The Scientific Journey | Teen Ink

The Scientific Journey

By Taylor Audette, Port Coquitlam, Other
Taylor Audette, Port Coquitlam, Other

Hi, my name is Jackson. The school I go to is Jasper Park Canada environmental school. The school is a tall building that has two floors. One floor is for the elementary side of the school and the second floor is for the middle school kids. In the school there are one room per grade. Each room has a window and has a view so they can look outside and open the window and get some fresh air to come through. This school has about 560 students. This school is located in my neighborhood. I live in a brown house with my mom, my dad, brother and sister. In my room I have a laptop, a PlayStation 3, a TV, and a pet turtle. My mom and dad’s room is two rooms away from mine. In my brothers room he has an Xbox, a TV, some art materials and a lot of Lego. In my sisters room she has a laptop, a TV and a lot of books because she likes to read a lot. The pet that we have at home is a golden retriever. We play with the dog a lot. We also take it on walks every day. The center has many wonders in it because it is near where some of the animals live. The one thing I really like to do is relax because that is where I don’t focus on my homework for most of the time. Sometimes I do homework very quickly because my family goes out for dinner some times. Most of the time I do my homework right away when I get home until I finish it. The one thing I like about living here is the wildlife because it is so peaceful. I also like that my family sometimes comes and helps at the wildlife preservation center. In the center people take care of sick wild animals in our area. Once the animals are better they get brought back to the natural habitat in Jasper Park. Inside the center there are more than fifteen rooms for the animals to be in. there is also a nursery room, a storage room, and a free roam room. In the rooms where the animals live it smells like the smell of herds of wild animals living in peace. The room is to especially look like the habitat that the animals came from so it can allow them to feel like they are at home. There is a lot of space in each room. In the rooms there are food dispensers for the animals for when they get hungry the button on the floor scans the animal that touches it and tells what food they want. Although it sometimes gets stinky because we have to clean the rooms every two months. In the nursery room that is where all the baby animals spend time with my mom and sister so they can relax and play. When looking around in the nursery room there are small beds for the baby animals to sleep on and there is also a toy box for the animals to have their toys in and there are five chairs just in case if anyone wants to sit down. In the storage room we have all the tools in. It is the place that my family has a very hard time to move around in because of all the tools. It smells really bad. It smells like that people need to put in air freshener. In the free roam room all animals can come in and play with each other. It even looks like all the rooms had combined because there are a few doors for each room so the animals can go through. The animals can basically do whatever they want and they also get a chance to relax. I had done many things to help my parents but it sometimes gets out of hand because my brother and sister sometimes argue. The things I help do in the afternoon at the center is feeding and playing with the animals. Behind the center there are a few areas that nobody wants to go look around in except for my family. Those three areas are just like forests because the center is near some of the wild animals habitats. We sometimes go in those areas just to check for any sick or injured or sick wild animals. Well life is doing okay so far. I really enjoy helping out at the center. It is the only place I can keep my mind off of school. The one thing I really want to do when I grow up is to work at the center. I was just in the middle of cleaning up before I went home, when suddenly, someone comes in. That person is none other than my friend Sophie. Sophie and I are best friends ever since we met during Kindergarten. I met Sophie on September 15th. We were just in the middle of spelling class and then I saw her. Then I came and talked to her. After that we had been doing many things together.
“Hey Sophie what is going on? “ I asked while cleaning up my things in the center.
“Oh I was just coming in to say hi and to see the animals.” Sophie replied walking in the front door, “You know, it was very nice of your parents to start taking care of the sick animals. I bet your parents really enjoy doing that.”
“Yeah, they really do like helping the animals feel better and making sure that the center feels like home to the animals.” I replied.
We started the center in 2003. We started this when so many sick animals started to come throughout the neighborhood. The mayor decided that we should start to take care of the wild animals’ then send them back to the wild. So we built the building and started that business. Ever since then, we have been bringing in little and sick wild animals. During that time the animals enjoyed coming to play with us and sometimes they like to pile over top of me because they really like me when I am around. The animals are very hyper most of the day because I see them run all over the place. The baby animals especially. The baby animals are always so full of energy. They even tried to do everything could and wanted to do to get my families attention. We always seem to fall for it because the animals are so cute.
“Well I have to go Jackson; I need to finish up on some of the homework that our teacher assigned today.”
“Okay Sophie, bye!” I said.
See you later Jackson!” Sophie replied heading home.
Some days Sophie comes to visit and helps out with the animals. She just really cares for those sick animals. On Sunday we both went to church, and then she invited me and my other siblings to come along to her place just to hang out. She really enjoys our company, and whenever she needs something I always volunteer to help out. The one thing I’ve noticed every time when she comes the animals come up to her and the all want to get played with. So I think whens she grows up she will either become an artist or working at the center. She is a really good friend. Without her being around at the center would be very sad for the animals because they really like to be around her. Although even when she is not around the animals know that people still care for them. The animals always play around and sometimes after we play with them they obey us without questions. Although that usually means that they are starting to mature which I find very amazing.

