High School Mayhem | Teen Ink

High School Mayhem

By SilverStarfire, Chicago, Illinois
SilverStarfire, Chicago, Illinois

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent"
-Eleanor Roosevelt

“Silver! Time for school!” My mother calls from the kitchen. I quickly stuff my school supplies in my backpack and race out of my room, the black door shutting behind me.

“Coming mom!” On the way past the movie room, I grab my SilverWolf skateboard and slide down the banister of the stairs in one fluid motion. My mom comes around the corner from the kitchen shaking her head.

“You have got to stop doing that Silver.” She scolds as she tries to fix my black and silver hair. I groan and duck away.

“Don’t! You’ll ruin it!” I grab my Black Veil Brides cased phone off the charger on the table by the stairs and head out the door. The day is sunny, the exact opposite of what I like. We just moved to the city of Chicago, and I am already late for the first day of school. Score. 

If you couldn't already tell, I'm a bad girl. I love everything black and morbid. Except, I'm afraid of spiders and love animals. So, I guess I'm a little princessy. Ugh. Just that word makes me want to puke. I drop my board, hop on, and push off down the street. If you're wondering why my mom doesn't take me to school, well, I refuse to get in cars.

Besides being an emo chick, I'm a huge planetarian. I don’t eat meat, I use only all natural products, and I most definitely do not drink out of water bottles. I'm not all “Save the Turtles!” like those freaky VSCO kids, but I just don't like all the pollution in our oceans. 

I'm so lost in thought, I don't realize I'm at school until…

HONK! “Yo, watch where you're going freak!” Some guy in a red corvette yells as he speeds through the parking lot of  Lincoln Park High. Yeah, I get that a lot. I mean, I’m wearing a black leather skirt with black leggings and a black crop with a black leather jacket that has BVB’s symbol on the back. Of course I'd be labeled a freak. 

I make a mental note of what the guy looks like. Black hair, grey eyes, jock jacket. Most likely a football player. Typical bully. I stop my board at the edge of the parking lot and look up at the massive three-story school.

“Bro, this thing is smaller than my house.” I hear some boy joke to his friend. I roll my eyes then flip my board down and continue up the winding entry to Lincoln. As I get closer to the building, the crowd of kids gets thicker. It's not until I reach the curb and do a 360 flip onto the sidewalk that the whispers and looks start. In a city as small as Beverly, I bet you everyone knows everyone. I'm probably the only new kid they've had here in a long time.

Ignoring them like I always do, I open the wooden doors and walk in.

This school is massive. I mean, I can spend hours trying to find a freaking bathroom. Also, I'm starting to think that the whole short skirt, bad girl thing is not a good idea in a school with this many boys. The looks they give me make me want to punch them. But who wants to get in a fight on their first day? Not me. I get just one more suspension and I lose my studio privileges. No way Jose. 

Okay…Principal’s office for my schedule, locker to drop-off my stuff, bathroom to fix my hair, and class. Easy-peasy right?

Apparently not. I swear to God, I have been walking in circles. It feels like forever, but my phone tells me it's only been three minutes.

“Need some help?” A  male voice asks from behind me. Startled, I whip around and accidentally hit the kid in the stomach. He winces and bends over.

“Oh my God, I am so so sorry!” I drop my board and backpack and reach out to him. “At my old school people knew not to sneak up on me because of my reflexes. I am so sorry. Are you okay?” The kid groans, but nods as he lifts his head. He is actually kind of cute. In a nerdy sort of way. He has black glasses and blonde hair, with green eyes accented by brown specks. He straightens up a bit.

“Let's start over, shall we?” he jokes lightly. “My name is Code, I'm the resident coder and computer genius. What's your name?” I blink. Even his voice is cu- I shake my head to clear it.

“I’m Silver. And yes, I do need help. I need to find the Principal's office for my schedule.” I push all my words out so quickly, I’m surprised he understood. He squats down and picks up my backpack.

“Dropped this.” He hands it to me as I pick up my skateboard. I nod my thanks and he leads me down the hall in the opposite direction that I was headed. I look around and notice that everyone is looking at us. My face goes cherry red and I look back in front of me so I don't trip. I may be a master skater, but I am the biggest klutz on this planet. 

After a few minutes, we come across a wooden door marked Principal. Code turns to me and smiles. 

“It's really easy to get lost in here,” He says, his smile making me blush. “If you don't have a guide or a map, you could end up in the west wing when you want to be in the north!” he laughs. I smile and walk into the dark room. Everything is decorated in dark wood. 

