The Point of No Return: The Story of a 21st Century Phantom (a play of one act) | Teen Ink

The Point of No Return: The Story of a 21st Century Phantom (a play of one act)

By julianatomecki SILVER, Lemont, Illinois
julianatomecki SILVER, Lemont, Illinois

"The whole class was quaking in their boots" -Anne Frank

CHARACTER LIST:

Justine “Swallow” Tate/Angel of Music: A light skinned 18 Year old, long curly golden brown locks, deep brown eyes, not too petie but not to wide. An timid performer in the shadows of another girl. She captures the hearts of many, even some hearts she doesn’t desire…

Richard “Wolf” Vicota: 18 years old, Tall and toned, shoulder length caramel hair, big blue eyes. He is extremely charming and attractive. Is your stereotypical wealthy jock, and is captain of Ophera’s football team.

Alexandria “Xan” Gurry: Petite and porcelain skinned, 18 years old, long straight honey blonde hair with bangs. Justine’s better half. Constantly excited and has an angelic appearance. Known as one of Ophera’s best dancers.

Madame Gurry: An older woman in her early 50’s, Xan’s mother and the Choreographer for all of the school’s musicals.

Charlotte Lotta: 18 years old, Ophera’s star performer and gets the lead in every musical, she is self-absorbed and over dramatic.

Masked Man/Silhouette/”Angel”: Mysterious and always seems to show up when things go bad. Is he just a mad stalker or a man with an unreachable love?

André: A flustered old man who just can never seem to get things right. He doesn’t tend to have his own opinions and follows whatever Firmin does. He is the music director of the school’s production.

Firmin: He is the school’s biggest drama fan… that’s why he is the director. He likes things his way and is always concerned on how others view his productions. He is easily annoyed and is the most bothered by his “lesser” André, even though they are of the same age.

SYNOPSIS:

An orphan at age 7, Justine Tate is your average high school student. She is a Senior at Ophera high and finally gets her big break. But excitement soon falls as she admits how she really got the role.

[The stage lights up on a group of dancers including XAN, stretching on Stage Left, MADAME GURRY is leading them in stretches. ANDRÉ is seen with CHARLOTTE on Stage Right, doing vocal warm ups. FIRMIN stands Down Stage, pacing back and forth. After a few moments, the door to The House (not a house but the seats in the theater) opens and JUSTINE enters frantically walking and trying to shove things into her bag.]

JUSTINE:(out of breath) Sorry I’m late!

[JUSTINE places her bag on the ground]

FIRMIN:(shouting)It’s about time Justine! Where’s my latte?

[JUSTINE hands FIRMIN a disposable coffee cup and FIRMIN takes a sip.]

FIRMIN:I thought I asked for a caramel chocolate latte, not just caramel![FIRMIN hands the cup back to JUSTINE.] Get this out of my face. I thought Gurry said you were supposed to be a good assistant.[At this point the others surrounding them have silenced due to the distraction.]Well, since I  have your attention clear the stage, we are starting from the first scene of the musical.

[Charlotte steps forward and the others take a seat on the side of the stage. A shadowed silhouette of a man forms behind the screen, this is the SILHOUETTE. SILHOUETTE bends over and it is assumed he’s tampered with something. After this, the figure disappears.]

DANCER #1:(to #2) Well this should be interesting.

[CHARLOTTE’s lips are moving but no sound is produced. FIRMIN stands up and heads towards CHARLOTTE and begins to look at her mic]

FIRMIN:The mics aren’t working again! This is the 5 time this month! Andre did you ever ask those, um, what do you call them?

XAN:(quickly) Techies.

FIRMIN:Techies, yes, techies. Did you ever ask them?

ANDRÉ:I’ve asked them a million times, there is nothing wrong. You know it is old technology, things like this do happen-

[The figure appears again and stands there watching.]

CHARLOTTE:(interrupting) Things like this do not just happen. I’ve been the lead in every production since I’ve been here and there is never a time something doesn't go wrong! [CHARLOTTE gives a “Uh!” and puts her hand on her chest in realization.] I know why, someone has it out for me!

FIRMIN: That’s absurd! No one has it out for you!

[As this is said, the SILHOUETTE cuts what’s assumed to be a rope, and a sand bag drops right in front of CHARLOTTE.]

