The King's Owl | Teen Ink

The King's Owl

March 2, 2020
By Anonymous

A very long time ago, there was a powerful and wealthy kingdom known far and wide as Fukurodani. The walls of this prosperous kingdom surrounded a large town, which surrounded an even larger castle. People who have visited the prosperous kingdom swear that everywhere they went, there was always the Fukurodani banner in sight, showing the pride of the citizens. The banner was a white, black, yellow, and midnight blue, with a proud looking Great Horned Owl adorning the center.

The ruler of this well-known and powerful kingdom was known far and wide as King Bokuto Koutarou. King Bokuto had come into power after his father passed away. His father was a wise and practical leader, and the stories that wandering travelers, foreign merchants, and tourists often heard depicted him as such. King Bokuto was his son, so everyone, including his own citizens, depicted him as more or less of the same.

While all of these things are great qualities of a leader, anyone who truly knew the young King knew that he was quite the opposite. In fact, it wasn’t the King who was responsible. It wasn’t the King who held trade meetings with the neighboring kingdoms, or discussed politics with the royal advisors, or kept up good relationships with fellow royalty.

It was the King’s Owl.

 

                                               *     *     *

 

“Hey, Dai, can you come help me with this bread?”

The butcher turned his attention away from the meat he was slicing to see the silver-haired baker from across the street peering into the backroom where the former was currently working. Daichi put his knife down. “Sure thing, Suga,” he said with a smile.

“I closed up early so I could bake, but I think I was in over my head. I definitely made too much dough,” Suga let out a nervous laugh.

“No, it’s really okay,” Daichi reassured. “I was thinking about closing up early today too.”

“Well then let’s go,” the silver-haired man grabbed Daichi’s hand and began dragging him out the door. Daichi managed to flip the sign on the door to his butcher shop to read ‘closed’ before following his friend across the street to the bakery, where he proceeded to help him make pastries.

The two friends indulged in idle chatter. They were on the topic of whether or not to go visit their friend who works in the palace while frosting cakes, before the bell above the door chimed, signaling the entrance of a tiny bolt of dark brown and spiked hair.

“Hey Suga, hey Daichi!”

Daichi jumped in surprise at the sudden noise. He looked up to see said friend who works in the palace jump over the counter to the bakery and hug Suga.

“Hey, Noya.” Daichi braced himself as Nishinoya launched himself at him just like he did with Suga. Daichi would be lying if he said it didn’t hurt a little, due to the steel palace armor his friend was wearing.

The bell above the door chimed again, this time signaling the entrance of the tall, brunette giant known as Asahi. “Sorry about him,” Asahi apologized for his friend. “I tried to slow him down,” the carpenter blushed lightly in embarrassment.

The baker and butcher gave out light laughs at their friends’ antics. “It’s okay, Asahi,” Suga said through his laughter, “we all know how hard it is to control Noya.”

“I’m right here, you know!” Nishinoya ignored the laughter that continued from his friends. “And anyways, I have news!”

“Gossip. Not news,” Asahi clarified.

“Oh?” Suga asked. He set down the icing that he’d been using to ice the newly baked cake to turn his full attention to his friend, who was now sitting on top of the counter. “I didn’t take you as one for gossip, Noya,” Suga teased.

“Oh, don’t even try to pretend that you’re not into gossip Suga,” Noya retorted. “Anyways, it’s about the king.”

“Oh yeah?”

“Yeah,” Nishinoya said confidently. “I overheard some of the other guards talking this morning. They were talking about the King and a woman they saw in the palace. I think it might mean the King has a wife.” Suga and Daichi’s eyes both widened at the information.

Asahi face palmed. “Noya, that’s ridiculous. Why would the King not tell people about his wife; that is, if he even has one.”

“Besides,” Suga added, “King Bokuto is an honest and practical leader. Hiding something as important as a wife seems uncharacteristic of him.”

 Their conversation was suddenly interrupted by the chiming of the bell above the door once more. “So, what’s this I hear about the King?”

The four friends looked to the door. The black-haired man who’d entered was dressed head to toe in palace armor and was sporting a cat-like grin. He was also carrying a large bag, which had what looked like vegetables in them.

Daichi smiled. “It’s nice to see you, Kuroo.”

Kuroo made his way to the counter. “Nice to see you too, Daichi. You too, Suga.”

“So, what brings you to the bakery?” Suga was pleasantly surprised to see Kuroo but was still a little confused at why a full-time palace guard would show up at his bakery at four o’clock in the afternoon.

“I had to run some errands,” Kuroo said. Daichi detected hints of disdain in his voice.

“Oh, so Mr. ‘High and Mighty Head of the Royal Guard’ has been demoted to Errand Boy, huh?” Nishinoya teased.

