Words | Teen Ink

Words

By Steph99, Stockton, California
Steph99, Stockton, California

Preferences
§
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
0
-
=
Backspace

Tab
q
w
e
r
t
y
u
i
o
p
[
]

Return

capslock
a
s
d
f
g
h
j
k
l
;
'
\

shift
`
z
x
c
v
b
n
m
,
.
/
shift

English

alt
alt

Preferences

How is it that one person can judge another, when they themselves aren’t even close to perfect? This what I ask myself everyday, how can people be so cruel? Judge everything about you, on your appearance, the way you act, things you like, everything……...Its really disappointing seeing others treat others like crap, and for what? To feel better about yourself for putting someone else down? This is how I feel. I ask myself why? Why do we do this to each other? What’s the point……………………………………………………………….

“EMILY BREAKFAST IS READY!” my mom screams loudly.
“I’ll be there in a sec mother!” I yell back.
I get up from my bed, then walk down the stairs to find my parents fighting once again. I can see my mom’s face is so red and her eyes are filled with so much hate and anger and disappointment. My dad has a straight face and arms crossed, staring at my mom in pity but anger as well. I can't say what actually tick them off this time, but they’ve been fighting for months over the same problem. Money, cheating, laziness, etc. Don’t worry this is normal at my house.
I sit down grab a bowl of cereal, and watch them fight. Its kinda funny to be honest but I do hate it. Its like the only thing they’re are good at.
Finally they stop, and look at me and acted like nothing happened. I stare at them both, have nothing to say to neither of them.
I’m done with my breakfast, so I go back to my room and get ready for school. I look for my blue and white striped shirt and black jeans and hurried to put them on. I look for my grey winter coat that my grandma gave. It was the last thing she gave me before she died. she was only 78 with a happy heart and a bad case of heart cancer.
Once I was done I go back downstairs to ask my mom for a ride.
“Hey I need a ride to school!”
“Uhh today I can’t sweety, i'm really busy with work and it’s all stressing me out. I’m sorry, go ask your wonderful father!” she says sarcastically.
“Alright………..”
I walk to the living room and find my dad reading,
“Hey dad, I need a ride.”
“Ummm can’t your mom take you?” he said as he still reads his book.
“No, she sent me to you”
“Uhhhh…………… fine I’ll take you let me get my coat.” 
“Thanks you’re such a doll” I say sarcastically with a big smile. 
I get my backpack and walk outside to my dad’s car, which soon will probably be mine, but mostly likely not. I sit in the front seat, and once I sat down I get all sick inside. My dad hops in the driver’s seat and turns on the car and starts driving.
Now I don't want to go to school. I thought I was ready but no I’m not, I want to stay home. I just wished I told my dad that.
We finally get to my school. Stanton Woods high school. Its big, You could get lost in here if you don't know your way around. It’s a really nice school with teachers and staff who want to help you achieve future goals, like going to college, getting a great job, etc. Everything here is nice.
I have a hard time getting out of the car because I'm really nervous and I don’t and can’t be here! i should’ve stayed home. I’m out and I say goodbye to my dad and he says it back with a smile. I walk up to my school knowing I should've stayed home. Walking through the front door and I see my art teacher.
“Hey Mrs. Barajas!”
“Why hello Mrs. Emily, how are you?” she said with a big smile in her british accent. 
“I’m good, kinda…”
“Why kinda do you say?”
“I feel sick….”
“Emily should've stayed home if you were feeling this way. Doesn’t your mother know?”
“No…………”
“Do you want to call her to pick you up. No child should be out if they are ill”
“Mmmm well I don’t want to bother her, no no I wont call. If I feel worse I’ll call.”
“Well alright, if you say so. Just let me know if you need to call her alright?”
“I will. Thanks Mrs. Barajas.”
“Oh anything for you darling. Remember no fighting with other girls today ok?”
“Haha you know about that….”
"Why yes! Everyone at school knows!"
"Oh....."
"Yeah just stay out of trouble ok?"
"I will, thanks Mrs. Barajas bye!"
"Bye sweety"
I started walking to my 1st period and kept thinking about the fight. Great! I guess now everyone knows about the fight I was in. This isn’t good at all. The fight happened last week on friday……… It wasn’t pretty at all. The girl I fought was named Jessie Smith. One of the most popular teenager in school. A totally drama queen, cares for no one but herself, she is rude and disrespectful, just one of the most ignorant person on earth. I known her since the 1st grade, so this is how I know so much about her. I don’t get in fights but this one I had no choice I suppose. It all started from one damn comment she made to a girl who was new here. I hate it when people judge other by appearance. It’s so wrong, like can’t you think that the person you’re making fun of is getting hurt by what you say? Of course not! No one cares! I just wanted to teach her that it’s wrong and that she shouldn’t do it again. The only thing I really did in that fight was punch her multiple of times and pulled her hair. All she did was scream and tried punching back a couple of times, I did get hit but not hard enough. That’s why I didn't want to come to school, she’s gonna start bugging me and messing with me. I guess its better then her making fun of others.
