More Than Words | Teen Ink

More Than Words

By samanthaschapman, Honolulu, Hawaii
samanthaschapman, Honolulu, Hawaii

Summary:

June works at her local movie theatre and works there with a girl named Alana. They have grown closer over the couple months that they've been working together, but June has made a point to keep Alana seperate from the rest of her life. At the same time, June's family life has begun to sprial downward with her dad acting increasingly troubled and violent after the loss of his father. It all comes to a head one night after June's night shift at the theatre. During her shift, she gets a text from her sister giving her a heads up that their parents are fighting for when June returns home. Alana notices something is wrong but doesn't push too hard; she ends up surprising June with an impromptu movie night at the theatre in order to cheer her up. When June does get home, though, she walks in on her dad clutching a broken bottle, her mom no where to be found. She flees her appartment and runs to the police station, only stopping inside to report the incident before collapsing hopelessly outside the building. This is where she runs into Alana, who is on her way home. June finally breaks down and tells Alana about her problems and family life that she had been keeping from her, and they admit feelings for one another with a kiss. The lady at the police station tells June that her mother was taken to the hospital, and she and Alana go over together to see her. A week later, June is in a car with Alana, going to a surprise location. They talk about the aftermath of that night and then enjoy a picnic underneath the stars. 

samanthaschapman

More Than Words