The Sky's the Limit | Teen Ink

The Sky's the Limit

By CurlyGirl17 SILVER, Corydon, Indiana
CurlyGirl17 SILVER, Corydon, Indiana

Just wanted to point out that the italics for thoughts and emphasis didn't transfer; sorry for any confusion!

Chapter 1

Iris woke with a start as a thunderclap erupted through the skies, making her tiny cottage tremble. She winced, covering her ears as she kicked off her covers. It was too bad that the mortals got rained on, but up here the storms were twice as loud.

She stretched her sore wings with a grimace. She had to have made at least a hundred trips from the sea back to the sky to refill the clouds yesterday. Iris turned to grab her trusty pitcher in its usual place for another day of chores only to find it missing.

“Harpies…” she scowled.

Iris hurried out the door and headed for Olympus Central… maybe her sisters had hidden it there. Aello and Okypete tended to pass eternity by making her life difficult with their endless pranks. She felt a little sorry for them- she’d be jealous too, if one of her sisters was favored by her parents and constantly praised because she had important jobs to do, as opposed to being known as a no-good ugly bird girl. The twins’ looks were identical- stringy feathers, hooked noses and bony features- they practically deserved their appearance, as it complimented their bitter souls.

Squinting, Iris circled the palace courtyard and alighted on a mighty statue of Zeus. She scanned her surroundings- usually she would have found her pitcher by now, but the darkened clouds surrounding the celestial city impaired her vision.

“Hey, Iris! Decided to play hooky to deface some monuments? I understand, nature calls.”

She looked down to see Hermes looking up at her past his long nose with a grin, herald’s staff in hand.

“I don’t see why you’re so smug. In a week it’ll be my turn to be messenger, and I’d prefer my off-duty chore to yours any day- herding cattle? Have fun dodging cow patties. But anyway, I’m not skipping chores, I’m looking for my pitcher- my sisters must’ve hidden it again…” Iris trailed off, pausing to take another look.

“Well, you’d better hurry up. Those thousands of rainclouds aren’t going to refill themselves… Bird-brain…” Hermes smirked as he began to walk away.

“Heh… Bird-brain. Clever! Did my sisters help you with that one or did you come up with it yourself?” Iris rolled her eyes.

She soared past him, deciding to continue her search elsewhere.

Hermes’ curled lips broke from their usual sneer into a frown as he narrowed his eyes at the statue of his father. “He catches me ‘behaving recklessly’ and ‘shirking my responsibilities’ once and I’m demoted to ‘Hermes- Patron God of the Herd’ and ‘Every-Other-Five-Hundred-Years Messenger’ alongside the Goddess of Rainbows. ‘Oh, she has wings! She can actually fly! Maybe full-time duty is too much for you to handle, Hermes…’” he thought. He paused to sniff the air as he wrinkled his nose, bending down to scrape the bottom of his winged sandal with his staff.

“I’d like to see her try to dodge cow patties…” he muttered.

Iris made her way through the marketplace. The ‘Big Twelve’ gods and goddesses that were important enough not to have to work enjoyed trading items that had to do with their hobbies. After she turned down Dionysus’ offer of a flask of wine, she approached Aphrodite.

“Hi, Aphrodite. Have you seen my pitcher?” she asked. A sudden rumble of thunder made her jump. “Ugh… what’s this storm about?”

“Apparently Hera found out about Zeus’ latest affair. Word on the street is it’s a mortal… he usually goes for the blonde variety,” Aphrodite replied, her big eyes twinkling with a gossipy gleam. Suddenly a streak of light illuminated the angry clouds below them, causing the Olympians in the marketplace to shriek.

“Lightning… Zeus must be really threatened now…” Aphrodite sighed, patting her once perfect locks, now an explosion of frizz. “Just be thankful you’re floating right now- you’d think he’d at least try to follow his own rules! He invented the forbidden intermortal love law.”

“I agree,” Iris shook her head, her spiraling tresses bouncing. “There’s nothing wrong with mortals, but to get involved with one…”

She shivered as Aphrodite chuckled.

“Did you ask me a question earlier?” Aphrodite wrinkled her brow. “Were you asking about my cart? My shipment of cosmetics just came in-” She grabbed a jar of lip balm. “Aphrodelighties!”

Iris laughed. “Sure, I’ll take one… but I was asking if you’d seen my pitcher. I think Aello and Okypete took it and hid it somewhere- I need to find it fast, or else I’ll be behind schedule and I’ll need to refill twice as many clouds tomorrow…”

“Hmm…” she thought aloud, handing Iris the lip balm. “Oh! Was it a big clay one?’

“Yeah! Painted black?’

“Yes, I saw one like it earlier today… oh…” Aphrodite crinkled her nose. “Now I remember where I saw it- your sisters must have given it away to Poseidon to hold his fresh fish in… or at least they were fresh a couple of days ago…”

“Great. Well, that’s not too bad; the pitcher smelled of sea water already… it could’ve been worse. Remember last month when they switched my pitcher with one of the men’s public chamber pots? Apollo said they noticed it was an impostor before it was used, but I scooped up the sea water with my hands and got a new pitcher the day after, just to be safe. This is no biggie.” Iris chuckled.

“Way to stay positive, girl.” Aphrodite smiled. “Hey! Would you like to try my new fragrance? Aromadite!”

Iris coughed as she spritzed the perfume. “Thanks, but I really need to get going…”

Hermes watched from the courtyard as Iris retrieved her smelly pitcher from Poseidon in the marketplace.

“Ugh… it’s been two thousand years and I still can’t believe I have to share my job with her. No one understands guys like us, do they, Eros?” he griped.

“Yeah… I personally think it’s entertaining to cause mortals to freak out by getting ‘em tangled up in star-crossed love triangles, but apparently everyone else finds it ‘impish’, whatever that means…” Eros squinted through his mop of hair, aiming one of his arrows at a target.

Another thunderclap shook the clouds, causing his arrow to just barely hit the outer ring of the target. Eros scowled.

“I wish he had to take punishments just like everybody else. Then it’d be bye-bye, mister big guy.”

“If I had a drachma for every time my dad cheated… I guess it shouldn’t bother me that much, considering I’m the product of one of his many affairs… but he makes the laws so strict! You can’t even ‘fall in love’ with a mortal without being sent to the Underworld…” Hermes said grimly, pursing his thin lips. “Oh, there is a whole list of people I’d like to send there, including Iris…”

He sighed pensively as Iris slipped through the clouds, ready to start her day. Eros drew another arrow back, focusing on his target. Just then, another lightning bolt sizzled underfoot as they yelped. His arrow shot miles into the air, then began speeding downward.

“Oh, shoot! I think that one’s headed in Iris’ direction! No one cares if I ruin a mortals’ love life, but I’d be in for a world of hurt if I got a goddess involved-” Eros began to fly off after it, but Hermes grabbed his ankle.

He smiled slyly. “Hold it… if we’re lucky, that arrow just might be my ticket back to number one…”

Chapter 2

Iris descended to the ocean on a shaky, foggy rainbow trail. Its once sparkling waves now churned violently in the storm. She clutched her large pitcher to her chest with one arm and shielded her face from the rain with the other as her soft white wings began to dampen. Hopefully Zeus and Hera would kiss and make up sooner than later.

Suddenly, something golden whizzed by her ear. Startled, Iris slowed to a hover, catching a glimpse of what looked like an arrow headed straight towards a red and white boat below.

Was Artemis practicing her archery in the courtyard this morning? Iris thought. No, she was in the market… wait, golden arrow… the only one who has arrows like that is…

Her eyes widened as she raced towards the arrow. Oh, no… a love arrow’s the last thing I need…

The boat grew larger at a frightening speed as Iris outstretched her arm- the arrow was just a yard away-

The end of it just grazed her fingertips as she hit the water right beside the boat.

Air escaped from her lungs as she sank.

That boat was full of mortal men.

The arrow flew somewhere on that boat.

If anyone finds out about this, I’m done for!

Iris’ mind switched from shock to panic as she felt her ankle get caught in something- rope rubbed her skin. She thrashed her arms and kicked her legs, desperate to free herself. Slowly she grew limp and lightheaded.

She had to be dead. But that couldn’t be, immortals can’t die… the world grew brighter around her as she felt herself being held by strong arms.

The light became blinding- she was emerging from the water, facing the sun peeking through the dark clouds. When she turned away, Iris found herself face to face with a mortal.

His striking green eyes startled her. Iris clung to him, unable to speak, blinking when a droplet of water dripped from a shock of his light colored hair onto her cheek. The man’s awed expression broke into a gentle half-smile.

The others on the boat heaved the full nets upward, for sitting on top of a pile of fish was a soggy angel in the arms of their crew member. Luckily for Iris, it was the sober man that rescued her.

Time unfroze as she and the man toppled over the edge of the boat, the mortals’ catch spilling onto the boat floor. The air was pungent with fish and the odor of a hard morning’s work, along with catcalls and rowdy laughter.

A rather large, hairy man stood guffawing above them. “Congrats on the catch of the day, Adrian!” He bent down, hands on his knees. “And what a fine catch she is…” His slurred speech and breath reeking of alcohol sent her scrambling backwards. The men roared with laughter at her frightened reaction. Iris suddenly became very aware of the length of her thin, rain-soaked dress.

“Back off, Louis.” Adrian said firmly. “Someone grab that spare coat from the cargo compartment. Jason, hand me your pocketknife.”

“Whoa-ho! Looks like Adrian’s callin’ the shots now!” someone called.

“Considering I’m the only one who’s recognizing that a winged woman is out of the ordinary, I think it’d be best,” He rolled his eyes at his crew members, stupid with intoxication, and accepted the pocketknife.

The sight of the blade sent Iris clambering in the opposite direction. She jumped up, only to be pulled back down by her ankle tangled in the net.

“Whoa, take it easy!” Adrian exclaimed. “Everything’s alright… I’m gonna get you out of this, okay?”

His voice was comforting compared to the cacophony of the others. Her heartbeat slowed as he slipped the blade under the rope loop ensnaring her, then cut the rope with one quick motion. Someone handed him the coat he requested, and he draped it over her shoulders.

“There… that’s better, now, isn’t it?” Adrian said.

Iris nodded a slow, small nod, perplexed. She tucked a strand of wet hair behind her ear, never taking her eyes off the man, as he did with her.

Had it really been five hundred years since her last messenger job? This mortal was different from any other she had encountered, although she’d never seen one this close before. Mostly she had sent messages to deities, nymphs, and the occasional mortal warrior or king. This man didn’t treat her like a goddess- he was protecting her.

“Of all places for an angel to land…” he said incredulously.

Iris began to feel nervous. Immortals are supposed to hold themselves to a higher standard. Earth and its inhabitants are to be maintained and governed, nothing more, nothing less. Since when could a mortal become so fascinating?

She swallowed, gripping the handle of her pitcher. She came to end this love arrow mess, not get involved.

Adrian stood to his feet, putting his hands in his pockets. “I got lucky, I guess,” he smiled charmingly.

Yes. He had to be the one that got hit. Poor mortal didn’t even know what that arrow had gotten him into.

Iris steadily rose, letting the coat slip from her shoulders as she continued to rise a foot or two off the deck. She glanced at the others- they would probably forget the incident by morning, judging by their vacant expressions.

Adrian’s jaw went slack as he gazed up at her with wide eyes. If her aim was right, the whole incident would become but a dream.

“I’m not an angel,” she said carefully. “Forgive me…”

She answered his confusion with a swift blow to the head, her pitcher shattering into bits. Ignoring the amused burst of laughter from the other men, she fled the vessel with a clumsy flapping at first, her wings damp and cumbersome and her face hot, refusing to look back at Adrian unconscious.

Iris couldn’t face any of the ‘Big Twelve’ now. Not yet, anyway. They’d sense her shame, and probably would be able to pick up the scent of ‘wet human’ from a mile away. There was only one immortal who she could trust with a situation like this. Iris flew in the direction of the tiny, secluded island of Aeaea.

Chapter 3

Knocking on the bamboo door of Circe’s island abode, Iris squinted in the sunlight up at the lavish, tiki-like mansion. She was doing pretty well for herself for being banished.

“Coming, coming…” Circe called from inside. She opened the door. “Iris! Long time no- oh…”

Iris hovered in the doorway, her clothes soaking wet, her hair both stringy and frizzy, and a stricken expression on her face.

“Girl, you look awful.” Circe raised her eyebrows.

“I need a new pitcher,” Iris said in bewilderment. “It’s kind of a long story…”

“Uh-huh…” Circe twirled one of her thin, beaded braids around her finger. “Well, goodness knows I have all the time in the world. Come on in; you can tell me about it while you’re picking out a new pitcher.”

Circe led her upstairs to a room full of pottery.

“Seems like just yesterday you came to replace the pitcher that your sisters switched with a chamber pot,” she laughed, sitting in a comfortable looking chair. “Take any one you like,” she said, pointing to a multitude of painted earthenware. “On the house.”

Iris stopped in front of a yellow pitcher, studying it intently and tracing her finger around its rim.

“Circe… have you…” she paused. “…met a human before? Not just seen one, or spoken with one briefly, like when I deliver messages, but really seen what they’re like?”

Circe laughed out loud. “Are you kidding? Didn’t anyone tell you why I was banished?”

Iris shook her head, moving onto a purple pitcher. “I haven’t heard anything about you, to be honest.”

She sniffed. “Figures. I was exiled as punishment for my ‘crimes against mankind’, more or less. A long, long time ago, it was kind of my ‘thing’ to turn humans into what they were- usually tended to be men into pigs. Personally, I think I was doing other mortals a favor- those men couldn’t run around acting brutish half as fast with those little stumpy legs of theirs, thanks to me. But yeah, it got me banished. ‘Mortals must be preserved, Circe. If we interact and intervene excessively it defeats the purpose of the distance- to maintain authority and respect. Not to mention your acts make us look really cruel. Now, if you’re going to act like a petty mortal you shall live like one. Be gone!’” Circe paused, shifting in her chair. “Why? Did you meet some nasty ones?”

“Well…” Iris scratched her head. “Yes and no. I was on cloud refilling duty when out of nowhere one of Eros’ love arrows flies past me, straight towards a boat! And I was far enough away that they probably wouldn’t have seen me if one got hit, but I couldn’t risk having to deal with something like that- I mean, my reputation!”

Circe rolled her eyes as Iris began to pace.

“Having a mortal in love with me is serious! I mean, I had nothing to do with it, but is it legal? Nooo… it’d be like the mortal equivalent of accidental death punishment!” she gasped. “I could get thrown into the Underworld! I’ve delivered messages there and I do not want to go back-”

“Hold on!” Circe threw up her hands. “Now, where does the ‘yes and no’ come in?”

“Right…” Iris set down the purple pitcher and examined a green one. “I chased after the arrow, but I ended up in the ocean… then I ended up on the boat with those awful men- they were drunk and rude and… everywhere, but first… I was rescued. His name is Adrian- he was very kind… and he had… what was it, the color of hair that Zeus likes on mortal women? I’ve only seen white, gray, and dark colored hair before… blonde! Yes, he had that color of hair. But, he-” Iris stopped mid-sentence and sat in front of Circe. “He was protecting me, Circe. That’s not how things work around here, right? But if that’s true, why did it seem so natural for him to…” she trailed off.

“I assume this ‘Adrian’ was the victim of the arrow, then. Peculiar behavior though… typically the ‘romantically wounded’ just stand stock still and ogle. We just gotta maintain the distance, I guess… The sky is the limit- anyone below it is a no-go. The more you mess with a mortal, the more they’ll mess with you.” Circe shrugged.

“That’s why I’m here, Circe,” Iris said. “I know you’re a sorceress- I need to reverse the effects of the arrow. I’m at the height of my career right now; I can’t afford to be slowed down by any complications or… distractions.” She glanced down at the floor, trying to ignore those green eyes seared into her memory.

“Atta girl, no pigs for you!” Circe laughed. “I’m all for helpin’ a sister out, and I think I know just how to go about it…”
-----

“Here we are!” Circe called out as they entered a dimly lit basement. Cauldrons sizzled and boiled and numerous wild animals, mostly pigs, roamed freely.

Circe answered Iris’ judging look by pointing to one of the pigs. “What? These are the originals- the spell had a longevity element. Now they can remember their mistakes forever. Can’t they? Now, can’t they?” she said in a baby voice, rubbing its back. “Okay, I get lonely. Anyways…” Circe leaned against a wall and crossed her arms. “Question- how attached are you to your wings and how much do you trust your sisters?”

Iris looked cautious. “Very and very little.”

“Maybe a better question would be how badly do you want this to go away?” Circe asked.

“Very badly.” she replied.

