Horse Story | Teen Ink

Horse Story

January 22, 2023
By LynnZheng, Dublin, Ohio
More by this author
LynnZheng, Dublin, Ohio
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments

A baby was born today. Her human-like body glistened while she cried, struggling in the hay that she laid above. The baby’s arms flailed as if she were in a battle; in a sense, she was. Even so, with the passing of time, her true self would inevitably overpower her human form, forcing her into servitude just like the rest of her kind. It was her destiny. Despite that, the baby still squirmed, pushing against the hay and scattering it. Her mother made no move to stop her, closing her eyes in thought. When she opened them again, a glint of hope shined through them, quivering as she whispered,

“Fight back, my dear. Never stop fighting back.”

The sun had long sunk behind the horizon when Kane made his way to the dreary farm. He could hear the usual growling of machinery and cracking of whips as he peered over the shabby fence. “Just in time,” he thought to himself, watching the arrogant, wealthy man unsaddle his father and mother. Kane slunk behind the man dragging his parents back into the horse stable, pushing his flowy, brown hair back as he did so. The man slammed the stable doors and charged back to his estate. Seeing him disappear into his ostentatious home, Kane leaped over the fence and crept into the stalls. He brought human food for his parents; it was the only way they could feel free these days. 


“Kane,” his mother beckoned, “come over here.” Kane’s mother used her muzzle to push something out of the hay and towards the door of the stall.


Kane tilted his head in and frowned. “You want me to take Sophie?” 


His mother pierced him with her huge eyes. “She ought to learn the human ways. Your father and I don’t want to influence her badly. Children are so impressionable when they are young.” 


Kane pursed his lips. Children disgusted him, especially when he was related to them. He narrowed his eyes at Sophie dusting herself off. Sophie was a lean child with hair similar to Kane’s. Her face was a reflection of his as well, save her lack of a constant scowl. Staring up at Kane, she made no move to escape the stall nor dash back into her hiding place. The musty smell that shot through the stables forced Kane to break her gaze. He coughed into his elbow before glowering at Sophie again. Despite being towered over by a boy with a build of a basketball player, Sophie had yet to move a muscle. Their father neighed and stomped his hooves.


“Stop being a prick and take the child. You’re cutting into our sleeping hours with your assholeness.” Kane huffed and looked away. The mustiness of the place appeared to be gaining strength.


“Fine,” he grumbled. Pulling open the stable door, Kane replaced Sophie with the human food.


“Bring cupcakes tomorrow. We like cupcakes,” Kane’s father munched on the pasta.


“Sure, sure,” Kane muttered, dragging his sister behind him as he left the stables.

The stench of his shack gave little reprieve to Kane’s nostrils. Despite being buried deep in the forest, the smell still managed to drive away any prospective neighbors. He kicked open the lousy doors and led Sophie inside. The shack was a mess. Blankets were littered all over the floor as the wooden walls of the shack shuddered under the wind’s anger. The only things that remained clean were the clothes that Kane stole just last week.


“Where’d you get all that food?” Sophie pointed to the plates on the table in the corner where the smell was coming from.


“I borrowed them permanently.” He wrinkled his nose. “Speaking of which, I need to throw em’ out.”


“Did you also borrow this shack permanently?”


“No, I found it,” Kane crossed his arms and sneered.


“Did you-”


“No more questions,” he snapped, “I’m introducing you to someone.” Kane pivoted around and pointed with bravado at a pile of blankets on the ground. Sophie opened her mouth in confusion before noticing a carbon replica of Kane peeking out of the blankets.


“Hey, I’m Von. I’m Kane’s younger brother. Sorry for the appearance of the shack. I didn’t know we would have visitors today. Or ever.” Von threw off his armor of blankets and held out his hand. Sophie took it and smiled. The carbon replica had messier hair than his older brother as well as shorter height and a stick-like body.


“I’m Sophie. I’m your younger sister, I suppose.”


“Anyways,” Kane cut in, “we’re going to The Hospital right now, Von. C’mon.” He walked towards the sighing doors and put his hands on his hips. Von followed but looked back at Sophie.


“She’s not coming with us?”


Kane scoffed, impatience filling his breath. “She’s still so young, dimwit. Still has time before The Transformation.”


