Dissociative Identity Disorder | Teen Ink

Dissociative Identity Disorder

By paytoncarey, Carbondale, Pennsylvania
paytoncarey, Carbondale, Pennsylvania

Dissociative identity disorder, also known as multiple personality disorder, can be defined as a condition in which various personalities take control of a person’s behaviors and actions. This mental disorder was first identified in the late 1880s by Dr. Jean-Martin Charcot at a hospital in Paris (Lieber). It was first doubted to be an actual disease when newly discovered due to the confusing qualities of the disorder. In order for people to understand dissociative identity disorder, it was necessary to understand the symptoms, causes, risk factors, and treatments available.

When trying to understand dissociative identity disorder, it is important to know that there are multiple different types of dissociative disorders. These disorders are like dissociative identity disorder, but with different symptoms, causes, and experiences. Two types of this disorder include dissociative amnesia and depersonalization-derealization disorder (Dissociative Disorders). The source explains that dissociative amnesia results in memory loss for certain time periods, some short while others longer. Also, depersonalization-derealization is explained as a disorder where one can feel detached from their body and self. Although the disorders may share common factors, knowing the difference between them is crucial when diagnosing patients.

When dissociative identity disorder was first identified, the symptoms were related to many other diseases that were already discovered. These symptoms included losing consciousness, deformations, and spasms (Lieber). Because there were no new symptoms found in the discovery, multiple people believed that Charcot had not discovered anything new about mental disorders. Joseph Babinsky, one of Charcot’s students, proved that many of the patients were misdiagnosed and actually convinced that they had this disorder due to being around people who actually had the disorder (Lieber). Therefore, Charcot’s research and experiments were unreliable to prove that multiple personality disorder was a true disorder that affected people. 

Both Charcot and Babinsky decided to work together by studying the patients to find who was still demonstrating symptoms after a certain time period (Lieber). The results proved which patients were actually affected by dissociative identity disorder. The research and experiments extended beyond just Charcot and Babinsky and many more symptoms were discovered.

After years of research, more symptoms and conditions became clear. A significant symptom includes a victim losing parts of their memory (“Dissociative Identity Disorder Multiple Personality Disorder” Cleveland Clinic). This memory loss may be a result of altering through different personalities. If the victim is possessed by a personality it is hard for them to recall what happens during that time because they are unaware of what has happened to them. Another symptom to be aware of in victims is if they are experiencing different personalities. If a victim seems to have suddenly changed emotions, names, genders, etc., they may have just altered from one personality to the next  (“Dissociative Identity Disorder Multiple Personality Disorder” Cleveland Clinic). Not only will they change through physical traits, a diagnosed individual may also change interests and beliefs. This may cause a victim to feel as though they are not living in their own body and are observing from the outside instead of being in control (“What Are Dissociative Disorders?”). 

In addition, most victims of dissociative identity disorder suffer from mental health problems such as anxiety and depression (“Dissociative Disorders”). Due to multiple mental health problems thoughts of suicide are common in people diagnosed with multiple personality disorder. Victims may also lack self-identity, meaning they are not completely aware or comfortable with who they are (“Dissociative Identity Disorder Multiple Personality Disorder” Psychology Today). As a result of altering through different personalities it may be hard for one to be comfortable with one of them. 

Because a victim is going through multiple personality changes, they may not understand which personality they are actually in control of and are not aware of who they truly are. Due to the discovery of symptoms in the disorder, the disorder identified by Charcot was proven to be real. Having knowledge of the symptoms pertaining to dissociative identity disorder may make it easy for one to be diagnosed with the disorder or understand what they are going through. 

There are multiple different explanations for why victims suffer from multiple personality disorder. The explanations clarify what caused the victim to be diagnosed with the disorder and why it is occuring within them and not someone else. The disorder could be a way of dealing with trauma that may have occurred in the past (“Dissociative Identity Disorder Multiple Personality Disorder” Psychology Today). These traumas may result in the victim trying to avoid what had happened to them. This makes the individual create a new personality for themselves, instead of being in the body of the person who the trauma occurred to. This may be the victim trying to mask the past trauma, or the victim may have altered personalities during certain hard times in their life. 

