Just Under the Surface | Teen Ink

Just Under the Surface

By MariaMarie DIAMOND, Washington Court House, Ohio
MariaMarie DIAMOND, Washington Court House, Ohio

"Life's a mountain on a beach"-Unknown
"Will: This is either madness or brilliance. Sparrow: It's remarkable how often those two traits coincide."-Pirates of the Caribbean:Curse of the Black Pearl.

Author's note: When I was going to a Baptist church, I babysat for my Pastor and his wife... the children nor the events of that day were nothing like this story but it got me thinking along those lines. The kids were wonderful and adorable... I wanted to place that into this story but still make it nothing like the real thing while keeping it completely realistic. As I thought about it, I decided to wrap the entire thing around one piece of advice I was using most at the time for myself and others: everything on this earth has a secret just under the surface that it doesn’t want seen.

Opening our white front-door, I let my white sandal clop against the gray wood of our porch. The yellow and white under-cloth of my dress wrapped around my knees; the wind became jealous and joined into the billowy embrace. My mother’s chimes sounded their song as I walked by the pink and white swing. I hopped down the three steps with my usual grace and let my bible bounce against my hip in its brown case.
Today was a beautiful day… the light blue sky was splashed with clouds of cotton- candy, the trees whispered to one- another, birds sang to their young up in high and down in low nests. A butterfly played with my sun-bleached- brunette hair. What a wonderful day to be out.
Up ahead was the church, sitting like a shaded lemonade stand in the midst of a heat smothered water- park. Its baby- blue walls glittered in the sun’s rays, the parking lot an ants colony filing in. For such a small, quiet town, Faith’s Baptist was always filled to its high ceiling with fellow Christians.
“Sandra!” I heard in a soft, high pitched voice. Mrs. Nugshall waved from the other side of the street. Her smile stretching her lips to their fullest looked as if it would pull a muscle. But we all knew that wouldn’t happen: It wasn’t a secret that you could always count on Lynda Nugshall for a great and true smile on the grayest of days.
“Hello!” I smiled in earnest, “How are you doing this morning Lyn?”
“Well, I’m doing just fantastic! The grand-kids and I are heading down to lil’Kin Creek after the service; gonna have ourselves a nice little picnic- oohh I can’t wait! Can you imagine what the water will be like on such a fine day?”
I laughed, “Oh, what beauties it will hold in store for ya’ll. Just be careful of any little secrets it may be waiting to show; I heard that the waves have been pretty strong lately. And everything on this earth has a secret just under the surface that it doesn’t want seen.”
“Thanks for the tip deary.” Her smile grew even larger, “My, my, what a wise girl you are for 16 years.”
“Nah,” I grinned “I’m not wise, you just think I am.”
“And everyone else in this lil’ town who comes runnin’ to you with problems and advice needin’ “ She looked at me with that quizzical eye-brow.
I laughed a small chuckle and went off to enter the cool air-conditioned sanctuary. Along my way, I shook hands with our Pastor, Gerand Kenal, a few teenagers in my youth group, and many older people who wouldn’t let me get away without a soft, warm hug. I love the people here in our church; they’re warm, welcoming, and tender- hearted.
As the piano began its soft introduction, I made my way to the choir and picked up a white- bounded hymn book.
“Hey Miss. Beshell” Whispered a young women of thirty with reddish-brown hair, “Can I steal some of your time after the service this morning?”
“Of course Mrs. Kenal!” I wheezed back, a cough forming in my throat.
She smiled at me and went back to flipping through sheet music. I wonder what she would like to discuss… I do hope it’s not the absence of my Mama or Papa. Sometimes they miss church to go work in the fields around the town; there are some people who don’t approve of this… though they tend to keep it un-obvious.
The service was just as beautiful and breathtaking as the morning was. I could still feel the rhythm of the music flowing through my blood and the Preacher’s message dancing through my head as I walked down the porch steps to our Pastor’s wife, Helan Kenal. The day was still awestruck but I had to wonder… not everything can stay so perfect for long… when would the storm brew? But that was not the main matter at hand. Mrs. Kenal had spotted me and gave a wave that was accompanied with a wink.
