Stuck Out at Sea | Teen Ink

Stuck Out at Sea

This piece was inspired by a story that my friend's dad would read to us to scare me and my friends.

my book does not have chapters

Stuck Out at Sea! 
It was just me and my dad, out to teach me how to drive a boat for the first time. We were riding far out from the coast, but close enough to barely see the house. My dad was out fishing while I was resting in the haul of our boat where my bedroom is. All a sudden I feel the boat shake very violently, then again. I try to get up to go see what it is, but it feels like I'm locked down to the bed. Then I hear yelling, but not my dad's voice it sounds like Jacob’s, one of my very close friends.  
“Tucker, Tucker!” I heard as Jacob was intensely shaking me to wake me up. “Something huge hit our boat and broke the anchor when you were asleep.” 
 I looked down at my watch to see what time it was, 3:00 Am. Well, do you know what it could have been. 
 “No Tucker, it's not like I was asleep in the middle of the night as well,” Jacob said sarcastically. 
 At this point, I was getting very worried about whatever the thing was that broke the anchor. What we need to make sure now is that there is nothing broken on the boat. You get the top I get the bottom, search everywhere and don’t miss anything. 
After we searched the whole boat, we found nothing to show anything was broken on the boat. I felt a little reassured that nothing was broken but, we were still floating in the middle of the ocean. I knew how to drive the boat, but I felt too dazed to do it right now. So, in the meantime, Jacob and I are going to fish to try to catch some breakfast. 
“Tucker, I got one,” Jacob yelled from the front of the boat.  
“How big does it feel?’’ 
 “It feels like it could feed 3 people,” Jacob said excitedly. 
I ran to where he was and moved the lines that were near his pole. “Gosh,” I said in amazement as this fish was not getting any closer to our boat. “Let me try,” I said as I grabbed the pole. The fish was really pulling so I went to the front of the boat to drive it forward. 
I went to start the engine. POP! CRACK!  That didn’t sound good. I went down to the haul to check out the engine. 
 “OH no,” I said as I ran back up to the bow. “The engine is smoking and not starting,” I said to Jacob. 
“What, how did you manage to do that.” 
“It wasn’t my fault it was the thing that hit our boat earlier,” I yelled back in a nasty tone.” 
“Please just help me get this fish in so we can have something to eat.” 
“Okay sorry for yelling at you. Give the pole to me so I can try, it looks like you are getting tired.” 
“Fine just don’t lose it okay. Do you want the strap?” 
“Sure,” I said. 
I was fighting the fish for probably 10 minutes more before I finally brought it onto the boat. It was a beautiful fish. It was a 67.23-pound tuna, enough to feed us for days. It was amazing and tasted so delicious, but the engine to the boat was still broken and we had nothing to fix it.  
“Tucker don’t you have a life raft in the haul as well.” 
“Oh my gosh, why didn’t we think of this earlier? I’ll go down and get it. You start getting everything packed up that we are going to need. This was going to be a rough trip.” 
“Ok, do we have and blankets or anything to keep us from freezing our tails off during the night?” 
“Yeah in the front of the boat in the chest to the right. There should be some blankets in there.” 
“Right, now tell me when you are ready to blow that thing up because I need to know when to get the fish out of the cooler.” 
 I looked down at my watch 2:45 pm. I was thinking, if we leave by 3, we can make it back by the end of the day. I still had no idea where we were in the Pacific Ocean.  
“The raft is blown up Jacob.” 
“Ok, going to get the fish.” 
We started out getting on the raft and holding on to the boat. We didn’t want to leave before we knew for sure we had everything. 
“Wait,” I said as I went back on the boat.” 
“What do you need.” 
“Flashlight” I yelled back 
Here we were in the middle of the ocean. The sun was about to set, 7:30 pm. We've were looking for hours for any sign of land, but we didn’t see anything but water. 
“Tucker,” Jacob yelled. 
“What. What!” 
“LAND!”