Runaways | Teen Ink

Runaways

March 22, 2017
By nicolekonsulova, Des Plaines, Illinois
More by this author
nicolekonsulova, Des Plaines, Illinois
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Author's note:

What inspired me to write this piece is the issues that people dealt with in the past, and today. This book is supposed to show two different sides of two different people, who are similar in more ways than expected. Though loss, abuse, and self hatred, they both try and figure out their purposes.

The author's comments:

This chapter is only part one of chapter one. Each chapter shows Peter's point of view, and Andy's point of view. There are two points of views in total.

Peter


It was a hot day in the summer of 1963. The sun was blazing down, light flooding the city of Mount Carroll, Illinois.
I lived in a small town, the population being just a little bit above 2,000 people. The city was calm, and it seemed like nothing bad could happen. Cars drove down the streets, and people walked hand in hand to the small stores nearby. It was quiet, with no disturbances present.
I sat in my room, a pen in hand. I liked to spend my days writing about whatever came to my mind, painting a story on the page. Sunlight streamed in through the open window, letting in some fresh air. My imagination was abundant, growing by the second. I wrote about the sunsets, and people around me, making up stories as I went. I also had a passion for reading, and exploring the world around me.
I dreamed of seeing things, like the ocean, or big cities that thrived. I could only imagine what was out in the world, the millions of things I’ve never seen or experienced. I had a passion for the unknown.
I heard the door open, and I whipped my head around to see who was in the doorway. There stood my father, standing tall and looking furious.
“Were you writing again?” he growled, his voice low.
“Yes, sir,” I managed to squeak out, fear in my voice.
My father walked over to me, taking my notebook out of my hands, as he proceeded to rip the page I was writing on out of the book.
“Writing is a waste of your time unless it’s for school,” he said, sighing. He threw the piece of paper away in the bin under my desk.
I nodded, stifling back a whimper.
“Dreams don’t exist, only reality. One day you’ll realize that when you make something of yourself,” he said, trying to force a smile.
I then nodded again, petrified.
My dream was to be a writer. I wanted to share my stories to the world for their enjoyment, to inspire people.
My parents had other plans for me.
My father, a successful lawyer, didn’t believe in dreams. He worked hard, earning the money that my family ran on. He wouldn’t dare tarnish the family name, not after the sudden death of my older sister, Paige. I missed her more and more as the days passed. It had already been a year.
Defyingly, I took the torn page out of the garbage, trying to smooth out the wrinkles. Once satisfied, I put the page back in the notebook. I was determined to continue the story I had began writing, and even my father wasn’t going to stop me.
“Peter, come down for dinner!” I heard my mother scream from downstairs. I sighed, dreading what was going to come.
I slowly walked down the stairs, trying to waste as much time as possible. When I reached the table, I sat in my usual seat, across the window, so I could gaze out of it. I felt like that was the only good part about meal time.
My father and my mother sat across from me, quietly discussing something. I tuned them out as I picked at my food, staring out of the window.
The sight was beautiful, the sky blue, silver clouds in the horizon. Blades of grass were blowing in the wind, as well as the leaves on the branches of the trees. Everything seemed to shine with life.
I was suddenly taken out of my thoughts.
“Peter goddamn it, I’m talking to you!” said my father, his voice raised. I winced.
“Yes, sir?” I replied, too scared to say anything else.
“We were discussing college, and which one would be suitable for you when you go into the medical field,” he said, a calmness now in his voice.
“I told you that I didn’t want to go into the medical field,” I whispered back. The minute those words left my lips, I knew I had made a mistake.
“Oh sweetie, don’t say that,” my mother replied, a sympathetic smile on her face. She knew what was about to come.
“You’re going to have a proper education, a proper job, and a proper career. Enough with your fantasy land bullshit!” he shouted.
I looked into his brown eyes which were so much different than mine, and saw a fire growing. His face was red due to his anger, and a few veins were popping out of his skin. I was terrified of the consequences, but I knew I deserved them for opening my mouth.
“But I don’t want those things in life!” I yelled back, the words slipping out of my mouth. My mother gasped, her green eyes going wide.
I had her eyes.
Before I knew it, my dad had gotten up, and grabbed me by the collar of my shirt. He dragged me all the way upstairs to my room. His knuckles were white, and he was breathing heavily. I felt paralyzed with fear.
He let go of me, and then grabbed my notebook. Doodles were drawn across the cover. He glanced at the open window, a smirk on his face.
“Say goodbye,” he said, laughing a sick laugh. I wanted to vomit.
He threw my notebook out of the window. Before I knew it, I ran to the window, trying to see where it had landed. I couldn’t seem to find it anywhere. All I saw was a boy with blond, glistening hair walking by.
“What the hell did you do?” I shrieked. I could feel my cheeks turning hot.
“The right thing,” he replied, smirking.
“The right thing? You think throwing out the one thing I loved since Paige died is the right thing?” I yelled.
Immediately, his face went white. I glanced at the doorway, looking at my mother. She too was white, not an ounce of color in her face.
“We don’t speak of her,” he whispered, harshly.
“And why’s that?” I replied, feeling bold and brave.
“Because she was a disappointment, and so far you are too,” he said, raising his voice.
I was silent, unsure of what to say. I wanted to believe what he said wasn’t the truth, but deep down, I knew he was probably right. I stifled a scream, and nodded.
My father sighed, putting his face in his hands.
“I expected more from you than this. A doctor, a lawyer, a teacher, something that wasn’t based on fantasy, and wasting your goddamn time,” he said sternly, before he walked out of my room, slamming the door.
I looked out the window, realizing I had missed the sunset. I silently let tears fall down my face, as I prepared to go to sleep.
I quickly looked in the mirror, seeing my reddish brown hair disheveled, and my green eyes watering. I went to bed that night with three things on my mind.
My sister, the disappointment I was causing my family, and a way out.

