stone crest | Teen Ink

stone crest

By nerdlover17 PLATINUM, kendallivlle, Indiana
nerdlover17 PLATINUM, Kendallivlle, Indiana

Kyla
The clouds were rolling in and the wind was blowing when I stepped into stone crest. The moon was bright and full. It seemed like a welcome almost to an old friend. It had been a long time since I was here. I took in the beautiful landscape, full of trees and wildlife. The daises still were growing and the roses were tangled in the posts of an old decrepit fence. That was just like this town tangled in intricate line of lies. The rain droplets began to fall on my hand. I sighed it was nice to be back to my roots, no matter how shady they may be. My motivations for coming back were simple, simple as could be. They’d soon figure them out.
“Sen Sen”, I called. My familure came to me. She had black hair and dark skin. Even in her human form Sen Sen has a blue tail and ears. “You know what to do find the girl. I’ll do the rest.” I smiled, glad to be back home. Sen Sen bowed and vanished. I just stood there and took in the sight. My raven black hair blowed in the wind, just like the events that would soon surely blow as well. Things were going to change and change drastically. I spread my arms to the sky and summoned lighting, saying I’m back.

Brigit
I heard the thunder crack and woke up startled. What was that!? I heard a voice whisper through the wind calling I’m back, I’m back. I was startled. I felt an unusual occurrence of power. What was that? Were there evil forces at work? Ever since my mom was put in the hospital things have been off. I wish she was here and she didn’t go insane. I wish I could turn to my father, but I couldn’t do anything at all with that. My father hated me. I couldn’t stop it. Maybe this I could stop, maybe. I went to the only person I knew could help me Aran.
I knocked on Aran’s door. He opened the door not looking mad that I came at midnight. His familiar dark skin and dark curly hair gave me comfort.
“Aran something is wrong. I felt an imbalance again. I think something evils here.” Tears began to form from stress and memories.
“Come in Brigit, you don’t have to stand in the cold.” He gestured to the warm and inviting room. I nodded shivering from the winds that wouldn’t stop blowing.
“What do you think it is Aran? I know something’s up.

Something’s been up ever since the mom incident. Now it’s getting worse. Do you feel it too?” Aran looked like he was pondering about something.
He finally said, “Yes I have, I don’t know if it’s good or bad though. It feels off, like it shouldn’t be here. Yet then it feels like it fits. I don’t know if it’s good or evil. I do know this though it is strong, very strong. It will change things if we can’t stop it. I don’t know if it’s for better or for worse.” He looked a little concerned and a little curious.
“So it could change things for better or for worse, great, just frickin’ great,” I sighed.
“It will be fine Brigit. Well figure this out.” He gently hugged me and kissed the top of my head, like all big brothers should. For a few minutes he just held me. I just couldn’t help, but think it was me who caused this. I was the one who started this train of events. What was going to happen to us?
“Aran what’s with the noise?” a drowsy voice called from the bedroom.” She walked out, almost stumbling.

“Oh it’s you,” Hansa said sourly as she pointed to me. She stalked away back to her room. My face looked a bit angry.
“She’s 15 Brigit remember that.” Aran reminded me. I sighed.
“Well I’d better be going anyways, it’s late….” I frowned.
“You are right, good bye Brigit. Love you sis.” He held open the door, giving me one last hug. I turned around once more as he closed the door, just to see his reassuring face.

Madison
I heard the door creak open. I sighed, my roommate Brigit was coming in late again. What was she doing at twelve in the morning? Was she sleeping around? I tossed over in my bed and decided to follow her the next time she went out like that. It wasn’t like she’d see me anyways. I was really fast and could travel through time. I smiled mischievously. She was in for a hell of a time.

Dylan
Something was wrong with Brigit. I could just tell. She looked worn and tired when she entered the lecture hall. I wish I knew what was wrong with my best friend, but part of her was always closed off. I honestly doubted the pretense of her causes. It was always a headache or cramping. It was always had a rough night or couldn’t sleep. What was wrong with her? It hurt to know she couldn’t tell me. Then again I couldn’t tell her my most guarded secret. I mean how could you tell your best friend, the only one who could help you that you were a ½ demon? It was forbidden anyways by our laws. I sighed and saw her walking towards me. She was really beautiful, even when she was sad. Her reddish brown and wavy hair swayed a she walked towards me. her sweet face with rosier cheeks and sweet light green eyes that reminded me of fresh grass looked at me sadly. Her normal 5’5 heights looked smaller due to looking down at the ground. Her great smile that was always there was even diminished. I got up and walked towards her and gave my bestie a hug. She smiled a little as I used my power to improve people’s moods.
“Brigit, what’s wrong?” I asked, the concern was growing more and more per. second. I put my hand on her shoulder and gently held her tight.

“I’m just stressed as usual. My mom being in a coma is bugging me.” She sighed.
“I’m sorry. How can I help my bestie?” I asked trying to keep a cheerful mood, just to cheer her up.
“I really don’t know? I’ve made a mess of things. I deserve this Dylan.” I couldn’t reply to her comment because the bell rang forcing us to part. We went opposite ways to get in our seats. I sighed sadly. It was almost torture to see her hurt and not be able to help her. Class dragged on. Finally the bell rang and I got to help her again. Yet she was closed off if she was hiding something like mine. No, she wasn’t. She couldn’t be. I’d know, I’m sure I would, right?