For example, if the victim was physically or mentally abused as a child, this may have caused or triggered their disorder (“Dissociative Identity Disorder Multiple Personality Disorder” Psychology Today). Although there is no certain age where the disorder may start occurring, the alters are frequently due to past traumatizing experience that will stick with the victim. If the experience has repetitively occurred in the past, there is a better chance for it to stay with the victim, and trigger them to change personalities to try to forget what has happened. The disorder may also be caused by neglect in relationships with family and friends (“Dissociative Identity Disorder Multiple Personality Disorder” WebMD). The disorder can also be caused by an accident, natural disaster, or war (“Dissociative Identity Disorder Multiple Personality Disorder” Cleveland Clinic). There is also the possibility that nothing has caused it and it has just suddenly started occurring.  It is important to understand that the mental disorder may be caused by multiple different factors and every situation for every victim is different.

There are different risk factors that are involved with dissociative personality disorder. The factors put the individuals involved at risk of negative aspects that may occur. It is not yet determined if there are certain people who are at risk of having the disorder (“Dissociative Identity Disorder Multiple Personality Disorder” WebMD). The source further explains that most people with the disorder have experienced a traumatic life experience through a developmental age in life. 

Therefore, if one experiences abuse during childhood, they are more likely to later be diagnosed with multiple personality disorder because of their past traumas. Children may also start having symptoms of the disorder if the dissociate due to neglect from parents and family (“Dissociative Identity Disorder Multiple Personality Disorder” WebMD). People who are diagnosed with this disorder tend to be at a higher risk of suicidal thoughts. Due to a victim not being in complete control through different personalities, it may cause them to harm themselves in ways they would not if they were in their actual state of mind. Affected individuals are at risk of abusing drugs and alcohol (“Dissociative Disorders”). A victim might abuse these substances as a way to cope with their disorder. They may also have trouble forming relationships with family and friends. In addition to all of these risk factors one may have trouble sleeping as well as sexual dysfunction (“Dissociative Disorders”). These risk factors affect most diagnosed with dissociative identity disorder, and are hard for the victim to prevent. 

Although the disorder is hard to prevent, there are some ways that may help one to stop the disorder from occurring or worsening. Most importantly, one should seek help. Once a person is beginning to show signs of the disorder it is important to get the help needed before it gets worse. If an individual is questioning if they may have the disorder they should visit their doctor or start therapy sessions (“Dissociative Identity Disorder Multiple Personality Disorder” WebMD). It is also important to have knowledge about dissociative identity disorder so one can know if they have any symptoms. Taking precautions can help to prevent the possibility of having the disorder.

Although many suffer from this disorder, treatments are widely available to help individuals who have trouble with dissociative identity disorder. The most common treatment is psychotherapy (“Dissociative Identity Disorder Multiple Personality Disorder” Psychology Today). The source states that psychotherapy focuses on learning all the personalities and trying to form them back into just one personality. Another treatment explained by the source is cognitive and creative therapy. This type of therapy uses a creativity aspect to help one cope with their emotions and express how they feel. Other forms of therapy available are hypnotherapy and adjunctive therapy. Hypnotherapy is a form of therapy where one’s thoughts and memories are subdued in order to bring the personalities together as one (“Dissociative Identity Disorder Multiple Personality Disorder” WebMD). Adjunctive therapy is described as a form of art therapy that helps one connect things in their minds. Hypnosis methods may also be used to help a patient distract from their personalities and put one in a different mental state (“What Are Dissociative Disorders?”). The article states that although there are no medicines that are specifically targeted towards dissociative identity disorder, there are multiple medicines that may help the symptoms that are caused through the disorder. 

There are also multiple resources that can be used to help an affected individual that they may be more comfortable with rather than therapy and medicines. These factors mainly circulate around getting help by the people who surround them and know them personally. In order for the individual to feel more comfortable, the person may try communicating with someone they trust (“Dissociative Disorders”). 

If a victim needs someone who can relate to how they are feeling and the actions that occur they can attend support groups. Seeking help from a family doctor or therapist are also options for treatment (“Dissociative Disorders”). There is also always the option of talking to family and friends that can possibly help them get things off their mind and control how they are feeling. It is important for one to find a treatment method they are comfortable with whether it be through professionals or trusted family and friends. 