Many things had happened later in the month. My class even went on a field trip to the center. On that day I was allowed to help my parents because they own the building. After that it was doing regular school things like math, science, English, Physical education, wood working, cooking, excetera I had been doing really well in school but one day things at school were just at a little bit rushed.
It had been a great day, Joe and I tied in the fair. We had been through so much for the past few days. We even went out for ice cream. We had done many things for the fair. We had prepared, found pieces of our project and put it together. I remember the day when this whole thing started.

One day in the middle of the school day, I was just in the middle of eating lunch when someone sneaked up behind me and giggled.
My lunch was so good. In my lunch bag I had a ham and cheese sandwich, an orange, yogurt, and a nut bar. I have this almost every time at lunch. I ate in the lunch room which can fit almost every student in it. It smelt so good in there because of all the food being cooked.

“Boo!” Sophie yelled as she came up behind me.
Sophie is one very sneaky girl. She is always light on her feet without making any noise, although sometimes she gives a hint by giving a tiny little giggle. That is not the only thing she is good at. She is also very skilled at drawing. She is the one person I know that really likes to draw.
“Ahh!” I yelled after getting sneaked up on. I almost barfed up my entire lunch because she scared me like crazy. So I swallowed it and then Sophie gave me a glass of water. Then had a sip of water just to get rid of the mucus in my throat. I had a very bad taste in my mouth for the rest of the day. I didn’t realize it was Sophie until she giggled because she is the only one that gives me a hint when she tries to scare me.
Then a few more of my friends came up to see what I was up to. Those three people are Michael, Sarah, and Ben. Those three are very good friends of mine. When things get into trouble they always back me up. Even when things are getting harder every time they always manage to get through it. They are some of the best people I know because they are always so confident in each other.
“Hey Guys!” I said excitedly.
“Hey Jackson!” they said.
Those three were my best friends ever since I met them in grade 3. Those three were always so kind to me. When things had gotten rough, they always stood up for me. I met them when I was being bullied by some grade fives. They came and stood up, ever since then we were really great friends. Michael’s personality is very kind, hilarious, and smart. Sarah is a very sweet, smart and very fast. Ben is the calm, happy, and idea making kind of guy. Sometimes after they get soda they do the craziest things. After they drink pop, Sarah gets dizzy, Ben gets crazy, and Michael falls and stays there so we have to drag them in a wheel barrel. Sometimes that never gets old because it still happens to them. I don’t really understand why that even happens to them is there something they add in the drink to make them dizzy nor does it just happen automatically. It still never gets old when that happens because it is funny most of the time. But sometimes it just gets way out of hand because sometimes when that happens to them, I have to drag them around for a long time. Until they get back to the way the originally were.
“How are you?” Sophie asked.
“I am doing really good today, thanks for asking,” I replied. “What’s going on?
“The Science fair is five days away,” Michael replied.
“Oh I completely forgot, I said. “Have you guys figured out who you were going to partner up with?”
Those three are very good at remembering things because I have a hard time trying to remember things in school. They basically try to help me get back on track. I am still really glad that I have friends like those three. Sometimes when things get in trouble for them I also back them up because should always return the favor. Those three are very smart. Sometimes when I get stuck on some questions that I have to answer for homework, they just help me right away. They always seem to have an answer for everything that they are doing. I am really happy that they are around because without them I wouldn’t be stuck on doing many things in school. I am very thankful for them being around to help me out.
“Michael, Sarah, and Ben are partnering up,” Sophie replied.
“So do you want to partner up with me?” I asked immediately.
“Sure!” Sophie said excitedly.
Then out of the blue Joe and his friends show up and said
“Hey you little rat it is your turn to get shoved into a locker today.”
“That’s right!” One of Joe’s friends said.