Brigit
I left Dylan sad as ever. I wish I could tell my best friend, but I couldn’t tell him anyway. Since when did I become too big a witch to ignore my bestie? Was it right to keep it hidden? Would he judge? I wanted him safe, but he also needed to know before I lost him. I was torn as always between a normal life and my magical self. I looked back around to see he wasn’t there. Could I make that permanent?

Kyla
I checked into the hotel room. It was boring and discolored, but it would do. I had business to take care of. I opened one of my bags to find my looking glass. I found it and took out the small piece of metal framed glass that was about eight inches long. It had my name inscribed on it. I smiled at the familiar look of it. I whispered, “Brigit,” into the mirrored glass. It showed her wondering if she could tell Dylan about her. Hmm who was Dylan I thought. I whispered his name I and saw he was a half demon. Perfect, I smiled, oh so perfect.

Brigit
I sighed while I laid in my bed. The question still kept coming to my mind. Should I tell him? Part of me thought I should, but part of me disagreed. Brigit, Brigit tell him. Tell him. The temptation was so great. Even the wind spirits told me too. I had to tell him. I needed some blood first though…..

Madison
I heard the door click shut and smiled here was my chance. I saw her leave west street and go down Ralph Avenue. Hmm why was she in an ally? I saw her exchange money and then smile and head inside a door that had a sunset on it. I went really fast and got in before the guard even saw me. That’s when I saw everyone was a vampire, everyone. Brigit was in the corner drinking some bizarre drink. As I snuck closer I could see the liquid was red and it reeked. Yep, she was a blood sucker too. She turned around and looked right at me. I tried to get away, but she made me feel like I was trapped in my place. She walked over and said, “Come outside, I can explain.” I nodded. She gestured towards the door and disappeared.

Brigit
I sighed, great now she knows. I wanted to pound my head against a wall, but that wouldn’t help anything. She interrupted my train of thought and I spilled my secret. I told her I was a natural vampire and I meant no harm. I told her about how my

mom was a witch. I told her about my father being a vampire. After I spilled I looked her right in the eye.

“Listen you have your gifts so do I. respect it, don’t think of telling either. You are fast, but not fast enough to escape them. They’ll hurt you and you know it. I don’t want you getting hurt for my sake.” I was completely serious as I told her.
She nodded and said,” your secret is safe with me.” then she took off. I sighed and groaned. Why were roommates such nightmares?

Robert
I looked around at the despicable world around me. Once we ruled. Now they pests we now call humans rule. Human, scum compared to us. I came from a race of fallen angels that they now call demons. We got kicked out for hunting them. We lost our wings for those pricks and got the title demon. We were right, but we got punishment for it. The others grew soft, but me I was strong. My parents were traitors. They gave me human name, but soon they´d see. I´m not like them. Never will I betray my race. Soon

they´d know who we really are. I saw one of the traitors pass. What a waste! She was beautiful, but talking to one. I grinned as I inflicted my pain on her. She went down and I then called out the other demons that devoured her. Her screams filled my heart

with joy. Let this be a lesson to all you heart filled traitors. I spit on her body as I passed.
Brigit
I felt another presence in stone crest as I was going back to face my roommate. This one was menacing and evil, so evil that the feeling filled me with dread. I hated when I felt this. I felt it the time I put my mom in a coma. I had to find it and kill it now! Since I was part witch I could technically summon a circle. I tried concentrating on it, but all I felt was a drain of energy. Damm it, I thought, damm. What could I do? I tried again, but failed again. I just had too much vampire in me. I sighed and was about to give up when I heard a voice call my name. Brigit, Brigit. I turned around to see a cat in the moonlight. I walked on when I heard the voice again. Brigit, Brigit stop. I stopped turned around to see a familure. I only heard of them. My mom never had one.

She was breath taking and exotic. She had dark skin and long wavy dark hair. She had blue ears and a blue and black tail.

“Come with me, Brigit. I know someone who can help.”
“Who are you? Are you here to help me?” I asked in wonder.
“Yes I am. I’m Sen, Sen. Will you come with me?” she asked.
“Um I don’t know…..” I said nervously. Then I thought about it. What the hell? I’ll take a risk.
“Follow me,” she said. I tried to search her mind, but I couldn’t. I was still unsure….
“You can’t read my mind dear….I am immune. Trust me.”

She said with a smile. My straight face wavered. I might as well I thought.
Kyla

I felt the chilling wind in my face as I waited at the corner of the woods. It was where we most powerful and that’s why I choose this place. Forces could attack at any time now. The events were in place, like a domino falling to tip down the other domino. This started with Emily going into a coma. Now it’s her daughter that will make the domino fall even faster. It was not clear who’d win this, but I was going to stick around to watch. The girl came in my line of sight. God, that girl looked like Emily. She had the same sweet face and same green eyes. She even had the same stature. She walked bravely and kept her head up high. That girl had strength of her mother, but the heart and spirit of her own. There was none like her. I never got to meet her because I was gone before she was born. I did watch her grow from a tiny strand of D.N.A to almost birth. I felt this feeling as if she’d save us someday. Now it was time to find out.

Brigit

I saw the mysterious women look at me with unblinking emerald colored eyes. Her long straight hair blew in the wind. Who was she? I tried to search in her mind, but I couldn’t get through her barriers. I heard a faint whisper. Brigit, Brigit.
“It was you who caused this off balance wasn’t?” I asked.
“I will take part of the blame, but not all of it. Evil is at work. You can feel it….can’t you?”
“Well my lack of training took me so far…I don’t really know how bad it is.”
“Look around you Brigit. Don’t you see the winds blowing and storms brewing? Don’t you feel the chills we get or you see in people’s eyes? Don’t you see the increasing crime rate? Something terrifying is coming.” She stressed. I nodded agreeing with her.

