Letters to Tatsu | Teen Ink

Letters to Tatsu

By YasarI, Elk Grove, California
YasarI, Elk Grove, California

Dear Tatsu,

This whole day has created more questions than answers. It originally started with me reading today’s paper while listening to the radio. They were talking about how the Imperial Japanese Army bombed Pearl Harbor during World War I, and how we should do it again to the U.S if we wanted to win. But I found the whole idea Shiketeru (distasteful) because they’re willing to kill thousands of people because of a stupid war. As I was grabbing the last roll of sushi from my plate I looked out the window and saw it, a gigantic  ray of white light followed by a path of destruction. As I saw it quickly approaching my house, I jumped under the table fearing for my life. Luckily I had survived, but our neighbors, the Tanakas, sadly weren’t so lucky. Tatsu, I have no idea if you’re alive or not, but I’m writing these letters in case you find them one day.

-Love Hakaru

Dear Tatsu,

It’s been five days since I’ve last written but so much has happened recently.  To start off, I have left our house and decided to venture into the city to look for anyone who’s in the Imperial Army. On my journey, I was horrified by what  I witnessed. Firstly, everything was, destroyed, houses, buildings, farms… everything. Nothing was left standing and if it was, it was unstable. What was the most eerie was the fact that we can still see the shadows  of the people disintegrated into the wall. What I believed was the worst was watching the survivors. They were trapped under rubble and couldn’t get out, and the ones who did make it out, were either forced to have their arms or legs cut off. As I’m writing this, an Imperial Soldier I’ve befriended is shouting at people to “Abandon this area, it’s filled with high levels of radiation.” Tatsu, if I eventually find you, and our daughter, I am praying that Inari Ōkami (Japanese god of Fertility) will keep you and the baby safe.

-Love Hakaru

Dear Tatsu,

They finally did it. The Imperial Army finally surrendered. But at what cost? The cost of thousands of deaths? The destruction of a whole CITY? Right now the government believes that we need to relocate. Travel to an unpolluted area, since the bomb contaminated the water, soil, and air. We were forced to leave our home city, the place we grew up in, and made so many memories. The Imperial Army believes we should travel a long distance away from all the radiation. The goal today is to start preparing for this long travel, and spend eight days walking and then they’ll decide if we should keep moving or not. The only issue that is holding me back is all of the memories we have made growing up here. I mean after all we both grew up together here, and this is the city that I proposed to you in. I just can’t leave without you. Tatsu I can’t leave without knowing what happened to you and where you are, but if your still alive you would want me to continue moving and stay safe. I really hope we can find each other again because I don’t know how much longer I can survive without you tatsu, your the love of my life, and you're also carrying our baby, please stay safe for all three of us.

-Love Hakaru

Dear Tatsu,

We have finally determined an area where we can rebuild Hiroshima. Scientists have determined that it’s far enough away from the blast, but I still feel homesick about being having to stay in a new place without you. The Army started sending troops, and scientists to help us build our new city, and to determine how long everyone has till the radiation inside kills us. I was talking to Fujio, one of the scientists, has told me, “you have only two weeks left to live, maybe three since you haven’t developed any side effects yet,” but the thought of me dying without having you by my side is worse than being without you.

-Love Hakarutsu

Dear Tatsu,

According to Fujiro, today is my last day. The radiation in my blood cells has finally reached my entire body. I’ve been coughing up blood for the past few weeks, and I’ve been losing feelings in both of my arms, and I can barely move my left leg now. Before I say goodbye in this letter, I just want to write that I love you and hope that you take care of our beautiful daughter, wherever you are.

Goodbye Tatsu,

-Love Hakaru