“Okay, then. Here’s the deal,” Circe began, straightening vials of ingredients on the shelves. “You can’t solve anything up here- you’re gonna have to return to Earth and hunt down that Alfred.”

“Adrian.”

“Whatever! Now, in order to do this without penetrating Zeus’ precious authority-respect-distance, you can’t do what you’re gonna have to do looking like a goddess. Plus, I mean, mortals tend to be very defensive. You were lucky the mortals you met earlier weren’t threatened by you, or else they would’ve shot you out of the sky and dissected you, or something.”

Iris’ eyes widened as Circe continued.

“Mortals don’t trust what they don’t understand. In order to fulfill your mission, you’re gonna have to blend in. Now, what about you is unlike a human?”

Iris bit her lip. “This is the part where I have to become unattached to my wings, isn’t it?”

Circe nodded. “You said it. I once created a potion that will make feathers shed and wing stumps shrivel into the back. Some don’t know it, but birds of paradise are awful pests.”

Her outstretched wings tucked behind her as she inhaled sharply. She sighed. “As long as you’re positive I can get them back afterwards. A big reason I’m doing this is to save my job, and it’d be kind of impossible without flight.”

“Of course, of course!” Circe exclaimed. “Now, once you take the potion, you’re gonna need to get down to Earth somehow. That’s where the harpies come in.”

Iris shook her head. “They’d never do me a favor, and if I explained what I was doing they’d sell me out for sure.”

“That’s why you bribe them. What would they like, shiny things?”

Iris chuckled. “Give ‘em a little credit, Circe- they have to be sparkly, too! But I’d think they’d be more interested in beauty potions.”

“Hmm…” Circe tapped her chin. “I don’t know if I have anything that strong… would they settle for a tube of wart ointment and a jar of hair removal wax?”

“Probably.”

“Okay, good, moving on. Once you get to Earth and find that man, it’s time to solve the problem. I don’t have any anti-love arrows, but I do have a potion that can erase memories, including memories of falling in love. Unfortunately, it expires in five days- that’s how many days would be wiped from his memory- so you’re on a race against time. Five days are up, you’re out of luck. You okay with that?”

Iris nodded. “I knocked him out by smashing my pitcher over his head, so hopefully he’ll just remember it as a dream. I just need to be sure those emotions are off the Olympians’ radar- they check Eros’ quiver periodically for missing arrows. If someone finds out what happened, it’ll spread like wildfire, and I know the moment Hermes heard the news he’d rat me out.”

“Rats, huh?” Circe said with a little smile. “Don’t you worry a bit. I’d be happy to pay him a little visit. I’ll let him know the second word of you and a mortal being in love leaves his lips, he’ll turn into exactly what he is. I’ll just leave out the fact that it has to be true for it to work.”

Iris smiled. “Thanks- but aren’t you afraid you’d get in trouble for leaving the island?”

Circe shrugged. “Nah… what more could be taken from me? Anyways, here’s everything you need… the ointment, the wax, your wing potion, and the Forget-Me-Now- that’s what I like to call it. Pick out a pitcher from upstairs and carry it all in that. Now, you better hurry- the Forget-Me-Now expires soon and one measly mortal could be tricky to find among billions. I wish you luck!”

Iris thanked her, flying upstairs. She dumped the containers in an orange pitcher and headed back to Olympus, her heart pounding, hoping the plan would go smoothly. One slip up could prove to be disastrous.

Chapter 4

Taking deep breaths, Iris locked the door of her cottage and pulled the curtains. She eyed the glass bottle sitting on her bed warily. It’s now or never.

Iris unscrewed the cap and sniffed the contents of the bottle. Tangy, yet sweet… she supposed that’s what attracted those birds of paradise. She swallowed nervously, then threw her head back and gulped it down quickly. She coughed as the thick liquid coated her throat. Iris began to fly off to the kitchen for a glass of water, then stopped when she felt a breeze on her back- her feathers were already dropping one by one to the floor. At this rate they’d be gone before she left home.

Grabbing her sisters’ bribes, the Forget-Me-Now and a note she’d planned to attach to her door, she suddenly cried out and fell to her knees as a sharp pain emanated from her shoulder blades. She gathered the items, gritting her teeth as she crawled out the door. She stretched with a moan from her crumpled state on the front step, locking the door and hanging the note on the doorknob.

‘“Unable to attend to chores this week, I am feeling very ill. Privacy please!’”

Iris whipped her head around and squinted in the darkness.

“Aello! Okypete?! What are you two doing here?” she panted.

They tossed some rotten eggs to the ground, their plans of vandalism spoiled.

“Nothing…” Aello smiled.

“Just visiting our ‘very ill’ sister, apparently. The Olympians’ll get a load of this-”

Iris cut Okypete off. “Okay, before you say anything, I need a favor from you two. I need you to fly me to Earth. It’s extremely important- I’m willing to pay you with cosmetics.”

Aello huffed. “We don’t need any-”

Okypete elbowed her in the side. “Get over yourself. We’ll take the stuff- my only question is why you can’t fly your lazy self down there?”

Iris cleared her throat, pointing to her back.

They peered in the darkness, then gasped.

“Are you stupid?! What did you do?!” Aello exclaimed.

Iris shushed her. “I’ll get them back; it’s necessary for what I have to do. You can’t breathe a word of this to anyone. Understand? I got you the cosmetics, please just take me to Earth, then come back in five days to pick me up.”

The harpies looked at each other slyly as they pocketed the ointment and the wax. Then they grabbed her under each arm.

“Sure… we’ll take you to Earth…” Okypete grinned.

They took off in a flash as Iris shrieked with surprise, her feet dangling in the air.

“Okay- okay-” she gasped, catching her breath. “We need to go straight down to the right of the courtyard, then to the nearest point of land…”

Her sisters flew to the courtyard in the night, then stopped suddenly. Iris’ stomach churned at the sight of the sea thousands of miles below. She realized great heights were far more frightening when she wasn’t in control of where she flew.

“Okay, and then straight down from here…” Iris said cautiously after a long pause.

Without warning, Aello and Okypete let her arms slip from their grasp, grabbing again at her wrists.

Iris yelped, her grip tightening on the bottle of Forget-Me-Now.

“Stop messing around! All I said was-” Iris stopped as her eyes widened. “No. You wouldn’t!”

“Sounds like Miss Perfect should’ve reworded her instructions…” Aello smirked.

“Please- please! I can’t swim!” Iris choked.

“Good luck delivering messages from the bottom of the ocean,” Okypete smiled wickedly, releasing her sister’s hand.

Iris shrieked, dangling from Aello’s grip.

“Straight down, it is!” Aello cackled, throwing her hands in the air.

Iris’ screams pierced the silent skies as she plummeted to the sea below, her beloved home disappearing among the clouds.

I can’t die, I can’t die… she chanted in her head. But what if the waves carried her adrift for eternity? What if she got stuck beneath the water and couldn’t get back out? It was days like this when immortality was more of a curse than a privilege. She hoped she hadn’t offended Poseidon by dumping his fish out of her pitcher in the market- she would desperately need the favor of the God of the Sea.

The de-winged goddess plunged into the ocean at an incredible speed, the force knocking the wind out of her. The waves rolled and pitched, tossing Iris above and below the surface. When she got her head above the water, she thought she caught a glimpse of land. But the current was pulling her the wrong way, farther out to sea.

“Help!” she screamed. She fought to overcome the waves as she clutched onto a large, slick rock with one hand and the Forget-Me-Now with the other.

Just then, she heard giggling in her ear. “Silly girl…”

Iris turned to see two faces watching her from the waves, their bodies in a watery form. Naiads.

“She labors for centuries, gathering water from the sea, yet she never learned to swim!” the other tittered.

Iris hoisted herself onto the rock, exposing her wingless back.

They gasped. “What’s happened to your wings?”

“How…” she panted. “How do you know me?”

“We know all the immortals,” one replied.

Including the one that can fire me, Iris thought.

“What’s she doing here?”

“I bet she’s disguising herself as a mortal so she can be with a man! Mortal men are beautiful creatures…”

Typical naiad mentality, she thought, watching their watery heads bob up and down, giggling again.

“You know what men like?” Iris asked, holding up her bottle. “A woman with a sweet, tantalizing scent. I’ll give you each a little squirt of my perfume if you swim me to shore.”

“Oooh!” The naiads smiled, speaking spontaneously. “It’s a deal!”

Iris felt a little guilty as she slipped into the water and into the grasp of the naïve naiads. They really didn’t mean any harm…

“You know,” one of the naiads began. “Sometimes Zeus and Hera float down on a cloud near the water’s surface, and my sister and I dance for them and tell them tales of the sea. I bet they’d love to hear the story of Iris, the goddess who sacrificed her wings for the love of a man of Earth,” she sighed dreamily.

“And how I graced your ocean-like aromas with perfume,” Iris added with a roll of her dark eyes. One could never be too careful.

By the time the trio reached the shore, night had settled. The naiads lifted Iris onto a dock, still discussing exactly how they were going to narrate her tale.

“I was thinking we could start out with, ‘It was a dark night- the night we came upon Iris wingless in the sea-” one began.

“Don’t forget your payment,” Iris said cheerily. “Now turn around- it’s best if the scent is… behind you…”

The naiads giddily turned around as Iris remembered they’d see her wingless again even after she spritzed them.

She gave them each a small squirt, careful to save plenty for Adrian.

“Where… how’d we end up here…” one murmured.

“Strange… let’s get out of here,” the other whispered as they melted away into the tide.

Iris breathed a sigh of relief as she shivered in the cold, grabbing a dark tarp off of the dock and wrapping it around herself toga style. Not only did it keep her warm but it disguised the clothes Adrian might recognize.

Adrian… she had to find the man quickly. Luckily she’d narrowed down her search by directing her sisters to the exact spot she descended from when she met him. If he was a fisherman, she figured he’d dock at about this location. She just had to find him.

Iris flexed her shoulder blades, preparing for takeoff, then began to panic when nothing happened. How did mortals move again?

Suddenly, the sound of feet running through the sand behind her made her jump. She could barely make out a couple mortals racing each other, tearing off their clothes and throwing them in the air as they streaked down the beach, laughing and hollering, somewhat behaving like Adrian’s intoxicated crew members.

Mortals use their legs to move. They do not fly and they do not wear togas. Lesson number one. Iris couldn’t help feeling as though she were way in over her head as she crawled down the deck toward the discarded clothing- a soft, dark jacket, a red, sleeveless top and a pair of blue, thick-clothed trousers. No one in Olympus wore pants- only skirts or togas. She hadn’t seen female mortals wear pants before- although things could have changed in the past five hundred years… Iris hoped if she did find Adrian she’d at least get a chance to spritz him before he began avoiding her, thinking her a lunatic.

Iris struggled to change into the Earth clothes in the dark, then tried standing to her feet.

She got a mouthful of sand when her legs gave out beneath her, weak from never having to support the weight of her body before. Her wings used to do all the work.

You can blend in, Iris thought to herself, spitting out sand. She sat down and straightened her top. You are going to finish what you started, because you look like a mortal! A crippled mortal, but a mortal!

Tears began to brim in her eyes as she put her face in her hands. Who was she kidding? An eternity in the Underworld was becoming more and more realistic.

Just then, she turned toward the sound of men talking amongst themselves as they tied their boat to another dock a stone’s throw down the beach. It was red and white…

Iris sat up straighter. This was no time for tears. She had a job to do.

Chapter 5

Iris watched as the men hauled the full nets up the beach. Crawling to the sand’s edge of the dock, she grabbed one of the posts, pulled herself up and leaned against it, wanting a better look. Now how was she to get to Adrian…?

The sight of the crew members walking in her direction down the beach made her grip the Forget-Me-Now more tightly. She hoped none of them recognized her- the potion was meant for one man- the man at the back of the pack.

She relaxed her shoulders as the others passed. Would now be the best time to use the potion…? Iris scooted backwards as he came nearer, only to trip over the tarp and fall backwards off of the dock. She grabbed her shin with a grimace, watching Adrian’s legs stop suddenly at the noise from under the dock.

“Who’s there?” he called.

Iris held her breath, deciding suddenly that she didn’t want to be found.

Adrian cautiously rounded the corner. “Oh,” he said, relieved she wasn’t a killer. “Are you okay?”

Iris swallowed as she nodded, attempting to remedy her dry throat. “I’m alright… I just thought I’d get a better look at the stars if I was lying flat on my back- in the dirt…”

He laughed. “Fair enough. Need a hand?” Adrian stretched his arm out to her. She tucked the bottle in the jacket pocket, then took his hand with a small smile.

As he pulled her up, her shin protested in pain as her wobbly knees buckled, sending her stumbling into him. Iris bit her lip, meeting his gaze as he steadied her.

“You must’ve taken quite a tumble- can you walk?” he asked.

“No…” It was true.

“Do you have family living around here I could call for you?” he asked, concerned, helping her sit on the edge of the dock.

Iris shook her head. “I’m really far from home.” Really, really far. Like they could’ve heard him from here anyway…

“Well… you’re welcome to crash at my place for the night if you want,” Adrian offered.

“Thank you… very much,” Iris smiled. That would be a good place to finish the job… “That would be very nice. Although I believe I’ve had enough crashing for one night.”

Adrian laughed again, a warm, genuine laugh.

“Alright then.” He held out his arms. “May I?”

She nodded. Adrian scooped her up, jostling her a little as she inhaled sharply when her leg throbbed.

“Oh, sorry-” he winced. “Sorry… fisherman’s hands…”

To be perfectly honest with herself, Iris wouldn’t have minded if he’d dropped her, as long as he’d picked her back up again, bringing her that much closer to the warmth of his skin and his perfect face.

As Adrian walked on, Iris sighed inwardly. She resented how weak she was becoming- why couldn’t she be more driven and focused like the other gods and goddesses? If they were in her place… well, depending on the Olympian, Adrian could’ve been dead by now.

“Oh!” he said suddenly. “Forgot to mention this earlier- I’m Adrian.”

“I kn-” Iris paused as he glanced down at her. “-Never heard of that name before.”

“Yeah, it’s not too common. What’s yours?” Adrian asked with a smile.

Make something up, make something up… she thought.

“Iris.” she responded with an odd look on her face.

“Well, it’s been nice meeting you,” he chuckled, then nodded his head in the direction of her leg. “Although it’s too bad about the circumstances.”

Adrian continued on off the beach and down the boardwalk, melting into a bustling, glowing city as they chatted.

“It’s just a cab ride, then a subway ride to my apartment,” he reassured her.

Iris didn’t answer, too engrossed with the sights and sounds of her surroundings. She was in awe, yet fearful. Structures towered miles above them all around, and the streets were crawling with what seemed like yellow, metal beasts.

Adrian carefully placed her on a bench, then waved his arm at a beast, its glowing eyes blinding. It came to a stop as he helped her to her feet and opened its side.

“We’re getting in that?” she asked incredulously.

“Oh, that’s right, you’re new to New York…” he chuckled, helping her inside. “I promise, these things aren’t as scuzzy as some people make them out to be.”

Adrian strapped a belt over his chest and clicked it to his side. She copied his movements. “It’s the subway you gotta watch out for… but don’t worry, I’ll be right here the whole time, Iris.”

The sound of her name coming from his mouth comforted her, which then aggravated her. She placed her hand in the pocket containing the potion. Focus… in an hour or so, everything would return to how it should be.
-----

Before she knew it, Iris was once again swept away by the wonders of New York. As Adrian made his way down the steps into the subway, she gazed at her surroundings in amazement.

“This is incredible… it’s like a whole other world… under the ground!” she breathed. “Do you visit the subway every day?”

Adrian raised his eyebrows with a chuckle. “Visit… that’s a nice way of looking at it… yeah, I take the subway every day to get to the docks for work. Wish I didn’t, though.”

“You don’t like it?” Iris asked.

“The subway’s fine- I meant my job,” he replied, boarding the subway. He set her down in a seat, then held onto a metal bar parallel to the ceiling. “How about you? What do you do?”

“I… um…” Iris stammered. “I’m in between jobs… I care for the clouds and I deliver messages…?”

“So, you’re an environmentalist in the postal service. That’s an interesting combination.” Adrian nodded.

“Yes…” Iris agreed, relieved. Suddenly, a rumble of the train sent her into the lap of an elderly gentleman seated next to her.

“Forgive me,” she apologized, then awkwardly stumbled back into her space. Iris blushed, glancing up at Adrian. She noticed a peculiar look on his face. “What?” she asked nervously.

That phrase… those doe-like movements… why was it all so familiar?

“Oh- nothing. Nothing.” Adrian shook his head. Impossible.

Iris swallowed, her mind racing to change the subject. “So, you dislike your job? Do you have interests outside of fishing?”