That was Joe and his gang. Those guys aren’t always nice to people, especially towards me. It’s like we have some sort of rivalry that I don’t know about. Joe wasn’t the kind of guy that you always could be friends with. The one thing I really don’t like is that he put people that are smaller than him in to lockers. Joe’s gang is made up of six members. There is Joe, Kate, Zane, Jade, and Viper. Joe was once a really good kid until he started to get bullied. Kate is Joe’s girlfriend. Zane is a friend of my older brother but sometimes he gives me a noogie just for fun. Zane doesn’t really like to hurt anyone; he just fell in with the wrong crowd. Jade is Zane’s girlfriend. Jade was only here just because her parents wanted her to learn things nicely instead of goofing off, But after she met Zane she has been a lot more calm. Then there is Viper. She is a very different story. She came to this school so she can learn the proper way of doing things because back where she came from a whole lot of people caused havoc. So she is kind of reckless. Those guys I thought they are totally meant to be together. Although they get into a lot of trouble because they always get caught. They really don’t like to lose because when they lose at anything they always go into a rage quit and start to do something that affects others. I really don’t like it when they do that towards people. It is just plain rude and hurtful towards the students. The one thing that you should never do is make fun of them because if you do they will go after you. Once they get you are totally going to get hurt.
He then shoved me into one of the lockers and left me there, It felt like I was stuck between a rock and a hard place. It was very cold inside the locker. It felt very hard inside of the locker. I felt like I could barely move. There were also school supplies in the locker so I was very squished. I felt like I was a giant stuffed animal being squished until I was ready to explode. I felt if nobody comes to open up the locker soon they will forget about me and leave me in there for the rest of my life. I thought that would be very scary if that were to happen. During the rest of lunch I heard many people passed by . I couldn’t really hear that clearly on what they were saying because they weren’t that close. I even heard Michael, Ben and Sarah pass by, but they couldn’t hear me. Then I heard Sophie come by while talking with her friends. So I tried to shake around in the locker and say her name. Then she came up, and she noticed that it was me so she told me that she was going to go get the janitor, and she did. The only way she could have figured it out is by looking through the gaps that the locker had and hear my voice projecting out the locker. After lunch the janitor opened up the locker.
This started while I was in grade 4. It was just in the middle of recess when a few of the grade 8 started shoving him into lockers. The principle tried to stop it but it continued. Then he realized that if he was to be cool towards the grade eights he would do the same thing. Then he has being doing it to the younger students ever since. I even tried to calm him down but I wasn’t able to reach him. Every time after that I tried to calm him down but he doesn’t listen and shove me into many things just to hurt me. It basically happens to anyone.
It was very painful. I felt like I had broken my right shoulder, my left leg and my neck bone because the locker was really crowded with a lot of school supplies in it. I am also afraid of the dark so I was basically thought I was going to be left alone for a very long time.
“What are doing in that locker Jackson?” He asked.
“I was shoved into the locker,” I replied.
“You know you should really show how much you feel when he does those things to other people by beating him at the science fair that is coming up.” Then he pulled me out. Once I got out I had a very bad pain in the shoulder and in my back.
“I guess that could work I said.” Then I went home to start thinking of ideas for what Sophie and can do for the science fair. I even had to get bandaged up because I hurt myself in the locker. When I came home I told my parents and they bandaged me up. I had to bandage up my shoulder because that is where it hurt the most. Then I had to work on my homework and eat dinner. I really was not enjoying myself after being stuck in a locker for an hour. Then I went up to my room to think of some ideas on what Sophie and I could do for the fair.
My family were great at doing many things like writing books, singing, and medicine and auto mechanics. They even do many other things. During that time my brother and sister always argued, and they wouldn’t stop until one of my parents ended it. My family helped me in many things like getting better at sports, helping me with studying, and helping me with homework. After they help me with things I always help them back. I even buy snacks for them for when we go to a store a restaurant like McDonald’s because I offer them if they to get them anything that they need.
Once I had figured out what we were going to do I called Sophie on the phone.
“Hey Sophie I’ve figured out what we could do for the science fair,” I said happily.
“That’s great!” She said surprisingly.
“For the science fair we could make a robot that can help people do anything that they have a hard time with, it could even help with homework,” I said.
“Or maybe we can do a lab on how the water cycle works,” Sophie said.
By the sound of her voice she knew that my ideas weren’t always the smartest, so she always thinks of better ideas. In my class I am not that much on the smart side of things. Sophie is one the few smartest people I know.
“I think your ideas better Sophie because my ideas are always complicated. Alright, tomorrow we need to start our research okay,” I said.