“Have a seat, Miss Star.” A deep voice calls from the back of the room. I immediately do as I am instructed. I may be a bad girl, but this principal will not be able to see it. “I am Mr. Dorinp, Principal here at Lincoln. We are very honored that you chose this school over all the others, since you are new here.” Mr. Dor- I decide to call him Mr. D, since if I say his name in my head, I will laugh out loud. He grabs a paper off of the white printer, which is the only light colored thing in this room besides him. 

“Your schedule is to be followed exactly. If you wish to change a class, you may speak with Mrs. Duneberry, my secretary. Otherwise, no skipping or being in a class you are not assigned. I rarely come out of my office, but when I do, if there is anything going on, those involved will be suspended and punished to the best of my abilities.” He looks at me over his glasses.

“Understood?” I nod, then realize I haven't said a word in over ten minutes, which is so not like me. 

“Yes, sir.” I squeak. He sits back down in his chair.

“Good. Now get out.” I scramble out the door so fast that I run into something hard. A wall? There? I look up and gasp. The jock from the parking lot who called me a freak. I regain my composure and give him my “Idgaf” look. He smirks, looking me up and down.

“Well, well, a new girl. A bad one, from the looks of it.” His friends snicker behind him. I look around to see that the once loud and bustling hallway has gone country night quiet. Everyone is looking and the girls are glaring. Code is helplessly standing a few feet away by the door marked ART. Crap, I think to myself.

“What’s your name, newbie?” he asks in a gruff voice. I scan him and his friends. There are two of them, one is a blonde with big muscles and blue eyes,  the other is a boy with similar hair to mine, except his eyes aren't gold, they are...silver?

“Silver. Don’t wear it out, pretty-boy.” I sneer up at him. Goddamn, this boy has to be about 6’4 maybe 6’6. I'm only 5’7 with my hightops, but dang. His friends ooh and I roll my eyes at their antics. “Unless you want trouble, I suggest you move, before I move you.” I warn him. Everyone in the hall laughs, including him.

“What's a little girl like you gonna do, hm? Scratch me?” Everyone oohs at that and I have had enough. I toss my backpack at Code, who catches it. Dropping my skateboard, I swipe my leg through his and take them out from under him. He lands on his ass with a oomph. He looks up at me, shocked. His friends crack up, and everyone’s eyes widen, including Code’s. I grab him by his shirt collar.

“Don’t mess with me, got it? Unless you want to end up with more than a bruise to your ego, asshole.” I drop his shirt and walk over to Code. “Chemistry.”I whisper and take my backpack and skateboard from him. He nods, still dazed and leads the way down the hall. I flip my hair over my shoulder and grin triumphantly. So much for a quiet first day, huh?

It's been over a month since I first started at Lincoln High, and I am in no uncertain terms unpopular. I mean, girls trip me in the halls and at lunch, boys mock me, adn the only friends I have are Maya and Allie, two girls I met in Chem. Of course, I still have Code, but he hangs out with his other friends, Jadon and Kaide. He has changed a lot since I started. He lost his glasses and wears contacts, he doesn’t carefully style his hair, just wears it messy like the jocks. He started wearing clothes like bad boys do, you know, black jeans and a white tee. He even started to get some muscle too. On top of that, he dyed his hair white and got a nose ring. Code started to act and look like Darron and his friends, Kai and Jason.

As I toss my chemistry books on the top shelf of my completely black locker, I notice Code, Kaide, and Jadon surround one of the least popular nerdy girls, Kylie. Jadon pushes her against a locker and Kaide slaps her books out of her hand. Code just stands there, arms crossed and a smirk on his face. I can’t believe my eyes. Code, the guy who was always afraid of Darron and his friends, was now acting exactly like them.

“Stop!” Someone says, and it takes me a moment to realize that it had come out of my mouth. Code looks up, his smirk gone. His friends turn to me and they all walk over.

“Well, if it isn’t little miss unpopular.” Kaide sneers. I roll my eyes at him.

“What is wrong with you guys? You went from being bullied, to being bullies!” I turn to Code. “You're not like this and you know it.” I give him my best “'I'm disappointed in you” glare. He just rolls his eyes and walks away, Kaide and Jadon following. Maya and Allie come up to me with wide eyes. 

“What just happened?” Maya asks, pushing her black glasses up on her nose. I shake my head and shrug, slamming my locker closed just as the school bell rings.

“I don’t know, but do you want to go get ice cream at Alan’s?” They nod eagerly. Alan’s is the soda shop about a block from the school. It's where everyone goes to hang out, have their date, and just chillax. 

It takes us about five minutes to get there, me on my skateboard, and them on their matching pink floral bikes. As Allie gets off hers, the wind blows her grey skirt up and her orange hair in her face. A few guys nearby whistle as she blushes and hurriedly pushes her skirt down. I give the guys my best glare and they turn away.