Achieving Your Goal | Teen Ink

Achieving Your Goal

September 23, 2012
By BarcaGirl, norwich, Other
More by this author
BarcaGirl, Norwich, Other
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments

It was where it all began. The small house overlooking the river, with the garden running for miles on around the outside, apple orchids at the bottom, and a pool to the side, flower beds planted neatly along the sides: pinks, yellows, blues and reds all by the fence. Window frames cleaned, shining white as if brand new, and the glass, spotless of finger prints and on the inside, everything inside was in its place, neatly arranged. It was the perfect house, with the perfect family. Two parents with successful jobs, with two well behaved children, a son and daughter. They were an ideal family everyone wanted to be. Never arguing when out in public, no fighting around others, no nothing, like the house, they too seemed to be well arranged, well ordered and well kept.

But it wasn’t real, none of it was. Yes it was real for some time, but things changed, people changed, she changed.



Five



The first day of school. Children hung onto their mothers, looking shy and nervous, not wanting to let go. Ashleighn, who was never shy when it came to new things, was indeed smiling at the idea of meeting new people.

Girls were dressed in pleated blue and white chequered dresses, with their hair tied in pigtails and ribbons, and with them they carried dolls.

Ashleighn made friends with a girl named Rebekah, she was shy but she was nice. She had light brown hair, tied in plats every day by her mum and brown eyes. She wasn’t the tallest in the class, but one of the smallest instead. They become best friends.



Six



A new year of school. Ashleighn and Rebekah play dress up every day. Ashleighn always pretended to be the princess, and Rebekah was always the prince. Other girls come and join in; Annie asks if they went to play with them, Ashleighn says no. She is left alone, and sits in the corner, practising what her mother had taught her in the holidays.

A new week begins, Ashleighn sits with her best friend, and they talk about their favourite television shows and what they had done at the weekend. Annie and the other girls come over; they too join in on the conversation. Ashleighn goes shy and wants them to leave. She doesn’t like Annie and her friends.



Eight



Girls begin wearing black knee length skirts with tights. No longer did they play dress up games, or running around games on the playground, but instead they had moved onto skipping games. Ashleighn didn’t like skipping games as she always got by the rope.

Boys play football on the field and run around. They wear shorts and get muddy when it rains. Ashleighn wants to play football with the boys; she doesn’t feel that she belongs with the girls.

Ashleighn finds a new best friend after Rebekah stopped playing with her. She likes Jessie, as she’s quiet and doesn’t speak much. She doesn’t go on about her life like old best friend did. Ashleighn likes her new best friend Jessie.



Ten



Jessie leaves school leaving Ashleighn friendless again, but she doesn’t mind, she likes being alone. Besides, she prefers playing with the boys anyway. So goes and plays football with the boys.

Girls wear a little make-up on their faces, and talk about boys. Old best friend Rebekah starts to wear make-up too, Ashleighn misses her old best friend.

Girls laugh at Ashleighn, they think that she shouldn’t play football, it’s a boys sport. Ashleighn runs into the toilets and cries.

At home Ashleighn asks her mum if she can have football lessons. Mum laughs and says

“What would you want them for; it’s a boy’s thing.”

She ignores her mum, she doesn’t understand. She doesn’t understand much about it anyway, so she asks dad. He says yes, and she starts on Saturday.

Dressed in her kit, dad drops her off at football. At first she’s scared, but big brother Jamie tells her everything will be fine; she jumps out of the car and finds the girls she’s to play football with.

She’s alone again; she doesn’t know any of these people. A medium height girl walks over to her, and says she’ll be her friend. Ashleighn nods her head. She has a new friend.

Mum picks her up putting a towel down on the seat. Ashleighn asks why, mum replies,

“I don’t won’t to get mud all over the seats.”

Ashleighn’s hurt about what her mum said. They drive home in silence.



Twelve



Liverpool’s her favourite team. Every time they’re on television she’s on the sofa, watching with her brother. She shouts when they score a goal; happy, even more when they’re winning. Her father too would watch it, and like his children, he would cheer when they scored a goal or when the opposition had a player sent off.

