine then, you will fight with no weapon.”

“Now that’s not even- Streak started but he got cut off, “Sir we have caught a man with two wolves, on the border, we have brought him here to be dealt with.” With that’s Streak’s eyes glittered, his back-up plan was going well now. “Bring the man in,” Kiron ordered.

A few moments later Hawken was brought in chained, with two wolves on leashes following behind him. “Who are you?” Kiron asked.


“I am Hawken, and I am here to help my friend,” Hawken said, motioning with his head towards Streak.

“Little help you will be,” laughed Kiron, “Men kill Hawken.

“Wait!” Streak yelled, drawing all eyes to him, “I demand a dual battle, for the rights of the bandit code now invoked, me and Hawken against you and whoever your deputy is,” Streak finished.

“You want to battle me, and my second in command?” Kiron questioned.

“Basically, yes,” Streak answered smiling at him.

“Fine but if you knew anything about the bandit code, you would have specified your terms for the battle. But since you did not, and since I am the leader of the territory we are in at the moment, I make the terms,” Kiron said, trying to pause for effect, “The terms are, we fight as we are, but Hawken can be released from his chains,” Kiron finished

“As we are?’ Hawken exclaimed, “Streak and I have NO WEAPONS!” The crowd started laughing at Streak and Hawken, “Oh shut up already,” Hawken yelled.

“Yes, as you are, I will use my hammer, and my second in command Danny, will use Streak’s long sword,” Kiron told them, a look of anger coming into Streak’s face.

“You will use my long sword?” Streak questioned

“Yes, and you will fight using your fists, so basically you have two weapons and we have only one,” Kiron stated

“Very funny,” Hawken said, “Your weapons are a lot stronger than ours, plus you stole our weapons.”

“Yea I know we did, but I don’t really give a damn, pretty boy,” Danny insulted

“Enough, we will start the fight,” Kiron said, jumping into the arena and taking his large hammer off his back. Danny followed him in, picking up Streak’s long sword before he jumped from the stands. Hawken was let free of his chains, and was not looking very happy. All the sudden Streak whistled very loudly.

Danny rolled his eyes at Streak’s odd sound and then ran towards him. When Danny reached Streak he tried a overhead left slash with the long sword, Streak easily avoided the strike, probably because Danny was not very skilled with this weapon. Danny tried to lunge, Streak rolled under Danny and punched up trying aim for his soft spot, but to Streaks surprise and agony, there was a metal cup there. Streak cried out in pain, Danny turned around to laugh now starting a diagonal slash at Streak, who in turn rolled to doge.

Hawken was running around the arena trying to keep out of reach of Kiron’s hammer. Kiron jumped into the air and pounded the ground next to Hawken's feet, knocking him off balance. Kiron swung the hammer smashing down towards Hawken who rolled, barely evading it, he now stood up and tried to punch Kiron in the jaw with an uppercut, but Kiron brought the hammer up in defense, smashing Hawkens' hand against the metal. Now Hawken continued his running around scared strategy.

All the sudden a large shadow passed over the arena, it looked like a bird. A bundle was all the sudden falling from the sky. It landed in front of Streak in the arena. Danny was looking up at the sky to try and see where the bird was. Streak took these few seconds to open the package. Inside he saw his lost bow and twelve arrows in a quiver. There were also two daggers in the package. Danny looked and saw the package, he turned and tried a overhead slash at Streak, but Streak had already grabbed the daggers. He parried Danny’s slash with ease. Now Streak ducked down under Danny and grabbed his sword and twisted it until he dropped the sword, now Streak took the flat of one of the daggers and hit Danny over the head with it multiple times, until he fell to the ground, knocked out.

Kiron, all the sudden dived at Hawken and swung his hammer towards Hawken’s jaw, Hawken was sent flying across the clearing and banged his head on the wooden wall of the arena. Kiron had not seen yet that Danny was knocked out, and that Streak had his bow in his hand, with an arrow knocked. Kiron raised his hammer above his head, about to deal the finished blow to Hawken when all the sudden he heard a whoosh. An arrow had appeared in his thigh, he heard Streak curse, Streak had missed his target by a long shot. But all the same Kiron spun on his remaining healthy leg, and dropped his hammer. “I surrender if you will spare me,” Kiron said defeated, “You may have whatever it is you wanted Streak Sparrow, just spare me.

“You sicken me,” Streak said, “You were fine with a fight to the death when I had no weapons, but now that I have the upper hand, it’s a fight to surrender. I will spare you, but you and your people will give me what I want, but just to warn you you won't be happy about it.”



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.