“Art, actually.” Adrian smiled. “It’s weird… you remind me of my current subject- the painting’s based off a dream, though, so-” he paused, giving her a good look. “That can’t be right.”

Iris laughed, trying to sound convincing when she thought she heard a remorseful tone in his voice.

The sound of a droning, muffled voice filled the train as its doors slid open.

“Here’s our stop,” Adrian said as he picked her up gingerly. “You’ll be able to rest that leg of yours pretty soon. I hope you get to feeling better, Iris.”

There was her name again… Me, too.
-----

After rising up several floors in a tiny floating room, Iris began to yawn. This had been the most eventful, exhausting day she’d had in centuries. She really wished she was going to sleep like Adrian thought she was- although what would be the harm in spending the night on Earth? She could spray him in the morning. Even though he began to recognize her, he seemed convinced it was all a dream. Just a dream…

Adrian glanced down at his guest as he slipped into the apartment. She was just about asleep. He wondered what brought her to New York- was she running away? In trouble?

Carefully setting her down on his couch and laying a spare blanket over her, he paused. Those dark, cascading curls… her slender, athletic frame… he had seen her before. He was sure of it.

An unnerving sense of deja vu washed over him as he silently entered his studio. A beam of moonlight from the window spilled onto his newest creation. Adrian studied it, shaking his head. He had rushed home on his break earlier that day so he could capture every detail of the winged girl from his dream- how he ended up sleeping on the job, he didn’t know, but that was beside the point. Although the paint strokes were hurried as he had raced against the fading memory, he had managed to portray the elusive beauty. Adrian stuck his head outside the door to look at Iris, then back at the painting. It was true- the elusive beauty was sleeping on his couch.

Dozens of questions flooded his mind. If she wasn’t an angel, what was she? Why had she come? Adrian plopped down on a stool and rested his stubbly chin in his hand. Why had she left?

He had to find the answers. He’d confront her in the morning- how could he pass up the opportunity? At least he had the most important answer. Adrian turned his attention back to his artwork, then smiled. “She’s real.”

Chapter 6

Iris stretched with a yawn. It felt odd sleeping without wings on her back.

She sat up suddenly when she couldn’t remember why her wings were missing, blinking at the sight of the unfamiliar environment. Suddenly, a noise from another room returned her memory.

“You want waffles?” Adrian called.

Iris furrowed her brow. “Waffles…?” she asked.

“Hey, waffles are the best I can do!” he said, pretending to be hurt. “…It’s a breakfast food.”

“Oh,” Iris replied, then froze, the halfway folded blanket in her hands dropping to the floor. Why was he clueing her in to what seemed to be a typical mortal food?

Adrian entered the living room holding two plates, setting them down on the coffee table in front of the couch and a chair, then sat down in the chair.

“I’m off work today, so I actually had time to make something other than a bowl of cereal,” he said.

Iris looked down at her plate. It was a circular, indented, bread-ish thing drizzled with some kind of sauce…?

Adrian noticed her intense stare. “They may be a little overdone-”

“Oh, no. It looks delicious,” she said quickly, picking it up with both hands and taking a large bite. The sauce dripped on her fingers and the corners of her mouth. Adrian suppressed a grin as he took a bite with his fork.

He swallowed, standing to his feet. “I’ll get some napkins.”

Iris waited until he disappeared, then stuffed her hands in her jacket pockets, only to find them empty. The bottle must have fallen out and into the couch cushions…

“Here you go,” Adrian said, reentering the room.

She jumped. “Oh- thank you.” She took the napkin and wiped her mouth as they sat in awkward silence.

Adrian opened his mouth, then closed it again. How does one go about a situation like this? It had seemed so simple the night before… she glanced at him, catching him staring. Say something…

“You’re not an angel,” he blurted out.

Iris’ eyes widened. “Excuse me?” Might as well play dumb…

“No, I mean-” Adrian apologized. “I think you’re really nice, really- it’s just, ah…” He raked his fingers through his wavy blonde hair with a sigh. “We’ve met before- I know we have. You looked different… wings?” he said, wincing at her expression. “Please confirm that I’m not crazy…”

Iris’ heart pounded in her chest. Get the potion. Get it!

She stood and turned to get to the other side of the couch to search the cushions. Her legs wobbled beneath her, sending her toppling to the floor. Her hand caught the edge of the plate, flipping the waffle into the air and onto her cheek. She grimaced.

It dawned on her- as soon as she sprayed him, where would she go? How would she go? Every time she stood, she fell, and her sisters coming to her rescue was unlikely. Usage of Circe’s potion really required an escape route.

Iris’ heart melted a little when Adrian peeled the sticky waffle off her cheek with a worried look. She tried to ignore the fact that her lack of planning wasn’t the only reason she was holding off on the potion.

“You’re not crazy,” she whispered. I am…

Adrian’s face brightened, reminiscent of an expression one would wear after discovering a treasured memento that had been lost for years. “I’m glad to hear that.”

Iris swallowed as she pulled herself back onto the couch, wiping her cheek with the napkin.

I am breaking every Olympian rule- I don’t care. If they knew I was here… forget them! Her mind argued.

“You must promise never to repeat any of this…”

“Of course,” Adrian nodded.

“You’re right- I’m not an angel. I’m a goddess- the Goddess of Rainbows, actually.” She crossed her legs and folded her hands, giving a resigned sigh. “What would you like to know?”

Adrian’s jaw dropped. He knew something was different about her- a goddess! Who would’ve guessed? How should one address a goddess? Had he been treating her incorrectly this whole time?

“…If all you wanted was my origin-”

“No, no… wow… this is amazing- everything! Just everything! If that’s alright.”

Her secret was out- the distance boundary was just inches away. So the goddess revealed the secrets of her world to the mortal. He had gained the knowledge of the universe. And yet he knew there was something missing- something that he feared could never be.

The two continued asking and answering for hours. Iris didn’t mind, though- it all began to feel natural, as if she’d known him her whole life.

“Oh, here’s another one- if all the Grecian gods and goddesses exist, then does that mean God- capital ‘g’- doesn’t?”

“I’ve heard of the Highest God before- his existence is a topic of controversy in Olympus. I believe he’s real- he has to be! Zeus takes so many vacations the world would be chaos without somebody to take care of everything.”

Adrian laughed. “Zeus- what’s he like?”

“Conceited. Hypocritical. My boss. He’s typically not one to forgive mistakes, yet he always breaks his own rules. Technically, mortal contact is supposed to be limited-” Iris stopped. She was moving into dangerous territory… “I’m on an undercover mission- the others were curious as to what the modern mortal is like, so I volunteered.” she lied.

“Well then- I’ve been asking you questions all morning. You’re the one investigating- curious about anything?” Adrian asked.

Of course she was. Circe’s words echoed in her head- ‘The more you mess with mortals, the more they’ll mess with you…’ She pushed the warning out of her head. She wasn’t getting involved- this was purely research for her messenger job. If she wanted to be efficient she had to be familiar with the customs and environment, didn’t she?

“Yes- Earth is a mystery to me… but before we begin I have a confession to make.”

“Oh?” he chuckled.

She nodded. “Last night I did hurt my leg, but it stopped hurting a couple minutes later- in Olympus, I flew everywhere, so I never needed to walk.”

A smile crept across his face. “You wanna learn?”
-----

Iris gripped the back edge of the couch and Adrian’s right hand more firmly. “I think I got it this time…”

She inched her way forward, scooting her feet on the carpet in wide, stretching strides.

“Don’t be afraid to pick up your feet. You’ll be better balanced that way- once you get your balance, you’ll be golden.” Adrian reassured her, then chuckled.

“What?” Iris leaned against the couch.

“It’s kinda funny- you remind me of my grandma on roller blades.”

“Hey!” She gave him a playful shove, starting to laugh. “How could you insult your grandma like that?”

Adrian laughed, taking her hands. “Alright, alright, enough messing around. Let’s try it again. This time I’ll hold both your hands while I walk backwards, okay?”

“Okay,” Iris giggled. She squeezed his hands tighter and tighter whenever her knees started to buckle.

“Relax!” he smiled as they stepped around the room. “I’m not gonna let you fall- even if you did, it’d be nothing compared to falling from the sky, right?”

“Right,” she nodded, focusing on the floor.

“Try looking straight ahead to fix your balance- I’ll let you know if the ground moves, okay?”

She grinned, rolling her eyes. Iris carefully pulled her gaze upward, periodically glancing back down at her feet.

She found herself returning to his chest, the rise and fall in time with their careful steps. Tearing her eyes from what appeared to be perfectly toned pecs behind his faded t-shirt, her gaze rose to his lips, full and smooth-

No. The sensible side of her mind scolded. The Olympians would be ashamed of you, looking at a mere mortal like that! Think of your reputation! How could you be so distracted from your mission?

Because the mission involves him, that’s why, the sentimental side replied, annoyed at the interruption.

Iris continued upward, surrendering at the sight of his eyes.

Okay, you win on this one, Sensible Side agreed. It’s not just the color- they’re windows into his very soul!

Sentimental Side was pleased. I wonder what he’s thinking…

Adrian’s mind went totally blank as their eyes locked, forgetting how to walk himself. His feet slowed as hers sped up, accidentally stepping on his sneaker. He stumbled into a floor lamp behind him, their still entwined fingers pulling her down on top of him. Their quickened heartbeats slowed as she caught her breath.

“I’m sorry about your lamp,” she whispered, breaking the sudden silence. Had she overstepped boundaries?

It took him a couple seconds to get out of the trance, then he began to fight back laughter. “I hated that lamp so much…”

Her nerves, exhausted from the previous back-and-forth and the sudden shock of their fall, allowed a fit of giggles as they laughed and cleaned up the broken pieces, eventually deciding to move the lesson to the hallway where there were less obstacles.

As Adrian held the door open for her, he sighed inwardly. Relieving romantic tension had proved to be a challenge for him, or at least relieving it in the direction he wanted it to go. He decided to allow himself a little slack- a goddess was far out of his league.

Iris struggled to remain focused on the lesson when she realized she hadn’t experienced relief after the abrupt ending of their episode. Her mission was going to be a little more difficult than expected.
-----

“Alright- yeah, there you go! Just one foot after the other- oops- I gotcha, I gotcha…” Adrian caught her from behind.

“Ugh!” Iris exclaimed, sliding against the wall to sit on the floor. “Why is this so difficult for me?”

He sat down across from her. “Because you’ve been walking for less than an hour- but seriously, it’s crazy how much you’ve improved! Right now it’s just a little wobbly. Are immortals more advanced than humans or something?”

Iris nodded. “We have to be. We’re gods and goddesses- perfection’s expected. But when you don’t meet expectations- you let yourself go, you say something dumb, you look weak-” she paused. “Break their rules… they don’t forget it.”

“Why does it matter what they think, anyway?” Adrian asked.

Iris raised her head. “…I hadn’t thought of it that way before. It shouldn’t matter though. None of us are truly perfect.”

“At least you’re close,” Adrian chuckled.

“Well, thanks.” Iris smiled.

“Really! And before you know it, you’ll be doing all kinds of walks.”

“There’s more?” she groaned.

“Yeah, sure! The way you walk shows off your attitude.” he said, standing up. “You got your power walk…” Adrian strode back and forth down the hallway, demonstrating. “Then the strut… and you can even throw in a little moonwalk, if you want…”

Iris laughed. “Is that a common one?”

“If you’re super-cool like me, it is,” he said in a mock-serious expression. “Heck, I bet you’ll be running any day now- although I must admit, I’m gonna miss carrying you everywhere we go…”

“Hey, that was your idea! Now, if you ever really want to carry me for old time’s sake, I guess you can,” she joked.

“What? You mean like… this?!” Adrian scooped her up easily, flinging her over his shoulder. She shrieked in surprise, bursting with laughter. “You’re crazy!”

He flipped her in front of him and spun her around, faster and faster. She clung around his neck and let out a squeal.

Just then, Adrian stumbled and she heard a huge crack. Iris looked down to find his foot had punched a hole in one of the ancient apartment walls. They crouched down and looked through the hole to see a crabby old man scowling at them.

Adrian laughed nervously. “On the bright side, now you don’t have to come out and get your chow mein in your boxers, Mr. Dooley…”

The man growled. “Just get in here…”

They stepped inside as he held the door open for them.

“Pay up or I call the police, your choice, Mr. Wright.” he said gruffly.

Adrian sighed. “Cash or check?”

Mr. Dooley opened his mouth to reply, then stopped and looked over his shoulder. “What’s she doing? Hey, stop that!”

Adrian turned to see Iris kneeling in front of his neighbor’s television, staring shocked at the screen and knocking on the sides of the set.

“Don’t worry little boy, we’ll get you out of there…” she comforted a screaming child on the screen. “What kind of black magic is this…?”

“Iris, the kid’s fine, it’s just a show-” Adrian said, helping her to her feet.

“This man captures and shrinks innocent children for show? I will assure you, Mr. Dooley, that the gods will not look on you favorably after this cruelty!” Iris exclaimed angrily as Adrian pulled her out the door. “I’ll just… send you the check through the hole in the wall- thank you for your understanding, sir!” Adrian called.

“What the-” He was cut off by a slamming of the door as the two of them hurried away.

“So… everyone has a television? You can watch anything you want… for fun?” Iris bit her lip after Adrian explained her mistake.

Adrian nodded. “The great American pastime.”

“Oh, dear- I should probably go back and apologize-”

“Maybe that might not be such a good idea…” he said as he led her back into his apartment.

Iris flopped in a chair with a sigh. “Ugh, you must think I’m such an idiot. And the Olympians! If they had seen me-”

“Hey- what they think of you doesn’t matter, remember? And you’re not an idiot. If you don’t plan to move on to other places on Earth, maybe I could help you with your research.”

“My what?” She wrinkled her brow.

“Your research- for your mission?”

“Oh- right,” Iris said, feeling a sudden pang of guilt in her chest.

“I’d be happy to show you everything I know,” Adrian said, gesturing out his window, turning to find a brick wall. “There’s more, I promise,” he chuckled.

Iris smiled, savoring the thought. There was no kidding herself- she had been enjoying every minute of her time in this place with him.

“Unless you think being here would be too risky. I’d feel terrible if you got in trouble on my account.”

“I chose to come with you, didn’t I? And who cares what the Olympians think, anyway?” she said, still not entirely believing her elders no longer had an influence on her decisions. But she wanted to.

“There you go, Iris! Just you wait- we’re gonna have a blast tomorrow-”

“A blast?” she asked.

“A great time- see, these are the things I can explain to you! I know Earth must be pretty boring compared to Mt. Olympus-”

“Oh, no. Considering the last time I was here was five hundred years ago, it’s like a whole different world- and the last time Olympus changed in the least was- well, never. Trust me Adrian, I’ve been having the time of my life,” Iris said.

“Good,” he smiled.

The same excited thought was going through their minds- they had more time to be with the other. But this made Iris uneasy- the potion was getting closer and closer to uselessness every day. Her race against time was nearing the finish, but she wasn’t so sure she wanted to win.

Chapter 7

“This is taking forever! Shouldn’t we be hearing requests from Iris wanting to be a mortal by now? I thought you said you saw the arrow hit a man!” Hermes exclaimed impatiently, pacing the floor as a half-asleep Eros watched him, slumped in a chair.

“I thought when you asked me to hang out at your place, I was going to be doing something fun,” he growled.

Hermes shot him a look. “Well?!”

Eros sighed, irritated. “I never said the arrow hit a man, I said it flew into the boat. I assume it hit a man-”

“Then what’s the holdup? Shouldn’t they be head over heels? The idea of taking my messenger job every other five hundred years should be the last thing on her mind!”

“It could be,” Eros said. “Or not. If I had my arrow tracker we would know- whether or not it hit the guy, how the relationship’s doing-”

“That’d be perfect! Where is it?” Hermes asked quickly, taking a seat on his reclined couch.

“I have no idea- the last time I shot a love arrow was like- four thousand years ago. I’m telling you, I could get busted big time for this!” Eros crossed his arms. “Since when did I agree to do your dirty work?”

“Calm down, kid! No one has to know you started all this. If Iris really does fall in love with the mortal, she’s going to want to ask someone to turn her mortal so they can be together forever and junk. We’ll just tell everyone she found him on her own. I’ll even throw in some drachmas for your trouble- that is, once we’re sure she won’t be coming back.”

“But that’s just it! We can’t be sure if we can’t check on her. This love thing takes two- even if the man was hit, that doesn’t automatically make her ga-ga for him!” Eros persisted.

“It takes two, huh?” Hermes smiled, rubbing his chin. He pulled a slender, golden arrow from Eros’ quiver slung over a chair. “Two of these?”

