An Unlucky, Unlikely, and Utterly Unique Event | Teen Ink

An Unlucky, Unlikely, and Utterly Unique Event

By Dahlia_Pahlavi, Barrington, Rhode Island
Dahlia_Pahlavi, Barrington, Rhode Island

This writing is a great example of how people can work together to solve their problems. The power of human connection is not sometihng that can be replaced. 

It is dark, dry, but extremely fascinating. That’s what draws millions of people to it. Anastasia, desperate to escape her own sadness, heads to Mammoth Cave National Park, which also happens to be right next door to her new home. She hopes that in this experience, she will be able to enjoy nature without thinking about her lack of friends at school. Knowing she’d rather not run into anyone, she takes the trail that is unmarked. 

Anastasia, lonely as ever, still hasn’t adjusted to Kentucky after moving out of London. Wallowing in her loneliness, she isn’t even cheered by the smell of the fresh air and the fall leaves as she usually is. She wants to meet new people, but doesn’t everyone else at Murray High think she’s weird? To them, she’s the pale foreigner with an accent.

Suddenly, glancing up from the trail, she sees a little boy, appearing to be around the age of nine. His dark, red rain boots remind her of her own from London, only causing her to feel the more intense need to speak to him.

“Hello,” she states, head held high.

“Hello!” he energetically replies. That cheers her up. It feels like she hasn’t spoken to anyone since her parents dragged her across the sea to this small, rural town.

For a minute, it almost feels normal again, but then she remembers that she just spoke to a nine year old. Nine years olds will speak to anyone.

Continuing to wallow, she makes her way to the cave, heading to the trail that nobody else is headed to. She’s too miserable to ask herself why everyone is avoiding this trail. She sees a middle aged woman, looking to be around the age of 45, and a boy who is obviously a student at the University of Kentucky, seeing his sweatshirt.

“Wow, I ought to bring my family here,” the woman whispers quietly. 

“This is so fascinating,” the student states.

Anastasia tries to be fascinated by the cave, but even after ten minutes of exploring, she doesn’t feel any better. She turns to leave the cave and starts walking to the front of it, but then it starts pouring.

“Don’t leave the cave, sweetie,” the middle aged woman orders. “You’ll be drenched in the rain. I’m a nurse, I look out for people. You can call me Carlene.”

“She’s got a good point,” the university student adds. “I’m Cody, by the way.”

“I guess we’ll wait it out,” Anastasia states. “I’m Anastasia.”

They silently wait for the rainwater to stop, but in fact, it is quickly worsening. Quickly filling the surface of the cave, the water is dampening Anastasia’s new loafers.

“My shoes are ruined!” Anastasia whines.

“We have to leave here,” Cody suggests. His fingers are trembling, and he’s breathing very heavily now. He’s pacing back and forth, with the water quickly rising to his knees. Anastasia can clearly see that Cody has a severe anxiety disorder and is on the verge of a panic attack.

“Come, let’s leave now,” the woman suggests, her voice shaky. She glances at the water with an immensely anxious expression. Anastasia wonders why she’s worried.

“Whoosh, whoosh,” they hear, the water exploding into the cave. The water has now become waist high, causing it to become too narrow to escape from.

“We’re stuck!” Anastasia announces, frantic. “We’re stuck!”

“No, no, no!” Cody shouts. “This can’t be happening. It can’t. It can’t! Uh, uh, uh...” His rapid breaths explode out of his breath, as if he’d run three miles. “Uh, uh, uh.” He quickly states, “It’s too much stress.” Then he continues. “Uh, uh, uh.” He is clutching his throat as he gasps for air.

“What are we going to do?” Carlene frantically asks. “What? “This is too much, this is too much… I knew that I was pushing it… especially because I can’t swim! I shouldn’t have done this!”

Anastasia knows that in order to elude the cave, she must think hard now and manage all of her own anxiety, which is especially difficult for her considering that she’s surrounded by people who have serious internal problems themselves. She doesn’t think she has the strength required to do so.