“Gerand and I have to go out of town tomorrow, and I’m afraid to take the kids with us: We’re attending a formal dinner reception for Pastors, and I was wondering if you wouldn’t mind babysitting them for a few hours?” She looked at me questioningly.
I thought quietly to myself… I have babysat cousins before, and I have helped babysit for short intervals when my friend’s parents had to go out and their siblings got left behind. Plus, I work in the nursery when it’s my turn during church and occasionally help with Jr. Church… all the kids love me. I think it would be exciting to break away from the hassle for a little while and enjoy the presence of young children.
“Sure,” I said with a grin, “I’d love to.”
“Great! Thank-You so much sweetheart! I will drop them off about six tomorrow and be back around ten to pick them up. Just check with your parents and let me know if it’s okay.”
She walked away, her black high heels leaving little holes in the soft, grassy ground.
I smiled and half skipped the whole way home.
That night I was in such a buzz; I needed a nice break with something I loved, and Helan gave me that brake. I made my favorite meal: homemade meat-loaf, mashed potatoes, even homemade gravy. I went over the details with my parents while we sat down to dinner. I knew my father wouldn’t mind much, though he would pretend like it was a big deal. My mother would be the harder one to convince; she was so protective. But eventually, I got them both to agree. It was harder than I initially thought it would be, because both my parents happened to be going out of town also… I had forgotten that my mother had a class- reunion. But I reminded her that our neighbor, Mrs. Nugshall, lived only about five minutes from us in case of an emergency.

The next morning was relatively quiet: a boring Monday during the fall vacation. I was happy to have a week off of school… eleventh grade already had my head spinning from busyness.
I took a step across the white and black tiled kitchen floor, it felt chilly against my bare feet. I was so hungry! Hmm.. but I didn’t know what to eat. After I searched the yellow fridge and dismissed cereal, oatmeal, and toast, I grabbed a banana off the Oak-Wood counter and a cold glass of milk. I pushed open the back screen door and felt the warm welcoming from the sun. Behind the sun’s smile hid a light grey cast that was calling to me. I went over and sat on the trampoline’s edge to watch the world turn. Leaves blew across the ground and a cat was slinking in and out of the wired fence.
I spent the rest of that day in a trance-like state: lay out on the trampoline and stared at the life God was making, followed a squirrel chasing a squirrel- one stopping before it crossed the little dirt-road out-front of my house. Around two, I plugged in my I-Pod player and turned the music up while I cleaned the house and got some movies ready for that night. Finally, the clock turned to five-thirty. The day had passed as if I had gone to Narnia… every time I had looked at the clock, I was shocked to see no time had hardly passed.
I heard knocks on the wooden door and jogged through the living room to answer.
“Hello Sandra!” Mrs. Kenal had on big sunglasses and one of the cutest knee-length dresses.
“Hello Helan.” I smiled, “You look so pretty!”
She blushed and glanced down, “Well, thanks sweet-heart!”
“Come on in!” I said to the kids, sweeping the door back with my hand.
A small head covered with wavy, brunette hair rushed past me and into the hallway. Her hand brushing my thigh. “Come on guys!” yelled lil miss seven- year- old , Sierra. She looked back with those big baby-blue eyes that she and her mama share.
Don giggled and grabbed Jonathon’s hand as she half- skipped across the doorway. His little feet just managed to keep up with her ballerina- like movements. I began to wonder what I had gotten myself into… a seven- year- old, a six- year- old, and a three- year- old… then for some odd reason, I randomly began to crave pizza… Caesar’s Pizza. Yumm sounds so good right now.
“Well, I’ll be off.” Said Helan, “See you in a little bit sweetie!” And she hopped down the steps to their green van.