“Shut up, Noya.” Kuroo spouted. Daichi could tell that there was a lot more that Kuroo wanted to say. “Yaku needed ingredients and Lev is up north visiting his family.”

“C-Couldn’t they have just gotten one of the lower rank guards to do it?” Asahi stuttered out.

“I’m the only one Yaku trusts to get the right stuff besides Lev. Besides, you guys know how Yaku is with his ingredients.”

Nishinoya almost shivered at the memory. “Fair point.”

Kuroo gestured to the bag that was still in his hands. “Anyways, Yaku wanted some bread. Mind hooking me up, Suga?”

“Sure thing, Kuroo.” The silver-haired man ran to the back to retrieve two loaves of bread while the others remained conversing. Daichi was starting to think (well, hope) that Kuroo had forgotten all about him and Nishinoya discussing the King; but, sadly, fortune was not favoring Daichi at the moment.

“So, what’s this I hear about the King?”

Daichi internally swore. Kuroo was his friend, but he could be a real pain sometimes.

“Well,” Suga said as he rejoined the group, bread in hands, “Nishinoya was telling us about how he heard a rumor while on duty. Here you go, Kuroo.” Suga placed the loaves of bread in Kuroo’s hands, which then proceeded to shove them haphazardly in the bag.

“Oho? What type of rumor?” Kuroo’s interest was now peaked. Kuroo would be lying if he said he didn’t love to hear a good rumor every once in a while; and then ultimately shoving it in whoever told the rumor’s face that it wasn’t true. He was Head of the Royal Guard after all, so he knew almost everything that happened within the palace walls. He’d also been around long enough to know that most rumors that circled around the palace were all lies.

“It’s about the King,” Daichi said. “It’s kind of great that you showed up. If anyone can debunk this ridiculous rumor,” he flashed eyes at Nishinoya, “it’s you.”

“Well, I do love debunking rumors. So, tell me, what’s the rumor.”

The four friends made eyes at each other, silently arguing over who’d should be the one to spill. Surprisingly, it was Asahi who stepped up to the plate. “Nishinoya heard two guards saying that the King may be hiding a secret wife. You wouldn’t happen to know anything about that, would you?”

Kuroo was silent for a moment. For a second, the four friends (well, mainly Nishinoya) thought that the raven-haired man was shocked that someone had found out, or that Kuroo was terrified that he’d lose his job over this secret getting out. But then, all those thoughts went put the window as Kuroo started cackling like a maniac.

“HA- are y-you serious?” Kuroo barely managed to get out the words before he tumbled to the floor, curling himself into a ball in the midst of his hyena like cackle. “Y-you’ve got to be kidding me, HA!”

Daichi, Suga, Nishinoya, and Asahi just stared in confusion at the raven-haired male, who’d somehow managed to keep all the ingrediants in the bag, that was now on the floor, from tumbling over.

Nishinoya thought for a moment before answering. “Uh, yeah, actually. They were talking about what the guy who started the rumor said the so-called secret wife looked like.”

“HA, this should be good,” Kuroo laughed out loud. Even Daichi, who was never really one for drama, was interested in the new information. “So, tell me,” Kuroo said, “what does the so called ‘mystery wife’ look like?”

“Well,” Nishinoya, “they said that the wife had dark black hair, and sea green eyes. They also said that in the palace, she follows King Bokuto everywhere he goes, always checking to see if he’s okay.”

“She sounds like an amazing woman,” Suga chimed in.

“Yeah,” Daichi added. “If she does exist, the King’s lucky to have her.”

Kuroo face-palmed. The sound resonated throughout the mostly empty bakery. “Gentleman, I can guarantee this rumor is absolute lies.”

“And how can you do that,” Nishinoya challenged, despite knowing that Kuroo could probably prove it anyways.

“I know because what you just described to me was the King’s Owl.”

Utter silence. The sheer sense of stupidity was uncanny. Daichi, as well as the remaining three friends, mentally slapped themselves for thinking something so utterly ridiculous and obviously fabricated.

All at once, the silence of the bakery was shattered by the distinct sound of Kuroo’s hyena-like laughter once more, which was then followed by Suga’s laughter, then Nishinoya’s, then Asahi’s, and at last Daichi’s. Yeah, they felt stupid, but it’s not like it was the end of the world. Besides, Kuroo’s maniacal laughter was somehow contagious.

Once the five men calmed themselves, Kuroo looked at the time on the clock that hanging on the nearby wall. “Well, I should probably get going.”

“Do you have to leave?” Suga asked. The silver-haired man didn’t talk to Kuroo as Daichi did, but he still enjoyed his company, nonetheless.

“Yeah, I’m pretty sure Yaku will wring my neck if I’m not back at the palace with his ingrediants.” Kuroo grabbed the bag ingrediants that he’d left on the floor before thanking Suga and hugging Daichi goodbye.