“What can I do?” I asked.

“Make a team,” She said, “tell your friend he can help. Find others. Well need it.” She said desperately.
“You mean tell others I don’t know about that. Why share a secret that is not meant to be shared. I’m nervous….” I had a grimace on my face.
“I’m afraid so. Help me cast a circle. I will show you.”
“I can try, but I’m weak at circles.” I looked unsure about myself.
“Try Brigit try,” Kyla urged.

Kyla
She slowly nodded and tried. Yet she failed. I saw the lines of stress on her face. Why didn’t her mom teach her? I frowned and threw into a bit of my own power and hoped she’d get it. She needed this, like a butterfly growing out and fluttering its wings. She cast a smile circle and I saw a tiny smile grow on her face.
“Now look Brigit. You’ll see the truth.” I saw Brigit’s face go blank. It was the process that watching did it too. Her eyes went completely white. I her heard shriek and cry. Sorry, so sorry.

Brigit
I saw evil spirits destroy everything and these twisted creatures come from the sky and ground. All humans were dead and some of us were dead. I saw my body next to Dylan’s on the pile that some creepy guy with red eyes was spitting on. I saw my mom there too. Her eyes were blood red and she was shrieking. Her hands were thrown in the air and she had on a black dress with tattered lace. Her long hair was tangled in a mess and blowing in the wind. There was another girl there too. She had black hair that was

curly and over grown. She wore a corset and flowing long skirt covered in innocent blood. She had her fangs out and monstrous sliver eyes. She tore of an innocents arm and let the blood drip in

her mouth. Her evil grin grew from the corners of her lips. The sun was fading into the moon and I heard a hideous scream bellowing from the mouths of all of the decrypted people. The nightfall came and it was pitch dark. The wind blew through the town and I could hear the wind echo through the town screaming Brigit, Brigit you failed you failed.

I woke up drenched in sweat, almost crying.
“I caused it…I caused it. They win….the dark wins. My Dylan dead! Every innocent was dead!” I wailed.
“It can be stopped Brigit! Just do what I say! You don’t know me, but we can save what is ours!”
I nodded in agreement, “I’ll do it.”
“Good, get the team…I’ll talk to you then.” The women walked away. The wind was blowing even harder as she left. It almost cried save me, save me.

3-5 more parts coming

Kevin
I entered the town glad to be rid of my past. All my past troubles with my secret was now gone, right? There wasn’t any more half changing for days or changing uncontrollability. The only problem was the wind. It tossed my hair around. It almost whispered another one, another one. I ignored it. For me magic was over and I wanted a normal life. I didn’t want to shape shift I just wanted to be normal. I sighed wondering if I could ever escape this.

Natasha

I was heading down the main rode of stone crest and came to Engle and sons sports. Seeing the cheerleader outfits hurt. I used to be a cheerleader before this happened. I looked at myself with my true reflection. Two long fangs came from the side of my mouth and my eyes turned silver. My hair a golden rod color was out shadowed by the monster in me. I went back to normal starring at myself. A face with blue eyes and a chubbier body with lots of curves was my mask. I could hide who I was from everyone except myself. I was a monster, not by choice by stupidity.

My ex Darren tricked me. I wanted to be like everyone else. He made me swoon and I fell for it. We had been dating a few weeks and we were having a good time. Then one night he told me he had to tell me something. He bit me and I’m here now….I lost everything for it. Now I’m here to escape.

Riley

I saw Maddie as I left stone brook collage. Her long light brown hair and lightly tanned skin reminded me of those days when we’d just talk and talk. The way her body was formed in a lean and few curves body reminded me of the times we snuck into Walter’s pool in sunset. I saw a twinkle in her hazel eye as we past. She turned around and rushed towards me. I could see the struggle of control in her simple face. To not run super-fast towards me must have been hard for her. She hugged me. I patted her back and smiled.

“Hey Riley long time no see. How’ve my favorite werewolf been doing?” she smiled at me that familiar smile. I missed that. I was the only one who could do that really.

Her drunken father gave her reasons not to. I also loved who she accepted me even as she knew I was a werewolf. When we went separate ways it was hard to see her go.

“Hairy as usual, I replied, realizing my joke was awful.

“Bad joke,” she commented.

“Yea I know, but hey I tired. How’ve you been? Anything cool?” I asked.

“Roommate troubles, I have a leech as a roommate.
She’s a blood sucker. God, I have the worst tastes.” She shook her head.
“Maddie you shouldn’t judge she might not be too bad. I mean look at me. I’m a wolf and you think I’m all great. What is so different?” I reasoned as usual she didn’t take to it.
“You’re too soft sometimes riley. I can’t take her, if you can call the thing a girl. She’s a monster.” She scoffed.

I sighed, “I know monsters Maddie. Let me meet her and I’ll see for myself.”
“If you insist……” Maddie grumbled.
“I do insist. Let’s not let stuff like that ruin our chat. Do you want to get something to eat?” I offered trying to change the topic.
“Sure, why is it always food with you wolves?” she teased.
“I don’t know. Well let’s go to my car.” We walked off chatting all the while.

Kyla
I stood there, in the restaurant waiting for them. They were the next piece of the puzzle. The dynamos were falling faster and time was running out. Soon the butterfly would break from its shell and what we did would predict if it flew. I saw them enter the run down restaurant and smiled it was time for me to play. I had already summed my guise and wore it well.
My raven black hair was put in a bun and I had on these awful form fitting clothes that clung to my body. I missed my free flowing dress already.