CHARLOTTE: That’s it! I’m done! I’m done with your stupid productions! I have put up with this crap for 4 years and I’m not putting up with it for a second more! I quit! [CHARLOTTE begins to walk away onto Stage Right, and just as she’s about to leave she turns to the group.] And higher a priest already! To exercise whatever thing that has been haunting me and this stage! Good-bye!

FIRMIN: Charlotte please! Come back!

ANDRÉ: Don’t bother Firmin! It was her time! She was only a Prima Donna!(comforting)She’ll probably be back.

FIRMIN: No she won’t be back! God André! I knew we should have casted an understudy! Who will play our “Angel of Music”.

MADAME GURRY: Sir, Justine can do it.

[The entire time this is happening, JUSTINE, has been in the corner reading the script. But, when JUSTINE hears her name, she looks up to find all of them looking at her.]

JUSTINE: What?

[MADAME GURRY walks over to JUSTINE]

MADAME GURRY: Yes, Justine can do it.

ANDRÉ: Justine? Our assistant?

[XAN grabs JUSTINE’s arm and forces her to stand.]

XAN: She’s much more than an assistant! She used to be a dancer, remember?

ANDRÉ:(interrupting)She was?

XAN:(continuing) She also knows all of Charlotte’s parts considering she had to do read throughs with all of us, and she even sang some of her parts during rehearsal!

ANDRÉ: She did?

MADAME GURRY: Trust me boys, I would not just recommend anyone, Justine is pure talent. SHe’s just never had the chance to sing for you.

ANDRÉ: Well, if you claim that she is so talented, then have her sing for us!

JUSTINE: Now? (pause) Sing for you (another pause) now?

ANDRÉ: Well...Yes! A good soprano can sing when asked! [MADAME GURRY signals her to move up and JUSTINE doesn’t move until XAN nudges her.] Please sing the finale for me, the high not is my favorite!

[JUSTINE sings. Over time, as she sings, everyone around her disappears as the spotlight is only on her. When she ends the spotlight fades into the normal stage lighting, JUSTINE stands alone on stage. Clapping is heard from the doorway of The House.]

WOLF:(clapping)Bravo!

JUSTINE: Wolf?[JUSTINE and WOLF both start walking toward each other until they meet on Stage Right.]What are you doing here?

WOLF: I just had football practice, and the door was open. I heard an amazing voice, and I came in here, and well...then I saw you. What are you doing here?

[As they speak the SILHOUETTE stands Stage Left, watching.]

JUSTINE: Well the theater is always open and well I wanted to rehearse. So, I came in.

WOLF: You know you still sound the same. Like when we used to have those picnics in my attic and you would sing for me.

JUSTINE: You always said you were my #1 fan! And what your mother would say when you tried to sing! “Richard! You sound like a wolf compared to that swallow!” Kinda annoying that the football guys stole my nickname for you, but I guess it really is fitting.

WOLF: That’s true. Well I was thinking, maybe we should go on one of those picnics again. [WOLF grabs JUSTINE’s hand.] What do you say Swallow? Promise I won’t sing.[The SILHOUETTE moves off-stage.]

JUSTINE: I can’t. [She pulls her hand out of his.]

WOLF: Why not? We don’t have to pretend anymore. No one’s around.

JUSTINE: The theater ghost is very strict.[After saying this the lights go out in the theater.]Why did the lights turn off?

WOLF: Good question I- [A thump is heard. It is assumed that WOLF fell due to the darkness.] Ouch!

JUSTINE: Wolf! Are you okay? [The lights come back on. WOLF is laying on the ground next to a card. JUSTINE helps WOLF up.]

WOLF: What is that? [JUSTINE picks up the card. WOLF is next to her and looks over her shoulder to read it with her.]

JUSTINE: My Angel of Music, don’t abandon thought and let your dream descend. For this slave of fashion will only bask in your glory. Love, your Angel of Music.

WOLF: God, Justine! Is this why you won’t tell anyone about our relationship? [JUSTINE stands silent.] God Justine, it is? How long has this been going on?

JUSTINE: Since freshman year.

WOLF: (shouting) For four years! And you didn’t bother to tell me. Your best friend! And not to mention, your boyfriend!

JUSTINE: Shh!(whispering)Don’t say the “B word” too loud!

WOLF: (shouting) Boyfriend! Boyfriend! Boyfriend! Is that what you don’t want me to say? Justine, no one can hurt you! I’ll always protect you! You know that? I was here for you when your parents died, and I’ll be here for you now. You know that the Gurry’s wouldn’t let anything happen to you either, you’re a part of their family. [WOLF pulls JUSTINE into an embrace and starts to rub her back.] You know your safe with me.

