The Sinnerman | Teen Ink

The Sinnerman

December 27, 2020
By Anonymous

Author's note:

This short story is not meant to glamourize mental illness, nor is it meant to demonize it. I wanted to depict how contagious cyberstalking can be and to show the reality of my main character's mental struggles. Stan is not meant to represent any group or individual besides himself. Trigger warning: this story does mention a suicide attempt as well as other mature topics. Reader discretion advised. 

The author's comments:

strong language warning


     I am everywhere. I strike when least expected. I am unyielding. I am….Late for dinner?

My mom’s calling me from downstairs. That’s right. I am 32 years old and i still live with my mother. I am the zenith of losership. My room is equivalent to most middle school boys’. I play (

insert copyrighted names of) video games every day and night. I had no ambitions whatsoever. Nothing in my life was going to change….Until today… 

      As I clambered down the stairs and sat down to roast beef and mashed potatoes, my mother’s boyfriend, Stu, wrinkled his nose. 

“What is that smell?? He asked, pretending as if he didn’t already know. I hate Stu. His tweed suits, his mustache and glasses. And people said I looked like a pervert.

My mom, who’s a heavyset ginger like me, shrugged and dished me up.

“I don’t know, babe. What does it smell like?”

“Like..socks. And piss. Mary, tell your son he needs to shower.”

“He’s a grown man, stu, I can’t make him do anything.”

“Well if he wants to live under this roof, it’s common courtesy to wash up. Speaking of living under this roof, tell him the thing, mary.”

“What thing?” 

“The thing we talked about last night.”

“Oh. Right.” My mom turned to me. “Sweetie, Stu and I have come to an agreement. You have to-don’t make me, Stu, I can’t. My little boy.”

“Is a grown man now, Mary, as you’ve said yourself.” Stu said. “Listen, Stan, you’re mother and i were talking and we decided that-”

“You’re not my dad,” I said. 

“What? Of course i’m not, just-”

“I said, you’re not my dad, how dare you take his place,” I said.

“Buddy, that’s not what’s happening here,” Stu said with his “nice guy” voice, which I hated. 

“Don’t ‘buddy’ me, Stu. I’m not your buddy.”

“Listen, pal-”

“I’M NOT YOUR PAL EITHER!” I bellowed.

“YOU HAVE TO GET A JOB OR YOU’RE OUT!” stu bellowed back, his peaky face was now beet-colored. 

I sat agape. I was in shock. Ultimatums were not my specialty. Especially one such as this. Get a f*cking job? I didn’t even know how to do my own laundry. Mom paid for everything and did everything for me except wipe my ass. I refused to believe stu. 

“That’s not fair. Mom.” I groaned. My mom looked as defeated as I did. It was clear that none of this was her idea. “Stu sweetie, i told you what would happen. He’s not ready.”

      “Not ready?” Stu was incredulous. “How the f*ck could he not be ready? When will he be then?” Mom didn’t have an answer. “I don’t know, Stu, maybe in four or five years.”

“Four or five years? Mary, come on. He’s got to learn responsibility somehow. He-” Stu wheedled. I was fed up at this point. Anything to end the conversation. “Fine! I’ll get a job. Happy?” I asked. Mom looked surprised. No way would she have expected this in a million years.

The author's comments:

trigger warning: mentions suicide

As it turns out, job searches are harder than I expected. Especially for someone who’s never worked. It is safe to say that I never have left the house since high school. About high school: I had dropped out to do independent study at home after an incident sophomore year. I got..fixated on some cheerleader. Would not leave her alone. Nonstop texting, direct messaging across all the Instafam, Tapchat, and Facelook platforms, relentless calls, to her house, to her parents’ workplaces, you get the idea. 

     She begged me to leave her alone, and her boyfriend threatened to beat me up.  I wasn’t fazed because I was twice his size. Let’s just say it was a difficult year for my mental health. (Understatement). Anyways, all this led to a restraining order, which I violated, which would have got me in jail if my mom didn’t spend her life savings on an attorney who proved I was insane. The judge had me go to a mental hospital instead, and to participate in court-ordered therapy and 50 hours of community service at an old folk’s center. Since then, I’ve never really left the house. I am still in therapy, but I usually meet with him once a month, and that’s while I’m playing my games. I like to multitask. That’s why I can’t go outside. Because I’m a stalker. Like my gaming username, I am a sinnerman who relentlessly targets his prey until they yield.

     I never agree to meet with my gaming buddies in person because not only is there a chance they might know who I am, I want to protect them from me, so to speak. Of course, Stu doesn’t know any of this. All he knows is I’m a classic case of “failure to launch” syndrome and I’m deeply troubled, but luckily he doesn’t know the extent nor the why and how. If he did, he'd never let me hear the end of it. No matter how much my mom seems to like him, I will never see him as my dad. My mom doesn’t even know who my dad was. Apparently she doesn’t even remember the day I was conceived and she said it could have been anywhere between 5 different men, none of whom she has the contact info for and none of whom’s DNA did she think to save. That’s probably what started my stalking career: 12-year-old me spending my mom’s credit card on scam websites that claimed they could track down lost parents. 

     What I said about getting a job? I lied. I was going to keep doing what I was doing, and claim I worked from home. I told Mom and Stu that I was a sales representative, and I made a do-not disturb sign on my door so they couldn’t barge in on me. My new life rocks. All I have to do is play video games and now no one can bother me. When I’m livestreaming a game, I tell Mom that my talking is me talking to customers. Mom couldn’t be prouder. In my experience, it’s better to lie to get people off your back then outright refuse to do what they want.

      One day when I was “working,” I was completely bored. Mom had yet to pick up my antipsychotics from the pharmacy and it was a low day for me. I thought that it would be a good idea to make a new Instafam account under a different name and to message Tiffany, the cheerleader I stalked. I called myself “Randy” and messaged her. “Hi,” was all I said. I then liked her latest selfie. Tiffany was in college now, and all her accounts were set to public. Guess some people never learn. She was begging to be prey. Who could blame me? I remember the night she tearfully implored me to stop contacting her. Like that was going to happen. We were meant to be and nothing she said could have changed that fact for me. I threatened to kill myself if she didn’t talk to me, because what was the point in living? Whenever she or anyone condemned my behavior I just told them they had no understanding of mental health. Never mind that they said that mental illness doesn’t excuse my behavior. My phone pinged. Tiffany replied to my message. “Hey,” she said. I smiled impishly. And way down to the bottom of the depths we go….

 

                                                                  A year later….

 

You;ve guessed it. I am hospitalized again, this time in the state institution for the criminally insane. Don’t feel bad for me, or anything. It’s seriously awesome. Like a villain in a comic book or something. As I was quietly contemplating in my cell, the orderly brought my mail. A purple envelope with my name on it, and no return address. I opened it up:


Stan,


Before you start making your excuses, know that I am not a victim anymore. As you have made my life a waking nightmare, I’ll happily do the same for you. After all, if we’re meant to be together, nothing you say can change that. You told me that once. 


P.S Enjoy the asylum.

-Tiffany


Somewhere I could hear one of the nurses playing piano. Nina Simone’s “Sinnerman.”


Oh Sinnerman

Where you gonna run to

Oh sinnerman 

Where you gonna run to

Where you gonna run to

All on them days



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.