“Alright, alright,” Von neighed. Kane whipped his head back as Von’s eyes jutted out and hands flashed up to his mouth.

 

“Meds, dammit! Take your damn meds!” Kane’s voice seemed to shake the dying shack impossibly more.


“I-I ran out.”


“Then we’re leaving now!” He yanked the door open and shooed Von out. He took a deep breath before turning back to his younger sister. “Stay there, don’t f*ck anything up.” The door banged shut, leaving Sophie alone in the crying shack.

There was a line by the time they arrived. Some horses looked just like humans while others couldn’t even stand upright. Von noted how they all looked like a string of ants marching into a great dome of light as he and Kane shoved their way into the line and waited. The wind whistled through the tall oaks that kept The Hospital hidden from the outside world. Kane coughed at the stench permeating what seemed to be his entire body, eyeing the fidgeting horses that surrounded him. Countless beady eyes focused on the dome. Screams echoed from within. Kane frowned as an annoying voice interrupted his thoughts.


“Still doing it?” A girl, or what was left of a girl, stood to the side.


“Not doing it?” Kane raised an eyebrow.


“Nah, I’m not stupid.” She shook what was the beginning of a mane. Von stared in horror as Alathea snorted and neighed. He was joined by the somber gazes of the surrounding horses.


“Hey, mind beating it?” Kane hissed, “you’re making us look ridiculous. Just because you failed doesn’t mean you have to go around verbally polluting the air around us.” Alathea laughed and cantered towards the trees.


“Alright, alright. Do whatever the hell you want. Just remember-” she looked over her shoulder with a sneer. “Almost no one has made it to the Permanence Point. Horses can’t be humans.” Von watched as Alathea’s tail disappeared into the dark green thicket.


“Don’t mind her,” Kane said, “she just didn’t try hard enough. We’re gonna make it. We’re better than that.” He glanced at his younger brother. “At least, I’m better than that. I hope you are too.” Von looked away, unable to meet his eyes as the dome came to loom above them. Inside, a few scrub-clad humans stood wielding scalpels and forceps. They watched the brothers with pitiful eyes. Kane entered first with Von trailing closely behind him. The interior of the dome was filled with nothing but figures cloaked in white and rundown medical equipment. Blinding, operating lights hung from the ceiling like sleeping bats as medical personnel shuffled around. Kane gagged at the overpowering mustiness mixed with blood. He stumbled towards the first operation table and sat down, watching as Von took the table next to him. A nurse brought them two bottles of whiskey; they couldn’t afford anesthesia. After he set the bottle to his side and his throat stopped burning, Kane laid down and signaled the surgeon over. He shut his eyes as screams once again radiated throughout the dome.

Once home, Von bolted towards his bed on the left side of the shack, collapsing into it and whimpering. Kane glared at the corner where he had left a now absent Sophie. “You have got to be kidding me.” He shoved his way outside and found his sister pacing around in circles behind the shack.


“Hey! What are you doing?” Kane snapped as he slid in front of Sophie and folded his arms across his chest. 


“I was practicing walking.” Kane paused, searching through Sophie’s eyes.


“Why?” The mockery had left his tone, replaced by genuine interest.


“So I can pass for a human.” At this, a small smile spread across Kane’s face. Years have passed since he sat on the bench, intensively watching human children running around the playground. Two legs, no gallop. 


“Well, it’s no use if you have nothing to practice off of,” Kane said. “How about you start attending preschool tomorrow?” Sophie brightened, accepting the offer with vigorous nods of her head. “Good, good,” he laughed a little, “go back inside and sleep, then. We get up early for school, and you’ll have to come with us. You can take my bed for tonight.” Sophie thanked him and headed back into the shack, walking with perfect posture. Kane waited to hear the door shut before starting towards town; it was time to enroll Sophie in preschool.

As the sun climbed into the sky, Von rose from his bed with the magnificence of a slug. His body felt like it had been dragged through a mountain all night. Looking to the right of the shack, Von noticed that Kane and Sophie were already gone. “What the hell,” Von dragged himself towards the door.


“So you’re finally up,” Kane stood outside with a grimace. “Lazy-ass. We’re gonna be late because of you.” 