[The SILHOUETTE stands on the opposite side of the stage. Blackout.]

[Stage lights on JUSTINE in her bedroom during the night. There are two beds, one on each side of the stage (XAN’s Right and JUSTINE’s Left), with a singular hanging window in the middle of them. It is leveled to the SILHOUETTE’s height. There is a storm occurring throughout the scene, which is why it will be filled with flashes of light and booms, and also rain sound effect. The flashes will be seen out of the window. The moonlight will be on JUSTINE’s bed. There will be the shadows of rain on JUSTINE and the surrounding area near her bed due to the drops on the window. JUSTINE is taking of her jacket and her phone begins to ring.]

JUSTINE: [JUSTINE picks it up.] Unknown? [JUSTINE puts the phone up to her ear, answering it.] Hello?

[Behind the window, the SILHOUETTE appears. This is to show who JUSTINE is having her conversation  with. This is why JUSTINE will never notice the SILHOUETTE.]

SILHOUETTE: My Angel. [JUSTINE slowly sits on her bed, preparing herself.] Why? Why have you chosen this fool? (disappointed) Oh Justine…

JUSTINE: (begging) Angel, please forgive me. I had a moment of weakness, please understand.

SILHOUETTE: My sweet child, how could I abandon you? I’m your Angel. How could I let them harm you. Next time listen to me, Justine, or else I can’t protect you.

JUSTINE: I rehearsed the song three times like you asked.

SILHOUETTE: Yes, I was listening. You sounded beautiful, like an angel. (a beat) You should hang up, Xan is coming. [JUSTINE looks side to side, trying to see if he is around.] Don’t be afraid Justine, I could never hurt you. Justine… I love you. [JUSTINE doesn’t respond.] Justine, don’t you love me. [A few tears stream down her face.]

JUSTINE: Yes. Of course, my Angel.

[JUSTINE lowers the phone from her ear and then end the call. Soon after, XAN walks in and takes off her own coat.]

XAN: Hey Justine!Trying to get attention)Justine...Justine? What’s wrong?

[XAN sits next to JUSTINE. JUSTINE wipes her tears.]

XAN: Justine were best friend, and practically sisters, you know you can tell me anything. [JUSTINE keeps trying to wipe her tears away.]Oh God! Did Wolf do something to you?

JUSTINE: No, God no, he would never hurt me. Xan, there’s something I have to tell you...I’m being stalked. He’s was talking to me just now.

[XAN grabs JUSTINE’s hand]

XAN: Your hands are cold.

JUSTINE: It’s like he’s all around me.

XAN: Your face Justine, it’s white!

JUSTINE:(crying) He frightens me.

XAN: Don’t be frightened.

JUSTINE:(pause) And I think if he can’t have me,(pause)he’s gonna kill Wolf.

[Loud thunder boom happens as one large flash occurs. After the light flash, there is a Blackout.]

[Stage lights up on JUSTINE, WOLF, XAN, MADAME GURRY, ANDRÉ, and FIRMIN. JUSTINE and WOLF stand side by side in the middle of the stage, XAN and MADAME GURRY stand a foot away (closer to Stage Right), Firmin sits at the small table Stage Left with his head in his hands, and ANDRÉ paces back and forth next to the table.]

ANDRÉ: So what your trying to tell me is that this theater ghost is no ghost?

JUSTINE: Yes.

ANDRÉ: (yelping) Oh sweet Jesus! [ANDRÉ looks up to the sky.] Why! Things were finally going alright for me! Why!

FIRMIN: Madame Gurry, how could you let this happen?

MADAME GURRY: What do you mean? Just because Justine lives with me, doesn’t mean I always know what’s going on!

XAN: Let’s all stop arguing and figure out a way to solve this problem. Clearly Justine can’t keep doing this play.

WOLF: No that’s the total opposite of what we should do. Let Justine do the play, her stalker will clearly show up. We’ll have police there undercover, and we’ll bust the guy.

XAN: That’s a perfect idea! We’ll be sure to get him then. What do you think Justine?

JUSTINE: I don’t know-

WOLF:(interrupting) I’ll be there Justine. I won’t let anything happen to you.

[JUSTINE grabs WOLF’s hand]

JUSTINE: I’ll do it.