Eros’ face hardened. “You know that’s not what I meant-”

“Yeah, well, what you meant takes too long. I would just tell Dad about her now,” Hermes said.

“And rat me out?!” Eros threw his hands in the air.

Hermes shrugged. “Eh, no skin off my nose. But unfortunately, Circe must’ve been in on Iris’ little secret- after the arrow was shot, she cursed me to turn into what I truly am if I told anyone about Iris and a mortal being in love. Knowing her, it’d probably be something awful.”

“Knowing you, too.” Eros rolled his eyes.

“What’re you standing around for?” Hermes grabbed the bow and quiver and put them in his reluctant henchman’s hands. “You’re on mission Get Those Crazy Kids Together! Go home and get some extra arrows- I know you have a tendency to miss.”

Eros scowled. He knew he wasn’t going to ‘miss’ seeing Hermes when he left. “You better be payin’ me a ton for this. Man, you’re a pain…”

“Yeah, yeah. Just remember, I won’t be the one to pay if the job doesn’t get done, Cherub Cheeks. That’s right, get outta here!” Hermes shooed him out as he put his feet up and put his hands behind his head contentedly. He wondered where Iris would end up by the end of the week- on Earth as a measly mortal or shunned and banished to the depths of Tartarus. It didn’t really matter, as long as he ended up living the life he knew he deserved.
-----

Iris blinked as sunlight poured in through the window, rolling over in bed. She wondered if Adrian was up yet- he had been nice enough to take the couch last night. Now, where did he say the bathroom was?

She shivered as she crawled out of bed, slipping on her jacket and stepping quietly out the door. Grabbing the doorknob of the next door, she glanced back into the main room- Adrian lay sound asleep, softly snoring, with one arm dangling to the ground and one leg hanging off the arm rest. Iris chuckled as she entered the room.

This definitely wasn’t the bathroom… she looked around, amazed. Dozens of paintings and sketches lined the walls, the table covered in supplies. The painting on an easel caught her eye- it was of her! That must’ve been the painting he spoke of on the train. Iris stepped toward it- it was breathtakingly realistic. Her painted self looked her in the eye cautiously, yet curiously, sitting on top of a net of fish. In the blurred background the fishermen heaved the net and stood talking amongst themselves, laughing and pointing. It was as if Adrian had painted their first meeting from his viewpoint. Iris took a seat on the stool in front of the easel with a little sigh. So it was true- he’d been thinking about her as much as she had of him.

“What do you think?”

She jumped, spinning around. “Oh! I’m sorry, I was looking for the restroom- I didn’t mean to intrude- it’s amazing, though. Even with my hair and wings dripping wet, you still managed to make me look beautiful.”

Adrian pushed his bed head hair out of his face. “It wasn’t hard,” he admitted with a smile. “You don’t find this creepy and stalker-ish, do you?”

“No, not at all,” Iris said. “I’m actually very flattered.”

“I remember being so excited to make this- it’d been awhile since I’d painted.” He sat down in the window seat. “It’s like I was inspired again.”

Iris smiled to herself, playing with the hood string of her jacket. “Again? By the looks of this room, it looks like you’re inspired all the time. On the train, I was told art’s your ‘interest outside of fishing.’ This…” She gestured to the studio. “This looks like a passion to me.”

Adrian smiled a crooked, sheepish smile, raising his hands. “You got me. And it’s more like an escape from fishing, to be perfectly honest. You know how I said I dislike my job?”

Iris nodded, tucking a strand of hair behind her ear.

“Well, that was true- when I was led to believe that art was an unstable career thanks to my lack of skill, I turned to the family business. I don’t get along with the crew too well and I find the work to be monotonous, but at least I can count on a paycheck.” he sighed.

“What about ‘who cares what they think?’” Iris put her hands on her hips. “I mean, if you ever did lack in skill you sure don’t anymore!”

“Psh.” Adrian waved his hand and got up to study his work, looking over her shoulder. “The grain of the wood on the boat’s too spotty- that curl in your hair there’s too thin- the clouds look flat…” He glanced at Iris’ incredulous expression. “Not to undermine your opinion, of course. Really, I’ll take all the compliments I can get.” He sat down on the floor with his back against the wall, his socked feet grazing the legs of her stool. “It’s like we’re on opposite ends of the spectrum, isn’t it? You’re trying to keep a perfect reputation and I’m trying to make one.”

Iris laughed to herself in disbelief.

“What? It’s true, isn’t it?” he chuckled.

“Yes- I just find it funny that a mortal man I’ve known for less than a week seems to understand me better than gods and goddesses I’ve known my whole life.”

Adrian began to say something, then stopped, snapping his fingers. “Oh, I just remembered something. Be right back.”
`
“Okay,” she called, standing up from the stool. She studied more of his work on the walls and picked up a tube of purple paint, turning it over in her hands.

“Hey, I found this in the couch last night- it’s yours, right?” he asked.

Iris whipped her head up, freezing at the sight of the potion bottle in his hands. Her hand tensed and squeezed the tube, splattering paint on her face and down her front.

His mouth gaped as he tried not to laugh. “So… would that be a yes or a no…?”

She nodded as he walked over, her face reddening. He set the bottle down on the table and wiped a glob off her cheekbone with the side of his thumb.

“I’m guessing you probably don’t want to go out and discover the world with paint on your shirt- you can wear something of mine if you want. C’mon, let’s go,” he chuckled as he led the way back to his room.

I didn’t grab the bottle off the table. I’ve been around Adrian two days without erasing his memory and I’m starting a third. Is this really happening? she thought, suddenly recognizing her change of heart. My favorite job… possibly my freedom is at stake here. I’ve got to do this.

“Um… what about this one?” Adrian repeated himself, holding up a t-shirt. “Hey… are you okay? You seem kinda quiet.”

Iris raised her gaze to meet his, overcome with the most wonderful feeling. “I can’t.”

“Oh, right- that makes sense, this one’s too big…” Adrian said, turning back to his dresser, wondering what she was really talking about.

“This one could work.” He pulled a concert tee out of the drawer. “It’s older, so it’s way too small for me, but I kept it since it was my favorite. Lotta memories with this one.”

“Yeah, that looks like it would fit- I’m pretty clumsy, though… are you sure you trust me with your favorite shirt?” Iris asked.

“Sure! And anyway, it’d just be adding another memory.” Adrian poked the bottom of the shirt. “And this here it where Iris dripped mustard from her Yankee Stadium corndog… I thought I’d take you to a baseball game. We’d have to drop by the harbor first- I got spare tickets from one of the guys a while ago but I forgot them on the fishing boat. That okay with you?”

“Anything would be fine- everything’s new to me, so I have no preferences.” she replied with a smile.

“Cool. Here’s this-” he said, handing her the shirt. “I’ll go hunt down my shoes, then we’ll head out.” Adrian started for the door.

“Adrian?” she called.

“Yeah?”

“Thanks- for everything. I really appreciate it. I’ve been having a- blast?”

Adrian nodded in approval, grinning. “Me, too- and it’s my pleasure.” He shut the door, searching for his shoes. He had actually taught Iris something. He sighed as he grabbed his sneakers from under a chair, pulling them on. She was learning- and as soon as she’d learned enough, she’d have to leave. Maybe he could just not teach her- no, he couldn’t do that.

Iris stepped out of the room. The faded t-shirt contrasted with her cheeks, now aglow with a sweet rosiness. She smiled shyly at the ground as he held the door open for her.

It dawned on him- getting to know her wasn’t just a once-in-a-lifetime experience anymore. It never was.

Chapter 8

“So- what do you think of the product? I’m calling it Afrodelighties!” Aphrodite clasped her hands together, grinning.

“Don’t you already have a product with that name?” Hestia asked as her fellow goddesses gingerly patted their puffy locks. She glanced around the pretty home. “I just love what you’ve done with the place…”

Aphrodite rolled her eyes. “Artemis? How about you, do you like the cream?”

“It definitely keeps my hair out of my face… I could use it when I go hunting…” she replied.

“Athena?”

“I never thought the practice of trading goods having to do with our interests was very logical anyway… I mean, you’d never want a battle helmet, would you? Or a book?”

“Well, I guess not… hey!” Aphrodite crossed her arms, then sighed. “But… I heard the style’s very popular on Earth…”

“Maybe we would have enjoyed it more about three decades ago…” Demeter smiled sympathetically, patting her on the back. “Hestia? Weren’t we going to your place for lunch?”

“Yes, we were…” she replied as she led the way out the door and down the porch steps. “Although I must apologize in advance for the mess…”

“I’m sure you’re exaggerating, Miss Goddess of the Home,” Athena laughed, then stopped suddenly. “Do you all hear that?”

“What? I don’t hear any- mmph!” Aphrodite protested as Athena clapped her hand over her mouth.

“It’s coming from under the porch… that high-pitched ringing sound? I’ll go get it…” She scrambled on her knees, retrieving a cabbage-sized crystal orb.

“What is that thing?” Demeter craned to get a better look. “Is it dangerous?”

Artemis took the ball in her hands as they sat down on the steps. “No, not unless you’re allergic to ‘imp’… this must be Eros’ arrow tracker. If you’re going to be so irresponsible you need a device to keep track of your arrows, at least don’t lose the tracker itself!” she exclaimed. “The half of the couple that wasn’t hit must be near the site of the shooting if it’s going off like that… an arrow’s connectivity tends to linger awhile…” She glanced at the others’ surprised expressions at her extensive knowledge on the subject, then rolled her eyes. “Eros told me all about it- he seems to think since we’re both archers we’re hunting buddies or something-”

“Look! Something’s showing up on the tracker…” Hestia gasped. “It’s Iris!”

Their eyes widened at the clearing image of the goddess and a mortal man talking and laughing together. The women looked up at each other, shocked.

“Back in the house, back in the house…” Demeter whispered as they hurried inside.

“But this doesn’t make sense,” Aphrodite shook her head as Artemis set the orb on a table. The others moved couches around it, anxious to continue watching. “I went to her house just the other day so she could be the first to try Afrodelighties, and there was a note on her door saying not to come in; she was sick.”

“She must’ve been in a pretty frazzled state of mind when she wrote that excuse… it’s pretty rare for immortals to get sick, don’t you think…?” Athena smiled as she took a seat.

“Oh-right,” Aphrodite giggled, rushing into her kitchen, then hurrying out again with a movie snack. “Appledite, anyone?”

“You didn’t invent those; they’re just regular apples-”

Artemis was cut off. “Ssh, the sound’s fading in!” Hestia held up a finger.

“Here we are!” The man said, pulling two pieces of paper from a little compartment in a boat, then stuffed one in his pocket. “One for me and one for you.”

“Thanks,” Iris replied, pocketing her own. “So you think I’ll enjoy this… baseball game?” She perched on the edge of the deck.

“Maybe. We’re mostly just going for the novelty of it. You can tell a lot about a person by the way they watch a game.”

“Okay, so how’s this?” Iris raised one hand to shield her eyes, staring ahead.

“You’re definitely into the game. A little intense…” He took her hands and shifted them behind her head. “Much more relaxed…” he chuckled.

“Unnecessary physical contact…” Aphrodite murmured.

“You’re pretty close to the perfect pose… somewhere in that ballpark…” Adrian winked.

Iris looked confused, realized he had just made a joke, then burst out laughing. “You’re funny, Adrian…” she giggled.

“Laughing too loudly at something that’s not funny…” Aphrodite whispered. “Oh, and calling someone by name…”

Her fit of laughter sent her slipping off the railing into him as he wrapped his arms around her waist to keep her from falling. Their eyes locked as they stood, their faces just inches away from each other. Time slowed down as they moved closer still.

The goddesses gasped, then found themselves sighing with disappointment as Iris looked down shyly.

“Seems you’re always having to catch me…” Iris smiled.

Adrian smiled a crooked smile that made the goddesses want to swoon. “I don’t mind.”

“CHEMISTRY! They’ve got the whole package!” Aphrodite screamed with glee, making the others jump. “Did you see that?! You can just see it in her eyes she’s just itching to run her hands through that golden hair of his-” She took a big gulp of air, then sighed happily. “I’m so glad Iris has found love. I learned a lot of those signs from Eros, you know. He thinks since we’re both love gurus we’re best friends-”

“Ugh! What’re we doing? We should be ashamed of ourselves, acting like this. Iris is our sister- who knows how many times removed, but our sister! We need to protect her…” Demeter wrung her hands nervously.

“You’re right; she needs protection. Where’s my bow; I’ve got a blondie to hunt…” Artemis stood up.

“No, no, we need a strategy,” Athena shook her head.

As the goddesses argued, on the orb Adrian could be seen rushing down deck to get her a jacket. Something caught Iris’ eye. She crouched down to peer between piles of heavy crates- slid between the piles was something golden. She gasped as she pulled out the love arrow, then jumped as she heard the sound of Adrian coming back up the stairs. Panicked, she slightly bent the flexible metal and tucked it in her belt loops, then pulled her shirt back down over it. Adrian helped her with the jacket and gave her a hand to get off the boat and onto the dock.

Suddenly, a knock at the door snapped the goddesses’ attention back to the orb, sending their debates of responsibility versus true love and turning her in versus saving her skin to a halt.

“It’s Hera! Sorry I’m late to your little party, Aphrodite- I had to finish up Zeus’ silent treatment for the day…”

The goddesses looked at each other with wide eyes. As Athena stood to answer the door, Hestia ripped a curtain from the rod above the window and wrapped the orb in it.

“This could pass as an abstract centerpiece, right?” she whispered nervously.

Aphrodite beat Athena to the door, blocking the way.

“Please, don’t say anything. Just let her have this one…” she whispered pleadingly.

“Hello? I know you all are here…” Hera called loudly.

Athena bit her lip, wincing at the sound of the knocking. “But… the distance…” She lowered her gaze to the floor and reached for the doorknob.

Chapter 9

“So, what do you think of corndogs?” Adrian asked as they walked away from the concession stand.

“It’s good!” Iris swallowed. “Is it… really made of dog?”

“What- no. Oh, no,” Adrian laughed. “To be honest, I’m not entirely sure what’s in it-”

“Wow! This place is huge…” Iris gasped as they entered the innermost part of the stadium and began heading to their seats. “It reminds me of gladiator fights in the Coliseum we’d come down and visit sometimes. I just hope baseball’s less gory…” she shuddered.

“Don’t worry about that- oh, here we are,” Adrian said as they took their seats.

A vendor shuffled down the steps. “Yankee caps! Get your Yankee caps here! Get a cap for five dollars, five dollars a cap!”

Adrian waved his hand. “I’ll take one of those.”

After paying for the hat, he took it and handed it to Iris. “A souvenir to remember today.”

“Oh, thank you!” She placed it on her head. “I won’t forget- this is just amazing! Look how many people are here- I’ve never seen so many. And they’re all different…”

Adrian chuckled. “Some are more ‘different’ than others…” He pointed to a man several rows in front of them wearing a backwards baseball cap squinting and shielding his eyes from the sun.

Iris cocked her head. “I’ve been here less than a week and even I can see what’s wrong with this picture.”

Suddenly, a man several seats away from Iris protested loudly, standing up and grabbing his head.

Iris leaned over to speak to what looked like his wife. “Is he going to be alright, ma’am?”

The woman rolled her eyes and laughed. “Oh, eventually… if you couldn’t already tell, he’s a huge baseball fan. Sorry about him, by the way- there’ll probably be a lot more where that came from.”

“Oh, I don’t mind,” Iris shrugged. “I find ‘the baseball fan’ fascinating.”

The woman gave her a curious look, stifling a laugh. “Are you from out of the country, or something…?”

“Um, something like that,” Adrian said.

“Well, you all let me know if this knucklehead bothers you again,” she said, gesturing to her fuming husband. She tapped Iris on the shoulder. “Just be glad you’ve got that good lookin’ boyfriend of yours. You can tell he’s a keeper if he pays more attention to you than the game!”

“Oh- he’s not my- I mean, he is good looking, but-” Iris turned her attention back to the game, flustered.

Adrian smiled to himself, putting his arm around her.

“You think I look gooood?” he grinned.

“Oh, stop it- just a little,” Iris glanced at him.

“Well, just to let you know, I thought you didn’t look too bad yourself- but after you put on that hat… phew! Amazing.”

Iris giggled, then jumped at the sound of an announcer’s voice echoing through the stadium. The jumbo screen switched to a camera with a heart around it.

“What’s this?” she asked.

“That’s the kiss cam- they use it to entertain during half time. If a couple shows up on the screen, they kiss. It’s like a dare,” he replied, then pointed to the screen. “And so it begins.”

Iris gazed at the lip-locked couple with fascination.

Adrian chuckled at her starry-eyed expression. “What, never seen a kiss before?”