I walked inside and let the screen- door close gently on its own. “Alright kidoes, lets go see about a movie while I figure out some dinner.”
Don climbed onto the yellow love seat while she twisted her bright, golden hair around her fingers, John made his way to the dark wooden rocking chair, and Sierra threw herself onto the fluffy, red carpet. I told them all to get comfy and tossed a green, lace pillow and blanket to Sierra. They had all been here before when our families had dinner together, so I didn’t have to worry so much about making them feel homey. After some debate, I popped in Garfield the Movie.
I began to search through the kitchen as I listened to the orange cat daunting the little naive puppy… I hadn’t thought about food; how foolish. My earlier craving for pizza came back and my stomach let off a three-headed dog’s growl; as if it too had something valuable to protect. I grabbed my cell phone and scanned through the address book. Stopping at ‘Pizza Palace’ I hit the little green phone. Not only did I order a large hand-tossed pizza, half extra cheese and half sausage + mushroom, but I ordered garlic bread and some chocolate dippers. The kids became ecstatic when I told them, Garfield even took a back seat...ironically, he took a backseat in the movie too.
A knock came from the door about fifteen ‘til seven. I opened it with some money my parents had left me in my right hand. But I was surprised to see one of my friend's freckled faces starring back at me. It was Lexie: She, like me, is 16 and in eleventh grade. She’s also the kids’ cousin.
“Hi Lexie.” I said uneasily, she knew I was babysitting and not supposed to have friends over.
“Hey San.” She smiled “Mind if I come in?” I must have made some kind of face because she followed with, “Don’t worry, your mama asked me to check-up if anything seemed out of the ordinary and see if you wanted any help or company. And since we are supposed to have a storm rolling in, I figured I’d stop by on my way home from the swim meet.”
“Oh!” I replied, somewhat relieved, “Well, everything is calm and I think we’re good… I didn’t know we were supposed to have a storm.” I sidled out beside her and scanned the sky. It was a clear day turning to night. The sky still had that gray cast but a cascade of oranges and pinks covered it, saying, don’t worry, I’m only here to show you a beautiful smile and laugh. Then I laughed. Lexie looked at me with a bit of a perplexed face.
“Lexie, it doesn’t look like a storm is approaching. In fact, it looks as if it will be a very calm night.”
She looked at me with a raised eye-brow, “Well… alright. But just watch yourself. Remember what you always tell me Sandra: Everything on this earth has a secret just under the surface that it doesn’t want seen?”
I looked at her, “Do I always say that?”
She nodded. Then with her black hair whipping, she turned and bounded down the stairs. With a wave, she jogged down the sidewalk and disappeared onto another street. I turned to go in then heard a car stop. Turning around I saw a red beaten- down car with a triangular sign on the top: The pizza was here! I smiled big, pushing aside a troubled thought; One of my best things.
The cute pizza guy looked around nine teen with a tan face, deep- brown eyes, and brown hair with a wonderful tint of red.
"Heya Miss." He had one of the cutest grins!
"Hi..." I smiled dumbly. Then physically shook my head as I counted out the money directed. Warm heat caressed my hands when he handed me the pizza and sat the other boxes on top. Then he glided up the stares with a neat trip on the top one, laughing at him self while he regained balance, he glanced back and shook his head,
"You gonna stand there all day Missy?"
I couldn't help but laugh and walk up after him. It only took him three large steps to cross the gray porch and open the screen door with ease. I walked through and he shut it quietly.
"Have a good day and enjoy your food."
I didn't even have time to say thank-you before he was already back on the side-walk.
Outside the chimes cried greatly and I shut the door... though it took a little bit of extra strength than I thought it would.
Turning, I bumped into the wall instead of through the doorway. I hollered to the kids that the food was here while trying to hold back giggles. They gave a big cheer. Suddenly, something fell into place inside me. I shook my head once more but this time let the shake go deeper.