“She’s coming with us?” Von ignored Kane’s comment, instead looking at the child by Kane’s side.


“Mhm. Dropping her off at the preschool.”


“How were you able to sign her up on such short notice?”


“Unimportant. We’re going now. C’mon.” Kane began walking towards town, pulling Sophie along with him. Von frowned but followed a few steps behind. As they left the trees and came upon cobblestone walkways, taking care not to be seen, Kane turned towards his youngest sibling.


“Did you bring the food I packed for you?”


“Mhm. It’s right here.” Von’s ears perked up, bewildered.


“You gave her some of your food? No way. You would never do that. You never shared your food with me.”


Kane looked back and scoffed, “that’s because you’re hopeless.” Before Von could retaliate, Kane continued, “but anyways, we’re here now. Go on, Sophie. Remember, never let them find out you’re a horse.” Sophie shuffled towards the preschool, examining the children heading in the same direction. The preschool was a small, rectangular building with a fence. Kids squealed on the playground while the Pangean flag danced around its flagpole. Kane, watching Sophie’s awkward ascension up the school steps, made a mental note to himself to warn Sophie against strange behavior.


“Shouldn’t we accompany her on her first day?” Von stared after Sophie, concern apparent on his face. Kane rolled his eyes and started off to their high school.


“No. She’s fine, we’re gonna be late.” Von shook his head, frustration plaguing his thoughts, and ran to his brother’s side. The high school was to the right of the preschool, just around the corner. It looked like a larger, depressed version of the preschool. Instead of a playground, it had a poor excuse for a garden. It possessed two more stories than the preschool but far less joy. Kane sighed in dismay as he walked in. “At least it doesn’t smell musty.”

“Hand me those pretzels, bro!” Von reached over the lunch table and smacked the bag out of Andrew’s hand. Andrew grinned, bending over to pick up his pretzels. He then launched the bag into Von’s face, causing him to almost fall over his chair.


“Yeah, of course, dude! You know I gotchu’!” Laughter erupted from everyone besides Von. Even Kane gave off a small chuckle.


Laugh! Kane mouthed to Von, raising an eyebrow. Von’s face turned red as he began chortling like a horse, not realizing that his friends had suddenly fallen silent.


“Did you just…neigh?” Andrew paused, scrunching his eyebrows together before contorting his face in disgust. “Humans don’t neigh!” Von froze, horror dawning on him.


“Wh-what are you saying?”


“You know exactly what I’m saying. Do humans neigh, Von? Huh? No. No we don’t. The only creature I can think of that would make such a disturbing sound is a horse! Are you a horse, Von? Aren’t you a horse?” Andrew hissed. He was met only with deafening silence, confirming his suspicions. Von looked helplessly towards Kane, but Kane refused to meet his eyes, instead looking down at the floor. Following Von’s gaze, Andrew found a new victim to lash out on.


“You’re his brother, right? That means you’re a horse too!” Andrew looked frighteningly amused with the whole situation. “Holy f*cking sh*t, we’re surrounded by horses!” He laughed in disbelief, the joy draining from his voice. Glaring at the brothers, he spat, “Get out. Now. Before I report you.”


Kane slammed his hands on the table and stood up. “Did you just call me a horse?” He seethed, “hell if I’m a horse! You look more like a horse than me with that sh*t you call teeth!” He loomed over Andrew, pushing him to shrink back, and half-whispered, “don’t you dare insult me like that again.” Kane took a second before spitting onto Andrew’s face. Shaking as he wiped the saliva off, Andrew turned away from Kane and settled on Von instead. “You-you’re a horse! Leave! No one wants you anywhere besides the farm!” Von held his hands up, pleading.


“Wait, wait. Can’t we just talk this through? Can’t we-”


“Just leave, Von. Just leave.” Kane looked at Von coolly, shaking his head. Von swallowed, peering into his friends’ closed-off eyes. No one would look at him but Andrew. Bringing a fist to his lips, he inhaled sharply and bolted out of the school.

“Did something happen to Von?” Sophie asked when only Kane picked her up.


“Yeah.”


“What?”