She turned to him and shrugged. “Well…”

“What? I don’t believe it. A girl- sorry- a goddess…” he lowered his voice. “…like you? You’ve got it all- charm, looks, a good heart- that can’t be possible. Never had a ‘moment’ with anyone in Olympus?”

Iris blushed with a grin, flattered. “We’re all related! And mortals, we’re not-” she cleared her throat. “I’d never met anyone like y-” She swallowed, feeling guilty and exhilarated all at once. “Like…”

“Special?”

“Yeah.”

“Well, they say if it’s meant to be, it’ll feel… right. It’ll happen,” he said.

Iris’ eyes widened. “Maybe sooner than later,” she murmured. The Kiss Cam had struck again.

Adrian’s amazement at his stroke of luck turned to panic when he realized he was going to be Iris’ first. How could he live up to centuries of expectation? If she didn’t reject him. Being humiliated in front of the stadium would be nothing compared to ruining his chances with her.

As they hesitated, the crowds’ chanting boomed. Iris was floored- the pressure had nothing to do with her growing desire to kiss him. She wanted to do this- nothing was holding her back, not even the thought of the judgment or consequences she faced. None of it mattered anymore- just him.

They turned to each other. Adrian’s breath caught in his throat at the sight of her anxious, pretty face.

“How’re you feeling about this… alright?” He asked as the chanting grew louder.

She leaned closer and whispered into his ear. “Just right.”

Iris closed her eyes. Letting his lips find hers in the dark, the warmth spread throughout her body, lulling her mind into a fuzzy, sensational state. The exploding cheers of the crowd was now nothing but a whisper, the only sounds left in the world their breathing and the squeak of his sneaker as he leaned in to pull her closer. Even the slightest movement against his body was electric.

The distance boundary had been broken. She was never turning back.
-----

Iris gently closed the bedroom door. She gave a happy sigh as she hung her jacket on a chair, flopping on the bed. Just days ago she was a law-abiding career woman. She still respected her elders and loved her job, but now… the Olympians’ ancient rules no longer set limits on what she could do with her life. She had actually experienced something- with someone- that topped the sensation of flight.

Just as she began nestling under the covers, she heard a rapid knocking at the third-story window.

Iris sat up suddenly, sneaking over to the window with a side table lamp for protection. She opened the window, peering out carefully. Had she just imagined it?

“Miss us?”

Iris jumped and clapped a hand over her mouth to suppress a scream as her sisters popped up from the shadows. They hovered in place, snickering.

“You!” she whispered. “What are you two doing here?!”

“Circe convinced us to come pick you up- this time with gold,” Aello grinned. “She didn’t tell us what your mission was, but she said you’d probably be done by now.”
`
“But- how’d you find me?” Iris asked, bewildered.

“We’ve been flying at the speed of light, going country by country. We knew we’d find you eventually. Now come on, I’m sick of this junky little planet…” Okypete scowled.

“It’s not junky. It’s… wonderful…” Iris sighed, staring past them at the stars.

Okypete rolled her eyes. “Lemme guess… you met someone.”

“You knew you shouldn’t, but you couldn’t resist!” Aello said in a high-pitched dreamy voice.

A little smile grew on Iris’ face. “He… he kissed me.”

“What?!” Okypete exclaimed. “Is that what this whole mission hoopla’s been about? What we’ve been workin’ our tails off for?”

“Working your- you took me halfway to the ocean!” Iris whispered, narrowing her eyes. “Thanks for that, by the way, refreshing swim… but no, not originally. A man was shot by a love arrow near me and I came to wipe his memory of the whole thing, but… things didn’t go according to plan…”

“So?” Aello asked.

“So what?” Iris sighed.

“Aren’t you going to wipe his memory?”

“What? I just told you we kissed!”

“Yeah, and?” Okypete shrugged.

“I can’t do that! I won’t- I don’t want to. I…” Iris paused, looking down at the lamp. “I’ve fallen in love with him.”

For once in their lives, the harpies were silent.

“You… you know you could get in huge trouble for this, right?” Aello said quietly.

Iris nodded. “Yes,” she said softly. “And I’m scared. But my desire to be with him is greater than my fear.”

“You said he was hit by a love arrow?” Okypete asked thoughtfully.

“Okypete, don’t…” Aello sighed.

“Yes?” Iris furrowed her brow.

“Have you forgotten that love from an arrow is only a spell?” she said smugly.

Iris froze. “I… well… I hadn’t really thought about-”

“Face it, sis. If that arrow hadn’t pierced him, he wouldn’t think anything of you.”

“Iris,” Aello stated. “I think you should just wipe his memory right now while he’s sleeping. The longer you stay, the harder it’s going to be.”

“But… he- you’re sure all of Eros’ arrows are powerful? It just… it just seemed so real. It can’t be true.” Iris shook her head.

“Look, are you gonna spray him or not? Circe wants us to bring you home…” Okypete whined insensitively.

“No.” Iris stormed out the door, hurried into the studio and grabbed the potion off the table, then entered the bedroom, hurling the bottle out the window. Aello caught it.

“You’re going to want this back, Iris-” she warned.

“I’m not doing that to him…” she raised her voice. “Whether he truly loves me or not.”

“Well, he doesn’t!” Okypete smirked. Finally, she had won- Iris’ life wasn’t so perfect after all.

Aello hung her head, looking at Iris sympathetically.

“I’m sorry,” she whispered, following her sister in the dark.

Iris stood for a moment as she watched them leave, then let out a sob as she crumpled into bed. How could she have let such a crucial detail slip her mind? If the harpies hadn’t come, she would’ve been happily ignorant, Adrian’s comforting nature lulling her deeper still in this dream of life with him. She couldn’t just ignore the warnings- if his attraction truly was caused by the arrow alone, he could be missing out on a real relationship with someone who wasn’t involved in some twisted spell.

Iris just couldn’t believe none of it was real- she’d never been so ‘real’ with anyone in her life, including herself. The fear she had pushed to the back of her mind had come true- none of it would last forever, and she would never forget it for the rest of her immortal life.

Chapter 10

“I see you’re back with the extra arrows. Come in here and put this stuff on.”

Hermes handed Eros a pile of Earth clothes.

“What’s this?”

“If you’re gonna do this job right you’re gonna have to blend in on Earth.” Hermes replied simply.

“Look, about that- I’m seriously reconsidering it.”

Hermes rolled his eyes as he added a pair of basketball shoes to Eros’ pile. “You’re not getting in trouble. I’ll make sure of it- once I hear you’ve completed your work.”

“That’s comforting… but it’s not that. I know I haven’t always been the most sensitive guy, but having someone I know involved in one of these stupid love arrow messes of mine… I feel bad.”

“Indigestion?” Hermes yawned.

“Guilt.” Eros cocked an eyebrow. “And hey, what’s this you’re giving me now?” he said as he struggled to balance his bow, quiver, the clothes and now a glass bottle.

“Invisibility potion. Your wings can’t be seen, either.”

“But… they’d still see a person flying…”

“Fly fast! Find good hiding spots, I don’t care. Just don’t get caught- jeez, do I have to spell it out for you?”

“I wish you’d just do it yourself, if it’s that important to you,” Eros set the pile down on the table.

“You know my archery’s even worse than yours…” Hermes replied.

“Ugh…” Eros grunted in disgust. “Where’d you even find this stuff, anyway?”

“The clothes were from various messenger trips and the potion was from Circe… my nickname’s not ‘The God of Thieves’ for nothing. Now hurry up- get changed and pour the potion on those wings. Time is money, if you remember our deal? As soon as you tell me you’ve shot Iris with a love arrow, you get your money.”

“And this money’s from…”

“God of Thieves,” Hermes reminded him. “Oh, that reminds me- I gotta be getting back to my parents’ place. Gotta love that quality time…”

Eros scowled as he stalked off to change and make his wings disappear. Unfortunately his newfound guilt was pointing out his love for money was greater than his guilt about what Hermes planned for him- shoot, report, gold.

He paused mid shoe-tying. Of course, if he really wanted to skip step number one he could and no one would ever know. Hermes was right… he did have a tendency to ‘miss’… He’d come back with an empty quiver, a guiltless conscience, and leave with pockets full of gold. Eros chuckled to himself. Hermes was sure putting a lot of faith in someone whose nickname’s The Trickster…
-----

It’s just not the same… none of it is, Iris thought miserably as she and Adrian exited the subway station. His smile… his voice… all I can think of is the spell.

The two of them stepped off the sidewalk and began crossing the street as Adrian lightly held a hand to her back, guiding her through the crowd.

“So… what’d you think of the movie?” he asked.

Iris remembered being captivated by the moving pictures. As she got used to the idea and focused on the story, she had held back tears when watching a minor character constantly lie to his love interest, in the end the odds against them proving to be too great.

“Um… it was great. I loved it.” she replied, trying to smile.

Just then, she heard a small dog yip in protest next to her, then began jumping up on the legs of his owner. When the woman scooped him up to avoid getting tangled in his leash, the dog cocked its head and licked her face affectionately. Iris’ jaw dropped slightly when she saw the traces of a golden arrow near its backside disintegrate and blow away in the wind.

“He’s back…?” she murmured, whipping her head upward to catch a glimpse of a figure speeding away.

“Who’s back?” Adrian asked.

“Oh- sorry, no one. Hey, what’s this over here?” Iris changed the subject, pulling him towards a horse-drawn carriage as he laughed in surprise.

It seemed Eros was dead set on completing the second phase of whatever sick joke this was. She couldn’t get struck- then both sides of the relationship would be fake.

Adrian put his arm around her, enjoying the scenery as she rested her head on his shoulder. He looked down at her- eyes downcast, her chest rising and falling with a troubled sigh. Nothing new- she’d been unusually silent and somber the whole day.

“Hey, Iris- what’s eating you?” he asked.

She looked up at him, confused. “Eating…?”

“I mean, you seem upset about something. Anything I can help with? I miss that smile of yours…” he replied. “Was it something I said?”

The corners of her mouth turned up a bit. How could someone this sweet and genuine not be… genuine? The arrow was deceptive- yet gave such a heart-wrenching, realistic performance.

“No, you’ve done nothing wrong, I promise. I’m just… thinking about Olympus, and my mission for it…” she responded.

“I get that,” Adrian nodded. “I get homesick too, sometimes.”

More like sick of home- how everything’s so complex and difficult… Iris thought. As they stopped at a red light, she flinched as an arrow whizzed by them, pricking a woman window shopping. Iris rolled her eyes in disgust at the immaturity of her fellow immortal as the woman became dazzled by her reflection, smooching the glass as the arrow dissolved away. She was sick of a certain flying god, too.

Her heart grew heavier and heavier as the day rolled on, browsing in and out of stores, people-watching, waiting in line at a café, and finding a nice place to sit and eat in Central Park. The whole situation seemed hopeless- as if she decided she wanted to weave beautiful tapestries for the rest of her life, then remembered she didn’t have hands.

Iris studied Adrian as he took a sip of his drink, his back resting against a tree. His eyes were contemplative, but his furrowed brow suggested he was troubled.

He noticed her gaze, then smiled. “I’m sorry, I guess I’m just lost in my thoughts.”

Iris smiled in response, lost in her own thoughts as well. What do enchanted men think about? Can they think for themselves at all, once under the spell? Is every kind word, every comforting gesture but a predetermined path for the romantically wounded? She hated the phrase, as if love should ever dare to be a negative, artificial thing. But that’s what Adrian was, romantically wounded, according to her sisters. She supposed she should get used to the idea… but if the relationship was fake, what was the point?

The gentle touch of calloused fingers against her cheek brought her back.

“Iris,” Adrian spoke softly, wiping away a tear. “Whatever it is, I want to help. I know I’m not qualified for Olympian issues, but I want you to know that I’m here for you.”

A sudden, burst of wind whipped through the park, blowing their empty cups and napkins away, then disappearing as soon as it came. Iris froze as she felt something propped against her lower back. She dared not investigate, she knew what it was. Aello had returned, her warning echoing in Iris’ head. “You’re going to want this back…”

Iris touched his hand against her cheek, her thoughts racing to make sense of it all.

“Tell me,” she said carefully. “When we first met on the boat that day, did you… experience anything out of the ordinary, like you began acting differently?”

Adrian sat nervously. Who knew how much longer Iris could stay on Earth? It’s now or never.

“I can honestly say I’ve never felt anything quite like it before. I’m usually pretty scatterbrained, but the moment I met you- you were all I could think about.”

“It’s not true…” Iris whispered. Her fingers over his tensed. Someone was behind her…

“It is true! You… you, Iris, are my inspiration.”

Iris squeezed his hand tighter, her heart breaking as his eyes searched her soul for some sign of a desire to make the same declaration.

Her expression deepened further in remorse as his face fell.

“I know I’m not worthy of you,” Adrian said. “But you make me want to be.”

Iris’ hand closed around the cool glass bottle. If she truly loved him, she had to set him free. The curse would not claim one more day.

As she leaned forward, she felt the arrow bent into her belt loops. All at once, visions of disintegrating arrows flooded her mind. When an arrow’s remains blew away, it marked the start of a false relationship.

Iris slowly pulled the arrow from her belt loops and into the light.

Adrian was right. It was true. All of it was true.

Her building elation was replaced by fear as the sound of a bowstring being drawn back pierced the air.

Iris jumped to her feet, whipping the Forget-Me-Now out from behind her and spraying a decisive burst of potion into the face of her target.

“Iris?!” Adrian exclaimed. “What are you doing?”

Eros stumbled out from his stakeout position behind a tree, sporting a bewildered, stunned look on his face.

“Where… how…?” he mumbled.

“Go home, Eros,” Iris said firmly. “It’s best you not remember the awful things you’ve been doing this week.”

Eros just shook his head, confused, taking off in a swerving path to the sky.

Iris exhaled, stumbling to her knees, weak with relief.

Adrian stood to get a better look at the dazed god ascending far away. “…Mind explaining what just happened?”

“I just erased the past five days from his memory…” she replied, a little dazed herself. “He won’t be bothering me anymore.”

“But- but why?” he asked, crouching down next to her.

“That was Eros, the god of love. Most mortals know him as Cupid- he tried to shoot me with a love arrow while I was with you.”

“Would falling in love with me be such a terrible thing that you’d wipe someone’s memory to avoid it?”

He had been honest with her… Iris bit her lip as she watched him look down at the ground. He deserved to know the truth. What her original mission really was.

“When I came to Earth, I came believing you had been shot with a love arrow when I was around. The Olympians never asked me to study mortals- they don’t care to know. For us, ‘the sky’s the limit’ is literal. Gods and goddesses are supposed to maintain authority and respect from mortals- not get involved. This…” Iris looked down at the potion bottle. “This wasn’t meant for Eros.”

Adrian looked up, stunned. “…For me?”

Iris nodded, ashamed.

Adrian opened his mouth, then closed it again as he shook his head and rocked backward to sit on the ground. “When were you planning to…?” He put a hand to his head. “This whole time?”

Iris’ eyes widened. “No, I didn’t mean-”

“I mean, what were you waiting for? For me to admit that I’ve fallen for you? Well, sorry about your luck… Now you’re free to do that messenger job of yours you were talking about- or was that a lie, too?”

“Adrian! No, I am a messenger- I never would’ve dreamed things would play out this way. I just-”

He looked down at the hands now clasped over his, his once bright green eyes dark like a stormy sea. Adrian sighed deeply, at a loss for words. The very sight of him so crushed brought a lump to her throat.

“…You just can’t get involved.” Adrian said, standing up. “I understand.”

Iris’ heart began to pound as she realized what was happening. “No… Adrian, no, it’s not like that!”

“I hope all of the other mortals you meet treat you with the… authority you deserve.” His jaw tightened as he stared at something… anything in the distance.

“Adrian! Please, you don’t understand… don’t do this…” Iris whispered, her cheeks becoming wet with tears.

“You don’t have to bother with the potion- it’s unlikely I’ll forget you, but I’ll leave you alone. Congratulations…”

Adrian looked down at her, his expression filled with longing, yet hastily covered with indifference.

“…You got what you wanted.”

Iris tried to call after him, but all that would come were bitter tears as she watched him walk farther and farther away, hailing a cab at the street corner. The New Yorkers passing by tried their best to keep their heads down and ignore the girl alone on her knees. Her heart was breaking, for she knew that what she really wanted was gone.

Chapter 11

Hermes rubbed his temples as he began his ascent to the top of Mount Olympus.

“Just a visit a century, just a visit a century…” he chanted. He had to admit, it was a small price to pay compared to getting stuck with his parents forever.

