Back In the past | Teen Ink

Back In the past

The sun was shining, burning the skin of the people. The clouds were bright blue. The  white women’s heels were clicking against the concrete. Screaming people in pain yelling “No justice,no peace.” The sound of smoke bombs slapping against the ground. The police yelling at the top of their lungs “Move.” The soulless bodies dropping to the ground as the water from the fire rips their skin. The sound of running feet. The faces of the whites, smiling to try and tame their peace. They all lived on 16th street by the Baptist Church.

It was a normal day in Birmingham, Alabama in 1963 with the three best friends Jake, Marissa and Kevin. They went to the same school named Rolland High. It was a high school where most African Americans would go because whites didn’t allow them

in their schools. Even though there were many riots going on due to segregation and racism, the 3 friends still managed to give each other peace. They all were different but would always be interested in the same thing. 

Kevin was more of a boy who didn’t care, he was a strong one. He protested in most of the riots. Kevin wouldn’t take any crap. If you came at him in any way, he would address it. He was the bold one of the group. Marissa was the only girl of the group. She loved school and always stayed positive. Her and her family always went to church and never missed a Sunday. She was the peacemaker of the group. Whenever Jake and Kevin would fight she would break them up. Speaking of Jake, he was the smart and geeky one of the group. He would really come out of his shell when being around Marissa and Jake. He was really good at school. Moreover, they belonged to each other, all were equal. They always would go outside and play many different games like hopscotch and tag. 

It was a Sunday morning and Marissa was headed off to the church like usual. Jake and Kevin were still asleep. But there was something weird about this day. After Jake woke up, he had the certain urge to look on the news. 

“There has been a bombing at the Baptist church where hundreds were killed including a girl named Marissa.” 

Before the news lady could say Marissa’s name Jake was already in complete shock. The pain in his stomach was not a weird pain but instead a death pain. His heart began to beat out his chest as his tears went pouring down his face. With in disbelief of Marissa being killed, he still managed to call Kevin to give him the news.

“Kevin, it was a bomb. Marissa. She’s dead.” Sobbing Jake.  

“What!” Kevin cried out.

“Can you come over?” Jake wept. 

“Yes, I am on the way.” Kevin sighed. 

As Kevin walked outside he could see the angered people protesting and screaming, “We want Justice!” “WE WANT JUSTICE!” Vroom! Vroom! the sound of the police cars. Pow! Pow! The popping noise of the guns. 

Kevin walked in the door running to hug and comfort Jake. 

“We gone be alright, we gone be alright,” Kevin gently spoke.

“We have to do something?!” Screamed Jake.  

“What can we do,” Kevin responded confused.

“I got it,” Kevin stormed to the back of his room. 

Boom! Creak! Pow! The sound of Jake rummaging  through his closet. 

“Whatcha doing with that?” Kevin reacted confused again.

“It’s a time machine, I’z waz thinking we could go back in time to stop the bombing.” Jake responded.

“Where you get that from,” Kevin responded with confusion. 

“It waz a science project we did in school, iz don’t if it works, but iz finished it,” Jake replied. 

“How ya know it works?” Kevin spoke in fear. 

“So what we do is put these helmets on, then the bookbags with the timer and iz press start on this little watch i got and Boom,” Jake voiced. 

“We gonna have to see. But why not try and save ha, Kevin I miss her,” Jake added. 

“Will you does it with me?” Jake added. 

“Ya mama a get me if iz don’t,” Kevin joked with a stern voice.

Jake and Kevin put on all of the equipment and was beginning to go back in time. 

The first place they landed when going back in time were their beds. They were both asleep and before they knew it they let the day happen again. Moreover, because they were asleep until 10, they had to set back the time to at least 7 am sharp. 

“It happened again, what they did!” Kevin hollered.

“Oh man we forgot to correct the time, we only did the day,” Jake sighed. 

“Again!” Jake added.

“Let’s go” Kevin replied.

They tried it once more and they had made it to their bedrooms at 7 oclock. They called each other and Kevin started to walk to Jake’s house. As Kevin was walking 2 police officers pulled him over.

“Whatcha doing out here boy,” the policeman yelled with anger. 

Kevin was so scared his arm hairs raised against the sweat on his neck.  

“Just going to my friends house sir,” Kevin replied shakingly. 

“Little boy going to his friend’s house,” the policeman laughed. 

“ I-I don’t want no trouble sir, I’z just going to my friend's house,” Kevin spoke with fear. 

“Stop getting smart with me boy,” the policeman quivered. 

Before Kevin could reply back he was already pressed against the car contemplating on whether or not he would live. Just as Kevin's thoughts began to go he was able to slip through the officer’s arm as he began to get the cuffs. Zoom! Pow! Pow! Ching Chang! The sounds of Kevin’s feet scattering and trash cans dropping. Waaaaaahhhhhhh! We O We O! The policeman following behind him. As Kevin ran the policeman then lost him and he was at Kevin’s door. 

“The police are after me man, i don’t know if we gonna keep doing this” Kevin panicked. 

“Let’s go, Let’s go,” Jake expressed quickly. 

They ran and ran until they could find a spot to travel again. 

“I’m tired Jake, I can keep doing this,” Kevin communicated. 

“So you just gonna quit, Let Marissa DIE?” Jake ranted. 

Kevin was lost for words. He didn’t wanna quit but he didn’t wanna die either. 

“I know you is scared Kevin, but we almost there.” Jake added. 

“One mo time,” Kevin considered. 

“One mo time,” Jake smiled. 

They began to put back on their equipment and traveled. They were back in their bedrooms at 7 and this time Kevin took the back way to his house to prevent the police from getting him. They sketched out a plan to get in the church and seek the bomber. In addition to that, they had everything planned out. They headed to the church around 8, which was way earlier than the bomber and they sat behind the trees and waited. The bomber arrived and they were ready to start their plan. 

Kevin approached the bomber and began to distract the bomber. Although Kevin was terrified of what may happen, he still went in. 

“Whatcha doing here sir, my name is Kevin,” Kevin joked. 

“You get outta here boy,” the bomber yelled. 

“Why sir?” Kevin laughed. 

While the bomber grew angry and Kevin joked. Jake couldn’t find the bomb. He looked everywhere for it, until he noticed it was in the bomber’s hand. Jake grew in fear and his heart was at the bottom of his stomach when he realized he had to get the bomb. As he began to build up the courage, the presence of Marissa distracted him when she walked in the church. 

“GET BAC-,” before Jake could finish, the time was too late. 

Jake and Kevin weren't aware of the time on the bomb and it went off killing the bomber, Marissa, Jake and Kevin. 

The newspapers did not no longer read “Child died from bombing in church,” it read “Bombing in Birmingham.”