Journey | Teen Ink

Journey

By Makins, Portland, Oregon
Makins, Portland, Oregon

This piece was inspired by my love for horses.

He woke to his alarm; reaching over and slapping the snooze button on top. He lay there for a few moments rubbing his eyes, adjusting to the brightness of his room. He lifted himself to the edge of his bed pulling open the curtains to see his filly grazing in the pasture peacefully. He glanced around the room, spotting a what looked to be a clean shirt and walked to and threw it on as he walked out his bedroom. As he reached the bottom of the stairs, the smell of biscuits and gravy made his mouth water tremendously. As he sat down at the table he grabbed the tv remote and switched it on.

“Last night June 18th at 11:00pm an armed man walked into Joe’s Quick Mart, pointing the gun at the cashier; forced the cashier to give over all the money in the register.” The reporter man spoke in a monotone voice that bored him. He flicked the tv off and glanced to his mother who was setting his food on the table. He thanked her with a peck on the cheek. He took a deep breath inhaling the delicious smells of his favorite breakfast. He dug into the food taking his time now to scarf it down.

It was early, the sun rising filled the sky with pink and purples, just like every other day. He was leaning against the fence gazing upon his new filly. She fit the ‘mare’ stereotype. Chestnut with a blaze running up her forehead and white socks covered her legs. This was going to be a heck of a day trying to break her, he thought. As he approached the round pen he unlocked the gate and the filly froze looking at him. Her breathing was rapid after all the bucking. He ran his hand through his moppy hair and sighed. He stepped closer to the filly; patting her on the neck he attached the lead rope to her halter. He picked up the saddle pad that was laying in the dust. Wiping the saddle pad off, he then tossed it over the filly’s back a few times. Finally he let it rest on her back after she had no reaction to it; he then grabbed for the saddle. He threw the saddle over a few times as well before setting it on. He looked to see her head bent towards him; her curious eyes peering at the saddle. He reached under her for the cinch and began pulling tighter, that's when it happen. In a blink of an eye she bolted, bucking and rearing; tossing her head as she loped around the round pen. After she had stopped and faced him, he walked over to the where the saddle and saddle pad lay. Picking them up and dusting them off once more. He threw the saddle pad over and with no reaction he tossed over the saddle too. To his surprise she didn’t react as he tightened the cinch again. He patted her on the neck, telling her good girl and removed the saddle then saddle pad and brought them back to the barn; leading her in his right hand.

He tied his filly up; grabbing the groom bag he walked back towards her rubbing his hand along her neck. He grabbed the curry brush, brushing in circles to break the sweaty hair apart; he then grabbed for the hard brush, brushing her clean. He walked her back to the pasture, letting her continue to graze the day away. He longed to do the same. Free, he thought. He patted his pocket making sure he had his truck keys before heading to his truck. He opened the driver door, tossing his hat into the passenger seat; before he slid the key into the ignition and started it up.

He was making his way downtown when he saw red and blue flashing lights behind him. His palms began to sweat as he gripped the steering wheel tighter. He checked his rear view mirror; red and blue flashing lights brightly reminded him of his small mistake. He saw the officer step out of his car, rolling down the window as the police officer took his time.

“Yes, officer?”

The man cleared his throat, “do you know why I pulled you over?” before he could reply the man said, “you were speeding.”

“Now officer I was going 7 miles over the speed limit on this dead highway” He gestured to the completely empty road.

“Speeding is still speeding.” The police officer looked around the vehicle. With a slight humph he took a step back. “You have a good day, young man.”

He sighed almost immediately. “As do you sir.” He gave a slight wave as the officer walked back to his car. He watched as the officer pulled off and flipped a U turn.

Shortly after that encounter with the police officer he arrived at a small tack store in the middle of town. “Joel! How have ya been, man?” He asked, as he continued to work his way toward the man.

“Fine and dandy, Luke.” The older man reached around and pulled him into a half hug. They stepped back and continued to greet each other like old friends.

“I need a new saddle.” He finally said, after the long catching up.

“Hmm…” The older man thought for a while. “I think I’ve got what you’re looking for.” He motioned for the man to follow him. It was an older roping saddle. Looked to be in a decent condition.

“150, how’s that sound?” The old man asked?

Luke rubbed his chin thoughtfully, inspecting the saddle a little further. He had the money; thankfully due to his last paycheck.  He reached out his hand in a agreement gesture. Joel shook it, smiling as he did so. As they walked back toward the register Luke pulled out his wallet, grabbing $150. They exchanged items and departed. On his way out he stopped at the biliton board with various jobs, missing pets, and theft alerts. A job opportunity caught his eye, this was a job that he couldn’t pass up. It read “Horse Trainers Wanted” It was in Idaho a state away. He takes the phone number and exits the building.

He was home now looking out his window to his horse. He wanted this job so dearly. To finally leave home and do what he loves; training horses. He had spoke to a lady after he had got home. She told him that with a small fee he would be able to board his filly at the ranch he was going to work at. And this job opportunity did lead to other jobs such as professional horse training. He decided in that moment that he was going to take the job. He was going to leave his mother and younger sister in order to pursue what he wanted. He went to his closest pulled out a backpack and suitcase. He threw them on the bed and began filling them with clothes. He grabbed his off his dresser that his grandfather gave him. He placed it on his head; gathered up his bags and walked out of the room.

He spoke to his mother about it and although she was heart broken, she understanded. He hugged his younger sister and left out the back door. He found his way to the barn, walking towards his filly. Her ears perked up as he stopped at her stall door. The door opened and he placed the halter on her, leading her to the trailer. He opened the trailer door; leading her in with no problem. He closed the door and sped to the barn grabbing her tack and a few bales of hay. He tossed the hay into the bed of his truck then throwing the saddle and other items as well. He quickly jumped into his truck, his whole body shaking do to his nerves. He sat there quietly for a moment, making sure this was indeed the decision he wanted to make. It was confirmed when he twisted his key in the ignition and heard the rumble of the truck as it came to life. He gave one final look at the ranch before he took off down the road.