“Hello may I take your order?” I asked as they sat down. I almost laughed the wolf tried to hide himself, but anyone could see through it. His hairy appearance gave it away and so did his balky build. They had a great connection I could tell. The way they smiled and laughed with each other gave me hope. If I could have one puzzle piece I’d have the other. They ordered and I took it in the back then I waited. Finally she left to go to the restroom and I was free to talk to him. Riley would be more accepting.

Riley
I heard a gust of wind blow through the door almost saying my name. I turned around to see the waitress looking at me. She didn’t look like a waitress now though, her hair was down and she had on a black dress.
“Riley, this is important. When you see Brigit tonight talk to her. Everything’s at stake and a storms blowing more. You need to help it. I know you don’t know me, but trust me.”
“How do you know about Brigit? How do you seem so familiar? What is the storm blowing?” I asked freaked that she knew.

“Use your powers riley. You don’t trust me. You can tell when someone’s lying. Test me.” She suggested.
I did and found she was clean of any lies at the current moment.
“See riley, the storm is danger, grave danger. When she asks you to join say yes. You can save the world. Come meet me by the forest tonight and I’ll show you why you must listen. Bring your friend and Brigit. This can end.” She urged
I nodded shocked. The women turned back into the waitress and handed me the bill. Wow I thought. What was going on?

Brigit
I heard the door open and laughter. Wait was that Madison laughing? The two people came into view. One was my annoyance and pest of a roommate and the other was a stranger. He was a sweet looking boy. He was hairy and tall. He was a bit balky too. I thought he looked nice. There was an odd odor to him that I haven’t smelt before. I knew for a fact he wasn’t human.

“Hello Brigit, I’ve heard a lot about you.” He said as he walked towards me.

“Hi, how much did she tell you?” I asked as my eyes narrowed towards Madison.
“I know but it’s fine. I’m just as bad. I’m a werewolf, but a loner.” He shrugged. I still wasn’t happy with her, but at least he couldn’t judge.
“I’m the same, but I’m only a Halfling. My mom was a witch.” I explained.
“Do you belong to a coven?” He asked.
“Nope, the witch groups are bizarre and the vampire ones drink way too much blood. Why don’t you have a pack?”
“I left. They killed a five year old. They got evil.” I saw him shutter a little. My eyes widened ever so slightly.
“Yea, I know why you shutter. I hate the stuff some of my race does. I know I need to use my fangs or I’ll get sick, but they overkill it.” I shuttered think of the vision of that evil vampire
“Well then why’d I catch you sucking last night.” Madison retorted.
“I have to sometimes. Do you want to know what happens if I can’t get live blood. Don’t be so judging. My mouth will start to

riot and I will grow feeble and weak. My body will start to destroy itself. Soon my mind will stop working properly and I’ll start to go insane. It will shut down within a week of that and my body will die soon after. Now do you see why I must suck blood? You eat meat what’s so different?” I questioned throwing my hand up in the air.
“Well at least meats dead.” She snarled.
“Madison, she isn’t evil.” Riley tried to reason.
“Whatever,” Madison said as she stormed outside. He looked desperate and I told him to go after her. He apologized and took off. Room mating was really a pain. I sighed and plopped on the couch.
Roger
I saw her, my traitor of a daughter, walking hastily down the street. I almost spat on her. She saw me and had this sad but surprised look on her face. That innocence might as well been tossed down the drain because she put my wife, her own mom in a coma. That leech of a girl was almost dead in my eyes.
“Dad,” she whimpered just like that lost puppy that is such a pain to take care of. Seventeen years of my life wasted on taking care of that pest. Who’d she thank us? She did it by putting my wife in a coma.
“You are no daughter of mine. I disowned you when you hurt your own mother. “I snarled. “She was attacking me! She was about to kill me!” she said desperately. I didn’t care though. She
was not mine anymore. I grabbed her hand and sapped the strength from her.
She groaned. I walked away from her limp body and spat on her for my wife.

Brigit
I woke up on the street feeling so weak. I tried to get up, but I had no strength. I dug my phone out of my pocket and I dialed Dylan’s number.
“Help,” I crooked what I could. I felt so weak.
“I’ll be there Brigit….” He comforted.
“Thanks,” I muttered. I was too hurt to tell much of anything. I couldn’t believe my farther did this to me. Last thing I remember is him spiting on me and stalking away.

Dylan
I rushed out the door and teleported to her location. There she was from the distance pale and hurt. She couldn’t even move from the ground. Who did this to her? Why would they harm her? I got closer and saw her up close. I saw fangs, but didn’t care right now. She was hurt. I picked her up and she whispered, “Thanks,” she smiled and I kissed her cheek. I teleported her back to my apartment. On the way I thought of how weak and hurt she was. Poor girl she didn’t deserve this.

I touched her face. While most would be repulsed by a vampire I wasn’t. At least she was better than me. Even when her fangs she was beautiful, and she was still my bestie. I understood that she had to keep it a secret I kept mine a secret too. Not anymore though, not to her. I’d let her know. I saw her flicker her eyes for a moment and smile at me. She muttered, “I love you,” I smiled I knew what she meant. I loved her too.

Brigit
I woke up covered in a blanket. I remembered the smell of the blanket and this place. I looked around to see the familiar sight of Dylan’s house. It had its clean look to it still and still had that feeling of home. I sighed and smiled. I felt the point of my fangs on my gums and quickly retracted them back in. I hope he didn’t see yet. Dylan was sleeping in a chair next to the couch. He looked worn out and had something different that I never felt before with him. He didn’t seem human. Was he something else? I was soon blinded by the realization of what happened. My own father attacked me! I was a mixture of mad and about to cry at the same time.