“Just a visit a century, just a visit a- hey! Watch where you’re- Eros, back so soon?” Hermes patted his stricken accomplice’s back. “Tell me, what was the expression on Iris’ face when you got her? Something like this?” He broke into a huge grin, batting his lashes.

“Iris… why would I do that? What’re you talking about? Seriously, I’ve been super confused…” Eros mumbled.

“Don’t play with me. The job I was gonna pay you for? C’mon, Eros, I was gonna get my full-time job back! Respect!” Hermes sighed, exasperated. “Looks like I’m stuck with the side job of shame… I can’t live like this, Eros, it’s humiliating!”

“Wait, you were gonna pay me to do something? Did I do it?”

“That’s what I want to know! Although by the looks of it, someone Forgot-Me-Now’ed you.” Hermes groaned in disgust. “I told you! I told you not to get caught.”

“For what?!” Eros exclaimed.

“I wanted you to confirm that Iris and some Earth-boy are in l-” Hermes clapped his hand over his mouth. “Ugh, the spell… what’re you trying to do, get me turned into a pig or a frog or something?!”

Eros’ eyes widened as he shrugged in bewilderment.

“Ugh!” Hermes pushed past him. “Useless little… there’s got to be another way to pull this off. A Plan B. Dad is not getting the last laugh on this one; I’m getting my title back.” Hermes pushed open the heavy palace doors and stalked into the dining hall.

He plopped into a chair at the end of the long banquet table, opposite his parents having a hushed conversation.

“I’m here,” he announced, crossing his arms.

“Oh- hello, son. Glad you could make it. Help yourself,” Zeus said, gesturing to the platters of food in front of him.

Hermes scowled, pulling the long tablecloth and the food along with it towards himself with a cross look on his face. He grabbed a turkey leg, chewing sullenly.

Zeus cocked an eyebrow. “As you were saying, Hera?”

“I said I came across some interesting information when I met with the girls this afternoon.” Hera smiled. The only thing she enjoyed more than making her husband guilty and ruining the lives of his mistresses was sharing juicy gossip.

“Do tell, dear,” he replied. The only thing that could redeem him from his flings was listening to her juicy gossip.

“Well, Athena was pretty reluctant to spill it at first, but apparently they came across Eros’ old arrow tracker and found someone we know…”

“What?!” Zeus sat up straighter in his seat. “I thought I told Eros not to-”

“You say a lot of things, dear. Guess who it was.”

“Oh, I don’t know…”

“It was Iris.” Hera said, pulling the arrow tracker out from behind her back.

Hermes choked on his food.

“Here, Hermes, give this back to Eros…” she said, passing the tracker. “I know technically it’s Eros’ fault and not hers,” she continued. “But us immortals shouldn’t get that close to people anyway, as you know…”

“But… I heard she was so sick she couldn’t work. I thought the clouds have been looking dry…” Zeus interrupted.

Hera rolled her eyes. “A goddess, sick… great subject change, Zeus. Anyway, do you know what you’re going to do?”

“About what?”

“Iris.” She took a slow sip from her wine chalice. “You are in charge of enforcing the intermortal love law, you know, even if it hasn’t stopped you before.”

“Can’t.” Zeus took a large bite of food. “My chariot’s in the shop- Hephaestus is refitting that loose wheel.”

“From what, visiting the blonde?” Hera glared at him stonily.

“Well…” Zeus grimaced, scratching his beard nervously.

“Ugh. I’d leave you if I wasn’t the goddess of marriage…”

“The Olympians already think I’m a hypocrite- I just don’t feel like I can punish someone for the same wrong I do all the-” he paused. “The same wrong I do.”

Hera threw up her hands. “Zeus, if you can’t keep your own rules, at least make sure the others do. If they lose respect for you… they could lose respect for me! And then where would Olympus be? Think about the distance boundary you set up between immortal and mankind- that’s not just for preventing flings. It’s maintaining authority.”

Hermes cleared his throat after coughing up turkey that had been lodged in his windpipe.

“Couldn’t anyone else perform the punishment ceremony in the Underworld in your place?” he asked, raising his voice over the arguing.

“Oh sorry, son, forgot you were there- and no, I wouldn’t allow it. I make the laws, and whatever my law says, goes. Why do you ask?”

“Just curious…” he smiled. Whatever the law says, goes.

Hera wrinkled her brow at him. “Don’t… ick! Get that expression off your face. It looks just like his nymph-mother…” she growled to Zeus.

“Now, don’t bring him into this…” Zeus groaned.

“Oh, don’t even start. You brought him into this, if you recall, not me…” Hera put her hands on her hips.

Hermes grabbed a turkey leg for the road as the floor began to spark and shock his feet. They wouldn’t notice he was gone- and besides, he had work to do.

Now, how to get Iris and Loverboy to the Underworld… asking politely’s obviously out of the question… Hermes thought as he walked, dusting off the orb. The two appeared to be far from the site of the shooting now, and far from each other- the orb’s screen flickered back and forth between the two of them, blurring and fading.

Hermes squinted at the sight of a man riding in a taxi with his head hanging low, running his hand through his hair. This is the guy Iris fell for? He looks awful! He thought, peering into the orb as walked. Yelping as he stubbed his toe on a gate, he looked up at a large sign- Mount Olympus Zoo.

Hermes smiled to himself. Perhaps violence was the answer.

He opened the gate, passing cages of Grecian beasts. He cocked an eyebrow at a little hippoelectryon- half horse, half rooster. Not even close.

“Ah… perfect,” Hermes chuckled as his gaze fell on the mighty manticore. The huge lion lay sound asleep with its leathery dragon wings tucked in and scorpion tail curled up. Its human head, covered with a flowing mane and beard, rested on massive paws as long, sharp claws gleamed in the sunlight.

Hermes knocked lightly on the cage bars. When the manticore failed to stir, he rolled his eyes.

“Hey, Ugly. Wake up,” he hissed, chucking his turkey leg at the monsters’ back. The manticore raised his head and squinted his eyes.

“There you go, Sleepin’ Beauty, up-up,” Hermes grinned as he unlocked the door.

The manticore snarled, leaping up and pinning Hermes to the ground.

“How dare you,” it growled.

Hermes ignored the foamy drool nearing his forehead and smiled.

“You dare to bite the head that freed you?” he said coolly.

The manticore scowled as it released him. “No, Master. How can I repay you?”

“I was hoping you’d say that.” Hermes showed it the images of Iris and Adrian in the tracker. “Hunt them down, and bring them to the Underworld- I’ll be waiting for them.” Hermes began to take off, then paused, his winged sandals hovering mid-air.

“Oh, I almost forgot- alive, if you please?”

The manticore bowed low. “Yes, Master,” it replied, taking off toward Earth.

Hermes smiled wickedly. Plan B was underway.
-----

Adrian closed his eyes and leaned his head back on the cab upholstery with a sigh.

Just as things were going great- boom! She drops a bomb on me. He thought. Could things get any worse?

Suddenly, something huge landed on the taxi, sending it crashing into the one in front of it.

“What… was that?!” Adrian asked, eyeballing the massive dent in the roof.

“I’m gonna find out… hey! Hey!” The cab driver shouted as he rolled down his window and stuck his head out. His jaw dropped.

“What? What is it?” He craned his neck to get a better look.

The driver screamed, abandoning the taxi.

Adrian’s heart pounded. All at once, razor-sharp claws pierced the roof just inches from his face. He let out a shout as he flattened himself against the seat.

What appeared to be huge gusts of wind rocked the cabs on either side as people fled in terror, screaming about the end of the world. Adrian gulped. Was the ground getting farther away?

He unbuckled his seatbelt and threw open the door. He’d have to jump…

The taxi swerved, clipping the corner of a skyscraper. Adrian ducked as the right back door was knocked off and crashed past him, sending him tumbling out the side. He screamed as he hung onto the seatbelt for dear life, flying through the air. The cab was being carried away by a huge, hybrid beast!

The monster looked down at him. Its lips curled into a smile, revealing its deadly teeth.

“I knew I’d find you here,” it said, its deep voice a low rumble. “Tell me, boy, where is the goddess?”

“I-I don’t know what you’re talking about!” Adrian choked. He climbed up the extended seatbelt, getting a foothold on the inside edge of the taxi.

“LIAR!” the manticore roared. “The scent of immortal lingers around you still! I’ll hunt her down myself.”

Adrian’s knuckles began to turn white as he clutched the taxi’s inner safety handle, the taxi pitching and rolling at an incredible speed. The manticore’s nostrils flared as he sniffed the air, taking sharp turns without warning.

Suddenly, they took a nosedive and the manticore released a corner of the taxi from its iron grip, stretching its paw to the ground. Adrian gritted his teeth as he slipped forward, trying to keep his foot in place.

His eyes widened as they neared a dark haired girl making her way across the street. “Iris! Look out!”

She turned and screamed as the taxi swooped overhead, suddenly finding herself being carried away by the hood of her jacket, claws grazing her neck.

“What are you doing here?! Let go of me!” she shouted up at the deadly beast.

“You know him?!” Adrian exclaimed in bewilderment.

She looked up at the sound of his voice, relieved and confused at the same time. “Adrian?! I didn’t send him, if that’s what you mean!”

“I was sent to retrieve the two of you. Apparently Hermes believes there is business to attend to in the Underworld.” The manticore said, beginning to chant in a mysterious tongue.

Iris’ heart began to pound as a dark portal started to form below.

“I should never have come here, Adrian!” she cried out as they sped towards the ground. “I’m sorry- I’m sorry I met you!”

Adrian was so taken aback he almost lost his grip on the taxi. Just as he was about to shout back, they entered the portal. Finding himself speechless at the sights that surrounded them, he realized she was apologizing- if they hadn’t met, he never would have experienced such a nightmarish place.

Chapter 12

As they flew through the spacious cavern, Iris’ mind scrambled to form an escape plan. If Hermes was behind all this, it couldn’t be good. She glanced up at Adrian, the light from the mounted torches creating harsh shadows on his tense face.

If I’m still frightened of the Underworld after seeing it before, I can only imagine his shock- he didn’t even know this place existed… she thought.

The faint sound of screams and weeping echoed from somewhere many levels below them.

“We’re gonna be fine,” Adrian shuddered, meaning to calm himself and both reassure and reconfirm the statement to Iris.

Just then, a rocky wall could be seen ahead, deeply carved with the word ‘Judgment’. Adrian ducked as the manticore dipped just low enough to clear the bottom of it, then landed with a crash into the area.

The taxi’s alarm went off, the noise ricocheting off of the rounded stone walls as Iris and Adrian cringed on the floor where they’d fallen. The Forget-Me-Now potion rolled out of her jacket pocket across the floor, bumping into a winged sandal.

Iris lifted her gaze to see an all too familiar smirk.

“I’ll take that.” Hermes scooped up the bottle, tossing it from hand to hand casually. He opened his mouth to speak again, then sighed. “Would you shut that up already, Fluffy?”

The manticore scowled defensively. “Yes, Master.” He gave the cab a solid kick, silencing it to pieces against the wall. Iris swallowed. The entrance from which they’d come was wide open, but she decided against crossing an angry manticore.
`
“Well. The gang’s all here,” Hermes said simply. “Iris? Do you know why? And ‘Romeo’ here, too?”

She clenched her jaw. “I have a pretty good guess, Hermes. My only question is why you’re here, and not Zeus.”

He nodded. “That’s an excellent question. My father felt ineligible to lead this judgment, as the two of you have a shared weakness for mortals. Technically, no one is to lead a judgment ceremony but him, but his law strictly states that any god or goddess in a relationship with a mortal is to be sent to the depths of Tartarus, and the mortal is to have all memories erased of the experience- and ‘whatever his law says, goes.’ It’s called the intermortal love law, kid, ever heard of it?”

“Yes, I’ve heard of it… but the punishment can’t be legalized without the judgment of a ruler! The Olympians will come to get me, and then I can get Circe to create a potion to restore Adrian’s memory, and-”

“That would be a convenient loophole, wouldn’t it? Too bad the ceremony involves this bad boy…” Hermes cackled, gesturing to a sword mounted on the wall. It glinted in the dim light as Iris’ breath caught in her throat. “To any old mortal, it’s a regular sword, but to a goddess, it eliminates immortality.”

“…And I could never enter Olympus again.” she whispered.

“Please.” Adrian suddenly spoke, jarred out of his dreamlike silence. “Let us switch places… send me to Tartarus.”

“No!” Iris exclaimed, shocked.

“She wouldn’t do any harm to your law if she had no memory of me- she could continue on peacefully, and wouldn’t… make the same mistake again.”

“It wasn’t a mistake! The only thing I regret is putting you in danger… and I don’t care about maintaining authority between our kinds- all I care about is you!” Iris grabbed his hands as a tear rolled down her cheek. “I’ve had centuries worth of experiences, and you’re the best thing that’s ever happened to me.”

Adrian swallowed hard, pulling her close as Hermes approached them from across the room. “I promise, if we’re separated, I will find you again. Nothing is going to keep me from you.”

“This is sickening…” Hermes rolled his eyes, tracing his finger along the flat of the sword.

“You keep that away from her,” Adrian raised his voice, startled at the sudden appearance of the blade.

“Fighting over who gets to go to Tartarus? Really?” he sighed. “And- Adam, was it? You know why it has to be Iris down here, right? It may not ‘do any harm to our law’, but it’ll cause damage to my chances of getting that full-time messenger position.”

“What?!” Iris shouted. “You’re willing to ruin the lives of others for a job?!”

“Unlike some people, I actually care about authority!” Hermes exploded. “I’ve spent a million too many years at the bottom. Now’s the chance to take back what’s mine. I’m promoting myself back to ‘Olympian’- and I’m finally going to get some respect around here.”

“Force is not the way to get it! And if all you want’s the job, take it! Just let us go!” Iris cried out.

“Like I’m falling for that,” Hermes growled. “I’ve been through too much for too long; I’m not taking any chances- and I’m not taking advice about respect from a ditsy minor goddess.” He wrenched her away from Adrian’s arms, raising the mortality sword with a psychotic gleam in his eye. “What? Were you so desperate for someone to love you that you had to scrounge around Earth for people?”

“Leave her alone!” Adrian roared, knocking him to the ground.

Hermes grabbed the bottle of Forget-Me-Now. The mortal’s eyes widened.

“ADRIAN!” Iris screamed.

The final burst of the potion clouded his vision and filled his lungs. He rolled off of Hermes as he coughed and frantically tried to wave the cloud away.

“Adrian! Speak to me!” Iris rushed to his side, shaking his shoulder. “…Don’t leave me.”

Adrian blinked, looking right past her at the cave walls and the ferocious manticore blocking the exit. “What is this… how did I…?” he mumbled, his breaths quickening.

“Adrian?” Iris whispered, trying to look into his nervous, darting eyes. “Do you know me?”

He shook his head, overwhelmed. “What is happening… how do you know my name?”

A sob escaped Iris’ lips.

“Come back to me…”

Adrian put his hands to his head in a daze as he stumbled along the cave wall and raced towards the exit.

“Put him back where you found him, manticore,” Hermes called out.

The beast swiped at Adrian, sinking his claws into his shirt and a bit of his back as well. He screamed as they disappeared into the dark.

Iris’ hands trembled, forming into fists as she turned to face Hermes.

“You… how could you?!” she screamed. “Why?! What is so bad about mortals?”

Hermes gripped the mortality sword with a sinister grin.

“See for yourself.”

Iris gasped as she fell to her knees, suddenly weak. A golden light from within her flowed from her chest into the sword as it illuminated Hermes’ wicked smile.

“I will never return to the shame and humiliation I once experienced…” he whispered in her ear. “…Because you are never returning to Mount Olympus.”

As she collapsed, he called for guards to take her away, placing the mortality sword back on the wall with a satisfied expression. Iris knew where she was going when she found herself being dragged through the winding halls, but she had lost the will to fight- not by the sword, but with the last victim of the potion.

Chapter 13

The guards escorting Iris let her limp body fall to the ground. She turned and glared, only to find them gone and the warden in their place. He handed her a pair of ugly black wings coated with lead.

“For fraternizing with a mortal,” he announced loud and clear, “Your eternal punishment is to fly to the top of that mountain with these. Hermes had them ordered special for you- just strap ‘em to your arms and flap away.”

Iris took the wings, her muscles tensing under the weight. She looked up at him as a lump formed in her throat.

“Please… how can I… this is impossible!”

The inmates looked her way and snickered.

“That’s why it’s called eternal punishment. Now get to work.” The warden looked up to see several unproductive criminals gawking at them. “All of you!” he shouted. “Don’t make me get out my whip!” They scrambled back to their work sites as he climbed a ladder to an observation tower.

As Iris put her arms through the wing straps, she gazed about the dark landscape stuffed with miserable spirits and their eternal tasks around them. How could she live like this forever?