“He just made a mistake.” Sophie glanced at Kane with caution, biting her tongue. Silence surrounded them as they left the town. She routinely looked up towards him, hoping that he would explain the situation further. Kane did little to calm her mind. The only thing he said when they were a few feet away from the entrance was “prepare for a scene.” Sophie opened the door, letting Kane go before venturing in herself. There, she found a crying Von in the corner of the room.


“They’re gonna tell everyone, right?” Von whimpered.


“Yes,” Kane said.


“So it’s over? Just like that? Why didn’t you stand up for me?” Von’s body folded into itself.


“You know I couldn’t. It would have been too suspicious,” Kane sighed. Wrinkling his nose, Kane shoved his way out of the shack. “I need a breath of fresh air.” Von watched his brother shut the door then turned away, sobbing towards the walls. Sophie walked over to him and placed a hand on his arm. 


“I’m sorry, Von.” Von didn’t respond. He shook his head and mourned to himself. Twenty-five minutes passed before he spoke again. “Since there’s no point in me going to high school anymore, I can take you to preschool by myself and save Kane the hassle.”


“You don’t need to worry about that right now, Von.” Sophie paused, considering his offer. “But I would like that. I would be happy to spend more time with you.” Von smiled at her, opening his mouth to respond when they heard the door creak.


“Kane, I have an idea to save you time.” He explained his plan to take Sophie to preschool alone, observing Kane’s indifferent reaction. Kane eyed the growing hair on Von’s neck. 


“No, that’s fine. I’ll take her to school by myself.” Von’s smile fell from his face, replaced with weary lines of stress. He looked down towards the ground. 


“Sure, whatever.” Von clutched his legs and groaned. “Damn, I’m getting post surgery pains again.”


“Well, good thing you don’t have to get surgery anymore,” Kane muttered, “I’ll just go alone now. Look after Sophie while I’m gone.” Ignoring his brother’s lamentations, Kane left once again.

After a year, Sophie was set to begin grade school. It was at this time that she was beginning to pick at the growing keratin on her hands. Kane called Sophie to his side, deciding it was necessary to bring her to The Hospital.


“Let’s go over a few things,” Kane said while they were in line. “The surgery will hurt, but you’ll get used to it eventually. After you get the surgery, you will sporadically get pains over your body throughout your day. Just stay still and wait for the pain to fade when this happens. Make sure to always take medicine in the morning to keep your vocal chords in shape, and never make too much noise. You might accidentally neigh. Understand?


“I have a few questions.” Sophie didn’t miss a beat.


“Go ahead.”


“Why would these humans help us in the first place?” Kane shrugged his shoulders, shaking his head in bewilderment.


“They just pity our fortune I guess.” He paused before adding, “they’re often shunned by society, so be respectful towards them.”


“I see.” Sophie looked down at her shoes, inside of which were the beginnings of small hooves. “Does every horse go through this process?”


“Yes, every horse eventually goes through The Transformation, though everyone might go through it at different speeds. That means that all of us have to get surgery, including you and me.” Kane followed Sophie’s gaze towards her shoes. “The good news is, if you continuously get surgery, your body will permanently take the form of a human when you’re 18. That’s called the Permanence Point, and that’s what we’re working towards. We just need to bear through the pain until then.” She frowned, looking up at him.


“So are there any other side effects to the surgeries besides surgery pains?” Kane sighed, running a hand through his hair.


“We don’t know. So far, it seems the only effects are surgery pains, but we’re unsure about the full effects. Maybe we would know more about them if we experimented with the few horses who managed to reach the Permanence Point, but we haven’t been able to contact them for some reason,” he huffed. Before Kane could continue, a familiar voice spoke up.


“So, who’s this kid? Von’s replacement?” The only part of Alathea that resembled a human was bits of her face.


Kane ignored Alathea’s comment. “You haven’t been Taken yet,” he said.


“No. Much to your dismay I assume.”


“Taken?” Sophie chimed in. Alathea sneered at the girl, making Sophie inch back in disconcertment.


“It’s where the humans come and take you to their residence to make you do sh*t for them. You can’t refuse it unless you want to starve to death.” Scowling, Kane pushed Alathea back.


“Don’t talk to her like that, scum.” He looked down at his youngest sibling. “But this is why we are here, Sophie. To change our fate.”