Obtaining information through someone who is directly affected by dissociative identity disorder may help one better understand the disorder and what effects it has. Jane Hart has shared her personal experience with dissociative identity disorder online. Her story helps readers get an insight into the disorder. 

Jane suffers from dissociative identity disorder due to childhood trauma. She refers to her personalities as her “parts” (Hart). Due to all nine of her personalities she finds it hardest to make decisions everyday. She tries to see the positive side of her disorder by stating that she finds it beneficial that she can see things in multiple aspects. Due to the symptom of memory loss, there are some things she has trouble remembering that have previously occurred. She has found multiple methods that help her deal with dissociative identity disorder. 

Jane uses a timer, sticky notes, and binaural beats as ways to help her keep up with altering through personalities (Hart). The timer keeps track of time that may be missed or forgotten through each personality. She sets alarms hourly to make sure that she keeps up with the things she has planned. Jane uses the sticky notes to calm her down when all the personalities are overwhelming (Hart). She also uses the sticky notes to communicate through each personality. It is her way of getting the voices out of her head and finding a new place for them. The binaural beats are to help with the headaches she endures (Hart).

In order to help Jane understand her disorder, she is constantly looking for new information. She finds comfort in having dissociative identity disorder by practicing self compassion (Hart). She also keeps a journal that she has been tracking her disorder in for years. Although the disorder greatly affects Jane’s daily life, she has chosen to think positively and share her story to others. 

Jane even has a show about her experience with dissociative identity disorder called “Many Sides of Jane”. Throughout the show, Jane explains her nine personalities ranging from ages six to twenty-eight years old. She gives information on what has caused her disorder and how she deals with it daily as a mother of two (Hart). She uses her disorder as a way to reach out to others suffering. She is also a public speaker and a mental health activist. Jane uses her disorder as a way to benefit and inform others about dissociative identity disorder. By sharing her story, awareness of dissociative disorder has been spread throughout the world.

Although dissociative identity disorder is often looked past, many people worldwide are affected by the disorder daily. After the discovery in the late 1880s, the disorder has developed greatly. Dissociative identity disorder is a disorder that is yet to be fully understood and treated. With advances in technology and medicines it is hopeful that the disorder may eventually be able to be treated or prevented. Having knowledge of the disorder is crucial in order to raise awareness and help others suffering.

In conclusion, the discovery of dissociative identity disorder resulted in further research and patients. Although the disorder was once not believed to be true, it has developed considerably and affects an increasingly greater amount of people today. Understanding all known aspects of the disorder can help people who are suffering from the disorder and help to further discover what has yet to be discovered.  Dissociative identity disorder can be understood through knowing the symptoms, causes, risk factors, and treatments.

Works Cited

“Dissociative Disorders.” NAMI, 2020, 

nami.org/Learn-More/Mental-Health-Conditions/Dissociative-Disorders/Treatment.

“Dissociative Identity Disorder (Multiple Personality Disorder).” Cleveland Clinic, 2020, 

my.clevelandclinic.org/health/diseases/9792-dissociative-identity-disorder-multiple-personality-disorder.

“Dissociative Identity Disorder (Multiple Personality Disorder).” Psychology Today, Sussex 

Publishers, 2020, 

psychologytoday.com/us/conditions/dissociative-identity-disorder-multiple-

personality-disorder.

“Dissociative Identity Disorder (Multiple Personality Disorder).” WebMD, 2019, 

webmd.com/mental-health/dissociative-identity-disorder-multiple-personality-disorder#4.

Hart, Jane. “Conquering Each Day With Dissociative Identity Disorder.” NAMI, 2020, 

nami.org/Blogs/NAMI-Blog/January-2019/Conquering-Each-Day-with-Dissociative-Identity-Dis.

Lieber, Arnold. “Multiple Personality Disorder (Dissociative Identity Disorder).” Pyscom, 

Remedy Health Media, 2020, psycom.net/mchugh.html.

“What Are Dissociative Disorders?” American Psychiatric Association, 2019, 

psychiatry.org/patients-families/dissociative-disorders/what-are-dissociative-disorders.