Start of Creation | Teen Ink

Start of Creation

Standing on a meadow of green fine cut grass, Zeusun inhaled his pristine surrounding. The creator of all living, Zeusun, had finally set the foundation for the new world he decided to call “Earth.” To the north where Zeusun stood was draped with the deepest emerald sea and to the south laid the expansive rural area which still needed more work to be done. With the touch of his hands, various crops grew from the vast land that stretched across the horizon. Tomatoes, potatoes, nuts and fruits made a hue of rainbow that spread across the meadow.

“Should there be a fruitful land, there ought to be animals as well,” spoke Zeusun. With the flick of his hands, the meadow rustled from the approaching footsteps of the animals. Zeusun’s Earth was blooming with new life; however, he could not stay in his new creation for he had other tasks awaiting him from the aboveworld. Zeusun picked up a dandelion and blew it into the air. When the seeds of the dandelion touched the land, they turned into males and females.

“My children, I shall welcome you to my new creation. It is my world, and now it is yours as well. Take care of the greenery and the animals for they need your care. It is vital to grow and foster the crops during the hot summer months. I will come back soon, but till then…”

With his last words, Zeusun was carried by the winds to the aboveworld. Earth was now under the responsibility of humans, but they were not too fond of Zeusun’s words.

“The deers are prancing through the meadows, the birds are soaring through the sky singing their tunes, and there is an abundance of crops. There is peace, and I see that there is nothing I can do to help,” said Lucifer, the first male born to Earth.

Others also chimed in eagerly. Although they feared that Zeusun would punish them, they could not overcome their laziness. For the next following days and weeks, the hot sunny weather kept humans warm, and they had plenty of crops to eat. The men went out to hunt during the day while the women harvest the crops.

However, when Zeusun had a chance to take a look at Earth from the aboveworld, Zeusun showed discontent in the condition of his creation. The crops were not watered, and the animals were not as lively as before.The animals were rather terrified that they would be targeted by the male hunters. His anger radiated from the aboveworld to Earth, and the rage turned the leaves of trees in shades of reds. The tall green grass turned yellow and brown. Humans started to feel anxious about the change in their world, but Lucifer kept ignorant of the changes.

“Everything will return to its previous state. Let us keep calm,” stated Lucifer. The other humans did not know what to do, so they held onto the hopeful, sweet words that Lucifer whispered into their ears. Oblivious to the situation, Zeusun was furious that the humans were ignoring his warning. With the snap of his fingers, he covered the radiant sun with gray clouds. The animals were ordered to go back to their dens for a long sleep through the cold, gloomy winter the humans were to face.  

The harsh winter came in an instant, and the humans were struggling to keep warm. They were struggling to survive as they felt terrified that soon they will die. The humans wanted to blame Lucifer, but they knew it was of no use.

Knowing that they could not keep up for longer, Lucifer cried out to the sky, “Zeusun, I beg for your forgiveness. I have sinned greatly not listening to your command. Please, save us!”

The others joined Lucifer and implored to the sky. Soon, the dark sky slowly opened for a stray of light to pass through. Through the entrance came Zeusun.

“You have disregarded my words not once but twice. Yet, I am willing to give you another chance and this is your last to prove your worth. Do not disappoint me again.”

Humans thanked and bowed down to Zeusun, and their gray world began to bloom with colors once again. The animals came out of their dens, and the bulbs of flowers were shooting up from the meadow. This time, the humans had to plant the seeds of the crops themselves. They knew that it was their job to be done.