Praecido | Teen Ink

Praecido

By Stormygirrl GOLD, Montverde, Florida
Stormygirrl GOLD, Montverde, Florida

Author's note: I wrote this for a school project and tweaked the last three scenes. I'm not a screenwriter in the slightest, but this story hits close to home for me and I know some of the things in it will for others.

I didn't study before-hand all the terminology associated with screenplays and camera angles so...I'm sorry if it's inadequate.

Background Information: Kathy is a 15 year old girl who has a small group of close friends, gets through school with A's and B'sand keeps a job at the local bakery. But she has become more reclusive since her parent's divorce and death of her ten year old brother that occurred one year ago. She has lost all interest in going out with friends and locks herself in her room whenever at home, rarely eating. Kathy almost never talks to her father, whom she lives with. Jake is a new student to McKinley High School, he plays soccer and lives with his grandparents.

Scene 1

EXTERIOR- SMALL URBAN TOWN- BAKERY SHOP- MID-OCTOBER
The camera is following a young girl, she is running around taking orders from hungry customers. She's wearing a dark purple, long sleeve shirt and black denim shorts. A splotch covered apron is worn over her attire. Four people are lined up requesting their orders and pre-ordered cakes. Camera pans around the counter showing that she is working alone and its near closing time. Camera turns to ,once again, follow the girl. Her once tight bun has fallen slightly, light brown angel hairs flailing around in the stir of her rush. Close-in on her face. Her face has light streaks of flour and her fingers are several different shades of blue and red, from edible dyes. A man with designer glasses and a dark grey tailored-suit steps to the front of the line.

MAN (Impatiently)
I need my cake!

YOUNG GIRL (Exhausted)
I'll be with you as soon as I get to the lady in front of you, sir.

MAN (Impatiently)
I'm going to miss my appointment!

YOUNG GIRL (Sincere)
I'm sorry, you'll just have to wait.

The impatient man crosses his arms and taps the tip of his shined, leather shoes on the tile floor. The young girl is shown rushing to get the woman her order and ring her up with one hand and giving two other customers their cake with the other. The camera spins to show the two people with the cake leave and the lady is heading towards the door. The young girl closes the cash register and turns towards the man standing alone and extremely impatient at the very edge of the display case.

YOUNG GIRL (Politely)
What'll you have, sir?

MAN (Unamused and angry)
I'll have a bakers dozen (points to several chocolate covered delights) of those.

YOUNG GIRL (Slightly Impatient)
Ok and is that all?

The young girl has the mark of many sleepless nights and sorrow written all over her face. She is clearly exhausted and is constantly looking at the clock across the room, on top of the entrance door. The camera zooms in slightly and reads two minutes before 5. The feeling of anticipation is flooding from the young girl's face.

MAN (Angry):
Did I say I wanted anything else?

YOUNG GIRL (Half-Hearted)
Well…no.

MAN (Angry):
Exactly, so shut up and get me what I ordered!

The young girl is stunned by what the man says and quickly produces his order. The camera follows her around and you can hear the man calling her incompetent and rude under his breath. Tears start to fill her eyes as she turns around and heads to the cash register. The camera zooms in to see her hide her face from the man who is now standing in front of the register. Tears are shown, fighting not to fall.

YOUNG GIRL (Struggling):
That'll be $10.56, please.

MAN (Irritated):
I should get a discount for the poor service you've given me! Unbelievable…

The man pulls out a ten dollar bill and the exact change. He picks up his box of treats and slams the money down on the counter, turns around and walks away. The bill flies under the register and the coins ping and pang all over the floor. Several are followed, by camera, as they roll in opposite direction.

MAN (Sarcastically)
Have a nice evening!

The man leaves chuckling. The camera 360s to the young girl, who is on her hands and knees picking up the sprawled pennies and dimes on the floor. We can see several tears falling to the ground, leaving little puddles as she crawls on the floor. As the man is leaving a young boy enters the bakery. He is 16 with blonde hair and soft blue eyes. He is wearing a dark grey blouse and dark blue, old jeans. The young boy walks up to the counter and sees that no one is there. He quizzically looks around and sees an opening where he can get behind the display case and counter. The camera trails behind him as he cautiously walks behind the counter. There in front of him, on the floor, is a girl looking underneath the display case. She has her arm out-stretched.