The next day we had to sign a form before we can participate. Everyone had handed in their form after class started and then we had gotten an hour and a half to get our research done for our projects. We even got to start forming our projects too. The notes weren’t always easy to get we even had to look through our science textbooks and some websites. Then we managed to get it done.
“Finished!” I said.
“Same here,” Sophie said.
After getting all those notes done, Sophie and I felt really relieved that we managed to get our notes finished in time. Then we started to figure out what we needed for the lab we were doing.
“What do you think we need for this lab?” I asked curiously.
“We need a jug of water an ice cube tray and a lamp that can melt the ice,” Sophie replied.
“Okay I will get the first few things and you get the last of them okay Sophie,” I said.
“Okay,” she replied.
“Hey Sophie look there is Michael, Sarah, and Ben. Hey you guys. ” I said to them.
“Hey Sophie and Jackson,” Michael replied.
“What are you guys up to?” I asked in suspicion.
“We are working on our science fair project,” Sarah replied.
By the sound of their voices it sounded like they are nearly done.
“How far are you guys on your project?” Ben asked.
“We are on the note, and project part gathering,” Sophie replied.
“Well we better get going Sophie,” I said.
“Yes we should, see you guys later,” Sophie said.

On the way home we met up with Michael, Ben, and Sarah again so we went out for McDonalds for a snack. I had to buy the food because the others didn’t bring any money. I had a chicken snack wrap because I was barely hungry. Sophie had a milkshake and had two straws so she shared it with me. Michael had a double cheese burger, Sarah had chicken nuggets, and Ben had a Mc chicken. Then we said goodbye to those three then continued on home. After that was over Sophie and I continued on our way back to my place. We even got to drop by the center to see how the animals were feeling. Once we dropped by the center I had to feed the animals because it was dinner time for them.
“Well once, you are done Jackson we should get going back to your place.”
“Almost done Sophie. Okay let’s get going.” Then we continued on our way back to my place.
Once we had gotten back to my place we tried to remember on what we learned about in the water cycle. “Parts of the water cycle are: evaporation: which is when water evaporates, condensation: is when the evaporated water turns in to water, Then freezing point: which is when the water becomes frozen like an ice cube,” I said trying to remember.
“Yes that are some parts, but you forgot some of them,” Sophie replied. “The other ones are: solidification: which is when evaporated water becomes a solid, and melting: which is when an ice cube turns into water,” she said.
I am so glad that I learned about this stuff during sixth grade, because if I didn’t I would be far behind in science class. I really enjoy science class because it is one of my favourite things to learn.
“Okay lets test some of this out Sophie.”
“Okay Jackson,” she replied.
So we looked in the fridge and we found an ice cube and some tiny bits of ice that formed because of the cold air inside the freezer. Then we tested to see if that works and it did. We were so glad that we were able to successfully test our experiment. Then Sophie had to get back to her place because she didn’t want to be late for dinner. After dinner Sophie, my family and I went on a little trip to one part of the neighborhood that nobody even goes to. The place we went to is where the parents of the sick animals live. We go there five to ten times a year just to see how they are doing. So we stayed there in a cabin overnight then we went to school the next day. During that night we checked if the parents of the sick animals were fed. Then we checked if they felt sick. I also had a very good dream that night. During that dream the animals were reuniting and we celebrated on how accomplished we were after the animals left before new animals arrived. I thought that was a really nice dream because it was so calm and peaceful. I kept thinking about it overnight. The next day our teacher came to where were working and was amazed on how good we did for our theory. She told us that we were doing an excellent job and told us to continue on with our work. Then we started to think about what we would need to assemble our project.
“Wow! Only two days left before the science fair.” Sophie said.
“Yep!, we should start assembling our project now.” I replied.
“Okay so what do we need a device that heats the ice cube up in order to melt the ice, the freezer and we need to get a presentation slide that shows how the water cycle works,” Sophie said.
Then after school we hanged over at Sophie’s place. We did many things like draw, watch movies and have dinner. We also had a conversation on what we should do if the project was broken. Then we had to do some Arron’s for each of our parents so we went into the city and bought what they wanted us to get in the store. The things we needed to get were chicken, cheese, orange juice, milk, lettuce, chipotle sauce and wraps. We needed to get these supplies because we were going to have dinner at Sophie’s house and so we did. After we got the groceries, I did one quick stop to the jewelry store. At the store I bought her favorite necklace that was in the glass table. Then I put it in one place in my backpack that nobody even knows what I keep in it. Then we arrived back home and then we were ready to assemble our project the next day, and so we did. During that day everything was so calm. There was nothing bad about that day even Sophie was surprised. We did many things during school that day. We did a math test, we played basketball and volley ball, we did a cooking class and we had a lesson in science class about how water can help produce electricity. That lesson was really cool because I didn’t even know that water was very helpful in the production of hydroelectricity. During science we also had to continue working on our projects so we could be prepared on the teacher said that we were doing tomorrow. The teacher told us tomorrow we would to be working on the finishing touches to our projects and we were also going to have a science quiz on chapter eight. So we worked on our project then our teacher gave us some time to study before tomorrow’s quiz.

Once we had gotten our project done we left it in the class room like our teacher told us to. On the way home Sophie was told by her parents that my family was coming over to have dinner. She told me that was a good thing because we really liked to hang out. When we were almost at Sophie’s house, Sophie and I decided to go exploring for half an hour because we had more than 2 hours to spare. So we went and looked around in the forest part of the neighborhood. While exploring in the forest we found a couple of species of animal that has the lowest population in this area and it was injured along with some of its friends to. So we put them in a wagon and brought them back to the center so my parents could take care of them. After we were finished exploring we went straight to Sophie’s house. Before dinner started Sophie and I were working on homework that was assigned to us by our math, English and social studies teacher. Then Sophie’s parents started to yell and said “You two it is time for dinner.” So then we quickly ran down to the table and waited for the others. During dinner time we had Burgers which I helped Sophie’s dad cook. They were so delicious, that even Sophie thought so too. After dinner Sophie and I hanged out in her room. Then I gave her the necklace.
“Wow Jackson, that is so beautiful. Thank you.”
“You’re welcome Sophie!”
“When did you get it Jackson?” Sophie asked very surprised.
“I got it yesterday after we did the Arron’s that are parents told us to do.” I replied.
“Once again Jackson, thank you so much!” Sophie said happily jumping with joy.
Then we talked about many things, like how the animals at the center were doing. We also talked about how the water cycle affects the animals. Then we talked about on what we will do tomorrow after school on our way home. We had a really good time but then it was time for me to go home so we said our good byes and I left Sophie’s house.
Before we arrived at home my parents told me to go check up on the animals and turn the lights off so the animals could get some sleep. So I did what they told me to do and then I continued on home. Once my family and I were back home we all just got ready for bed then went to sleep. I saw the look on every one of my family member’s faces and they all looked like they were just ready to fall down on something and fall asleep.