“You still don’t see it?” Alathea laughed, “well, you will soon. Your brother did.” With that, she whirled around and dashed into the woods. A few seconds passed before a gust of wind hit Sophie, making her shiver. She still felt unsettled when Kane led her into the dome and motioned for her to lie in the bed next to his. After coughing and gasping at the whiskey, medical personnel began crowding around her. Sophie pulled back.


“It’s okay, Sophie,” Kane’s voice was hazy for some reason. “Just close your eyes.”

Autumn was settling in as Kane walked towards the grade school to pick up his younger sister. He smiled when he saw Sophie already waiting by the gate for him. “Did you learn anything today?”


“Mhm. I learned that humans are terrible at running.” Kane chuckled at her response. 


“And why is that?”


“Because they have no stamina.” Sophie quickly added, “I made sure to be bad as well.”


“Good, good. I know you did.” The girl suddenly frowned, looking up at her brother.


“Kane, my legs really hurt.” Kane grinned at her.


“Surgery pains, just like I told you about. Wait a few seconds, it’ll go away.” Sophie did so and soon enough, the pain disappeared.


Months passed by, each day consisting of Kane picking Sophie up and Sophie explaining to Kane what she learned. “I learned that humans don’t shake their heads as thoroughly as we do,” she said once. “I learned that humans enjoy mocking each other a lot,” she said another. One day, when the cold air bit at her, Kane did not show up. An hour passed before Sophie decided she ought to move. “This can’t be good,” she muttered as she ventured home alone. She pushed into the shack and saw a silhouette curled up in a ball against the corner. “Kane?” The figure slowly raised its head, revealing bruises and cuts all over its face.


“Andrew showed up with a gang of humans and beat him.” Von was crouching next to it.


“They hit me and hit me until I started yelling.” Kane’s eyes looked dazed. “And then they hit me more until I-” Kane struggled to get the words out of his mouth. “Until I neighed.”


“Andrew said he knew that Kane wasn’t human,” Von continued, sensing the lump in Kane’s throat. “He just had to prove it.”


“By forcing Kane to make a lot of noise.” Sophie recalled what Kane told her. Once she said this, sounds of ragged wailing began filling the shack. 


“It’s okay,” Von tried to calm Kane. “It’s okay. We still have Sophie, remember? We have another chance.” Kane continued crying, burying his head in his knees. Countless minutes passing before he could speak.


“You’re right,” he choked out. “I just wish it could’ve been me.” Still shaking, he directed his gaze towards the youngest sibling. “Sophie, listen to me now. Make it to college. That’s all you have to do. From there, you can safely reach your Permanence Point.” He crawled closer to her. “You’re smart,” he said. “Maybe smarter than me. Just have to make it to college without them finding out. They can’t kick you out once you’re there.” His voice was starting to regain its usual strength. “Do it for us, Sophie. Please.” Sophie reached out and took his hand, giving him her promise.


“I’ll do whatever it takes.”

Years flew by quicker than the morning breeze, every autumn bringing about a reminder of Sophie’s promise. Sophie watched as her brothers’ backs became more crooked and listened as they began to talk less, the destiny they had tried to escape finally swallowing them. “The Transformation is almost complete,” Sophie would hear Kane muttering to himself. Sophie started experiencing surgery pains more frequently, earning neighs of empathy from Von. Much to her annoyance, the pains gradually decided to stay longer and longer in her body as well. 


It was the day before college decisions. Sophie found herself in a small, neat cafe with her friends. Wearing a mask of serenity, she hid her racing heart. “I heard that there have been horses trying to lie into college,” one of her friends scoffed. “Can you imagine that? A horse? In college?”


“That’s so disgusting,” another gagged. Sophie felt the hairs on the back of her neck rising higher with every joke.


“God, I hope those colleges do their jobs weeding them out,” a third said. “I think I just might die if I see a horse in college.” 


“For real. I wouldn’t be able to stand having one of those worthless creatures at the same table as me.” Catching their mouths beginning to open in amusement, Sophie started laughing. Right on cue. The laugh left a bitter taste in her mouth but seemed to fool her friends. Even so, she felt herself having a harder and harder time to keep her mask up.