The author's comments:

This chapter shows part two of chapter one. Each chapter shows Peter's point of view, and Andy's point of view. There are two points of views in total.

Andy


I was walking out of some random store, careful to go unnoticed. I felt adrenaline pumping through my veins, as the realization hit me.
I had stolen something yet again.
I walked quicker now, walking through people who walked by. The sun was beating down on my skin, making it feel warm. In the pocket of my denim jacket was two packs of cigarettes which I had stolen. I was satisfied with myself.
Eventually, I stopped, taking a cigarette out, and lighting it up. I felt all my troubles melt away with every puff, and I began to relax for the first time today. Everything always had to be difficult.
I loitered around different parts of town for a few hours, unable to find anything worth my time. When I noticed that the sun had practically set, I turned on a random street, walking down the sidewalk. I examined the houses, noticing how nice they were compared to mine.
The houses were made out of brick, looking sturdy. There were nicely trimmed shrubs in front of them, and green, luscious lawns. Here and there I would catch a glimpse of the occasional flower.
My house was a dump compared to these houses, and I almost felt ashamed and jealous with that thought. I bet it would be nice to live in one of these places instead of the s***hole I call my home.
I was taken out of my thoughts when I saw a notebook being thrown out of a random window. It landed right by my feet with a thud. I quickly picked it up, putting it under my jacket, and continued to walk.
I looked at the window it appeared to come out of, and saw a boy with brown hair looking out of it. I assumed he saw me, so I moved even quicker, wanting to get home as soon as possible.
When I was finally home, I tried my best to go unnoticed. I quietly tried to close the door, careful not to disturb my old man. My attempt at going unseen was a failure, because when I turned around, I was met with his cold, pale blue eyes.
“Where were you this late at night?” he growled.
“I went on a walk,” I replied back, trying to make myself sound tough.
My father stood at 6’4, a Vietnam War veteran. He had to come home after a sever blow to the head, and the death of my mother. Without him, I’d be orphaned.
I looked him over, studying his physical appearance. He too had blond hair, and blue eyes. The only difference between our eyes, however, were that his were ice cold, not a hint of emotion showing.
I gulped. I knew what was going to happen to me.
“How many goddamn times do I have to tell you not to wander the streets at night? Are you trying to be a bum? You ungrateful s***,” he spat.
“I’m sorry, dad, it won’t happen again,” I whispered.
“I’m not your dad,” he said coldly.
I nodded, trying to tell him I understood. But that wasn’t enough, because before I knew it, I was slumped against the wall, blood dripping down my face, blood coming from my nose.
The feeling of being beat was all too familiar to me, and would continue being familiar to me unless I did something.