When I was at home sleeping I had the strangest dream. The dream took place I the center and everything was totally fine but then it was destroyed after something like lightning hit it and it burned into flames. When I came out of the dream I almost felt like I couldn’t breathe. I didn’t enjoy that dream at all because it was very scary. After the dream I got out of bed and got ready for school. Then before I arrived to school I talked to Sophie about it on the phone the next day.
The next day we came into the classroom and our project was totally destroyed. It was totally smashed to pieces. We both got so angry and shocked. Most of our class told us to calm down and said that you could probably fix it and that gave me an idea. Then the teacher told us that she will do whatever she can to help. Then Sophie and I tried to figure out who could have done this and why.
“Who could have done this to our project?” Sophie asked.
“I think I have a really good idea about who did it,” I replied. “I think it was Joe.”
“Maybe Jackson lets go ask if we could look at the security footage,” Sophie said. So we went and asked the Principle. After we told the principle why we need to look at the footage he allowed us to. Then we looked through the security footage and found a shady character destroying our projects. There was also a light on so we barely saw the look on the persons face so we went around after school to see who has the remaining pieces of our project because some pieces were missing from our project. Sophie looked around a few places in the school and she told me that she couldn’t find anything.
Then we decided to ask for help looking around the school and in the science lab, and we found that our remaining pieces of our project were with Joes stuff. We had asked Michael, Ben and Sarah to help. We look everywhere around the school. Once we found the remaining pieces it took us about half an hour to get it out of there. Although it wasn’t that bad, but some of the major parts were damaged. So I put them in a safe place in my backpack that nobody would notice. It was a good thing too because if Joe was around he would have found that spot in my backpack by now.
“Oh Joe is so going down,” Sophie said in anger.
After she said that, it sounded like she thought she was about to rip someone’s head off.
“Well Sophie it looks like we are going to reassemble our project again tomorrow,” I said depressingly. “See you tomorrow Sophie,” I said.
“Same to you Jackson,” Sophie replied back.
On the way home we decided to call our parents and they told us to meet up at Red Robins for dinner. So we went home did some of our homework, and then headed off to the restaurant. The food was really good. It was my sister’s birthday. After that we went back home and had a cake for dessert. The type of cake was an ice-cream cake. People came and sang to her at the restaurant. She had turned 18. She was so happy. Now that she turned 18 she can learn how to drive. I had many thoughts about what she might do when she is driving with a new drivers licence. I thought for when she is driving she could drive me to school when she is not working. That would be so cool. The one thing is still uncertain to me still because I never got to see my dad teaching my brother and sister how to drive. The one thing my family usually does on a birthday is going to an area we know well and sleep in our tents overnight then head back home. Since it was my sister’s birthday she got to choose where we went. She chose that we should camping one of the areas near the center. The area she chose has a lot of wildlife. Although the animals are friendly toward us and visits us every so often. But we didn’t go this time because it was a school night and I didn’t want to be late.
My brother and sister are both really cool people. They always seem to get along but sometimes they get into fights. My parents are really great people as well because they started the center in order to help the wild animals. The thing I had at the restaurant was the Whiskey River BBQ burger with sweet potato fries. We really enjoyed it. My sister’s favorite restaurant is Triple O’s and her second favorite is none other than Red Robins. When we at my place we just hung out and played some card games with our families. Then we went up into my room and we watched a movie. After the movie was over Sophie gave me a hand bracelet and told me that she is giving it to me because we had been friends for a really long time and it is just to remind us on how long we had been friends for. Then Sophie’s parents brought her stuff over because my parents said it was okay to have a sleep over. We both go to the same school any way. So she brought her stuff into my sister’s room and she stayed downstairs.
The same dream had happened again that night but, Sophie also had a weird dream too. Next morning Sophie and I woke up gotten ready for school. Once everyone else got up we made them pancakes. Then we ate, grabbed our stuff made our lunches then went straight to school. When we were just arriving at school Sophie told me about her dream. Her dream took place in an artist shop and in her dream she was the owner. After she saw that building it turned into flames like the way the center burned in my dream. We tried figuring out on what the dreams meant but we still didn’t have a clue on why these dreams had happened. But the day still turned out to be okay. After school we worked on homework, fed the animals at the center then Sophie’s parents came and then she grabbed her things and left. Then I fixed the project before I had gone to bed. I tried to stay calm but I had a very scary nightmare. In my nightmare I saw so many demons and other things fighting although I was able to figure out on what those other things were. So that was basically on my mind for the rest of the night. I tried to keep my mind off of the dream I had but I wouldn’t stop thinking about it.