Seeking comfort I went over to Dylan’s chair and leaned into his chest. Tears flowed down my cheek and I couldn’t stop. He disowned me. He actually said I wasn’t his daughter, and I was almost dead to him. He hit me then drained the energy out of me. He left me there and would’ve let me die!
Dylan woke up his tired eyes flickering.
“Don’t cry Brigit. I’m here for you.” He wiped away my tears and stroked my head. I told him the whole story of how my dad attacked me.
“I lied to you Dylan. I’m sorry.” Regret filled my eyes
“I know you did, but you had too. I know you’re a vampire. I saw it last night. I don’t care. Honestly I don’t. I love you anyways.” He comforted.
“Really, you really don’t care?” I asked. He nodded. I used my power to show him everything.
“Brigit, you are amazing. I know you’re a Halfling, but I could care less. I love my best friend.” He hugged me and said, “Look into me. I want you to know.” I took the gesture and peered into his mind.

I saw a mother with the pregnant body and then Dylan as a kid. I saw his mom cry when he was born and she crying, “You have him in you, the demon in you.” Those voices haunted my head. I saw the scene fade and turn into a different scene. An elderly woman was talking to him.
“I killed someone! I killed someone. I don’t know how. It happened.” The women whispered something and then he cried. “I’m part demon I can’t be!” I saw him get his training to control it. Then I saw how he saw me for the first time beautiful. It made me have an inkling of a smile. I saw all the things we did. I saw he had the same hesitation and feelings I did. It made me almost cry. I thought of how I fought my vampirism and almost drained people. I thought of how I saw him as something I couldn’t ever have. I thought of how I put my mom in a coma. I came back into conscious. I was so breathless I could barely breathe.
“Dylan,” I whispered
“Yes, do you hate me?”
I almost gasped, “No actually more love. I love you Dylan. You’re my best friend and now I know all of you.” I hugged Dylan as tight as I could.

“How can you love a demon?” he asked.
“Dylan you are amazing don’t say different.” I patted his head and we sat there just holding each other.

Kyla
I felt it the dynamos were tipping more and more and the tides were turning. I sighed only parts of the events were coming together. The team wasn’t it place yet and the dark was coming.
Sen appeared and patted my shoulder.
“Master, what do you need?” she asked.
“Find Natasha and Kevin,” I sighed, “we need them,”

“So bring them here then?” she asked.
“Yes bring them here. I’ll get Natasha and Kevin here as well. Then our team is almost done.” I sighed.
“I will get them found then master.” She bowed and vanished. Familiars were a wonder. What would I do without her?

Sen sen
I saw Natasha starring into a window. Why’d she stare into a window of a sports shop? Was she reminiscing on the past? It wasn’t any real matter to me I was on a mission. She blond hair cut in a cute bob and her curves stood out. The wind called her name and she turned around to see me.

*****
Natasha
I saw here and tried to back away.
“No, I won’t get involved in magic again, never!” I exclaimed.
“But you must, my master needs you.” I replied.
“Listen, I don’t know what’s going on nor do I care. You can do it without me. I understand you may be desperate, but I’m not giving in. I’m desperate to stay away from magic. All I want is to be normal.” I explained. She sighed and I returned the favor.

Sen sen
I wished turned teenage vampires weren’t so stubborn. They all wanted to be normal. What happened to wanting to help and embracing your powers like Brigit was trying to do? Well I guess I’d have to take her unwilling.

She’d go kicking and screaming, but hey she wouldn’t come willing. What else could I do?
“Ok then Natasha, you’ll go the hard way.” I sighed. She tried to run, but I froze her in place. I grabbed her shoulder and teleported her to a jail cell where she couldn’t escape. Now off to Kevin
Kevin
I sighed as I tried to control my power, but the claws grew anyway. I sighed frustrated. Why couldn’t I control this? I grew up with this my whole life, but I couldn’t ever control it. Hair grew on my arm and I cried. It couldn’t be controlled. I wished for help, no begged. I heard the whispers of the wind saying my name, Kevin, Kevin, Kevin.

Sen sen
I saw him crying. Poor kid, I understood his issue. At one point I couldn’t control it. Maybe she could help, Kyla helped me. I walked up to him and he didn’t even notice me. I tapped his shoulder.
“Come with me,” I urged, “I can help you.”
“You can’t. I don’t have a purpose. I am useless.”
“You are not. My master will be able to help.” I comforted.
He looked at me with a helpless look. I held his shoulder and teleported him back to the cell to pick up Natasha.

Natasha
I screamed. I wanted out. I wanted out of this trap and life. I used to be a cheerleader, now look. I saw the creepy half cat girl come up. I avoided her glaze and avoided her touch. She sighed and rolled her eyes.
“Look if you want out of here, you’ll come with me.”
I sighed and decided to let her touch me. At least I wouldn’t be in a cell.

Kyla
I saw them turn on the corner. Finally the pieces were coming together like the puzzle not fully complete. I saw Natasha reluctant to see the truth and embrace herself. I saw Kevin struggle with a power he couldn’t control. Was I the monster to make them fight? It was needed yes, but had an inkling of wrong in it.
“Kevin you made it. I can help you, but I need you to help me. Natasha I see you’re here unwilling. You’ll change your mind.” I welcomed them with open arms. Kevin gave me a pathetic look of a hurt puppy. He needed help. I could help. As for Natasha I hoped I could get her to accept herself.
I took Kevin aside and whispered to him, “tides are turning. Some are gaining some are struggling. Let me help. I can find the source of your problem and fix it.”