She stood in front of the mountain awkwardly. Just strap and flap… Iris raised her arms with a grimace. If she was still immortal it might’ve been easier…

“Hey!” the warden yelled from the tower. “You with the wings! Get busy!”

Iris sighed and prepared to get a running start, backing up as far as she could and climbing up a hill. She paused as she glanced downward- a fruit tree was growing out of the hill next to a stream. A man stood in the water straining to grab an apple, only to have the wind blow the branches away. He smacked the water in frustration.

“What’re you lookin’ at, Birdbrain?’ he growled.

Birdbrain- now where have I heard that before? Iris thought angrily. She ignored him, racing off the hill and leaping into the air. Iris stumbled to a stop as she heard laughing behind her. Her face reddened as she walked to the mountain and hid on the other side.

“Hello?”

Iris looked around, but found no one.

“Hello? Is this thing on?”

“Aphrodite, this isn’t a two-way message; we can’t hear her.”

Iris smiled. The goddesses must be sending her an instant mind message from her heralding staff. She hadn’t used the feature in a long time, but knew it would come in handy again eventually.

“Hi, Iris. It’s me, Demeter. We just wanted you to know that we miss you… you should come home. We kind of came across Eros’ arrow tracker and saw you with a mortal man, and-”

“Yeah! He’s cute!”

“Aphrodite!”

Iris blushed. She wondered how much they had seen…

“Anyway, Hera came when we were watching it, and she said she was showing it to Zeus…”

“I am so sorry, Iris…” Athena interrupted. “I was trying to follow the rules, but as soon as I let her in I regretted it- that’s why we’re messaging you. You need to leave that man as soon as possible, before it’s too late.”

Iris’ face fell. A little too late…

“Again, I can’t express how guilty I feel.” Athena continued, her voice beginning to crack. “I’m going to talk to Zeus soon and try to convince him to abolish the intermortal love law. I hope it helps you, wherever you are…”

“And in the meantime,” Artemis said. “If that boy ever hurts you… you just let me know.”

Iris smiled. Her friends were so loyal… at least some of them were. She sighed. Athena meant no harm, and she sounded so ashamed… no use being bitter now. She was just grateful to have some company at this point.

“Men…” sighed Hestia. “Are they really worth it, anyway?”

“No.” Artemis stated.

Aphrodite sighed. “You two did look totally in love, but I hate to see you punished because of it. I thought I saw all the signs, but mortal men are hard to figure out… and irresistible,” she giggled.

“But they bring you nothing but trouble in the end,” Demeter insisted. “Remember Phaethon?”

“And Boutes.”

“And Anchises!”

“Adonis! Who could forget Adonis?”

“Okay, okay!” Aphrodite huffed. “Things don’t always work out. What a jerk he was… more interested in hunting than a goddess of love and beauty. Psh.”

“And look where it got him! Ares killed him, he was so jealous!” Athena exclaimed. “Aphrodite, tell Iris the stories of your failed relationships- maybe it’ll convince Iris to come home.”

“Hey! Well… okay. I’ll start with the A’s… Adonis… already covered him, next is Anchises. Phew, that one was a disaster…”

Iris sighed as the goddesses chattered on. She supposed it was virtually impossible to end up with a happily ever after and a mortal. Her heart ached as she wished Adrian was with her and they were someplace wonderful… anywhere but the Underworld.
-----

Adrian panted as he sprinted down the sidewalk. Some huge, flying… thing had just flown him out of a hole and dropped him into the street. He looked about wildly as he ran- was he dreaming? Or dead? This couldn’t be real.

His back throbbed as a searing pain began to settle in. Adrian felt the scrapes- not deep, but the blood was definitely real.

What is happening to me? Have I gone crazy? How did I get to that cave-place… what day is it…? His mind raced.

Adrian dashed into his apartment building and up to his room without looking at anyone, scared out of his mind. He grabbed his head as he paced the apartment. The lamp was missing… there was a syrup stain on the floor and an empty waffle mix box on the counter…

None of this is familiar. Did I have anyone over…? What happened this week? he thought frantically, perplexed.

His studio door ajar caught his eye. Was that a painting on his easel? He hadn’t painted in years… did he make that?
-----

“Okay!”

Iris jumped as Aphrodite continued.

“That’s all of them. However it goes between you and the man, I hope you come home soon, Iris. We miss you so much.”

The other goddesses chimed in in agreement.

“Well… that was kind of a bummer message…” Hestia sighed. “Maybe we should change the subject.”

“Oh, I know! Iris, something crazy happened today!” Demeter exclaimed. “Hermes, he-”

“I want to tell it!” Artemis interrupted. “We were hanging out in the courtyard, and we saw Hermes and Zeus arguing up on the stairs of the palace entrance of the mountain. All of a sudden, there was this puff of purple smoke and Hermes was gone! Or we thought, anyway… we could just barely see a little rat floating down in one of his winged sandals. He’s a rat, Iris! I mean literally this time! I guess when you come home the job’s all yours…”

Iris froze as the goddesses giggled on and said their goodbyes. Hermes was a rat?! Circe’s spell had come true! She guessed his pride got the better of him and he forgot about the spell… poor Hermes. And Circe wouldn’t even be there to see it…

Circe. Her words echoed in Iris’ head- “I’ll let him know the second word of you and a mortal being in love leaves his lips, he’ll turn into exactly what he is. I’ll just leave out the fact that it has to be true for it to work.”

“It has to be true for it to work… it’s true?! Adrian loves me again! He must be awake!” Iris whispered, unable to keep from smiling. She wiped away a joyful tear as she bravely headed back to work. I may be stuck here, she thought. But at least the thought that Adrian hasn’t forgotten me completely can keep me going. He remembered.

As she strapped on the heavy wings once more, she couldn’t help but wonder.

But how?
-----

Adrian sat shocked on his stool. The girl in the painting- Iris- he loved her! How could he have possibly forgotten her? Memories had trickled in one by one, then flooded back in a dizzying wave as he studied the painting he’d created of his inspiration.

His awe of her beauty as she sat next to him, tangled in the fishing nets.

The warmth of her body against his as he carried her home.

Her delicate frame curled up on his couch- and his realization of who she truly was.

Hours of questions and conversation- the way she laughed, her voice…

Their first kiss in the Yankee Stadium…

The worst feeling he’d ever experienced when he thought she’d rejected him- then again when he realized she was being taken from him.

Adrian could feel the anger building as the sight of the one who took her… Hermes! The guiltless, ruthless expression on his face returned to him. Hermes was going to send her to Tartarus and stab her with a mortality sword, then he sprayed him with that memory erasing spray.

So that’s how I ended up in that cave… why I couldn’t remember anything… Adrian thought as he left his studio to attend to his wounds in the bathroom.

What am I going to do…? he thought hopelessly. Suddenly, it came to him- the portal. It was closing, and fast.

Adrian’s heart pounded in his chest as he burst out the door, flew down the stairs, and ran down the street as fast as he possibly could.

Please, God, don’t let the portal close! he prayed desperately. His chances of surviving the Underworld were slim, but even the thought of losing her forever was unbearable.

There it was, up ahead…

He pushed past people gathered around the mysterious shrinking hole.

“Hey- hey, buddy, what’re you doing? Don’t get too close-” someone called.

Adrian leaped in the air and cannonballed into the manhole-sized portal. Falling to the rocky ground, the sounds of the city faded away like a radio being turned down as the ever-tightening light from above shrunk to a thread. It passed over his face and vanished, cutting off all contact from the outside world. Only eerie cerulean torchlight was left to guide his path.

He crept along the wall, keeping to the shadows as he passed under the sign labeled ‘Judgment.’ Adrian grabbed the mortality sword off the wall, then stepped forward carefully, sticking out his hand to keep him from bumping into things.

Suddenly, he felt hot breath on his face and his fingers touched the fur of a certain beast.

He was not alone.

Chapter 14

“I was hoping we’d meet again.”

Startled, Adrian slashed the sword defensively in the manticore’s direction as it dodged his wild swings.

“You don’t understand, boy, you don’t need to waste your time with me-”

“You don’t think I could take you?” Adrian spluttered, trying to force his fleeting courage into the open.

“I can’t let you through!” it insisted.

“Yeah, well, I have to get through, so get lost!” he exclaimed. The manticore slid its massive scorpion tail across the floor, knocking Adrian off his feet and sending the sword clattering to the ground. It pinned his shoulders as he fought.

“Stop squirming and listen!” it growled impatiently. “After dropping you off, I returned to Mount Olympus to find that my master had been turned into a rat. Since I’m now free from Hermes’ orders, I decided to right my wrongs- clear my conscience. I figured you’d come back for her, so I’m offering to help you. This is about the girl, correct?”

Adrian nodded, looking suspicious. “Just earlier today you slashed my back… how do I know I can trust you?”

“I am part man- I’m clearing a conscience, aren’t I? I blocked your way to prevent you from running into the guardians of the gates of Tartarus- spirits of Grecian monsters slain in the past, along with the very much alive Cerberus. In other words, I am also part beast. If I’d wanted to kill you, I would have done it already.” it said, releasing his shoulders.

“Fair enough.” He picked the sword up off the ground, eyeing the manticore warily. “Spirits of monsters, huh? If they’ve been killed already they can’t be that bad.”

“They were killed by Greece’s greatest heroes- in your case I’d suggest a strategy of stealth.”

“Look, I’m just trying to get Iris out of there, alright? I don’t really care what strategy I use as long as it gets the job done.” Adrian set his jaw, glancing past the exit of the ‘Judgment’ room.

The manticore sighed. “Let me put it this way- anyone crazy enough to go to the Underworld for a girl has to have some hero in them.”

Adrian paused. “Thanks.” He studied his surroundings around the corner- the winding maze of hallways sloped downward, leading to the huge, barred gates of Tartarus. Sure enough, in the distance he could see several prowling beasts blocking the entrance.

“Well, this is your mission- any ideas yet?” it asked.

Adrian nodded. “I think it’s the crazy talking, but I’ve got a plan…”
-----

Iris climbed the hill for the twenty-fourth time as her lead-laden arms started to burn. She wondered what would happen if someone actually did complete their task… although that was unlikely. She assumed the tasks were meant to inflict pain, insanity, humiliation, or all of the above.

“Excuse me, sir- would you mind reaching for an apple again?’ she asked the man standing in the stream.

“If you’re hungry, get one yourself. I won’t be of use to you.” he replied gruffly.

“Ah, yes, I know… I’m just trying to get a strong wind going to help out with my, um, task.” Iris sighed, lifting the heavy wings with a wave.

“Why should I help you? You just got here! I’ve been starving and parched for centuries, lady!” he growled.

“Okay, okay, I’ll help you first.” Iris rolled her eyes, reaching for an apple.

“I wouldn’t do that if I were you…” the man warned.

A powerful gust of wind caught Iris’ wings, sending her sliding backwards off the hill. She shrieked in surprise as a huge pile of rice broke her fall.

“Oh, no…” a voice behind her groaned.

Iris turned to find a knight clad in a tunic and armor on his hands and knees, scooping up piles of scattered rice.

“I’m sorry, the wind knocked me off my feet… is this your task? Eating rice? I know it swells up and stuff, but-”

“No, I have to chop up each grain into ninths with my sword. I wish I could eat it. I haven’t done it yet… the ninths, I mean. A couple years ago I got one into sixths…” The knight nodded, scratching his scraggly prison beard. “I’m Benjamin, by the way.”

“I’m Iris… here, let me help you with that.” she said, gathering rice from the dirt. “So… what’re you in for?”

“Twenty-two years ago, a god got jealous of my girl and killed me,” he sighed. “How I ended up here, I don’t know.”

“That’s awful!” Iris sat back against the hill. “I feel as if I’m here unfairly, too- technically I broke the rules, but it’s a stupid rule… now I’m stuck here and I’ve lost the person I care about most.” She gently shook her cupped hands, sifting the dirt from the rice. “I just wish I could see him again. Benjamin… you’ve been here longer than I have. How’s the security? I was practically unconscious when I was brought here.”

“Well…” he said nervously. “The key hangs on the wall outside the barred gate, but it’s guarded by Cerberus and the spirits of the Chimera, the Nemean Lion, and the Hydra of Lerna. I tried once to get the key ring off the nail with the tip of my sword, but my eyesight’s so bad from staring at rice all day I took too long and I was caught and whipped.” Benjamin shivered. “I just wanted to see my dear Elizabeth…”

Iris’ fingers tensed. Enough’s enough. She had the will and now a way to escape Tartarus- she was taking it.

“Lend me your sword, and I’ll try to get the key.” she whispered. “If I get it, you can follow me out of here.”

“But you’re a lot closer to the observation tower than I am- I’m hidden behind rice mountain here.” he pointed out. “If the warden notices you’re missing from your area for too long-”

“He won’t.” Iris shook her head. “Benjamin- what’s your pants size?”
-----

After sheathing the mortality sword through his belt loop, Adrian crawled on his hands and knees, grabbing rocks and scraping them on the ground. When he found a chunk that left visible black marks on the stone floor, he motioned to the manticore and carefully led the way into the little labyrinth.

The manticore raised his eyebrows skeptically when he began filling in the outline of a man at the end of a hallway with the charcoal.

“And doodling is helping us how?”

“I’m making fake shadows for my diversion,” Adrian whispered. “And I’m not ‘doodling’, I’m sketching. There’s a difference.” After drawing several more shadows on the winding walls, he took his phone out of his pocket, set up a five minute alarm, and placed it in the center of the maze, being sure to turn it up to full volume.

“This should be distracting enough… are the guards easily confused?” Adrian asked.

“I don’t know about the others, but I heard the Hydra attacked one of his own heads once… what- what are you doing?” the manticore whispered indignantly as Adrian began to climb on his back.

“Could you fly me to a dark, high corner of the cave to wait for the guardians to leave the gates? When they go running to the sound of my alarm in the halls, we want to be sure we’re out of the way.”

“I feel like a pack mule…” it hissed.

“Heh… so the ‘boy’ becomes the master…” Adrian chuckled.

“Still a beast,” the manticore scowled.

“Still clearing your conscience,” he grinned. He grabbed its mane as it took off, growling in protest. “Whoa! Sorry, just trying to get a good handhold… I wouldn’t be of much use to Iris splattered on the ground, now, would I?” He glanced down at the rocky stalagmites speeding by below. “Let’s just focus on the mission. Any advice you can give me about this place?”

“Ah…” it thought, trying to remember that eating someone would in fact not help with clearing his conscience. “Alright, when used on spirits, the mortality sword is an ordinary weapon. Don’t lead a monster to the River Styx- if it manages to get out, it’d be immortal.” The manticore continued on, rattling off facts. “You already know the Hydra isn’t too bright. The Nemean Lion isn’t very fast, has an indestructible hide and has lethal claws like mine, mind you… The Chimera is a she-lion with an extra goat head and a serpent tail. The lion part is a decoy, it’s the goat head you’ve gotta watch out for. Cerberus, the one with three heads, was once calmed with music, but the sound of wailing and screaming right behind him for eternity can be hard on one’s hearing.”

Adrian shuddered. “Poor Iris… hopefully she won’t be in there for much longer.”

Chapter 15

Meanwhile in Tartarus, Iris was thinking the same thing, giving the gloomy prison what she hoped was a final glance. She gave a wave to Benjamin as she crept toward the gate. He waved back from her launching hill, shaking his dark curls out of his face. It was slightly unnerving how much they looked alike from the back.

Iris lowered the shade on the helmet as she neared the edge of Tartarus, clad in Benjamin’s breastplate and itchy, thigh-length tunic. She peered out of the gates. The three spirit guards were about four yards away as they paced back and forth and Cerberus, big as a semi- truck, sat sulking against the wall, eager for action.

Iris swallowed as she slid the sword, then her arm between the bars as far as she could stretch. The key clinked lightly against the blade as she gripped it tighter.

Her eyes widened and she bit her lip as Cerberus impatiently thumped his tail against the wall. The key ring bounced on the nail in the wall precariously.

Thump.

Clink.

Thump.

Clink.

Iris twisted the flat of the sword upward, inhaling sharply as the keys landed on the blade. Just a twitch of the fingers would send it clanging to the ground, ruining any chance of escape.

Iris held her breath, inching the keys her way. She tried to calm her nerves by thinking of Adrian- soon this would all be like a bad dream…

Suddenly, eighties rock music started blaring from the twisted hallways ahead, echoing as it bounced off the walls. The spirit guards roared as they sprinted off to investigate. Iris cringed and gritted her teeth.

Benjamin jumped with a shout, whipping around to face the observation tower.