Her mother on the other hand, wasn’t a fan. She hated that Ashleighn had become so interested in the sport. In her eyes, her daughter should learn to become a lady. Someone well respected good mannered.



Ashleighn starts high school. Un-like before when she started primary school, the children weren’t scared, but instead they were excited. Excited about going to the big school, for it meant in a few years’ time, they’d be done with school and out into the world of work.

Ashleighn walks to school, alongside her big brother Jamie. She was glad she had him around, she’d be safe with him, and he kept her company. For the past two years he was the only person she ever really talked to. For none of the girls at school would speak to her, and the boys only played football with her.

She didn’t know anyone in her new form. She was the only girl from her old school, but there were a few boys she knew. Ashleighn sat in the corner by the window, looking out onto the outside of the school.

“May I sit here?” One girl said, standing by the empty seat of Ashleighn.

She had dark hair, tied in a ponytail, with blonde highlights on through the top. Brown eyes, high cheek bones, and rosy pink lips.

“Sure,” Ashleighn said, nodding her head at the same time.

“I’m Rachel.” She said holding out her hand for Ashleighn to shake.

“Ashleighn.” She replied moving her bag from the seat beside her, allowing Rachel to sit down.



Thirteen



Rachel had been her only real friend during the first year of high school. She still saw the girls from her old school in lessons, they were still popular, and still they were mean to her.

Ashleighn still played football every week on a Saturday with the team she had joined. In physical education at school football was her favourite. The teachers thought it was great that she had the ability and skill to play. Again the girls from primary school made their comments, but she learned to ignore them, not letting them get to her like they did before.

Rachel didn’t say anything about her playing football, for she was the one to teach her to not let the others get to her. She liked Rachel for that, her kindness.

Ashleighn wants to join the school football team, but isn’t sure about it. She doesn’t want to make a fool of herself in front of everyone else, but Jamie tells her she will be fine, so she joins.

Again she doesn’t know anyone, for she doesn’t really speak to other people other than Rachel, but she forgets about that and just plays the game she loves.



Fourteen



Ashleighn begins her third year of high school. During the summer she spent all her time perfecting her skills in football wanting to get better, and she did. Jamie helped her, always making sure she got it spot perfect until she moved on to the next one.

Sometimes when she played on a Saturday Rachel would come and watch or the boy’s football team would watch after their training was finished. She didn’t like it when they watched for they often put her off, especially when she knew who they were. They would stand on the side lines, cheering when her team had the ball, just like she would when she watched it on the television. They would shout ‘shoot’ when she had the ball near the goal, and most of the time she would be more interested in seeing who had said it instead of kicking it at the goal, trying to win the game.

It’s the year of choosing what to take for GCSE’s. Ashleighn has to choose four, plus triple or double science. Physical education’s her first choice, followed by history, Spanish, and child care. She’s looking forward to studying them next year.

It’s the first day back to school since the summer holidays. There had only been six weeks, but to Ashleighn, it feels longer. She dislikes the long breaks from school, she would much rather have shorter weeks off but more of them in the school year.

She has spent a lot of her summer playing football, either with her brother Jamie, or entering in competitions with her team. Over all it was five they had entered in, they had won two, came second in two and third in one.

Ashleighn plays centre forward, usually alongside Abigail who plays on the left. It has been her favourite position since she was little. They play in the colour red, with the numbers printed on the back in black. Ashleighn’s number is ten, it is her lucky number and Lionel Messi, her favourite player in the world also wears that number.

In some ways it’s been him who has inspired her to work hard at it, making her want to get better. She wants to be able to play at that level of perfection, so she will always push herself that one step further, hoping that one day someone will notice her.

The remaining days in the summer when she wasn’t out playing football, she spent with Rachel. Most of the time they had ended up just relaxing at the pool, or shopping in the city, Ashleighn wasn’t a huge fan of shopping, but Rachel always found some way to make it enjoyable. One weekend they had gone camping. The weather before had said it would be warm with sun, but they ended up spending most of it getting wet by the rain.

The first day back to school is continuously the worst, for it’s the day when you got your new timetables, new classmates, and have to spend the first two hours stuck in form listening to the teacher going on about the new school rules.