YOUNG BOY (Confused)
Hello?

The young girl bangs the side her arm hard against the display case at the sound of his voice. She slowly removes her arm from underneath, showing a handful of coins. She looks up to see a handsome guy about her age staring down at her concerned. He bends down and helps her up.

YOUNG BOY (Concerned)
Are you ok? How's your arm?

He reaches to pull up her sleeve, but she pulls away.

YOUNG BOY (Concerned, Confused)
Wait, no, let me see.

YOUNG GIRL (Assertively)
I'm ok, it's fine.

The boy looks at her, discouraged.

YOUNG BOY (Sincere)
Look I'm really sorry I scared you, I saw the door open and I didn't see anyone at the counter…i'm really sorry.

The young girl looks at him closely, studying his facial features as he talks. He's extremely good looking and well dressed, he has a smile that could light up a room and eyes that could tame the harshest of beasts. She quickly takes down her messy bun and smooths out her hair.

YOUNG GIRL (Cool-headed)
No worries, I understand. I'm alright.

YOUNG BOY (Confused)
If you say so. Well, uh, what's your name?

The young girl hesitates a moment and questions whether to answer. The young boy stands there waiting patiently for her answer.

YOUNG GIRL (Plainly)
Kathy.

The young boy extends his hand.

YOUNG BOY (Cheerily)
Nice to meet you, Kathy. I'm Jake.

Kathy looks down at his hand blankly. A nervous feeling wells in her stomach.

JAKE (Jokingly)
Look…I'm not gonna bite, honest.

He looks, in urgency, from her to his hand, gesturing to shake it. Kathy hesitantly shakes his hand, slowly.
He smiles at her sweetly. She smiles back half-heartedly and walks to the cash register and places the coins in their correct slots. She hides her face from him and contemplates her feelings.

JAKE (Concerned)
Are you ok? Did something happen?

Kathy looks back at Jake confused and he points to her face. She picks up her hand and brushes it against her face. The camera zooms in as she looks at her hand. Nearly dried tears wet her hand and she quickly looks up at jake, embarressed.

JAKE: (repeats)
Did something happen?

KATHY (Nervous/Embarressed)
Oh…it's nothing. Just some guy came in and said a few things that got to me.

Jake shakes his head in understanding. He walks up to her and hugs her.

JAKE (Understandingly)
I understand, but don't let whatever he said get you down. He's not worth it.

Kathy is stunned at his touch and a little apprehensive of him. Her facial expression is of shock and confusion. Not sure if she can handle these conflicting emotions. And we can see that she has not had close interaction with anyone in a while. She pulls away slowly.

KATHY (Confused)
Um, thanks

JAKE (Happy)
Anytime. I gotta get going, but it was nice talking to you.

The camera zooms in on jake as he takes out a small slip of paper from his back pocket and a pen from the counter and jots down a phone number. He hands it to Kathy. The camera moves from Jake to kathy. Kathy looks down at the paper in her hand as the camera zooms in for a close-up.

JAKE (Happy)
I'm new to McKinley High…So text me sometime, ok?

KATHY (Slightly dazed)
Sure.

He smiles at Kathy and walks towards the door, the clock reads 5:26. He waves good-bye to her as he walks through the door. As the door closes the came spins around to view Kathy staring at the door. She watches him leave and stands there for a moment, obviously stunned by his beauty and of the events that just took place. She recovers from her daze and picks up her school bag and grabs a set of keys. She locks the register and walks to the door, there is a set of light switches that she switches off before walking out the door. The sun is close to setting and the air around her is cool. The hustle and bustle of the 4 o'clock rush hour has now diminished to a few stray people walking down the street. Kathy heads in the opposite direction of Jake, back home.

END SCENE.

I wish I could have put in more detailing or added a few more chapters.