I placed the boxes of luxurious smelling food onto the table and went to the kitchen. Trotting to the fridge, I pulled out a gallon of cold apple- cider. Then, my hand touched cold metal as I pulled out four glasses and plates from the top cabinets. Napkins I hadn't seen fell all around me... I hadn't known they were there but they really wanted to be used. I scooped them up and carried them with the plates and cups.
Lexie's voice popped back into my head: Everything on this earth has a secret hiding just under the surface that it doesn't want seen. So what was hiding here tonight?
I sat down a plate in-front of each chair. Johnathon was trying to heave himself up. I smiled at his effort and pulled him the rest the way onto the tall, red- oak chair. Don had grabbed a napkin and shoved a third of it down her shirt while Sierra sat quietly, scrutinizing my every move. A light of intelligence swam behind that child's eyes. Something she got from her Grandmother, who happened to be one of the most treasured drama teachers our school has ever had.
Snap, the jug's lid popped off and the sweet smell of apples fluttered for a second in front of my face. I went around sloshing the golden brown liquid into every cup. When the light hit the stream, it had a nice tint of red. My thoughts went back to the Pizza Boy... then that last puzzle piece fell in place as my thoughts came spilling in: The truth, is that I will find some guys very cute, and some very handsome. Every girl does at one point; it's just something that happens on this planet. But what those feelings don't want us to see, is that they are just mere feelings that won't last... we waste valuable time on those feeling's selfish needs rather than on important ones in our life that will actually get us somewhere. I smiled a cold smile as I thought this. I let out a sigh and shook the vengeful feeling away with an innocent grin.
The smell of garlic twisted its way amongst the sovereign smell of melted cheese and spicy meat. Chocolate lingered around it. My stomach was past rumbling so much that my mouth decided to assist it by making me thirst for the wonderful delicacies. On each plate I put a slice of hot pizza, a garlic bread slice, two dippers, and a nice pile of chocolate sauce. Looking around the table I saw the same feel of hunger in each eye available to look into.
"Lets bless the food and then dig in!" I screeched with enthusiasm, "Dear Father, thank-You so much for this wonderful food and this beautiful day. Please allow this night to continue to go great and for the safe return of all our parents. We love you Father and thank-You so very much. Amen"

By the time we had finished eating, there were four faces splattered with pizza sauce and four hands covered in chocolate. Garlic powder, if it were lucky, had landed in random areas. While Don washed her hands, I was cleaning the messiest of all; John had really had a field day with his food! Sierra was back in the living room, in the process of starting the movie. I began to clean up while a group of dogs were barking and barking. I laughed at the thought of how much joy I got from when I first saw that movie.
I caught a glimpse out the window and froze... The sky was almost jet black and leaves were going insane. Trees limbs were crying and snapping in protest at the wind. Taking a step closer I snuck a peak at the clock by the window. It was about eight o' clock. It shouldn't be this dark yet. Butterflies began a flight in my stomach and snakes woke in my feet, slithering around, not happy to wake in an enclosed space.
I began a one- girl parade around the house, saying silent prayers and keeping in the shadows so not to disturb the children. I will not call mom and dad. Besides, they're out of town anyway. And there's no need to call Mrs. Nugshell out of her warm and safe home to come over on a whim of fear. But I still want to take precautions...
I hopped on one foot into my parents room, my little toe was throbbing... how I managed to stub it I couldn't say. I grabbed a light blue candle from my mother's night table, and a lighter from my father's. Then I made my way to the living room where I tip-toed across the oblivious living room full of oblivious children and found some extra batteries and the flashlight on the mantle-piece. Setting these items into the bigger- than- average- vacant hall- closet, I ran to the press and grabbed out three thick quilts and four pillows. I tossed them into the closet as well. We never could figure out what to do with that closet... often, when I was a little girl, I would treat it as my own private house. Whenever there were bad storms approaching, we would hang out in that little house. Mama and Daddy would tell me that it was a special day and they were going to sleep over and we would have tons of fun playing games together... and that's exactly what we always did.