Ashleighn leaves her hair down, allowing it to fall past her shoulders. She doesn’t wear any make-up only lip gloss. Her white blouse is tucked into her skirt which is just above the knee, she wears her black V-neck jumper over her blouse, and the blazer over that.

Rachel knocks on the door, as Ashleighn grabs her bag.

“Ready?” Rachel speaks whilst fiddling with her hair.

Rachel has blonde wavy hair, just below the shoulders slightly shorter than Ashleighn’s. Her eyes are a grey misty colour, and lip a pale pink. She isn’t overly tall, but she is taller than Ashleighn.

Un-like Ashleighn, Rachel wears make-up. She never goes anywhere without it. Rachel’s not the type to wear loads, just a little bit of: mascara, eye shadow, eyeliner, lip gloss, and a light foundation.

The school is bustling with life, new students and old. The older students look relaxed and just stood around talking about what they did over the summer. New students however, stand in big groups of friends all looking nervous. But who can blame them, it exists as a new school to them which is much bigger than the schools they have come from, plus they are with students who are much older than them.

Ashleighn and Rachel walk through the school gates and into the building on the right, heading straight to the locker room. Their lockers are next to each other’s, and also besides their form room where they’re to go once the bell rings.

Like she always does, Ashleighn feels nervous. She’s nervous that people will talk about her or are talking about her behind her back, or that she’ll do something wrong and mess up, making a complete fool out of herself.

Rachel on the other hand feels confident. Ashleighn envy’s her in that way. For Rachel always knows what to say and when to say it. She is not afraid to make a fool out of herself, and mostly, she doesn’t care what people thinks of her. So for that, Ashleighn envy’s her. She wishes she can be more like Rachel, but she knows she’ll never be like her. They were just too different.

The only time Ashleighn ever feels confident, or isn’t afraid of what people think, is when she’s out on the pitch playing the game she loves. Only then does she believe she can be herself, and do what she’s born to do.

Rachel is laughing as she stands beside her locker as she watches the guys from across the hall have a boxing match. It’s something you can never get tired of at school, and at all times it makes her laugh.

“It’s good to see you again Rachel,” Luke spoke as he passes into the classroom.

He’s been crushing on Rachel for the past two years. Everyone knows it, she knows it, but he just hasn’t yet had the courage to ask her out. Ashleighn often tells Rachel to ask him out first, she likes him as well, so what difference would it make. But she says no every time, saying it’s not normal for a girl to ask the boy out, so she’s just waiting.

“Hey Luke, how was your summer? “She asks as she follows Luke into the classroom closely followed by Ashleighn.

Every year they sit in the same place. Ashleighn sits at the back in the corner, attempting to avoid the girls she so dislikes in her form. Rachel sits beside Ashleighn, and beside Rachel is Luke. All the popular girls sat at the other end of the class in the two middle rows, with the popular guys at the back beside Ashleighn and Luke, and everyone else just sit wherever there is a spare seat.

“It was good, didn’t do much, just spent most of my time playing football. I saw you at some of the tournaments my team was entered in.”

“Yeah I saw you too. You were great.” Rachel responds now tracing her finger through her hair like she always does when she is talking to Luke.

Flirting’s one of Rachel’s many talents, along with successfully scoring dates whenever a guy asks. It was only ever the one date, with nothing else after except just a peck on the cheek if she feels that he deserves it. Most the guys just think she is one of the popular girls that have just been booted out of the circle, but she isn’t. She’s just one of the girls who are naturally confidant in themselves and don’t care what anyone thought. Never has Rachel wished she is one of the popular girls, one of the girls who got whatever they want, who they want, and who run the senior year. It’s not in her interest, yes she is a girly girl who loves shopping for clothes and make-up, and going out with guys, but she isn’t the type who changed her image to fit in at the top.

“And the goal you scored was just great, it was like the best goal I’ve seen in ages.” She tells him putting on her high pitched girly voice.