Scene 2

INTERIOR- MEDIUM-SIZED BEDROOM- LATE NIGHT

The camera is slowly twisting around the room, closing-up to the bed and corners. The room is dark and cluttered. The room is decorated with black furniture and black/purple decorations. We see that the bed it unmade and empty and the sound of emo/punk rock is playing softly in the background. The only light is coming fro a purple lava lamp standing upright near the door. The glow from the lamp lights up a path leading to our main character, who is sitting in one of the back corners of the room. The camera zooms in on her. She is crying and we see that he hands are covered in blood. She picks up a small blue towel and cleans her hands. The blood stains her fingers. The camera looks down to show a bloody razor-blade on the floor beside her. Camera returns to Kathy's face and we see her close her eyes and lean her head back against the wall. Tears still continue to stream down her face. Several blurry flashbacks fog the screen. Then they blur out back to Kathy. Close-up of her crying face.

SCREEN GOES BLACK

EXTERIOR- PARK- EARLY DAY/A FEW WEEKS LATER

The camera falls from the blue sky to Kathy who is sitting under a large oak tree who's branches are nearly bare. Several leaves fall around Kathy and two black birds zoom past the tree. We can hear the sounds of kids slashing in the lake and laughing and talking of happy families walking around the park. The camera zooms in on the books titled Where the Red Fern Grows and then to Kathy's face. She seems to be very concentrated on her book and she is wearing blue jeans and a white, long-sleeved top. Her light-brown hair is pulled back in a tight ponytail.

JAKE (Excited, Suprised)
Hey!

Kathy jumps slightly and looks up quickly. She sees Jake standing in front of her with a ear-to-ear grin on his face. He is glowing the the sunlight and is wearing a maroon t-shirt and dark-colored khakis.
Kathy and jake have known each other for a few weeks now. They go out almost every night and Kathy has developed strong feelings for Jake.
Behind him she can see some of her friends pass by, two look at her then back to the rest of the group. She looks away hurt. Jake looks back at the group.

JAKE (Confused)
Those some of your friends?

KATHY (Sad/Hurt)
They used to be…

JAKE (Sad)
Oh…I'm sorry, um, what are you doing?

He looks down at her book with concern, then at her face. She looks at her book and closes it, she blushes and offers him a seat beside her. He sits down beside her.

KATHY (Flustered)
I was reading a book, but now…nothing.

JAKE (In Good-heart)
Good! I thought we could go over to the lake.

Kathy quickly looks at Jake and then down at her clothes.

JAKE (Laughing)
Oh, no, we won't get in it. I just thought it'd be nice to go look at and hang by.

He looks up at the old tree and grimaces at its' dark features. Kathy shrugs and gets up. Jake stands up as well and starts walking towards the large lake just to the right of them. Kathy trails just behind him, she looks back at the tree and her book and back at Jake. His whole physique and we can see Kathy blush, obviously thinking about something to do with Jake.

JAKE (Happy)
Isn't it ironic that I found you here?

KATHY (Bashfully)
Yeah it is, actually. *Under her breath* More like lucky...

Kathy and Jake drive at the lake, its a clear green color. You can see the outlines of a few fish swimming beneath the surface. A few larger fish are seen swimming near the middle though we cannot see what kind they are. There are several people rowing canoes and paddle boats around the edges of the lake, we can see them laughing and joking with family. Kathy looks around at the families and drops her head, tears start to well in her eyes, but she pushes them back down.

JAKE (Encouragingly)
Why don't we get a little closer? There's a dock just right there.

Jake points to a small wooden dock just feet away. Kathy looks from the dock, back at him. Jake is smiling encouragingly and takes her hand. Kathy blushes bright red and Jake starts to walk her to the dock. We can see Kathy react warmly to his affectionate act. Kathy and Jake walk across the wooden dock to the very edge. Kathy stares down into the bottomless abyss where flecks of shimmery fish are swimming below. Kathy leans in closer to see the fish and Jake stands just beside her. Jake unconsciously let's go off Kathy's hand. Kathy looks into the water as Jake looks around. We can see she is staring at his reflection in the water. She gets lost in thought about Jake. A strong breeze picks up and Kathy loses her balance. She falls into the lake with flailing arms as she splashes hard into the water. The lake is freezing cold and we see Jake reach down to grab Kathy"s hand. We see Kathy is refusing to give him her hand. Jake urges her to grab it, but she still refuses. Jake pleads one last time and Kathy reluctantly reaches for Jake's hand. Kathy's sleeves are suddenly pulled back by the weight of the water that has soaked into her clothes, exposing her arms. Jake grabs her hands and starts to pull her up.