Peter
I had woke up that morning feeling more bland than ever. The sunrise was disappointing, grey clouds were spread across the whole entire sky. I felt miserable, missing my sister and my notebook filled with all the stories I had written. I felt like it wasn’t fair that I had to succumb to the life my parents, especially my father, gave me.
Hell, I wasn’t even in highschool yet, and he was planning out my whole entire future for me. I just can’t comprehend how that’s okay for anyone to do. I just finished my eighth grade year a couple of days ago, and was expecting my report card to come any day now.
I walked over to my closet, and picked out a nice pair of blue jeans, and a clean button down shirt. I also decided to wear my white converse.
In a hurry, I fixed my brown hair, running my hands through it. I looked at my face in the mirror, seeing some undereye circles. My green eyes looked unimaginably dull, and I couldn’t see the sparkle in them that I saw yesterday before everything went to shit.
I went to my window, opening it. I looked down at the driveway, and saw that the car was gone. I sighed in relief.
We had a nice car, a red 1955 Chrysler 300. I liked it, and I hoped one day I’d get it when I was old enough to drive. I knew deep down that this was a stretch though, because it seemed like everything I wished for never happened.
I smiled, turning away from the window. Since my father went to work, it appeared that only my mother and I were home. For the most part, she avoided me, which is sad to say. But, I knew that being avoided was better than what my father usually gave me, so I appreciated what I got from her.
I looked at the clock, realizing that I was hungry. I slowly walked down the stairs, as I sat at my spot at the table, waiting to be served.
I heard the sizzling of food being made in the kitchen, and it made my stomach clench in hunger. I felt as if I hadn't eaten in days, even though I knew that thought was untrue.
I began to space out, as I thought about another universe. I pictured myself. I was happy, a wide grin on my face. My skin appeared to be glowing, My eyes had a spark in them that I didn’t recognize. My sister was next to me, too. Her brown hair was cascading down her back, and her dimples were prominent. Even my parents were happy, my mother and father looking pleased with their children.
I was brought back to my reality when I realized my mother was snapping in my face, trying to get attention. I looked at her, realizing how old she had gotten since Paige’s death. She had more fine lines on her skin, and it always looked dull. She had no spark in her eyes, and I could hardly remember the last time I saw her smile. She wasn’t the same, and I don’t think she ever will be.
“Yeah, mom?” I asked, showing her that I acknowledged what she was doing.
She took a seat across from me, and I could tell she was struggling to find the words she wanted to use.
“Why did you get so mad at your father last night?” she whispered. Her voice was soft, yet stern at the same time. I wasn’t sure how to feel about it.
“Because I have a dream, and no one is listening to me!” I replied, rather harshly. I just couldn’t understand why they couldn’t see that I wanted to write, and accept it.
“Your father is right about dreams, you know. They don’t come true, and they waste your time,” she mumbled. She tried to hold my hand across the table, but I pulled back swifty.
“Yeah? He’s right, is he? Well, mother, you guys wouldn’t know, because all you guys do is sit on your fucking asses all day, trying to control my goddamn life!” I yelled, standing up.
My mother looked hurt, sadness was filling her eyes. She clearly wasn’t expecting this kind of reaction from me, and didn’t know how to handle it.
“Your food is ready,” she said, quickly changing the subject. I sat back down.
She handed me a plate filled with bacon and eggs, along with a glass of milk. I silently thanked her, and proceeded to eat my meal in peace. She just quietly watched me from her seat, her mind clearly racing. I almost felt bad for what I had said. Almost.
When I was done eating, I had decided that I wanted to clear my head. I contemplated where to go, before I decided on going downtown.
“Mom, I’m going out!” I said, notifying her of my disappearance.
“Alright. Please, be safe,” she replied.
With that, I stepped out of the door. I felt warm, sticky air attack my skin. I began to leave the property, heading down the road that I saw the boy from last night walking on.
I wondered who he was, and what he was doing. What was his name? Did he have dreams? What was he doing on my street? I knew I’d never know the answers to these questions, but I figured that thinking about anything besides my family or I would do me some good.