“Later, Kuroo.”

“Later, Dai.”

Kuroo released his grip on his friend before making his way towards the door. He was only a foot out before he turned back to the four friends. “Just so we’re clear, no, the King is definitely not hiding a secret wife,” he said.

“Way to rub salt in the wound, Kuroo!” Nishinoya shouted, but said man was gone before he heard it. The small man brushed it off before starting a new conversation; this one, thankfully, gossip free.

While Suga, Asahi, and Nishinoya were talking, Daichi couldn’t stop thinking about the words Kuroo spoke before exiting the bakery. He thought he may have been imagining things, but he thought that there was something off about the way Kuroo said ‘wife’. While the other three may have just brushed it off as teasing, Daichi had known Kuroo long enough to know when Kuroo’s stretching the truth. Did Daichi think that Kuroo was telling the truth, yes. Did Daichi think Kuroo was telling the whole truth, no.

The words stuck with Daichi for the rest of the day. Even after he’d left the bakery and gone home, the way that Kuroo said ‘wife’ occupied his mind. His last thoughts before succumbing to sleep that night were,

What’s the King hiding?

 

                                             *     *     *

 

“Hey Yaku, I got you’re stupid ingrediants!”

“Would you stop complaining? It’s done, so quite whining.”

The kitchen of the palace was mainly empty aside from Yaku and a few subordinate chefs (Yaku ran the kitchen), and of course Kuroo, who’d slammed open the doors not too long ago.

Yaku looked up from the stew he’d been making moments ago. “Did you get everything I asked for?”

“Would you quit worrying? I got it, so calm down.” Kuroo sauntered into the kitchen and placed the bag on the nearest countertop. “Anyways, I heard a new rumor about Bo today.”

“It better be a good one, otherwise you have five seconds to leave my kitchen.”

“I swear, you become a different person when you cook.”

“Oh yeah, what kind of person.”

“I take that back. Not a person, a demon.”

Annoyance was so evident on Yaku’s face that it almost pained Kuroo to look at it. Quietly, the brunette cook started counting down ‘five, four, three’.

“Okay, okay! It’s good, I promise.”

“For Christ’s sake Kuroo, just tell me before I start throwing my kitchen knives at you.”

Kuroo was about to open his mouth, but then he noticed several pairs of eyes staring at them. Yaku seemed to have noticed as well, because the next second, he said ‘leave us’, and soon all the other cooks had scrambled out the door, not wanting to face the wrath of Yaku.

“So, anyways,” Kuroo resumed, “apparently Bo’s hiding a secret wife.”

Yaku almost tipped over the pot of stew he’d been stirring. Kuroo was about to ask if he was okay before laughter rang out through the kitchen.

“Ha, oh my God, do people actually believe that?” Yaku gasped out.

“Well Daichi, Suga, Nishinoya, and Asahi believed it.”

“You’re kidding.”

“Nope,” Kuroo said popping the ‘p’. He waited for the small cook to calm down before continuing. “Apparently, this mystery wife has ‘dark black hair’ and ‘sea green eyes’. She also apparently follows Bokuto around like a puppy.”

“Well,” Yaku said, resuming his stirring, “at least they got one thing right. Well, what did you tell them?”

“I told them the truth.” Kuroo took back his words as Yaku stared at him in horror. “Relax, Yaku! I didn’t tell them about ‘Kaashi, I just told them that they were talking about the King’s Owl, not a ‘secret wife.”

“Which technically is the truth,” Yaku said smugly. Kuroo wasn’t the only member of the palace staff that liked to have a little fun with rumors. “Man, I can’t wait to tell Bo about this.”

“Tell me about what?”

Kuroo and Yaku turned around to the entrance to the kitchen. There in the flesh, stood Bokuto Koutarou. His usually spiked black and white hair was down from the day’s work, and he was wearing a white button up with brown slacks; or, to put it in laymen’s terms, commoner clothes.

“BO!”

“KUROO!”

The two males ran at each other full force before settling into a hug that probably would have been able to shatter Yaku into pieces. “I don’t get you two idiots,” the cook said crossing his arms, “you two saw each other not even five hours ago,” Yaku said as he used a pot of water to extinguish the fire that was heating the stew so it wouldn’t burn.

“Can’t a man hug his best bro without being judged?” Kuroo retorted.

“Yeah, what he said,” Bokuto said.

“You’ve never been one for comebacks, Bo. Leave this to me,” Kuroo teased the King as he released his grip.

“Rude.”

Now normally, any other member of the palace staff would have started in disbelief at the current scene. Who can blame them? The King is wearing commoner clothes, the Head of the Royal Guard is hugging the King like it’s no big deal, and not to mention said Head of Royal and Guard and the Head Chef just insulted the King within thirty seconds of being in his presence.