“I want the help and I know what you’re getting at. I do want to help.” He said bravely
“I can help you then. Come with me. I know two people who can help.” I gestured to the street by us and we walked down the lonely rode.

Aran
I heard the knock on my door. There stood Kyla an old friend. I meant her in India when she wanted to help me get on my feet and train me to be who I am today. I saw a poor boy with her. I could tell he couldn’t have control over his power.
“Kyla, welcome back, when did you get into town?” I looked shocked to see her. It had been since I was 5 and she brought me here.
“Oh a few days ago I have been very busy. I need your help my old friend.” She said, “May I come in?”
“Sure. What do you need?” I asked.
“This shape shifter has something wrong. He can’t control his powers. Can you help? I know you’ve been in a similar position where you couldn’t control it.” She replied concerned.
“I can try to find the cause. My sister will have to heal him though.

She can be unruly and reluctant, but I hope I can convince her to help.” A frown appeared on my face, I was uncertain to whether she’d be willing to assist me. To be honest I didn’t really think she would though. My sister had a bit of an unreasonable and uncompassionate streak at times. I lead them to a very cozy yet equally hideous couch. Kyla sat down ever so gracefully while the shifter plopped down. They waited as my sister came out.

Hansa
I scowled when I saw them. Really, more people at late night. I sighed. Hello people I’m trying to sleep. I stormed out to the front room. This was starting to tick me off.
“What is going on? Must you have guests at late hours every night! Must you! Come on Aran I want sleep! You know I’m a light sleeper for God’s sake! Yet you insist on this! Aran I am sick of this! Sick of it!” I ranted.
“Be reasonable Hansa. He needs help. I’ve been trying to locate the cause. They will leave if you can cure him." He reasoned
“Fine, I’ll do it! By the way I’m sleeping up stairs from now on! I said exasperated.
“Whatever you say Hansa, I’ll move you tomorrow.” He sighed. Was I really that much of a pest?

Aran
I sighed frustrated with Hansa, but I couldn’t let her distract me. I tried to find the source of his power. I found it and then tried to see what was wrong. I dug into his mind and found it. One part of his brain was out of whack. I told Hansa what was wrong and she sighed. “Things I do for my brother”
I sighed just as much. Why did she have to be so stubborn? She concentrated on Kevin. Kevin’s worry had been taken away from him
Brigit
I smiled. I was with my bestie and he finally knew. I looked in the mirror and saw my hair was a wreak. I quickly brushed my fingers through it. I sighed and thought I look like a wreak. Wait why did I care? He’s my best friend it’s not like I have feelings for him. Just because he knew about all of me didn’t change it, but it feels so nice when he held me, so nice when he hugged me, and so nice when he came for me. Part of me was confused. Nothing changed right?

Aran
I looked over at Kyla. I had to know what she was doing. Kevin had crashed on the couch and Hansa was in her room. The cost was clear.
“Kyla what are you planning? Brigit came to me with this feeling she had. She said something dark was coming. Was she right? Is that why you came?” I asked hoping she’d say no.
“Yes, she was right and that is why I’m here. Aran the butterfly effect is happening. The events are toppling on each other. It is a race that must be won or everyone in this town will die and topple down. A storm is rising.” She gave me a solemn look. Terror grew in my eyes. I’ve never been a fighter. Now I might have to be. I don’t have the experience for that.
“I know you are thinking you can’t help, but you can. I need someone who can tell a person’s powers and see how powerful it is.” She urged. I gave up. She’d rope me into somehow.
I sighed and agreed. She left giving me a hug and a smile. I really did miss her. I was glad she was here.

Riley
It had been a few days and no reply from Maddie. I was about ready to cry. I just got here back and now she was gone. Why do I always screw up? I sighed when my phone rang.
“Hey I know I ruined everything, but I know where she is.” Brigit said
“No you didn’t she acted out…where is she?” I sighed more, but I was a bit hopeful.
“I read her mind. She is at the park sitting on a bench by some fountain.” She replied
“Thanks,” I said as I hung up the phone and rushed over to a place I knew well……

Madison
I threw a coin and made a wish. I wished things could be simpler. I wished vampires didn’t exist and put me in a tough position. I looked at my phone about to call him, but I couldn’t. I sighed and cried. Did I ruin it? That’s when I felt a tap on my shoulder and I turned around. I smiled to see him standing there.
“Riley, I’m sorry.” I apologized.
“I am too.” He looked at me with those sweet eyes.
We sat and talked. I was glad I had him…….

Dylan
I was still shocked over everything, but it made so much sense at the same time. Finally I could let my feeling fly free. I had restrained them for years. It was impossible then, but now it wasn’t. We had more important matters though. She told me all about the dark force taking over and I wanted to help. Maybe this could redeem myself for being half demon. Above that it was the right thing to do and I didn’t want to be like my father who used my mother. I sighed a bit nervous. I always hid myself before this. Would they judge? At least I knew Brigit would have my back. She’d defend me with her whole heart that’s what besties were for…..

Madison
After much convincing by Riley I decided to go to the meeting with him. Why the hell not? It’s not like I’d join or anything. I’d do it to please him. I slipped on my coat and headed out the door. It was odd, not having the leech here, but it was nice. I stepped outside to feel the wind blowing in my face.
Kyla
I saw all seven of the team standing in front of me. I was glad I roped aran into this. He would be a great help in such a grave manner. I looked at everyone. Some people had different posture than the others.

