The Arrival | Teen Ink

The Arrival

Awoken by the soft beams of sunlight, he turned to his side table. Faced and overlooked a swan origami, made the night before. After looking around, he saw his wife on the side of the room praying desperately. 
Today was the day he was to depart from his home and be separated from his family. Layla his daughter, slept right beside him after crying relentlessly throughout the night for him. He could not sleep after repeatedly waking up from nightmares. Not knowing where he was headed, they would all pray for his safety relentlessly thought the night. Thoughts about his return, even before his departure precluded his mind endlessly.  
He rose, walked around, looking at the sentimental object around the house; drawings that Layla had made of them. The alarm clock that he hesitantly turned off every morning for work, he wished today that he could return home once again to his family. He took the drawing, with much love and carefully wrapped it in a shawl, as this was the only remembering object, he could take with him; and placed it with his luggage.  
Not knowing how long he would be away, his wife stood, cold and stern as tears fell from her eyes, she clasped his hand. Tea had still been steaming from the kettle not once paid attention too. The couple’s appetite had disappeared. Layla had woken up from all the raucous outside, and the names that were being yelled of the men who had to soon depart. She had forgotten about the night's sorrow and happily got dressed. Layla ate happily and played around with her toys, which brought a smile to her parents’ eyes. As she roamed across the room and was bewildered at a large box, which she had later found out was a suitcase. Helen his wife got ready and started sobbing. Suddenly a wave of sadness was upon all of them. 
Though it was just before noon instead of the sun shining outside it was full of smog, pollution, and dust. Depression was amongst the town, all of its residents and visitors. Not a vibrant color met the eye of anyone. Nor trees, flowers, the sky; but gray clouds, people, eyes, and heart. 
Layla then whines putting on her hat and boots handed the suitcase to the father and started crying. Left the house and he turned back for one last glance. They were face to face with disturbing views of armies swarmed outside in every alley. People being forced to leave out of their homes, handcuffing people. Both Layla and his wife strengthen their grip freighted by the sound they heard in the distance. The saw children, mothers and the old folk crying as men walked away in the distance. Their sobbing became louder as they continued to walk.  
Quiet and depressed tears and sweat had slowly fallen down their faces and neck. The military swarmed everywhere. They had made their way to the station. At noon the clock was to ring and then the train would depart. Slowly and steadily time went by and more families arrived. They waited under the building and grew inpatient of time. Heartbeats increased and cries grew louder. About half an hour had passed and out of the hundreds of people present, not one made a sound. The haunt of the train whistle was upon everyone there.   
People were dropped off and taken to a distance dark place that was shadowed over yonder. The rain had not fallen in days; streets were cluttered with people and debris. Lines had been formed; inspections were being made. 
The train had been seen from a distance. our hearts dropped. The deafening sound of the whistle awoken us from our misery and brought us back to reality. That our father and husband were to leave us until who knows how long. Men started boarding the train. Though out all the hecticness children not knowing who they were with were separated. Within seconds areas became more vacant. 
It was time for him to finally leave us. He bent down and hugged Layla. Kissed and hugged Helen before leaving. Helen embraced John once last time and cherished his unique cologne scent that she wished would follow her home. Layla was a bit more challenging and grabbed his handkerchief so she could keep his scent with her.  He raised his hat and gave Layla the swan origami from under the hat so that Layla could stop crying. She smiled and he turned around and started to walk; all they could see were the backs of hundreds of men going toward the train. All the sounds and raucous was even more deafening than the sound of the train. Helen said, “We will be waiting for you, John.”  
They waved to him until the train disappeared into the horizon and went back through the same ally where they walked a few hours ago and waited for The Arrival.