I heard something outside... the wind was picking up; leaves scraped against the walk and porch, lose debris flattened itself against the windows. A small bubble of panic was being blown into my stomach by an empty, blue mask who whispered secrets to me.
I slid into the laundry room and caught myself on the dryer: A box of fabric softeners falling on my head. Quickly pivoting, I snatched the little battery- operated radio my grandmother suggested we keep handy, and tuned in to the news channel. Except... there was no channel. I grabbed the house phone and put it to my ear... the line was dead. The small bubble of panic grew to a medium sized bubble of fear and worry. I tried my cell phone... there was no service. My breathing became unorganized. This is bad.. this is really, really bad! My feet were wearing tracks in the floor. Then that bubble receded... a cold calmness took over my thoughts. Finally! This is the state I do my most reasonable thinking in!
A crunching, sickening sound came from outside. I ran to the door and glanced out: One of the abandoned buildings across the street had something tossed through the window and it shattered as if it were... made of glass. it suddenly hit me that there was glass where the kids were, glass where I was. I was standing in-front of glass!
I walked briskly to the front room and turned off the movie.
"HEY!!!" They all shouted simultaneously.
I gave them a look that said, enough, be quiet and settle down.
"What's wrong?" Sierra asked, jumping up. Her voice held a thin thread of panic that made the other two jump up and cower around her.
"Nothing.." I said calmly with a small hint of friendliness, "but there is a storm outside, and I think we should head to the closet. I've got blankets and pillows and a flashlight. You can all make shapes on the wall!" I ushered them out just as the lights went off. Don let out a screech, and John started to whine. I got us all into the closet and locked the door. Turning on the flashlight, I saw that we would all fit just fine. I sat in the back corner, furthest away from the door. John climbed onto my lap while the girls snuggled to my side. It began to feel freezing cold... it was the internal freeze of fear. I grabbed the remaining two quilts that we weren't sitting on and wrapped them around us. The kids remained silent and so did I while we sensed what the world was finally revealing.
I could hear the wind beating against the house, could feel it creaking through the old floor. Destruction was waiting for the opportune moment. It had snuck up and hit when we weren't looking; while we were concentrating on the beauty. I should have seen it coming! How stupid I am!
That little voice whispered inside me again, Sometimes, we don't see things coming. And when they do, you stick through as best you can, with a calm mind.
The house began to shake... or maybe it was just us trembling.
I have a few secrets too... ones that were always just under the surface. I am surrounded by people who love me, people who I love... even if they aren't always physically right by my side, they are there. And I have Jesus on my side. I have a calm head that I use to my best of knowledge given to me by my savior. So no-matter what destruction does to me, I am safe in the end in love and warmth and comfort. Let it pour a mountain of pain on me, drop an ocean of icy water, blow a thousand hurtful words; it won't break me. As I said these thoughts out-loud, the kids watched and listened. When I stopped talking they looked at me and then snuggled closer. We were safe... we were comforted... we were warm.

The vibrations began to lessen and the loud, furious noises began to relax. I stretched my legs and needles pricked through them. I had been sitting still for about an hour longer than I normally did in an entire day. Looking at my cell phone, I saw that it was nine thirty. We would wait to see if things became more even.
Ten minutes later I felt no vibrations through the old wood nor did i hear much if any wind.
Five minutes later than ten minutes, I stood up and sat John between his sisters. Leaving the small closet with the command for them to stay, I walked through the hall to the side of the front- door where no glass was. Shadows rested and swayed on the floor and against the walls... trees from outside and curtains from in. It cast such an eerie feeling about the place that a pit of fear struck me and froze my hand inches from the door- knob.
With a surge of adrenaline, I twisted the cool metal and jerked back. The sky was a dark gray, the chimes swayed peacefully, leaves slowly slid across the brick pavement. There were lose news-paper pieces laying in random areas and some trash here and there. I remember a tip we were told once in science class.. when you're in the eye of a storm, such as a tornado, it is completely silent, it's calm. I wonder.. if this were a tornado... and if so, were we in the eye? A small bubble of panic began in my stomach again but then he swallowed it. I took a step off the warm carpet onto the wet, icy wood. A shock ran up my spine. The wind twirled around me in greeting.