[Blackout.]

[The lights fades in on JUSTINE entering her dressing room from Stage Right. She walks over to her vaity and picks up a red rose with a black ribbon around it. She also picks up a card like the one from Scene One. The SILHOUETTE stands Stage Right.]

JUSTINE: Dear my sweet Justine, perform for your Angel and you shall be rewarded. I will always be with you, we will be together forever. There will never be a day when I won’t think of you. [Tears stream down her face.] Justine, I love you. Love your guardian angel.

[WOLF enters from Stage Right.]

WOLF: You’re on in five. [WOLF notices JUSTINE crying.] Justine, what’s wrong? [WOLF hugs JUSTINE.]

JUSTINE: Please don’t make me do this. He won’t let me go. He’ll take me Wolf! He will! I’m risking my life to win the chance to live!

WOLF: I won’t let that happen. Justine, I love you too much to let anything happen to you.

JUSTINE: You’re saying you’ll love me, every waking moment?

WOLF: Yes. I want you to love me, too. [Pausing and grabbing JUSTINE’s hand.] Love me Swallow, that’s all I ask of you.

JUSTINE: Then share each day with me. Each night, each morning.

WOLF: Say you love me.

JUSTINE: You know I do.

[JUSTINE and WOLF kiss. Blackout.]

[Stage lights up on JUSTINE, strides across the stage with a basket of white roses. JUSTINE slowly sits on the stage when he reaches Stage Left. JUSTINE plays with one of the rosses and starts singing. After JUSTINE sings a few lines, a male voice joins in. A MASKED MAN wearing a matching costume to JUSTINE appears on Stage Right.]

MASKED MAN: My Angel of Music, help me make the music of the night.

[JUSTINE stands, leaving the basket on the ground. They continue to sing, JUSTINE keeps her back to him until he reaches her on Stage Left.  Throughout the song JUSTINE and the MASKED MAN perform along the stage as the dancers dance behind them. The song ends with JUSTINE having her hand on the MASKED MAN’s face and the MASKED MAN having his arms around her.]

JUSTINE: I’ve dreamt of you. And do I dream again, for now I find-

MASKED MAN: (interrupting) That I am no longer just inside your mind?

JUSTINE: Why do you conceal yourself, like it’s a Masquerade?

MASKED MAN: Because Justine, we’ve passed the point of no return. [He strokes her hair.] Say you want me, with you here beside me. Anywhere you go, let me go to. Love me, Justine. That’s all I ask of you.

JUSTINE: I will be wishing that “you were somehow here again”, but dreaming of you won't help me to do, all that you’ve dreamed I could.

MASKED MAN: Knowing that me must say goodbye, give me the strength to try. Help me say goodbye.

JUSTINE: Then think of me. Imagine me trying too hard to put you off my mind. [She looks into the audience and back at the MASKED MAN.] It’s time.

[The MASKED MAN takes off his mask and drops it to the floor. Cops swarm the stage. A cop puts handcuffs on the MASKED MAN. WOLF appears on the Stage Left next to FIRMIN and ANDRÉ. XAN and MADAME GURRY stand Stage Right with their arms around each other.]

COP #1: Erik Gastonas, you're under arrest for stalking Justine Tate and the attempted murder of Charlotte Lotta.

WOLF: Wait, Erik Gastonas? The guy who used to be the lead in every play. Didn’t he just graduate last year?

MASKED MAN: Justine, I heard you sing before you came to Ophera High.  I knew that you should be the lead in every production, so I made it my life’s work to make that dream come true. And then, well...I fell in love.

COP #2: That’s enough. We got him. Let’s go boys.

MASKED MAN: Justine I love you.

[MASKED MAN gets taken off stage, and all the COPS follow. WOLF hugs JUSTINE. Blackout.]

[Stage lights up on JUSTINE sitting on her bed. WOLF enters Stage Right.]

WOLF: Justine, are you ready?

JUSTINE: Yes, I’m ready.[JUSTINE stands up and joins WOLF on Stage Right.]Oh wait! I forgot something.

WOLF: Meet me in the car.

[WOLF leaves Stage Right. JUSTINE goes over by her bed and opens up her backpack on the bed. She shuffles her hand in the bag and stops when she grabs something.]

JUSTINE: What the-?

[JUSTINE pulls out a rose with a black bow on it. A SILHOUETTE stands Stage Right. Blackout.]

END OF ACT ONE