Madison looked indifferent. I’d have to convince her. Riley looked excited to help. Dylan looked nervous and Brigit was being there for him and the cause. Natasha looked angry and frustrated. Aran was anticipating and worrying. Kevin looked relived. I looked at the scene surrounding us. The moon was shining like the hope that was in my hands. I recalled a prophecy I heard as a kid.
7 will come
To save us all
If they don’t
We will fall
A circle will form
Under the glistering moon
Fates loom intertwined
Under the midnight sky
4 will come
To hunt us all
And one of us will die
Leaving stands untied
I looked around and wondered who would die. I couldn’t tell them about it. They’d all leave. They couldn’t leave or the dynamos would tip in the wrong direction.
“Well hello everyone. I know some of you aren’t sure why you are here, so I will show you. It is crucial that you stay. We will need all of you. First before we do anything I have to show you something. Brigit can you send the images you were shown?” I asked.
She nodded looking insecure and a bit sad. I saw her face turn to horror as she had to see those images again.
Natasha
I didn’t want to see what I was seeing. Our town was being destroyed and a breeding ground for evil. I saw everyone dead. My friends that I had recently meant were in that pile. God, I had to help.

Madison
I shuttered as the image of crazed and evil women filled my mind. One woman in a corset was letting the blood drip from an arm she held. She shrieked and I shivered. Did I want this? I didn’t, but I wasn’t strong enough. Yet then again I had to help now. Riley was in that pile. If I could just save him, I’d be happy.
Kyla
The looks on the faces of all these young people made me troubled and concerned. That was the end of any comfort or false insecurities they possibly had. They truth they saw was falling to the ground, like glass shattering as it falls. They looked at me with the will to fight in their eyes and a minuet burst of hope exploded in my heart.
“What do we do?” Dylan asked, his grave eyes staring right into my soul.
“Dylan, we fight. The butterfly effect is happening. The dynamos are falling. It is simple we do what has to get done.” I replied.
They all nodded and looked at each other.
“We’re ready to help.” said Brigit.
“Good, we all need you. Aran please step forward.” I requested.

Aran
I stepped up and looked at the crowd. There was so much potential in these people. I could feel over flow of power. I didn’t know where to start…..
“Well to start with I can access powers. I can tell you what it is or how strong it is. My ability allows me to disable powers and borrow a power as long as I wish. I can feel balances of powers and how it rises or falls.” I looked around for support. Kyla gave me a reassuring look.
“I am going to test your powers individually and see how strong they are. I usually do it on a scale of one to five. Natasha you are first.” I beckoned for her to follow me.
Natasha
I was nervous. I didn’t know if I even had a power besides the normal vampire powers. I tensed up and sighed.
“Do you have powers?” he asked.
“I don’t really know.” I replied.
He sighed and said, “Well I guess I test you for that too. What makes you angry?”

“My ex,” I said, getting angry even thinking about his name.
“Focus only on him,” he instructed. I did and an electrifying jolt shot through my hands. I looked bewildered. Did I just do that?
“Not bad, not bad. Your power level there was a three point five on my scale. I sensed your powers and you can also steal a power for a short time period. I’m impressed. Don’t hide anymore Natasha, you have awesome gifts.” He patted my back then told me to call Madison in.
Aran
“Listen Aran or whoever you are, I know my powers I’m super-fast. Yea, I’m good I know it.”
I rolled my eyes at her cockiness. “Well you can also travel through time and slow time. Did you know that?”
“Hmm really? Well just more awesomeness on my part then. What’s my power rating?’ She asked.
“Four,” I replied, sighing. I felt like she’d be a pain for me.
She walked away smiling. I heard her call her friend Riley in.
Riley
“Your girl’s a hand full, you know that right?” I asked half joking, but half seriously.

“Yea, I know, so what the news?”
I told him that he could copy anything he saw, he has a photographic memory, and he can sense the truth. His power was a four star
I called in Kevin and told him he could control the weather. He seemed pleased when I told him it was a three star.
Then Brigit was next, but she was Kyla’s I accessed her power and told her it was a five and a third star, which was great. I was impressed that she could control mind powers, specifically mild mind control, illusions, telekinesis, and telepathic. She could also control ice and fire I like how she could also summon. She was a power house.
Dylan was powerful as well. He had the same power level as Brigit. Yet his powers were different. He could manipulate energy and emotions. He could teleport, but that wasn’t special for a part demon.
I sighed looking at all the work I did. We had so much talent in this small team. I looked towards Kyla and we walked towards the wind…the prophecies were coming true and coming into full circle. We looked at each other again and smiled letting the wind blow in our hair.