“Alright people listen up.” Mr Dean, the classes form tutor, speaks as he walks through the door. “It’s the start of the new school year, and this time we want no school drama. This year we will be the best form, and we will be going on the trip at the end of the year, have I made myself clear? Now get back to chatting about what you did over the summer, or whatever else it was you were talking about.”

“Ashleighn, what did you make of his speech this year? ‘No school drama’ last year’s wasn’t really that bad was it, and besides, school wouldn’t be the same without it.” Rachel asks now leaning over onto Ashleighn’s desk, laughing silently to herself about it.

Last year had been the year of fall outs with best friends, over dramatic break-ups between boyfriends and girlfriends, fights over who has the best boyfriend and any other girl related drama. Students thought that it was funny to see, for it was like they were in their own teen drama on television. But the teachers thought otherwise, to them it was ruining the reputation of the school, so to try and raise the school’s reputation they cancelled the trip at the end of the year, and this year they seemed to be trying to do the same.



*



Rachel’s POV



I look carefully at myself in the mirror, making sure my hair and make-up is styled to perfection. My hair I left straight, allowing it to fall just longer than my shoulders, eyeliner and mascara wasn’t smudged and no lip gloss was on my teeth. ‘Perfect’ I think to myself I slip into my black heels that match my black halter dress which sits just above my knees, and descended down the stairs.

Luke’s waiting at the bottom of the stairs, wearing a white button down shirt with a blazer over the top and black jeans. ‘Boy does he look fine’ I thought to myself as a small smile escapes from my lips.

“Ready?” he asks taking my hand and kissing it gently as I reach the bottom.

I nod, taking his hand as I do so. My mum walks through into the hall telling me how beautiful I look, before leading us out into the cool night air. As neither of me or Luke is old enough to drive, mum offers to take us to the restaurant and pick us up when we’re ready to leave.

Opening the car door, Luke let me slide into the back seats and he follows after. We sit in silence for the journey, aware that my mother will probably listen to anything we say, so we sit still like five year olds do by sneaking glances at each other and smiling all the way.

Mum pulls up at the restaurant saying ‘good-bye’ and ‘have a nice time’. I say bye as I climb out of the car, and walk hand in hand with Luke to the front doors of the restaurant.



*



Luke’s POV



She looks stunning, mesmerizing; even more beautiful than she usually does. Why I didn’t ask her out sooner I don’t know, but now is better than never. The way her hair shines in the light is like the moon shining on a still river, her eyes; they sparkle like diamonds making me loose myself in them every time I look at her. And her smile, well it’s the most warming and most welcoming thing I’ve ever seen.

“You look beautiful,” I tell her as we made our way to the table.

“Thank you,” she replies, going ever so slightly red in the face. “You don’t look too bad yourself.”



*

I love her laugh, she’s been laughing all night long and not once has she stopped since we began talking. No longer was it just the flirty talk we’ve been doing for the past two years, but the more ‘I want to get to know you better’ talk.

And already I feel like I knew her more, more of her past, what she is interested in, and what she wishes to be in the future. For most of the time I’ve known her I thought that she was just one of those people who didn’t make it with the popular girls, but now I know she never wanted to be one of them, only herself. I now know that she is interested in sport, and that she didn’t just talk about it with me for the sake of it. She has a good sense of humour and laughs at almost everything that’s funny, but at the same time she’s also mature so she doesn’t laugh at something that would come across as racist or sexist, and I like that about her.

She has no specific hobbies, except for shopping which she does most weekends. Whenever she isn’t out in town, she is with Ashleighn. Before this date with Rachel, I always thought it weird that they were friends for they didn’t seem anything alike, Ashleighn’s the shy one who likes sport and Rachel’s the one who’s mad about shopping, make-up and boys.

But Rachel said ‘It doesn’t matter if we don’t like the same things or share the same interests, what really matters is that we’re there for each other when we need it.’

“Well it’s been a great night” I tell her as her mother drops me of at her house. “See you on Monday Rachel.”

“Yes, it’s been great. Bye Luke.” Rachel replies smiling.

I stand on the pavement in front of my house, watching as the car pulls away thinking of the date me and Rachel have just been on. Parts of me are thinking if I should call her when she gets home or if I should wait, and the other part was still think about Rachel.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.