. The next morning when we were at school our teacher asked “what happened to your project Jackson?”
“Joe stayed back at the school, and destroyed our project and tried to some of those pieces for his own project,” Sophie said angrily.
“Did you look at the security footage?,” the teacher asked.
“Yes we did,” I replied.
“Okay, you and the rest of your classmates should start getting your tables set up because the Science fair is tomorrow night,” the teacher said excitedly.
During the morning I didn’t feel so happy for what Joe had done. I was also very tired because I couldn’t stop thinking about my dream that I had. So I was really grumpy. Nobody likes have bullies around the school because it is never okay to bully someone. Bullying people is not okay because nobody should be treated that way. I really wish that bullying was against the law because bullying is not a good thing. Everyone should be against bullying but some people think that it is okay but it is not. So the principal even thought of some ways that could stop and shared that information with the entire school on the Public address system.
Then Sophie went to go get supplies and so did I.
“Let’s get this done Sophie,” I said.
“Yes let’s continue,” Sophie replied.
“I have the blue table cover, and the project,” I said.
“Wow! You fixed it,” Sophie said excitedly.
The only time I was able to fix the project was on my spare time after school while being at the center.
“Yep, it took a little while but I have fixed it,” I replied. “What do you have for the table Sophie?” I asked.
“I have the title of our project, and the video diagram,” Sophie replied.
“That’s great Sophie, so all we need to do is set the table up and put it in a safe place,” I said being cautious. We assembled the table and then went on to our next three classes. The classes that we went to were: English, Math, and P.E. After lunch we only had two classes left. Those two classes were history, and wood working. After school was over we decided on what we would do on our way home.
On the way home Sophie and I went to go get some ice cream. The place we went to was Ice cream supreme shack. We go there some times when are parents known that is where we are going after school. The People that work there are Bob, Marissa, Christophe, Amy, Derrin, and Lisa.
Marissa, Christophe, Amy, Derrin, and Lisa are really good friends. They come to church on Sunday at the same service I go to then they get back to work. They are very kind people. They even allow me and my friends to get the ice-cream at 50% off. I thought that was a really great deal. They are very great people. They are so kind to both my family and my friends. What I think is that they should earn a medal for showing kindness to so many people.
“Hi guys!” I said happily when coming in through the door.
“Hey Jackson and Sophie! Christophe replied. Do you both want to have maple walnut and Raspberry cheese cake ice cream?
“Sure Christophe, how much does it all cost?”
“For you two I say $2.00.” Amy replied.
“We also agree.” Derrin said walking up to the front with Lisa.
“Wow! Thanks guys.” I replied.
I was very surprised that they would give me that deal and I am thankful for that because they are such good friends of mine. The ice cream we got was Maple walnut, and Raspberry cheese cake. It is a big place in the neighborhood. It has a giant sign on the top. Even when we go in there is always a bell ringing when the door opens. There are also more than one hundred varieties to choose from Strawberry to rainbow ice-cream. It also has gelato and it also has many varieties. The building has very few windows; it is just in case of unwanted visitors. But after we got our ice cream Joe and his gang spotted us and wanted to see what we were doing. Then we decided to get out of there so they don’t come after us. So we left but some of Joe’s gang tried to follow us. Then we sneaked behind a corner so they couldn’t find us. Sometimes I feel like Joe and his gang follows us for a reason. Even Sophie thought it was suspicious. We were both so tired of it even happening. We ran really fast until they couldn’t see us. We both got so exhausted like we couldn’t take another step.
“Few! They didn’t find us Sophie.” I said.
“It is a good thing too, Jackson.” Sophie replied
Then we went through the back alley in order to get back to my place.
Once we arrived back at my place we discussed, on how we ne to find better routes to get back to both our homes. Then Sophie called her parents to see if she could stay over for dinner. During dinner time we talked my parents asked us on how our school day went. So we both acted like nothing was wrong. Then my parents asked if both Sophie and I would help and the center tomorrow after school and we agreed. She told my family that she would do everything she can to help the animals. Then her parents arrived and took her home. Then I went to go feed the animals at the center. Once I got back from feeding the animals, I just went straight to bed.
When I was sleeping this time there was no dream like the ones that both Sophie and I had. I thought was great because it felt like that dream wasn’t bugging me anymore. Then I just got up had a glass of water then I went back to bed. But then I heard some fire engine and police car noises going on. So I opened my window and by the direction of the smoke it was coming from the center so my family rushed to the center to get the sick and wounded animals out of there. Then the Firemen arrived and put out the fire. Sophie’s, Michaels, Bens, and Sarah’s family came to see on what was going on. We told them that there was a fire at the center. We also told them we went in to get all the animals out. So we decided that we needed to repair the damage that was done to the center. Then we all went back to our homes to get some more sleep because it was midnight and it was a school night. I didn’t know what was going to happen after that so we brought the animals back to our place except we had to put them in the garage and have the garage door slightly open so the animals can some air in there.

The next day we went back to where we put our table and the project and found out that it is missing. So we looked around the school and near our houses and found it by looking in a hole behind Joe’s houses fence. “Oh he is really going down now because that just draws the line,” I said angrily. “You said it Jackson, now it is time that we give him some payback of our own,” Sophie said angrily. “Let’s get our project out of there before Joe gets here.”
So we go the front of Joe’s house and asked his parents if we could come in to get our project that Joe took from us. His parents were really nice, and they allowed us to come in and get it. We searched everywhere in the house, even in Joes room. When we walked in there we saw many sports trophies, a TV, and an Xbox. Once I saw the sports trophies I realized what he really wants to be when he is an adult. The thing that he really wants to be a Football player in the NFL. Then we looked in his closet too! It smelled really bad. I felt very sick. I thought the entire room looked cool but the smell was horrible. Then I thought how could Joe even outstand this smell.