Brigit
We were walking home when he stopped me under the moonlight. For a moment we were silent.
“Ever since I found out about you it’s been different, from the start I thought I couldn’t have you in any way more than a friend. Yet now I can. I am a bit scared Brigit. I don’t want to lose you, but if I hold back I could lose you just the same. Brigit I’ve always had feelings for you, always. Now let me ask this, do you feel the same?” he asked, his wonderful eyes going right through my physical being to my heart. I was breathless. What do I say to this?
“I do Dylan; do you really want me though?” I asked.
He laughed a little and said, “Absolutely,”
I smiled and hugged him tight. He kissed me. Feeling rushed through me of joy and happiness. I smiled and followed his lips letting him lead. I sighed. He smiled at me and we walked off towards his apartment hand in hand.
Kyla
“Aran why did you test Natasha differently than the others?” I asked.
“How’d you know I did?” he answered with a question.
“That’s for me to know Aran, but why?”
He smiled and sighed, “To show her she isn’t useless,”
I smiled at his reasons as the wind blew, practically shouting for joy.
Dylan
There I was sitting there with my girl lying on my lap. The last month had passed so fast. I had gotten a kiss and joined a team that would beat an evil force. Training was already starting. I still remembered the look of surprise on my face when Kyla summoned that half demon spirit. The spirit followed her commands like a puppet. He taught me so much already. He showed me how I can make people do my will by just manipulating their emotions. He showed me how I could create shields out of energy. I was becoming who I was meant to be, a warrior.
Brigit
I woke up in Dylan’s lap. I sighed knowing I had to get up. Kyla wanted to train early this morning. I made sure I didn’t wake him by getting up ever so slowly. The last month had taught me a lot. I enhanced my vampire abilities by learning from an ancestor that started the legends. Controlling the weather was something I could do now. I could also control animals.

I stepped outside in the chilly air and walked towards the woods. Kyla was waiting there with her head facing the forest.
I stood there for a few minutes till she saw me. She beckoned for me to come, so I did.
“Today you will learn how to cast a proper circle. Join hands with me, my sister in heritage.”
I joined hands and felt a rush of power go over me. The wind shouted my name over and over.
“Those are spirits aren’t they?” I asked.
“Yes they are. I proud you figured it out.” She smiled.
“It wasn’t hard. Now how do I cast this?” I asked.
“Just let the power run through your body….control it. Tell it what to do over and over.” She instructed.
“what do I tell it to do?” I asked.
“Make a ring of fire….” She smiled.
I concentrated and got a small flame, but it went out. I tried again inserting all my energy into the blast and got small flames. I concentrated even more and controlled the flow till I got a steady ring. I couldn’t help it. I shouted for joy. I felt the wind rejoice too, showering its cold breeze over me. Even Kyla rejoiced. Finally I could do what my mother never taught. I felt the wind spirits follow me home happy and full of hope.
Natasha
My training was going well. I had learned to control everything. I was finally realizing who I was. I was me and I was finally free. I was me and powerful. I was me for the crazy girl I was. For my faults and failures I was me.
Kyla
I was proud of my students. They were passing my expectations. Seeing the joy on Brigit’s face said a lot. Seeing the joy in Natasha’s new self gave me hope. The hope burned like a candle, flickering in the night. One piece stood out though that I needed. I needed Emily, Brigit’s mom. She used to be a treasured friend and a powerful witch. We had to free her. I had already asked Brigit and her eyes lit up. All we needed to do was free her. We are going tonight to free her. The demon inside her should be gone and she will help us.
Brigit
We were standing in the hospital room. My mom was lying in her bed with the heart monitor beating. Dylan held my hand and I was gripping his. He winched a little. Sorry I thought. He gave me a look that said it is ok. I sighed and Kyla and I held hands. We chanted as the power flowed through us. Open her eyes. Open them wide. Let the power flowing through us fill her spirit and cause her to rise. We chanted that over and over till we saw her eyes flicker. We let the power go. Her eyes opened and she moved towards us. We didn’t see her eye color till she touched me and snarled, “Brigit my only daughter, you put me here. Yet you saved me just the same. Now I’m released. You did well to put me into that coma, I thank you anyway.” She smiled evilly. Her red eyes bore into me. She tried to touch my skin. Kyla slapped her away from me and my mom hissed. My mom tried again and this time touched my cross. I was glad when it burnt her because it showed even though I wasn’t human he still protected me. God was merciful. She then shrunk away and ran from the room. She called on air to make her fall gently out the window. We all gasped in shock and surprise. You could see flames rising up the window. I started to cry. I lost my mom for the second time. Kyla had tears in her eyes too.
She sighed, “There goes my best friend. There goes your mom.” We left the scene with saddened hearts. Dylan let me cry on his shoulder on the car ride home.

Dylan
The next few days were hectic. We were trying to find Emily, while my girl was still saddened. We saw incidences of fires and ice storms. We saw in newspaper headlines like havoc and chaos and fire strikes again. We sighed. Our night searches were unproductive. We were going to try again. Brigit and I were working as a team. We left the apartment at eight o clock. The night wind practically wailed.
Karen
I saw my target walking down the road with a girl holding his hand. I quickly went over his profile in my head. He’s a half demon that can manipulate matter and control moods. The answer to killing him was simple, surprise him. I pulled by my compound bow and followed my target. I put the string to the corner of my mouth and released my shot when I thought I was ready. Just as I released my mind wandered. I sighed knowing I missed a little. I needed to hit the heart, but I didn’t. Hopefully it got the job done. The girl next to him looked around and then she stood still. I had a sinking feeling she knew where I was. I dashed off hoping I got away. She sent a thought that screamed, “I will find you!”

thanks. i have actually edied this quite a bit since i posted this. at least you commented.

None0 BRONZE said...
None0 BRONZE, Bellevue, Washington

"Believe in the ideal, not the idol." - Serra

I did a quick skim-read of your book, so this may not apply to everything. Your characters are very well-developed, and the plot seems intriguing, but I think your weakness is in the setting. When I read, I can't really picture any sort of place in my head where this story might take place. I know description of the setting takes away from some of the plot, but so far, the novel seems more focused on just an exchange of dialogue (which feels somewhat rushed, but that could just be me skim reading). Anyways, work on your exposition and transitory scenes. Sorry if I was too critical. I'm still new at this.