I finally get to my 1st period, it’s geometry with Mrs. Gonzalez. I sat down at my desk between two guys named Daniel on my left and James on my right. I put down my bag and open it to take out my homework.
I really I don’t see the point of taking a class where you have to find the area of a shape. It’s not like we’re gonna use it in real life. But there’s nothing I can do but stay and pass the class, and graduate from high school.
I constantly think about my future. What college I’m going to attend too, where I’m going to live, what job I’ll get. It’s always going through my mind, sometimes drives me crazy. I do have a plan but I’m not very certain of it. All I'm certain about is going to Julliard, I love to act so this is the perfect school for me. This is the only thing I’m certain I’ll do in the future, everything else I’ll just have to figure it out later, well know since it’s my last year here.
“RIIINNNNGG!!!!!!!!!” the 1st bell rings finally. Next is history with Mr. Rojas, it’s an alright class but history isn’t that interesting to me. There’s only one thing I hate about this class, Jessie Smith…………… She’s in it. I’m trying to avoid this woman but thanks to my changed schedule I have her in like 4 classes, this is so awesome.
I walk in, sit down, put my bag down and try really hard not to make eye contact with the devil’s daughter, so I keep head low and look forward only.
I can hear her in the back laughing and talking to her friends, I’m just hoping she doesn't notice me.
“Hahah awwwww look at four eyes here. Eyy Emily where did you get that barfing color coat.” she says.
I turn around and said,
“I hope you can see alright because it’s grey stupid!”
“Awwww haha look she’s trying to be mean, isn't adorable?” She says
I just rolled my eyes and turned back because really she isn't worth my time, but I can still hear her talking crap. I’m trying so hard not to say anything, I’m just ignoring her for now but man she won’t shut up!
Mr. Rojas started his lesson, I wasn't paying attention much because I still felt sick. I have a headache and my chest is hurting so much, my hands are shaky, I’m getting sweaty. Man I need to go home, but there’s no one to call. My mom meant be out of town working, and my dad working as well and won’t get out until 11:00 pm today. I’ll just have to deal with it until I come home and with Jessie.
The day passing by, almost time to go to lunch. Finally I’m starving! Everyone is anxious to eat and so am I, I’m feeling worse then ever, and maybe some food could help.
“RIIINNNNGG!!!!!!!!!”the bell for lunch finally rings. Everyone packs up and goes to the cafeteria to eat. I’m rushing out of the classroom too. I rush out and go to the cafeteria and get in line for pizza since its Friday. I grab a plate and the lunch ladies hand me pizza. Then I get some fruits, this time I got an apple and orange. Now I have my lunch and I’m ready to eat. I walk to the lunch room to sit down and eat. My friend Ana isn't here today, so Imma have to sit alone for the 3rd time in a row. I’m guessing she’s sick or she’s ditching school with her boyfriend Bruce, wouldn't surprise me if she is. I known her since the 1st grade and we've been best friends ever since. Ana is more of the crazy one in this friendship, she’s outgoing, smart but really she is an idiot. Nothing scares her you can say, she’s brave. Me not so much but according to her I am now since I stood up for some new girl from the wrath of Jessie. Overall Ana and I are really good friends, best friends, and nobody can change that.
I sit down next to the window where you can see our school garden, I look through the window, and  it’s beautiful. Lovely flowers, from variety of colors. I would love to sit in there eat, where it’s all quiet, everything smells nice and sweet.
“AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH” I scream every loudly.
*gasp* Everyone gasps and starts laughing at me.
An idiot poured a whole bucket of red paint all over me. This idiot’s name is Jerry Tybalt, Jessie’s boyfriend. 
“OMG!!! WHAT HECK MAN!?” I screamed at him.
“Hahahaha what a bloody mess.” he says,  “That’s what you get for getting my girlfriend in trouble!!!”
“YOU’RE AN IDIOT!!! SHE GOT WHAT SHE DESERVED!!!”
“OH SHUT IT EMILY!!! OR IMMA MAKE YOU FEEL WORSE THEN EVER!!!” Jessie said.
I stay quiet and stare at the ground and one drop of tear goes down my cheek. I get up and run to bathroom to clean up. When I get there I start crying and start cleaning my face and hands and clothes.
Mrs. Barajas rushes in and asks,
“What happened?”
“SHE DID THIS! SHE DID IT! HER AND HER IDIOT BOYFRIEND JERRY!!”
“Emily! Emily! Emily calm down please! I called your moth-”
“Why did you call her? She won’t understand.”
“Sweetie please calm down everything will be fine. Just let us help you.”
“No one can help me….”
My mom walks in and hugs me while asking,
“Omg are you ok?”
“OF COURSE NOT!! THAT B**** DID THIS TO ME” as I cried some more.
“Sweetie let’s go home.”
My mom helps me up and carries my stuff all the way to the car. Mrs. Barajas walks us there. We exit the school, go to our car and Mrs. barajas opens the door for me and says