Joe started playing sports when he was in grade 3. He started playing sports because his dad was a football player for when he was little. He played many sports like soccer, basketball, volleyball, and Baseball. The teams that he has been on have won almost every game of each season. Sometimes his team even win in the finals. He also got hurt sometimes during games. The worst time he got hurt is when he got shoved by two people from the opposite team. That hurt his shoulders so he couldn’t throw for the rest of ten games. It hurt really badly for him like was almost about to stop trying to win. Everyone knew it was very painful for him at the game and they could hear him struggling in pain. Then he knew that it was time to rest from playing football for a while. He never wanted to hear about it ever since that happened.
Sophie and both thought we were just about to throw up. So we backed away very quickly because we both felt like we could not breathe. It was a very bad smell. It smelt like dirty football gear and clothes. I thought was almost ready to faint and the smell was really strong too so we backed away so we could be safe.
“Ewe, that is so gross.” Sophie said almost feeling like she is about to hurl.
“You said it Sophie, let’s get out of this room.” I replied
After that horrible time searching around in Joe’s room , we checked the back yard and found it on the ground. So we used my bag so we could carry it out. After that we said thanks and good bye to his parents and then we left. On the way back to my place we decided on what we should do for transport to get us and our project to the fair.
“Yes, we got our project back,” Sophie said happily. “Jackson I think you should take the project back to your place so it doesn’t get taken again,” Sophie added.
“Good idea Sophie,” I replied. Then she called her parents to see if we can get a lift to the science fair. Although we had to make a few stops to eat and we need to bring drinks and snacks for the people that are going to walk around. Before we got to the fair we dropped by the center. We were surprised that the centers damage was fully repaired. Then my parents left me a note saying that they were going out for dinner and they will not see me until later. Then we continued on and reached the science fair.

Finally it was time for the Science fair to start . The time we got at the fair was 7:00 pm. We were right on time because that is when it started. Everyone was so pumped up to see what other people in the science fair created.
It looked very cool inside the building. There were banners, signs, music, and many projects. Even the displays for the projects were so cool. Someone even did a 3D model of an air plane and made a mini model version of it. The air plane model was very detailed. It had actual moveable propellers. In the air plane there must have been some sort of engine that is allowing the propellers to move. When just looking at it you would notice that is a World War 2 plane because of the name on the side of it and the symbol. When I was looking at it, I was very amazed on how cool the model was. It looks exactly like an actual airplane that was used in the past. So many people stayed at that booth for a long time because it looked so realistic. I was even surprised, too because I had never seen that many people come to one booth. There were at least fifteen to twenty people going to that booth. I felt much stressed out because barely less than seventeen people showed up at our booth. There were so many things going on like the arrival of all the people who came to see the projects, the judges, and the refreshments.
“Wow everyone’s projects look so exciting,” Sophie said. Some people had volcano’s electricity models, and many models of robots.
“Yes they do look amazing,” I replied. “Hey look there is Michael, Ben, and Sarah’s project.” “Hey guys!”
“Hey Jackson, Hey Sophie,” Sarah said happily. “How are you guys?” Sarah asked.
“We are doing fine,” Sophie replied back.
“Wow, both of our projects look almost evenly matched,” Ben said.
“Yes they sure do Ben,” I said. Then the judges introduced themselves to everybody in the fair and started judging the projects.
Everyone, even Sophie sounded like she was very excited and really wanted to figure out who would win this year’s science fair. Many people came into the building. Each member in the fair had to bring some sort of food or refreshments so the people can enjoy them. Then the Judges started to come around and look at our projects. The Judges looked at each project like they are examining on what the project is doing then they give a comment to the owner of that specific project. The judges took at least five to ten minutes to look at each project. Once they finished looking they kept moving on the next project. She even noticed that both of our families were here to see us and they did not even tell us that they were coming. So we went over said hi to our parents then the judges were almost at our booth. Sophie and I both felt shocked on what they were going to ask us. I even had a little bit of a chill coming down my spine. That was usually that was the sign to tell people that I am nervous. Sophie especially was scared on what the judges might think about it. When the judges were almost here at our booth, I saw the look on Sophie’s face she doesn’t look to happy because she was scared on what bad things they could say to the both of us. I calmed her down and told her that she shouldn’t be so scared because the judges aren’t supposed to say anything bad towards anyone they see. Then she took a deep breath and waited for the judges to arrive at the booth. Then she stayed calm for the rest of the time.