I felt like I saw the kid someplace before, his blond hair looking familiar. I tried to recall what he was wearing, too. I believed it was a pair of jeans, and a denim jacket. I can’t be sure now, but the thought of the strange boy walking in my neighborhood intrigued me.
Before I knew it, I had reached downtown. Around me were stores, restaurants, and people walking in the streets. There were children who played with a ball, and there were adults rushing off into different directions. All around me were different types of people, all with some kind of story.
I bet on my life that none of them had a story quite as impressive and depressing as mine though. The people around me seemed to be genuinely happy, a group of girls to my right giggling, and a group of boys to my left discussing something. I had friends, sure, but none of them would understand what it was like, living in my reality. No one would.
I walked into a convenience store, fishing out some change from my pocket. I got a Coca Cola, and silently paid for it. The man at the register smiled at me, before it dropped.
“Hey kid, is something wrong?” he questioned.
“No, everything's fine,” I mumbled back, trying to avoid his gaze.
“I think I know you,” he replied. I looked him up and down. He was a rather plump man, with black hair, and black eyes that matched.
“How?” I questioned. I felt sort of creeped out, but extremely intrigued at the same time.
“You must be Peter, your sister used to come down here all the time,” he said. I could tell he was reminiscing about the past.
“Yeah, I am,” I said, cheerfully. I don’t know why, but I was thrilled that someone seemed to have remembered my sister.
“Gee, she was great. She always had these dreams. I think she was something else,” he replied. He had a smile on his face.
“Yeah, she was,” I answered back, smiling. With that, I left the store, a Coca Cola in hand.
For the rest of the day, I did random things. I looked at flowers, and birds. I watched water drip from gutters, and I took in the small details of people. Every person I saw had a difference. It was so weird, yet so fascinating. I loved every second of it.
Eventually, I had to go home. The sun had come out just in time for the sunset. The sky was a divine orange, and it looked unique. I wish I could have stayed out longer, but unfortunately, I didn’t have that luxury.
When I walked into my neighborhood, I saw that the car was back. I mentally cursed myself, because I was hoping I would get home before my father. Much to my disappointment, that didn’t happen.
I slowly unlocked the door, and carefully walked in. The minute I closed the door behind me, I realized that there was something terribly wrong. An eerie silence filled my ears. I glanced around, no one was to be seen.
I walked into the kitchen, and saw my petrified mother sitting on the stool. I looked at her, severely concerned. However, before I could say anything, she began to speak.
“He’s waiting for you in your room,” she shakily whispered. I gulped at this.
I tried to walk as slow as I possibly could up the stairs, terrified of what was going to happen. Why was he upstairs? Why was my mother so unstable?
I turned the doorknob of my room, taking a deep breathe. When I looked in, my dad was sitting at my desk, his back facing me.
“Dad?” I asked, unsure of what else to say.
“Come here,” he demanded. I immediately obeyed, not wanting to make my current situation worse than it already was.
He stood up, and then faced me. I could tell he was holding something. I peered at it. It seemed to be a yellow envelope.
He pulled out a sheet of paper from the envelope, and held it in front of my face. I scanned it quickly, unsure of what I was looking at.
“These were your end of the year grades, son,” he said harshly.
I suddenly put the pieces together.
“I’m actually appalled with you. An A- in math. How disgusting,” he spat.
Are you actually f*ing kidding me, I thought to myself.
“You failed my standards, Peter. I expected more from you!” he suddenly yelled at me.
I felt tears in my eyes. I absolutely resented being yelled at. It just made me feel terrible about myself, and I absolutely hated the feeling.
“Why are you crying? Are you a pu**y now too?” he questioned me. I felt like I was going to be sick.
I stood there for what seemed like an eternity, getting a lecture on my grade, and how I would be a failure if I didn’t follow his rules. I nodded every time he said something, trying to block out what was happening.
He just got louder and angrier, and I could feel myself clenching my fists. I honestly felt like I was suffocating at the moment, and I was unsure what to do.
Finally, he had gotten tired, and left, slamming the door behind him. I walked over to my bed, sitting on it, and burying my face in my hands, beginning to cry.
That was when I decided something. I was going to run away, and never come back.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.