However, these were not any ordinary members of the palace staff. These were two of King Bokuto’s best friends since childhood. King Bokuto would rather be locked up in the royal dungeons before having to treat two of his best friends like he treated the other palace staff; like employees.

“So,” the King said, “what did you want to tell me about?”

Kuroo smirked coyly. “I was just telling Yaku about a new rumor I heard about you today.”

“What kind of rumor?” The King’s eyes shone with child-like innocence. Kuroo thought that it was a wonder how he’d managed to become King.

“Apparently,” Yaku stated, arms still crossed, “you’ve been hiding a secret wife from the rest of the Kingdom.”

“I think that’s the best one I’ve heard so far,” Bokuto said, chuckling a little. “Anything else about this ‘mystery wife’?”

“Apparently, she’s got ‘dark black hair’ and ‘gorgeous sea-green eyes.” Yaku watched intently as the smile on Bokuto’s face only grew larger.

“Well, I can think of someone like that. Except, it’s definitely not a secret wife.” Bokuto’s eyes shone fondly as he thought of the black hired and sea green eyed beauty.

Yaku carried on. “She also supposedly follows you around all the time.”

“Which if you asked me, they switched up the roles on that one.” Kuroo interjected.

A new voice rang out through the kitchen. “I can definitely confirm that.”

 “AKAASHI!” Bokuto yelled as he ran towards the mysterious newcomer, who braced themselves for impact as Bokuto launched himself at them just as he had done with Kuroo. The newcomer was wearing a dark blue, regal looking button with pure white pants. They were wearing a dark blue, button up shirt and pure white pants. They looked more regal than the King at the moment.

Bokuto held the newcomer in his arms as he nuzzled into their midnight black hair. Their sea green eyes tried to convey annoyance, but Yaku and Kuroo only saw affection.

“Hello, Kou,” the newcomer said.

“I missed you, ‘Kaashi!”

“You saw me thirty minutes ago, Kou.”

“I still missed you, though!”

Kuroo and Yaku rolled their eyes at the King’s antics. “Hey, Akaashi,” they said in unison.

“Hello Yaku, hello Kuroo,” Akaashi said. Once Bokuto released him from the hug, he let out a big sigh of relief. Bokuto suddenly started apologizing for nearly suffocating him, which Akaashi just waved off as he caught his breath. “So,” he started, still a little winded, “I heard something about a rumor?”

And that’s how the four friends ended up sitting on the counters of the kitchen, the stew, as well as all royal duties forgotten, talking about the ridiculous and hilarious rumor. Kuroo sat open-legged on the counter, Yaku with crossed legs, and Bokuto and Akaashi sitting together with fingers intertwined and Akaashi’s head against Bokuto’s shoulder.

“So, wait,” Akaashi said, “what did you end up telling them?”

“I told them that all the things described the King’s Owl.” Kuroo said. “Which technically isn’t a lie.”

 “Honestly, I’m just surprised that you two have managed to keep this under wraps for this long,” Yaku said as he looked at the couple.

“Agreed,” Akaashi said.

“Oh God, I just realized they probably think Bokuto’s in love with an actual owl,” Kuroo said. The group laughed at the joke.

“Well, it’s not a lie,” Bokuto said. “Akaashi is my adorable owl, after all.”

Akaashi tinged pink. Kuroo pretended to gag.

“Oh, shut up, Kuroo. You’re just jealous because Kenma doesn’t call you any cute nicknames,” Yaku said.

Kuroo’s face went red at the mention of a certain Royal Advisor. He got over his embarrassment pretty quickly, as he retorted, “Are you sure you wanna go there, Yaku? Maybe that’s why you were being so mean earlier, because Lev’s gone and you’re pissy about it.”

While the two palace staff members bickered, Bokuto and Akaashi stayed in their own little world. That is, until Bokuto decided to ask a question that snapped Akaashi back to reality. “So, how much longer do you think we can hide this?”

Akaashi took a while before answering. “I honestly don’t know. We should probably tell the Kingdom about it soon. Or at least the rest of the palace staff.”

“Fair point.” The black- and white-haired male wrapped his arm around Akaashi. “Hey, look at me for a sec.”

Akaashi lifted his head off of Bokuto’s shoulder. “What is it?”

“Whatever happens, whatever we decide to do, know that I’ll be beside you no matter what. I love you, Akaashi.”

“I love you too, and I know that you’ll be beside me because I’ll be beside you too.”

Bokuto smiled. “You’re my adorable, amazing owl, Akaashi.”

Akaashi smiled as he looked back down at their intertwined hands. He smiled even brighter once he saw the matching gold rings they both proudly adorned.

“Yeah,” Akaashi said, “I guess I am.”



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.