JAKE (Worried)
I got you, don't worry.

Jake looks at Kathy's arms as he pulls her up and see that there are lines of scars leading up her arm. He also notices that there are fresh marks on the upper part of her arm. Jake manages to pull her up and her pulls her in close. He looks around to see a crowd has started to form behind them. Jake turns to the crowd.

JAKE (Sternly)
She's ok, nothing to see here.

The crowd starts to leave with the soundtrack of murmurs and hushed gossip.
Jake turns back towards Kathy and turns her arms up to his face.

END SCENE.

This is where I ended my story the first time wrote it

SCENE 3

The scene continues where the last scene left off. Camera zooms in on Jake.

JAKE (Speechless, Scared, Suprised)
Kathy…What are these?

Kathy pulls away with embarrassment. The camera leans in as she pulls down her soaking wet sleeves. We can see Kathy is shivering from the cold and nervousness.

KATHY (Embarrassed)
I…I…

JAKE (Furious)
Why would you do that to yourself? What would make you think that hurting yourself is ok?
How did you think this would make me feel? Do you know how much I care about you..?

Jake pauses.

Jake (Sad, Calmer)
How much I care for you? How much this hurts me?

Kathy is shown with tears in her eyes, her skin turning purple from the cold. Jake wraps his jacket around her and walks her out of the park, holding her close. The camera follows loosely behind them as they walk down the sidewalk. Jake is still holding Kathy close and his head is hanging lower than usual. The camera swings around them into a close-up of Jake's face, it is very sad and he is wearing a frown that we have yet to see. He turns his body towards her and looks into her eyes.

JAKE:
Kathy, why would you do this? What is so bad in your life that you would think that this is your only sanctuary? Do I not make you happy?

Kathy looks down, hiding her face.

JAKE (Fear, Deep Sadness)
Well..?

Kathy looks up slowly, she has tears rolling down her face.

KATHY (Painfully)
Jake, you wouldn't understand.

JAKE (Half-hearted)
Try me.

Kathy starts to cry even more and she sinks her head into Jake's chest. Jake holds her for a moment then lifts her head up to his face.

JAKE (Urgingly)
Tell me, please. Help me understand.

Kathy tells Jake that her younger brother, Austin, died a year ago from a heart-attack and how she blames herself for not helping him when he pleaded her to listen to him, that his chest hurt. Their father came home 15 minutes later and rushed him to the hospital. But it was too late and he died. She told him that her parents had recently gotten divorced and neither of them fought for custody. The camera, it slowly closing in on Kathy and Jake as Kathy opens her heart for the first person in years. She confesses that a few months ago while shaving she accidentally cut herself deep and it released some of the pain she felt. The camera turns to show Jake with his eyes closed. He slowly opens them and see Kathy staring back at him, tears streaming down. Jake pulls her in and hugs her tightly.

JAKE
Kathy, I care about you so much and I can't just sit here and watch your hurt yourself. This isn't fair to your friends, to your parents to you or your brother. How would he feel if he saw what I've seen? There are other ways to feel good. I won't let you hurt yourself anymore. Your brother's death is not your fault and just because you didn't see them fighting over you, doesn't mean that they didn't fight to keep you.

Jake pauses.

Jake (Open-hearted, With Great Emotion)
I have loved you since I first saw you. You are so beautiful, Kathy. Inside and out...Why would you ruin that. I'd do anything to stop this pain.

KATHY (Crying)
I love you too Jake! I have since day one...Since second one! You make me happier than any person on this Earth, I just, can't stop.

Jake pulls Kathy in and kisses her passionately. We can see that both Kathy and Jake feel something beyond amazing when their lips meet for the first time.

JAKE (Star-Struck)
Kathy, we can end this. Together, me and you. We'll get you a psychiatrist. Babe, I promise I won't give up.

KATHY (Dazed)
But doctors and meds and stuff are for crazy people, I'm not crazy.

Camera pans to show that Jake takes Kathy's hand and kisses it tenderly. Camera swerves back to Jake and Kathy's faces.