“Help, help,” Anastasia yells at the top of her lungs. “Help us!”

“Help us!” Carlene adds.

“Please!” Cody begs. 

The water is quickly accumulating, and by now it’s reached their chests. They’re backed to the end of the cave, the air smelling sheerly like rocks. They already miss the fresh, outside air. It feels like their trapped in walls that are quickly closing in. Their visions are blurring while they suffer this deep distress. Despite all the noise from Cody and Carlene, the only sound Anastasia hears is the pounding of her own heart. 

“Someone help us, someone… someone!” Carlene sobs. “Someone!”

“Carlene, I’ll keep holding you up as best I can,” Cody reassures her, panic in his voice. “Please!” Cody yells once more, sobbing the most severely of them both. Snot runs out of

his nose and his eyes are already puffy. His face turns pale and his knees begin to buckle with the onset of a panic attack.

“Everyone calm down,” Anastasia asserts, “and take a deep breath. We can escape this cave. We just have to think. We need noise. We need to focus on yelling at the top of our lungs in order to be heard. That’s how we’ll survive.” She surprises herself with her control and composure.

Clearly feeling reassured, Cody and Carlene find it in themselves to stop the tears. They look at her for the first time in a while, which makes her feel important and useful. She knows they trust her. They refocus their attentions to yelling at the top of their lungs.  

“Help us! Help!” Carlene screeches.

“Please help! Please!” Cody yells.

“Somebody! Help!” Anastasia adds.

All their combined screams sound like a zoo. They continue the screams, desperately waiting for help. The water rises to Cody and Carlene’s shoulders, but Anastasia… well…

“Help,” she coughs, having to swim in order to hold herself up. “Help,” she yells as loud as she ever has before, knowing that that’s the last she can do. She feels herself pulled under the water, the sensation of the cold, dirty liquid all around her. She wonders if she’ll wake up in the afterlife. Will she wake up in peace?

“Oh my!” Cody and Carlene hear, from a voice that sounds young. 

“Everyone remain calm!” A loud, male voice reassures.

“Help her!” Cody yells, pointing to Anastasia.

“On it!” the man yells, swimming into the cave and carrying Anastasia back to land. He carefully lays her on the ground. 

“Huhhhh,” Anastasia gasps, finally breathing in sufficient air. She inhales the fresh, outside air and has never been so thankful for it. The taste of the cool, fresh air soothes her. She quickly jumps up and turns, seeing a man, accompanied by the same little boy she passed by on her way to the cave. The little boy nods to her.

“Where are Cody and Carlene?” she asks. 

“I have to carry them out of the cave, just like I did for you. If it weren’t for my son who heard you, we wouldn’t have been able to save you guys.”

Anastasia sees the little boy in the red boots whom she passed by on her way to the cave. “Thank you!” she happily states.

The little boy nods toward her. “I’m Kyle. When I passed you, I was looking for my dad. When I found him, the flood started, so we had to hide in the tree. We almost left, but then I heard you and immediately recognized your voice.”

“I’m Anastasia,” Anastasia replies. “I can’t be more thankful for you!”

The little boy smiles.

Anastasia realizes that she has found a friend. Not only has she found one friend, but she’s found many friends. She has also helped two people who struggle mentally and physically manage their anxiety.

Hearing footsteps, Anastasia turns around. 

“Anastasia!” Carlene calls out. 

“We’re so happy to see you! Without you, we wouldn’t have escaped the cave!” Cody adds.

Anastasia truly feels satisfied with herself for the first time since she’s moved here. She can now hold her head high knowing that she’s done something to help others and that she’s overcome her loneliness. 

“Let’s get back to our families,” Anastasia offers. “They must be worried.”

“Definitely,” Cody replies, agreeing. 

“But we must see each other again. We’ll keep in touch,” Carlene adds. 

“We will, for sure,” Anastasia complies.

The three survivors collect each other’s contact information before returning home, going their separate ways. Even though the day will soon end, the memory of overcoming a trial together will forever last.