I paced timidly to the edge of the porch and looked up past the roof: a tree's limb had been snapped and was half hanging in the electrical wires on a pole about a block away. Sparks were flying. Turning my head to look to the left, I saw a group of cats emerging from beneath a small cave under a group of rocks and shrubs; they must have taken refuge there during the heat of the storm.
I idly made my way back inside as I turned to see any upheaval I may have missed that the storm had caused. I took a quick scan of the back- yard. The fences gate had taken a frantic leap to try and save itself... but hadn't been able to release one arm, the trampoline's net hung lifelessly from two corners, the two big green trashcans had rolled over to greet my mother's flower bed: her lilacs had held strong though and stood through the rain.
I jogged back to the closest and slowly opened the door. If my estimation was correct, I had been observing the damage for almost fifteen minutes. Waving the kids out, I grabbed a white and blue fluffy quilt and wrapped it around them. We went into the living room and rested on the couch.
The clock struck, and struck, and struck, and struck, and struck, and struck, and.. well you get it.. it was ten thirty when our parents finally rushed through the door. We had never left our post. John lay in Sierra's lap sleeping while Don was curled up to her. I sat to the side wrapped beneath the same blanket but feeling miles away. My mind was with my parents, with Mrs. Nugshall and her grandchildren, with my grandparents, and with Lexie. I wondered how they were all getting along, how they faired through the storm.
When our parents rushed through the door we all jumped up, Johnathon would have tumbled to the floor if Sierra and Don hadn't noticed and caught him last minute. I ran into my mother's outstretched arms and tear- stained face. My father wrapped his arms around the both of us. Through my own tears I saw the kids getting the same treatment. I felt a smile begin to decorate my face.. no matter how old you are, there will always be someone you hold tight to. And I knew that no matter how old I became, i would always be my Mama's and Daddy's baby girl.
Mama led me to the kitchen and we all sat down around the table. Dad pulled out the hot cocoa and Gerand picked out enough mugs. They went to work on making the cocoa while our mother's held us tight.
"We would have been here sooner if they'd let us across the bridge!" Explained Gerand.
"But it had gotten so water logged they weren't letting anyone pass... " Added Helan
"Oh... we were so worried about you all!" Cried my mama, "If I knew this storm was coming..." She looked at me apologetically
"Now now, it's alright. Obviously they're alright and stayed standing." My father smiled.
Mr. Kenal laughed and agreed, "So, how did you take this crazy shock?"
They all looked at me expectantly. I pulled myself up higher into the chair and began to recount the evening starting with when we were eating pizza. When I had finished, Mama and daddy were practically beaming. They said we all handled it very well and they were proud. I don't know what there was to be proud of... I made so many mistakes. The kid's though, they did very well.
"Well, I think we're gonna be heading home." Said Gerand.
By the time all the goodbyes were spent and the trip to the van was made and we were all back inside, it was almost eleven thirty. I trudged my feet to the living room, coaxing my muscles to keep moving. A gentle weight fell on my arm,
"Honey, why don't you head to bed." It was one of those question commandments... and honestly, I was just too tired to argue. A giant's yawn escaped from my mouth... I wonder if one of those were hiding in me too. I turned into the opposite direction and let the end of my robe disappear up the stair-case.

A bird’s precious chirp floated through the window. I opened my eyes to a bright light piercing through the light- green curtains. My room was a-lit by the sun’s happy morning. I closed my eyes and turned over in my high, wooden bed. Wrapping my thick blanket and sheet tighter around me I let a slow yawn escape my lips. Last night’s adventure started to replay in my head. The blanket fell back and off the left side of my bed as I rose and climbed out. I walked to the far wall and pulled aside the ruffled curtain. Soft pinks rested in the sky and the grass was a rich green. A smile was gifted to my face from my heart.