JAKE (Solumly)
I had type-one diabetes, I take insulin and special medication everyday to help me cope with my depression.

Kathy looks up at Jake quizzically.

KATHY (Astonished)
Why do you have Depression?

JAKE (Sad)
My parents died in a car crash when I was 11, I was in the car with them. I live with my grandparents now, but it was really traumatic. I watched them both die while I was pinned in the backseat. I take anti-depressants to help me.

We see Kathy thinking deeply about all that Jake has said. The camera starts to spin slowly around Jake and Kathy as she makes her decision.
The camera stops and pulls in, Kathy looks up at Jake with a smile.

KATHY (Confidently)
Ok, I'll stop.

JAKE (Overjoyed)
Seriously? Like...You promise?

KATHY (Truthfully)
For you...Jake, I'd do anything.

JAKE (Ecstatic)
Thank you, thank you!

Jake hugs Kathy and swings her around. The camera turns to view an elderly couple staring oddly at them. Jake, embarrassed, waves at them with a half-smile. The couple looks weirded out and walks off quickly.
Jake turns back to Kathy. He pulls her in again and kisses her softly. Then pulls away to wipe stray tears from her cheeks.
He wraps his arm around hers and walks her down the side-walk. The camera pulls back and we see them walking into the orange and red sunset. The camera levels and shows the sky. The clouds are puffy and pink, streaks of purple and orange, the sun is a deep orange. The camera slowly starts to go black as a flock of birds flies into frame.

I felt bad ruining their happiness and their fun in the next scene.

SCENE 4

INTERIOR-HOUSE-LATE EVENING

Camera closes in to see Kathy and Jake in Kathy's room. We see several small, overturned boxes of razor-blades on the bed. We also see Kathy and Jake walking around the room searching through drawers.

KATHY (Tired)
I think we got em' all.

JAKE (Tired)
Yeah, let's just go with that. I'm too bored to keep looking.

The camera closes in sighing and Kathy and Jake flop down on Kathy's bed. We see the bed doesn't shake as they both fall down at the same time.

JAKE (Quizzically)
Why kind of bed is this?

KATHY (Blushes)
Temper-pedic...

JAKE (Flustered)
Oh, it's nice.

Kathy and Jake lay on the bed in silence for a few seconds. Kathy slowly sits up and moves to where Jake is laying. The camera pulls in as Kathy starts to get on top of Jake.

JAKE (Alarmed)
Whoa! What are you doing, Babe?

Kathy does not respond. The camera zooms in even more as Kathy kisses Jake, slowly at first and then the kissing turns into lust. The camera levels with Kathy and Jake. We see Jake move his hand up Kathy's baby-blue shirt. Kathy laughs and pulls off her shirt. She flings it behind her and it hits the door with a light thud.
Kathy starts taking off Jake's Maroon shirt as well. Both are staring deeply into each other's eyes.
Kathy tosses the shirt in the same direction as her shirt. Kathy and Jake both stop and mesmerize the other's body.
Jake pulls Kathy in and they start making out once again. We see Jakes hands moving all over Kathy's back and chest.
Kathy moans softly and starts to inch her hand down Jake's pants.
Jake stops her. Kathy tries again. Jake stops her again and sits up.

KATHY (Concerned, Hurt)
Jake...What's wrong?

JAKE (Embarrassed)
Nothing, just I...I...

KATHY (Confused)
What? Did I do something wrong?

JAKE (Embarrassed)
No, no it's not that. It's just...

KATHY (Irritated)
Just what?!

JAKE (Embarrassed, Hesitant)
I'm a virgin. There, I said it.

KATHY (Confused)
So...?

JAKE (Slightly Angry)
So, I want it to be amazing when we have...well you know, I don't want to mess it up.

KATHY (Understanding)
Jake, I've never had sex either. But I want to with you. And you don't think I'm afraid that I might be bad at it?

Jake looks down at the floor embarrassed. Kathy takes Jake's face in her hands and kisses him tenderly. She pulls back and holds his hand.

KATHY (Encouraging)
This is a new experience for both of us, but we'll learn together. Ok?

JAKE (Happy)
Ok. We'll try, but stop me if anything's wrong...alright?