“She will pay for this. There’s no way she’s getting away with this”
I feel sometimes that Mrs. Barajas is better figure of a mom then my real mom. I wished she was. She has no children to call her own, and her husband died 5 years ago of heart cancer. I kinda know what she went through but it must've been whole different experience since it was her lover who died not relative. When my grandma died it was like a piece of me left, it’s not there anymore. It died out with her…. Since her husband is dead she’s been living all by herself in a Victorian navy blue house.
“Sometimes I think of him...but I tell myself not to think so much because I’ll go crazy from it. Then I laugh because aren't we all...a little crazy… “ she has told me one time when I told of my grandmas death. She taught me so much about life and how we should cherish it, and love the people who come in our wonderful lives. I never understood that part, “love the people who come in our lives.” How can we? How can we when others treat everyone like crap. I say this only because I’ve experienced this, as you can see from earlier today, but to be fair there is no room for me to talk. Still how can you?
We make it home, I'm still covered in paint. My dad was waiting for us at the front porch with a towel. Once I reach him, he wraps me with it and tells me to hurry on inside to the shower. As I walk to my bathroom to take a shower, I can hear my parents staring arguing over what happened.
“WHAT THE HELL MAGGIE!?!?  I KNEW WE SHOULDN’T HAVE LET HER GO TO SCHOOL!” my dad says as he starts crying.
“SHUT IT JOHN!!! SHE SAID SHE WAS FINE!! THAT SHE CAN GO BACK WITH NO PROBLEM!!” my mom yells back starting to cry as well.
From there I just try to zone out and hurry into the shower, but I can still hear them. I this all my fault, I should have stayed quiet when that girl was being bullied and misjudged by that that THAT B****!! Now I have to deal with the consequences.
As I walk in the bathroom, and turn on the shower and let the water run for a while so I can relax. I just sit here for while trying to forget everything. I look over to the sink, and see my dad left his box cutter. Which is odd seeing it here, it should be in the garage with the rest in a little box. I grab it and exam it for a while, then I take out the blade. I look at that for a good 2 minutes or so. Then I had this feeling, this weird feeling to… to…. cut… to cut myself. I have this in mind and it’s my main focus now. “Do it! Cut your arm! It will feel great! All your pain will go away!” I keep hearing this over and over and over in head… it’s killing me…
So I get ready, I’m holding the blade close to my left wrist. I make the 1st cut fast. It hurts so bad. I try a second time but this time I go slow and make it deep. I kept cutting some more. Once I did that my whole arm is covered in blood. I can’t tell the difference between the red paint and blood.
Knock knock knock! “Sweetie are you OK?” my mom says in her worried voice.
I yell back “YES MOTHER!”
I hurry into the shower and wash out all the paint and blood. I get out and rush to my room. I change into a long selves and some sweats and socks. Once I’m all dressed, I go down stairs and I see my parents still fighting.
I can’t take this anymore. I have to leave! I run back up the stairs and grab a bunch of clothes and put them all in bag. I have all my stuff, so now I run back down and grab my dad’s keys and get in his car, then drive off.
I keep driving and driving and driving until I’m far away from home. I don't want to go back, there’s no way I can. I know if I look back I'll regret it, so I’m leaving town.
I’m finally out!
I’m free….
Well almost….
I keep driving, but then stop by the lake that’s pretty far but yet still close to my town. You can say it’s in the outskirts of it. I park the car close to this oak tree and that has all  its branches hanging over the lake.
Once I park it, I get out and just sit by the lake and start crying. I think about all the crap I've been through. Why did this happen to me! Why does it happen to anyone. Why…… why…..
I’m done so done.
I walk into the water. It’s so cold and I can feel the current on my legs. I keep walking in until the water is up to my waist. Of course all my clothes are wet but I don’t care I keep walking in.
Finally I feel the edge of the cliff underwater, I want to go in but I’m too scared too. I can do it, they don’t need me anymore. Why should I stay? They don’t want me!
Who does……………………………
I died on January 14th, 1994. My whole entire family misses me, my friend Ana is devastated of my death. She can’t go a day without crying, knowing that I’m gone and that she wasn't there to help.
Ladies and gentlemen please understand that your words are greatly and very effective to others. Saying something nice can encourage someone to do good. But saying something unsatisfactory things can really really bring down a person and sometimes it brings them, like me, to death, all because they, I, couldn't take it.
Use your words wisely.

Preferences
§
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
0
-
=
Backspace

Tab
q
w
e
r
t
y
u
i
o
p
[
]

Return

capslock
a
s
d
f
g
h
j
k
l
;
'
\

shift
`
z
x
c
v
b
n
m
,
.
/
shift

English

alt
alt

Preferences