“Guys, I think I’m gonna head home early. I don’t feel well today.” Sophie wasn’t lying, she was feeling a familiar ache. Throwing caution to the wind, she dashed out of the cafe before hearing their responses. Her bones cursed with every step as bile built in her mouth, threatening to leap out and ruin her day. Sophie whipped her way around the buildings, shooting towards the woods. 


It was dead silent when she neared her home. She went inside. Kane and Von were not there. “Oh, oh God no.” Sophie looked around outside, praying that she would spot the two. She didn’t. Panic started settling in. “No, no, no!” Sophie wrestled her hands through her hair, screaming in frustration. Wind whooshed through the trees, scattering millions of leaves as she stilled. Sophie let her arms fall to her sides, taking a deep breath. Fighting back the urge to sob, she headed to where she knew they were.

The sun had long fallen by the time she reached the morbid farm. Machinery still whined and whips still screeched, stuck in their eternal routine. There was an attempt at repairing the fence, but it still looked as useless as it did years ago. Sophie peered over it and almost cried at the sight. There they were, Kane and Von, completely transformed, with her mother and father. The four of them were being forced into the stable by a new, young master. Watching his shadow disappear into the house, Sophie jumped over the fence and edged towards the stalls. Her family didn’t notice her until she called out to them. “Sophie? Is that you?” Her mother said, “why did you come here?”


“Because Kane and Von.” Sophie began to tremble. 


“Stop, Sophie. Hold yourself together.” Kane shook his mane. “Tomorrow is college decisions. You’re gonna make it, Sophie. Just hold yourself together.” Sophie bit her lip, attempting to calm herself.


“Kane is right,” Von said, “you need to hold yourself together for tomorrow. The longer you stay here, the higher the chance that you’ll get caught.” She wiped at her eyes, trying her best to speak in a steady voice.


“I don’t want to leave you here. I don’t-”


“You promised us, Sophie,” Kane interrupted, “you promised to make it. And you’re almost there! Don’t risk your future by staying here any longer. Please. Go.” Sophie peered at all of them. They stared back, gazes demanding her to leave. Sophie sighed, her legs were beginning to ache again anyways.


“I’ll be back tomorrow,” Sophie said as she pulled open the doors. Willing herself to not look back, she bolted out of the stable. The sky was submerged in ink by the time she reached home.

“Sophie Roswell !” The announcer called. Sophie rushed up stage to receive her letters. Her hands were sweating profusely as she reached out to take the bundle from the announcer. Finding a desolate corner, Sophie skirted off and held her letters in front of her eyes.


“No one’s figured anything out,” she tried to reassure herself as she prepared to open the first, most important letter, “it’ll all go exactly as planned.” Sophie took a deep breath and, closing her eyes, pulled the envelope open and took out her letter. “Congratulations…” she let out a loud exhale, having been holding her breath. “Yes,” she laughed, “yes!” Sophie swayed a little, ignoring the growing ache, and thought to herself, “I’ve done it! I’ve done it! They’ll be so proud of me! I’ve done it!” The youngest sibling felt like prancing around the room. “I’ll go show them right now!” Remembering her promise, she slipped out the main doors to find her family.

Sophie hid behind the fence, waiting for the horses to go on break. The sun had started crawling back down the sky when she heard the laborers finally trudge back into the stalls. A sound of a whip rang through the farm as the human stomped away. Sophie ventured towards the stalls, keeping her eye on the seething figure shoving itself through the door of the estate. She pushed open the gates, rummaging through her pocket for the letter. Before she could pull it out, Sophie’s eyes fell on a cage before her and bile filled her mouth; Von had been reduced to a writhing heap of bruises and lash marks. “Von!” Sophie cried out, rushing towards her brother. 


“Sophie?” Von could barely raise his head to look at her. “Did you get in?”


“How does that matter right now?” Sophie blubbered, “you’re hurt, Von! I should go buy ointment, o-or something!” She frantically began pacing around the stable.


“There’s nothing you can do about this, Sophie,” Von responded, “it’ll be fine. The humans won’t let me die just yet.”


“No, no! There must be something I can do!” Sophie shook her head.


“There isn't, Sophie. The stuff you can get won’t be effective. I’ll be fine, Sophie. Really. Can you tell us if you got in?” Von blinked slowly, laying his head back down.