It was almost finally time for the Judges to decide. They came and looked at both Joe’s and our projects, and they announced that it was a tie for first place. They also said that they were amazed on how good each of our projects was created . They explained how good our water cycle projects information. They also said how detailed the information for Joe’s project was. They said they were very detailed and that we did a very good job of modeling it the way each diagram showed. Then they walked to the front of the stage. In order to give us our ribbons. The way they give the ribbons is by presenting the ribbon to the winner, and shaking hands with the judge. The colours of the ribbons are blue (first place), Green (second place), and red (third place). Sophie and I were both so proud on how accomplished we were while working together. We really did our best and did it the rest of the school and we were all proud about it so we celebrated . We all cheered for each other because we all did an amazing job. I even saw my parents come up to us and congratulated us. I didn’t even know that they were coming. Sophie, Sarah, Joe, Ben and Michael were surprised too!
Then everyone that was looking around at the displays started clapping and cheered for every student who participated to win in the science fair.
“Sophie, I am so glad that we won.” I said happily. We both jumped up and down, and also we gave each other a high five.
“Same here Jackson, and ever since we met I was so glad to meet new friends.” She replied.
“Yes it sure was great Sophie.” I said.
Then Joe came up to me and said, “Jackson I didn’t realize this until now, but I realized that since I have been trying to get rid of the competition and I didn’t accomplish anything good during school.” “Please forgive me, I am very sorry.”
I didn’t realize that Joe would be like that at all. I thought he would still be mean, but somehow he had changed. I also didn’t realize that he could be that emotional.
“It’s okay Joe,” I replied. Sometimes emotions can cloud your judgement of others, I even have a hard time with it.
“Yes, you are right Jackson, I shouldn’t have my emotions go to my head,” Joe replied.
“Don’t worry about it Joe, after this lets head to the ice-cream shack to get you some ice-cream, is that okay with you?” Sophie asked.
“Sure I could sure use a little bit of ice-cream,” Joe replied. Then we did a hand shake, a fist bump and a high five.
“Dude since we were both tied, can we look at your project?” I asked.
“Sure,” Joe replied.
Then we all walked over to Joe’s booth and looked at his project.
“Wow! That’s so cool Joe what is it?,” Sophie asked . She came up and looks at it with a very surprised and amazed face.
“It is a model I made about the solar system and I added a little thing to it so the planets can spin.” Joe replied. “I have been doing it on my spare time, and I also added some information about each planet.” Joe said.
Sophie was so happy that we both did so hard into doing our projects.
“That is amazing Joe,” Sarah said. Then Sarah gave Joe a big hug.
“Congrates you three you all worked very hard and now we present to you the first prize ribbons,” the judges said.
Then they gave us our ribbons and shook hands with us. Then we walked up on stage.
Then the announcer said: “Congratulations Joe, Sophie and Jackson. You are the winners of this year’s science fair.”
That time I was so relieved that was over and I really enjoyed it. I never really won a ribbon in school, and I became so excited that I wanted to put in my room on my desk once I get home. I also saw the same look in Sophie’s eyes as well. Joe was also very excited. He really enjoyed this science fair. He was so glad that he made friends with us and with and Michael, Sarah, and Ben. I also felt like it was a very good fair because of all the friends that I had been there and I got become a friend of Joes.
Everyone that was watching us got an award cheered and yelled out our names. I thought I would never have heard so many people cheering this loud. So many people had thought we did an excellent job. Sophie and I thought that everyone at their booths did a really great job. So Sophie, Joe and I jumped up and gave each other a high five. Then Sophie gave me a hug. I knew what the hug was for. The hug was for being more than a best friend towards her. By look on Sophie’s face I knew that she knew my feelings for her. Then we all walked off stage. While walking off the stage, Sophie wrapped her left arm around my right arm. Once we got off the stage people started coming towards us to congratulate us.
“Congrats you guys.” Michael said happily. Then he gave us both a high five.
“Great job guys, Ben said.” Then he gave us a glass of water.
“Your model looks awesome.” Sarah said. Then she gave us both a hug.
“You guys did a great job as well.” I replied happily.
“Hey Joe I got a great Idea, maybe next year at the science fair maybe we should team up.” I said.
“Sounds like a plan Jackson.” Joe replied excitedly.
After that everyone cleaned up their booths while people started to leave. Once we had finished, Joe, Sophie, Sarah, Ben, Michael, and I left to get some ice-cream. When walking out Sophie and I held hands and continued on to the ice-cream shop with the others. They really enjoyed the fair. Even Joe had a lot of fun and I am proud of all of us that we had a good time doing the fair and having a new friend along in the group was very exciting. From then on Joe and I were very good friends.
Then everyone else went home.

During that night I dreamed that Sophie and I were working together at the center. Taking care of all the animals and playing with them. I kept thinking about it all night. Then a few weeks later Joe, Sophie, Michael, Sarah, Ben and I planted a time capsule together just to show the next generation on how our friendship was created. By that time Sophie and I were friends in a boyfriend and girlfriend sort of way. Joe even came to the center to visit and play with the animals and he hasn’t stopped coming ever since he saw the animals I didn’t even notice that he really likes animals until that day. Sarah, Ben, Joe and Michael even started to volunteer at the center. I even managed to help a lot of other people in school. We even started a group that involve helping people in a different country and that group also gets the chance to help other students. In the time capsule Joe put in a football key chain. Sarah put in a picture of all of us. This picture was taken after the fair was over. I was just to remind us all on all the fun we had together. Ben put in a school photo with all of us together. Ben put this one in so we can remember the things we did after the science fair. Sophie and I put in a drawing of one of the things we did when we had met. I thought that was really cool for Sophie to put that in. Then Michael put in a baseball key chain. It was to remind us on all the funny things that happened when Ben, Sarah, and Michael, had soda. Then we gave the honor to Joe to bury it because he had been friends with us for a long while. They are all the best friends I have had. After that we buried the capsule and went back to school the next day.
The friends you make in school are the friends you keep for life.

This book has 1 comment.

Taylor Audette, Port Coquitlam, Other
I know my book isn't that great, but at least I tried.