“What the-” the warden flinched, spilling his drink. Squinting at the sudden appearance of facial hair on ‘Iris’’ chin, he automatically turned towards the gate, grabbing his whip at the sight of yet another escape artist.

“Now you’re gonna get it!” he yelled down to her.

Iris kept her eyes on the keys as her heart rate skyrocketed. Reaching her other arm through the bars, she snatched the key off the sword, ignoring blood spilling from a slice in her palm.

The warden climbed down the tower ladder, sliding down the last half. His footsteps pounded the ground as she jammed the key into the padlock with her free hand, jiggling it furiously.

He grabbed her arm, twisting her around to face him. The warden smirked at her frightened expression through the helmet slits.

“It’s always the new kids who try to escape. Don’t worry…”

Iris desperately tried to pull the sword through the bars as he raised his whip.

“You’ll only try once.”

Just as she freed her arm, the gates burst open from the outside as the manticore pounced on the warden. Iris backed away slowly, then turned to run, stumbling as she bumped into someone. She gasped in amazement.

“Do you know where I could find Iris? She’s in there somewhere.” Adrian said urgently.

Iris pulled off her helmet. “Adrian… it’s me!”

His face brightened as his shoulders slumped with relief.

“Oh- God, Iris, you’re okay… I thought I lost you… oh, God…” Adrian murmured as they embraced.

They rushed around a corner and crouched behind a rock formation to catch their breath.

“I can’t believe… you’re here! You came to save me!” Iris whispered, grinning as tears brimmed in her eyes.

“Of course I did, although I have to say you seemed pretty capable yourself. Did that guy in there hurt you? If he did-”

“I think the manticore’s got it- and why…?”

“He’s on our side now, although I’m sure he’s finding the alarm “Living on a Prayer” quite fitting-”

“Right… wait, alarm? Was distracting the guards your idea?”

He nodded. “Hopefully the shadow sketches are confusing the heck out of them, and the manticore said Cerberus loves music…”

They peeked around the corner to see Cerberus wagging his tail and cocking his head curiously.

Benjamin scrambled out of the gates. “I’m free!” he exclaimed.

“…Why is that man wearing your clothes?” Adrian whispered.

“All part of my distraction. Now, let’s get out of here. Is the manticore going to fly us home?”

Adrian paused. “…Yep.”

“Wow…” Iris smiled. “That was easy!”

Adrian put an arm out in front of her protectively. “Too easy…”

The spirit guards exited the labyrinth, snarling and growling.

“Hide yourself… take cover behind the rocks,” Adrian whispered, drawing his sword. “Go on, hurry!”

“I’m not leaving you,” Iris said, gripping her own sword. “We’re in this together.”

The monsters approached steadily, circling their prey as Iris and Adrian shifted back to back.

The Chimera attacked first with a bleating hiss, then the others jumped. Iris slammed her helmet over the goat’s head with a shriek.

Adrian hacked away at the Hydra’s multiple heads, then climbed on top of it to distance himself from the indestructible lion. He cried out as its claws sunk into his leg.

“Adrian!” Iris turned. “Oh! You chopped off the heads…!”

“What?” he grimaced, grabbing his leg as he scooted farther up onto the large, lifeless monster.

Suddenly, the severed neck stalk under him began to regenerate, lifting him into the air. Adrian pushed back necks growing on either side of him as they chomped the air.

“I knew I forgot to mention something!” the manticore growled crossly as he hopped over the warden’s unconscious body to join the battle.

Just then, the music stopped. Cerberus barked sharply, shaking the ground as he stood.

“Manticore! Get my phone, we need more music!” Adrian shouted, straining to hold off the sprouting dragon heads. It flew off, disappearing into the labyrinth.

Iris held her sword out in front of her defensively as she was cornered by the advancing Chimera. Finding herself in a large shadow, she glanced up and gasped at the furry black underbelly of Cerberus, snarling and pawing the ground with massive, tire sized paws. Holes could be seen in the goat head’s helmet as it began to chew its way out.

Iris jumped up and began to climb Cerberus’ leg, swinging her sword and climbing higher as the Chimera tried to bite her feet.

The manticore swooped overhead with the phone in its mouth and dropped it in Adrian’s direction, then pounced on the Nemean Lion with a yowl.

Releasing one of the Hydra heads, he caught the phone and pressed replay.

The Hydra bucked at the sudden noise, bumping the phone out of Adrian’s hand and into one of its many windpipes. The head closest to him gagged as the strains of Bon Jovi gurgled from its throat. The other heads hissed.

“Get away!” Iris shouted to him, now on top of Cerberus’ back. She threw her sword like a javelin and pierced the Chimera’s side, cringing as it screeched angrily.

Adrian leaped off of the Hydra as the choking, foreign head was attacked, gritting his teeth as his calf throbbed and bled. The manticore swatted the Nemean Lion against the wall, then crouched.

“Just get on…” it said. As Adrian mounted, Benjamin emerged from behind some rocks, running towards them.

“Please- take me with you! I assisted your girl with her escape; I was sentenced unjustly! Please, sir!” he pled breathlessly.

Adrian waved him over. “C’mon, get over here- but if there’s not enough room for Iris, he’ll have to carry you with his claws!”

“Thank you, sir!” Benjamin exclaimed, climbing aboard in front.

The manticore took off towards Cerberus as the Nemean Lion roared after them.

“Adrian!” Iris called. She waved her hand, then grabbed the dog’s hide again with a scream as it jumped, swatting at the manticore.

“We can’t get in close enough!” it shouted. “Cerberus will follow as far as the River Styx. Grab her hand and pull her up!”

“Why would it- oh,” Benjamin paused, seeing a huge drop-off in front of the river ahead.

“Iris! Take my hand!” Adrian shouted, shifting so he was riding backwards. “I’ll pull you up!”

Iris swallowed, glancing down at the rocky ground far below. Ever since Hermes stabbed her, she was a lot more… mortal than she used to be.

“I don’t… I…” she faltered, bouncing as Cerberus broke into a gallop, its echoing barks deafening.

“Don’t look down, it’s gonna be okay, alright?” Adrian coached as his fingers trembled. “Look at me… right at me…”

Suddenly Iris was back at his apartment, holding his hands for support as she wobbled, looking into his eyes. As long as they were together, she was going to be fine…

“Just look at me.”

Iris grabbed one of Cerberus’ ears as she pulled herself into a standing position, stretching her arm upward.

Adrian stretched and strained. “Grab my jacket,” he said to Benjamin. “I need to get closer.” He scooted even farther down the manticore’s back, leaning as far as he could. Iris let go of its ear, climbing on top of the middle head as she reached for his hands, inches away.

Iris locked her gaze on Adrian’s face, his green eyes bright with intensity. She watched them widen in horror as he glanced down and his arms grabbed for her desperately. Cerberus halted at the drop-off as she flew through the air and plummeted to the swirling river below, his scream swallowed up by the sound of churning water.

Iris panicked as she struggled under the surface, the raging current pulling her deeper still. Blindly fumbling with the straps of the heavy breastplate, her wounded palm burned in protest.

As Benjamin shook his shoulder and pointed, Adrian lowered his hands from his stunned face, peering down at the misty river from above.

“It’s glowing.”

All at once, Iris felt the water calm. Swimming to the surface, she noticed her hand was painless- the wound was gone. As her head emerged from the water, she realized that the current hadn’t weakened. She was stronger.

The opposite sensation Iris experienced from the mortality sword washed over her- a wonderful, indescribable feeling only topped by a similar warmth she’d felt with Adrian at the Yankee Stadium.

“What happened? What does it mean?” Benjamin asked as they began to descend to the radiant water.

Adrian recalled the manticore’s warning about keeping monsters away from the river’s power-bestowing qualities. “It means,” he said with a tired smile. “That once again, Iris is immortal and I’m not… we’re back to square one.”

Chapter 16

“Well, this is your stop, Iris.” The manticore announced as it landed on Aeaea’s sunny beach.

“Thank you for all your help- and you too, Benjamin. We couldn’t have done it without you.” she said.

“Think nothing of it,” it shrugged. “Soon you’ll have those wings back and it’ll be like this whole mess never happened.”

Adrian ran a hand through his hair anxiously as she gently shook her head.

“No, it won’t.” Iris stood from Adrian’s lap. “Do you know how much easier it is to fly to someone than track them down from the middle of the ocean?”

Adrian chuckled. “Yeah, that convenience should add a few minutes to your schedule. I imagine yours will be pretty packed soon, huh?”

Iris nodded. “I’ll visit every chance I can… and I know I’m totally free September.”

“I now have a favorite month! My next painting shall be dedicated to you and all the awesome stuff we’ll do in September.”

“We’ll have a blast,” Iris smiled as Adrian shook his head with a laugh. Their smiles faded slightly with a sigh- the reality that their relationship was still forbidden was hard to forget.

“Not that I don’t love sitting in on this sappy conversation,” the manticore interrupted. “But I should probably be getting Adrian to a hospital. I’d say his leg’s purple right about now…”

Adrian raised his eyebrows with a smile.

“What? You’ve earned my respect- you fought well, so I’ll reward you by not letting your leg fall off…” it said gruffly.

“Thanks- coming from you, that means a lot.” Adrian patted him on the back.

“Well, if I didn’t mean it I wouldn’t say it… Benjamin, where do you live?” The manticore said hastily, changing the subject.

“I’m sure my little hut in England is long gone by now… do you know of a place I could live, Adrian?” Benjamin questioned.

“Well, I’d be happy to give you the Adrian Wright New York Tour… I’m kind of an expert at it,” he winked at Iris.

She gave him a sad little smile.

“Don’t worry,” Adrian said with a weak smile himself. “I’ll see you again soon.”

Iris kissed him lightly on the cheek and waved as they flew away.

“Not soon enough,” she whispered.

Entering the little jungle surrounding Circe’s house, her heart grew heavier and heavier as tears began to trickle down her cheeks.

“So that was the famous Adrian.”

Iris jumped, turning around to see Circe with a basket full of mangoes.

“Don’t worry, I wasn’t close enough to eavesdrop- oh, honey, are you okay?” Circe’s brow furrowed when she noticed her tears.

Iris shook her head with a little sob as Circe set down her basket to give her a hug.

“I’m guessing the Forget-Me-Now wasn’t used?” she asked.

“It was used on naiads, Eros, and eventually Adrian by Hermes… but the potion was only temporary with him. Why is that?” Iris sniffled.

“Well,” Circe said simply. “True love is more powerful than any potion. It can withstand a lot more than you’d think.”

Iris accepted a mango as they made their way to the house to mix a wing potion. She knew her love for Adrian could withstand anything, but not everyone at Olympus did- or wanted it to.
-----

With her renewed wings, Iris alighted in the Olympian market the next day with her pitcher in hand. She approached Poseidon, setting it down on his table.

“Hi, Poseidon. I thought you might like to have this to hold your fish in- I won’t be needing it anymore.”

He smiled and nodded as he took the pitcher. “Oh, that’s right! I heard you’re the main messenger now. Congratulations!”

Iris nodded absent mindedly and fingered his sea trinkets as he continued.

“So Hermes’ a rat now… I suppose he got what was coming to him. Lounging around all day, being deceitful, taking pride in the name ‘God of Thieves’, the little-” Poseidon paused, scratching his beard. “But anyway, I haven’t seen you around for a while. What’ve you been doing?”

“…It’s a long story,” Iris said. “I guess I’d better be getting to work. I hope the pitcher will be useful for you-”

“Definitely,” he said. “Apollo was going to design and sculpt me a container, but then he changed his mind. He said he’s retiring from the art aspect of his job to focus on finding his soul song…?” Poseidon shook his head. “Musicians…”

Iris chuckled halfheartedly with a wave as she took off to get the heralding staff from the goddesses, hoping their chatty, bubbly selves would cheer her up, only to return just as despondent as she’d felt all day.

Leaning with her back against a pillar in the courtyard, she rubbed her thumb against the smooth wood of the staff anxiously. Iris was excited about starting up her job again, but it felt empty knowing that the one person who she once thought was jeopardizing her security and happiness was now so unbearably far away, along with her heart.

She gazed down at the sea, sparkling as the sun touched it. Her heartbeat quickened as she caught sight of a certain red and white boat. Remembering the recent retelling of Aphrodite’s affair-turned-struck-down-men stories, she resisted the urge to go to him immediately. She couldn’t risk putting Adrian in danger just to satisfy her own impulses- Zeus knew she was capable of escaping the original punishment, so what would stop him from eliminating the “problem” altogether?

Iris turned away from the ocean, cringing at the sight of Zeus’ bronze chariot rumbling from the palace in her direction. So much for laying low.

She swallowed nervously as the chariot flew to a stop next to her, his horses snorting and stomping. He climbed out and stood before her.

“Iris?”

“Yes, Zeus?”

“I understand you are back from the Underworld to take on the duty of messenger.”

She nodded. “Yes, sir.”

“I also understand that you were not there on business, but as punishment for fraternizing with a mortal man- a man whom you spent a considerable amount of time with, knowing full well the consequences you faced.”

Iris rubbed her thumb against her staff. “Yes, sir.”

“Through Eros’ arrow tracker orb, I have witnessed the man remain with you for the majority of the time I observed you, and when he wasn’t with you he was pursuing you, including his infiltration and escape of the Underworld imprisonment system.”

Iris’ eyes widened when his fingers began to glow and spark as he turned to the sea.

“You realize what I must do, then?” he asked.

“I understand that I have broken the law, but not why it’s illegal.” Iris said quickly. She crossed in front of him, grabbing his sleeve as she looked up at him pleadingly. “What is my crime? All I did- still do…”

Iris took a deep breath. “…Is love him.”

Zeus raised his hand, pointing it at the fishing boat.

“That’s all I need to hear.”

She gasped and whipped around as she watched a stream of light fly down to the ocean, dispersing through the water and pooling around the boat. As the light traveled up the sides and began to circulate into a figure far below, Iris slightly turned her head towards Zeus.

“That’s not lightning.”

“It’s a reward.” he smiled. “Escaping the underworld- especially after going there purposefully to bring someone back- is traditionally rewarded with immortal status.”

Iris put a hand to her mouth, speechless, as Zeus pulled out a roll of parchment used for royal decrees from the chariot and posted it to a laurel tree in the courtyard.

“Athena finally broke me down- I’ve decided to abolish the intermortal love law. Typically the Olympian law is supposed to be permanent, but sometimes you just have to break the rules, don’t you?” Zeus laughed with a wink. “Now, I know what you’re thinking. I’m not going to take advantage of the new adjustment- I owe it to Hera to give her the respect she deserves. Seeing you and that man together has inspired me. He truly is a man of honor, deserving of a place here in Olympus.” Zeus took the reins of his chariot.

“Iris?”

“…Yes, sir?” she said, overjoyed.

He handed her the reins with a smile. “Bring him home.”

Iris beamed, giving a surprised Zeus a warm hug before climbing into the chariot and snapping the reins. The horses flew through the air and headed towards the fishing boat as Iris giddily stuck her foot out of the chariot, dipping her toe into the sky and leaving a bright rainbow arc behind.

“Iris! Iris! Look at me! I’m- I’m turning into a god!” Adrian exclaimed as Iris slowed the chariot to a hover next to the boat. He grinned at his hands incredulously as the golden glow warming his skin faded inside. The other fishermen looked on in astonishment across the deck.

He looked up at her, overjoyed. “How is this…”

“Zeus believes you are more than worthy,” she grinned. “And I hear the art god’s retiring…”

“What- oh, man! That’s-” Adrian held his head in disbelief. “Iris, get down here!” he called, holding his arms out to her.

She floated down to him eagerly, giggling as he scooped her out of the air and into his arms. “I guess you’ll always be catching me.”

He kissed her on the forehead. “Still don’t mind.”

As they boarded the chariot, Iris laughed to herself in amazement.

“What?” Adrian chuckled.

“Us. Mortals and happy endings really exist.”

He shook his head with a smile. “There will never have to be an ending for us now- this is just the beginning.”

Iris embraced Adrian as he took the reins, riding off to the heavens. Though in the past the Goddess of Rainbows and the mortal man wouldn’t have dreamed it possible, it had really happened- the sky was no longer the limit.

The End

CurlyGirl17 SILVER, Corydon, Indiana
Thank you so much! This means a lot to me; I'm glad you liked it! :D

EmilytheBelleofA. DIAMOND, Athens, Georgia

To love is to be vulnerable; Triumph is born out of struggle; We notice shadows most when they stand alone in the midst of overwhelming light.

This is amazing! :) I loved it, and I still do. :) You ahve such a talent and greatness in you; you're a wonderful and talented writer. Because you do and you are. Never stop believing that, please. Keep on writitng. :) Thank you so much, for sharing this. :)