Romeo and Juliet--A Parody | Teen Ink

Romeo and Juliet--A Parody

By CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." --Douglas Adams

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." --Marcus Aurelius

Summary:

Juliet Capulet is just your average teenage girl until a chance meeting at a community dance changes her life forever. She meets Romeo Montague, who immediately starts stalking her, claiming they are meant to be together. For Juliet, this is just too much; she calls the police. How did such a story inspire the great William Shakespeare? It's not how you think!

CarrieAnn13

Romeo and Juliet--A Parody

CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

No worries. :)  I really appreciate the time you took to read my novel.  Is there anything of yours you'd like me to read?

my.freedom.lies.in.free.verse PLATINUM, Tosa, Wisconsin

"I'm in love with you, and I know that love is just a shout into a void, and that oblivion is inevitable... and I know the sun will swallow the only earth we'll ever have, and I am in love with you." Augustus Waters

oh. guess so.

CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thanks for the comment! :)  But I think you missed the part where Shakespeare takes Romeo back to Medieval England with him.

Wait, how does Romeo end up living in medeival England if this story took place in modern-day? Anyway, I loved the Shakespeare part thats hilarious i love how you described Shakespeare writing the story. also, romeo as a stalker?! NICE!

CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thanks for commenting! :)

CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thanks for commenting! :)  And don't worry about the feedback for feedback, I'm getting to it.  But alas, volleyball season.

Joyce_Cankar said...
Joyce_Cankar, Montreal, Other
Very easy and fun to read. Have you ever seen the play "Good night Desdemona, good night Juliet"? Well, anyways, it has some vibe such as that. 

JillianNora SILVER, Forest Park, Illinois

"Do not let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith and in purity." -1 Timothy 4:12

Very cute! I love how you included Shakespeare in the story. I really like how you have Juliet respond to Romeo:) and it's really well written! I couldn't find one grammatical error. Great job!! (if you're bored, I'd love some feedback on my novel "Stuck in the Past":)

CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thanks for commenting! :)

Erecura PLATINUM, Eugene, Oregon

"Hell is empty; all the devils are here."
The tempest

I liked it! My only suggestion is to slow it down a bit, it all seems to be happening very fast. Other than that I loved it. It made me laugh really hard!

CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thanks for commenting!  I'll check out your short stories as soon as I can. :)

kingofwriters BRONZE, DeWitt, Michigan

"Books are a uniquely portable magic." - Stephen King

I love books, and I love technology, but I don't want to see the latter overwhelm the former. I just think books are meant to be pages you turn, not screens you scroll through.

You weren't kidding when you put humor as one of the tags for this book!

I really liked this book! It was well-written and hilarious!

I wrote two stories; they're in the thriller/mystery section. I'd really like you to read them and give me some feedback.

Keep up the good writing!

CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thanks so much for commenting!  I wrote this a while ago and if I were to rewrite it (which I'm not), those would be most of the changes I'd make.  :)

DefyingGravity BRONZE, Doha, Other

Very well written.

And incredibly funny. That's all I pretty much have to say--this left me laughing so hard and wanting to read more! I'm impressed at your ability to write humour--I can't pull it off myself and I don't know a lot of people who can.

I don't see any major problems with the dialogue--I did find it a little bit sloppy at some points, but nothing that honestly ruined the story or made the characters seem unrealistic.

A few things though--actually, only two:

* Your use of semi-colons. There are some places where you could use dashes instead--this isn't actually an error. It's more like an opinion. Dashes pretty much do what semi-colons do (I think XD). But if you want to use semi-colons, go right ahead ^^.

*Breaking up of paragraphs. There are people like me who have terrible eyesight. Big chunks of text are hard on my poor eyes. And with TI's font size and layout...well, again, it isn't something major or glaring. Just a little something I wanted to point out.

Aside from that, excellent work :).

CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thanks for commenting! :)

Kvothe28 SILVER, Temecula, California

Excuse me while I prepare my impromptu remarks. -Winston Churchill

Tell it like it is, not how it was. -Jonathan

Break it down like a fine English double-gun. -R. Bitoni

I thought this was really good. I think it would be extremely hard to write a parody, to put a fresh twist on something so well known, but you did a great job. 5 Stars =)

CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thank you very much! :)

Steph0804 GOLD said...
Steph0804 GOLD, Seoul, Other

"Explaining a joke is like dissecting a frog: you understand it better, but the frog dies in the process." -E.B. White

I love the idea that Shakespear traveled into our time for inspiration; the "original" Romeo and Juliet is a lot more hilarious than the "real" version! Nice job! I laughed so much, I almost fell out of my chair! :D

CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thank you!  :)  I appreciate the feedback.

julian GOLD said...
julian GOLD, Eugene, Oregon

The goal is not about living forever, the goal is about creating something that can.

This is such a great parody of Romeo and Juliet!!! it is HILARIOUS!!! I really like how Shakespeare went forward in time to get ideas for a play, and then went back in time to put his ideas into action. Brilliant! Your dialogue seems a little sloppy at times. It's like you're undecided whether to go full out with shakespeare language, or do modern day language. But it is a comedic story, so it works okay. But really, this was really funny, and really imaginative. Great job!