I walked over to the wardrobe and picked out a pair of soft, lotion embedded socks my mother had gotten me from Bath and Body Works, then grabbed my pink and white checkered robe from the earthly- brown carpet where I must have let it fall last night. While slipping on the socks, I hopped to the stairs and then descended down; slipping one arm into the heavy cloth while the other slid along the banister.
Out of the fridge, I grabbed a bottle of cold water and then from the pantry, a big, yummy, blue-berry muffin. Milk, at the moment, was a bottle of vegetable oil on my tongue: It just didn’t seem appetizing. I strayed to the back yard and stood beneath the Oak tree. Squirrels were once more in another chase, a brown, Cheshire cat was slinking in and out of the fence, and someone on a bicycle just rode by.
I was only standing there, pondering how the world had un-surfaced and then resurfaced its secret so quickly, for about three minutes before a tanned, freckled face appeared around the side of the house.
“Hey!” I shouted with glee and ran to the fence.
“Ok, Chica, spill it!” Lexie laughed, “I hear there was some pretty busy moments last night. That big storm and everything... Also, I can’t help but wonder why my cousin won’t stop talkin’ about you...” She gave a her all- too- familiar- ‘I know something’s up and its gotta be something interesting look.’
I laughed and then grew confused, “Well... the kids were all doing really great... I mean, I don’t know what they would be talking about; unless it was something pertaining to Garfield-“
“No Silly! Goodness. My cousin, Josh. He said you seemed very nice and he liked that you could ‘shake away thoughts’ and become level- headed... whatever that means.”
“Oh... well... umm... I have no idea who Josh is.” I said, my voice quivering. Butterflies began to have a party inside my stomach again.
“He’s a pizza boy, I think he delivered your pizza last night... Anyway, we’re going down to the pier this weekend and you’re coming too, on my orders!” She smiled, “Now, lets move on to more important things: Have you decided to take your own advice yet?”
I looked at her: My mind was racing with so many thoughts that not one could be picked out. I felt like the mouth of a river rushing into a large ocean. If I had taken my own advice, Lexie would have stayed with us last night; we all would have had more confidence and our parents wouldn’t have been as worried if they knew she was with us. It had been stupid of me not to go by what I tell others... I was a hypocrite; and I didn’t want to be, “Yes, I will start to follow my own advice.”
Lexie beamed, some stress she had been hiding in her muscles lifted and she grew five feet taller, “Good!” She exclaimed.
Then Pizza Boy’s face, err, Josh’s face, came back into my mind’s eye. His voice came back to my ears and his calm, cool words. “And, I would love to go with you and Josh down to the pier tomorrow. Will we be with your sister and mama too?”
She laughed, “Like normal, it’ll be our best- friend parents, my sister, you, and now Josh since he moved to town.”
I laughed, “OK, sounds good. Your cousin may turn out to be a pretty awesome friend.”
“Mhmm. I think he will fit in just fine, and the two of you should get along pretty well. I think there are two people in this town now that people will count on a great deal. See, Josh lived in Denver until his dad lost his job. His mom passed away when he was like... three. They moved here to try and get back on their feet. To help out, Josh took a job down at Pizza Palace. Its kinda ironic... If he never came here, and never took that job, he wouldn’t have distracted you: if he didn’t distract you, you may have gotten inside and heard the news report about the big storm coming before the station got knocked out. Then, you would have had time to do something more before it did hit. He said you were in a daze for almost eight minutes while he just stood there watching thoughts play in your eyes.” With that she turned and jogged down the alley.
I shook away my confused expression and took a step toward the door. I plunged the last bite of muffin onto my tongue. A bird began a pretty song above in the trees.
What secrets was the world hiding just under the surface that we look over everyday? When will it finally want us to know those secrets? And when the times come... I wonder, what God will put in action, for which road he wants me to take during these revelations.
I looked up, and the clouds swirled a pretty picture for my memory to plant.