“No-”

 

“Sophie,” her mother cut in, “listen to Von. There’s nothing you can do, there’s nothing we can do. Don’t you think we would have done something if we could?” Her mother sniffled.


“Why is he in a damn cage!?”


“They didn’t want him bleeding all over the stalls. Now what do your letters say?” Kane neighed. Her family stared at her motionlessly. Sophie swallowed, shocked at the scene before her, but pulled the crumpled letter out of her pocket. With quivering arms, she presented it to all the horses in the stable. The other horses took to murmuring amongst themselves; some of them looked at her with admiration while others glared at her with envy. Sophie dropped her gaze towards the ground and remained silent. 


“We’re happy for you, Sophie,” Von coughed out. 


“It was expected,” Kane grinned.


“No!” Sophie interrupted, sobbing, “how can I go to college while you’re all suffering like this? We’re a family, aren’t we?”


“You have to go to college because we are suffering like this,” her mother said, “we’ve been waiting for this day for generations.” Her father nodded in agreement. Sophie squeezed her eyes shut; her letter had become soggy under her onslaught of tears.


“You’ll be okay. We’ll be okay.” Kane smiled. “Everything will be okay in the end, Sophie. Once you graduate top of your class, get a good job and buy us away. Then we’ll all be together. Just like how it should have been from the beginning. Von won’t have to go through any more pain if you work hard, Sophie.” Sophie looked up at him, trembling. “It’s dark out. They should be expecting you back at the dorms now. Go, Sophie. Make a good first impression.” Sophie made no move to leave.


“Please go,” Von pleaded, “if not for you, for us. Go quickly, Sophie. Please.” Sophie struggled to meet their eyes as they all urged her to leave. A few long, excruciating minutes passed before she took a deep breath and responded.


“Is this really how it’s going to be?”


“Yes,” her family replied.


Sophie exhaled. “I see,” she bowed her head. “In that case… In that case, I swear I’ll be back to free you.” She wiped away her tears and held her fist up. “I’ll work harder than the humans. Then we can all be together again. Just wait for me.” Sophie still shook a little, but life had returned to her voice.


“Yes, of course we’ll wait for you,” Von neighed, “get some rest now. We’ll always be here.” Sophie paused but nodded.


“Okay, I’ll go now. But I’m not leaving. I’ll be back.” Determination flowed through her promise as Sophie looked one last time at her family before turning towards the stable doors.


“Goodnight, Sophie,” Kane called after her as she left, “and happy 18th birthday.” 

After finding her dorm, Sophie plopped down on her bed and tried to coax herself to sleep. Her mind wandered towards her college; it was truly gorgeous. Different kinds of flora and fauna made their homes in the garden while the campus itself was lined with magnificently sculpted architecture. It disgusted her. “Really, its beauty is just a mask to cover up how ugly it is on the inside,” Sophie scoffed to herself. Turning onto her side, images of her family—of Kane and Von—washed over her. “All their sacrifices, all their blood, it won’t be in vain. I’ll make sure of that. Yes, everything is finally coming together. We’ll soon all be free. We’ll soon all be free!” As her anger slowly bubbled down, replaced by resolve, Sophie almost smiled; it felt as if her hands were mere inches from her dreams. A fire of hope ignited in her heart as Sophie nestled her head into the pillow, her thoughts drifting away. 


Suddenly, a familiar pain in her leg jerked her awake. “It’s just surgery pains again,” Sophie thought with irritation. She waited for it to disappear. 30 seconds passed. Two minutes passed. 10, 15 minutes passed. The pain grew stronger. Sophie furrowed her brows in confusion. She clung to her legs and rolled up into a shuddering ball. “What?” A gradual feeling of coldness was beginning to build on her. Sophie shivered; it was freezing despite how many blankets she was under. Her face paled and she struggled to breathe. Gasping, Sophie desperately tried to keep the air in her lungs. She inhaled, coldness biting at her. She exhaled, frost seeping into her bones. She inhaled again, lightless fingers reaching for her throat. She exhaled again, her family slipping away. Sophie coughed, a bitter iron taste filling her mouth. Her hands shook still, mere inches from her dreams.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.