KATHY (Laughing)
Ok babe.

Kathy pushes the boxes off the bed. They fall and two burst open, shooting blades everywhere. Kathy shrugs it off and hits the light switch near her bed. The camera circles around showing Kathy slipping off her shorts and Jake doing the same with his. Jake crawls over to Kathy and slowly takes her bra off and then her undies. Kathy slowly starts to take off Jake's underwear and
lays down in the center of the bed. Jake kneels on top of her and moves his hands across her body.

JAKE
Are you ready?

KATHY (Truthfully)
Yes.
I love you, Jake.

JAKE (Happy)
I love you too, Kathy.

The camera zooms into Kathy's face. We see Jake lean into her. For a second she whines out-loud and her faces is full of pain. But the next is filled with ultimate pleasure. The camera zooms in to show Kathy pulling at the sheets and Jake grabbing the black, wood head-board.
The dark purple and black sheets are all mixed up and droplets of sweat are forming on the surface.
We see Kathy and Jake in heated passion as the camera spins around them, levitating up. The screen starts to go black as we hear the sounds of laughter and passion ringing around the room.

SCREEN BLACKS-OUT

Fin!

SCENE 5

INTERIOR-BATHROOM-EARLY WINTER-EARLY DAY

The camera is facing a large mirror. Kathy is standing, head-down in the center between two marble sinks. The five lights above the mirror are dimmed, but there is enough light shining through the window above the shower to light up the bathroom. The camera zooms in slightly to show Kathy is holding something in her left hand. Tears are shown continuously falling on either side of the object. The camera lifts up and zooms into Kathy's point-of-view. The device is now shown face up and a tear hits the device. It is a pregnancy test and the dial in the middle is pink with a positive sign in the middle.
Kathy looks up at the mirror, along with the camera and shows tears flowing down her face.
There's a knock on the door.

JAKE (Happy)
Kathy? Baby? Are you ok in there?

KATHY (Covering up her crying)
Yeah, yeah everything's fine!

She reaches for a tissue box near the top edge of the counter. She pulls out several tissues and starts to wipe stray tears and running mascara and eyeliner from her cheeks.

JAKE (Concerned)
Are you sure? Babe, what's wrong?

KATHY (Confused, Sorrowful)
Jake, I said I'm...

Jake opens the door before Kathy can finish. He sees Kathy standing at the marble counter and her make-up is running. Her eyes are puffy from crying and she is holding something in her hand. The camera moves back to show them both.

JAKE (Alarmed)
Kathy...what is that? Why are you crying?

Kathy collapses to the floor in a sob. Jake rushes over to her with the camera fallowing behind. He picks her up into his arms and holds her. With his right hand he picks up the device laying on the floor. His facial expression changes completely; from concern to utter disbelief.

JAKE (In Shock, Shaky)
Kathy...

Kathy begins to sob even more. The camera closes-in to show that Jake's black and white-stripped shirt is stained with tears and mascara. Kathy's clothes are soaked and covered in black smudges. We can see Jake's entire body is shaking and he is looking into a space just off camera. Kathy picks up her head slowly and wipes her nose and face.

KATHY (In Agony)
Jake, what are we going to do?
I'm pregnant!

The word pregnant echoes in Jake's head. He is unresponsive to Kathy's cries. The room becomes distorted and we see he experiencing vertigo. The camera zooms out to show Jake and Kathy's entire body.
Kathy is shaking Jake by his shoulders.

KATHY (Screaming)
Jake! Jake, answer me!

We see Jake is slowly slipping away, his vision is becoming dark and things are blurry. Camera turns to show Kathy defeatedly sitting back against the sink cabinets. She stares blankly into space then grabs for Jake's hand. Camera zooms in to show she is still staring blankly. She squeezes Jakes hand. Camera zooms out and takes on Jake's perspective.

The room is nearly black and he is close to passing out. He continues to stay immobile.

KATHY: (Dazed)
Jake?
PAUSE. (Whispers)
Jake..? I'm scared...

Jake's vision goes black and we can hear Kathy screaming. The sounds fade to what sounds like a baby's cry.

BLACK-OUT

END OF SCENE 5 AND STORY

-

CREDIT SCENE