Love and Other Distracting Pursuits | Teen Ink

Love and Other Distracting Pursuits

December 20, 2018
By Anonymous

Author's note:

this is based from an experience that ive had in my life and i figured id write this down and make it work.

Let's begin by first off saying, this is not some dumbass story of "love at first sight" kind of thing. This is something that is going to be full of torturous moments and it could have a happy ending, but you have to read in order to find out.

                This takes place several years ago today, like three or four years? i don't know, it was sometime before i went off the deep end. Back in La Crosse, Wisconsin where I learned about my, disposition, meaning it's where i found out i was gay. i met this really nice guy named Zane. he was a great guy, and my friend for years, ever since we were kids, but lately, after i told him what i was, hes been acting weird. giving me gifts, ruffling my hair and gently stopping me from saying things like i like him, and even simply listening to me vent about random stupid shit that i faced throughout the day. so many mixed signals that he puts out confuse me. this terrifies me. does he like me, does he not? i don't know, and it scares me, so i sit in the corners, hiding and watching from afar, toying with the silver necklace he gave me, housing an opal, shining brightly under the florescent lighting, a rainbow of colours flashing across the jewel. 

                "you alright kiddo?" a voice asked, causing me to jump about a foot in the air, yelping in surprise.

                "h-huh? oh, i-it's you Zane. um, yeah, i-i just, i'm kind of tired, and a bit distracted," i muttered the last bit, fearful of what i should say next.

                this didn't seem to satiate him, so he sat down in front of me, setting a hand on my leg. when i looked up, i was immediately caught up in his gaze, the piercing blue eyes that seemed to peer into the soul of whatever they looked into. Zane looked at me, making a grunting noise, showing his clear irritation and disbelief at my blatant lie. how badly i wanted to squirm away, to change the subject, but all i could do was make stupid psychobabble noises, hoping i would be able to say something coherent before he left, angry. his gaze softened, and he moved his hand up to hold the side of my head. smiling he said, "it's okay Damien, i'm not going to bite. don't be afraid to tell me things, i'm always here."

        right i thought. he was always there, but this is one thing i couldn't say out of fear of his scorn or even the sheer amounts of, "oh, ew" which of course wouldn't be something i particularly want to happen, to lose my best friend like that. but, as usual, that stupid goofy grin that he decided to crack as he teased me more about being silent, caused me to blurt out, "I LIKE YOU, OKAY?!" effectively shutting him up out of surprise and causing other people to start staring. Anxiety driven, i took off and practically demanded the teacher let me go out to the bathroom. i wish i could say i saw his face, but i really couldn't in the tear blurred state i was in,

                Nope, not a horrid romantic movie scene, but hey, welcome to real life. It'll kick you down and keep on going until you can't get back up, and it loves to embarrass you, making you think that you have something, only to rip the rug out from under you. Welp, this ought to be fun.

The author's comments:

sorry about grammatical things, i became tired and fixing all the extra became way too much effort.

"i like you okay?!" Damien yelled, causing me to recoil back in shock. i figured something like that was the case, but i was unsure of my feelings for him. sure i would like to try it out, but at the same time, i was scared of letting him know about how i felt so i didn't get his hopes up and throw him into disappointment had it not worked out. when he rushed out, i simply sat there, dumbfounded and repeating the words again and again in my head. he likes me i thought, why the hell does he like me? what makes me different? i'm not all that cute or strong, or even all around intelligent, but perhaps there's something that he sees i don't. i just hope it isn't too late. waiting for the bell, i simply started writing a note, frustrated at my lack of skill at writing anything worthwhile that could effectively get the point across. 

        "god, this is useless," i quietly chastised myself, self loathing beginning to set in. "no damnit, i have to get this written out, so he knows and we can actually see if something works between us," 

        when the note was finally finished, i stared at it, shaking, oblivious to the guy walking up behind me

        "what'cha got there Zane?" a distinct sing song voice said behind me, causing me to jump and slam the paper down onto the table with a yelp.

        "none of your concern," i curtly replied to Thomas, friend of three years. his face told me that he obviously didn't believe a word i said, but he didn't pry out of respect.

        "fine, but you are seriously going to have to tell me about it afterwards, got it?"

        "can't promise anything, depends on what happens next," i sighed, muttering under my breath. 

        thankfully, the bell rang, and i headed straight to guidance, saying i was concerned for my friend, which i was, but i also needed to be able to talk to him on my own, so i offered to walk him to our next class, which he thankfully accepted.

        "s-so, uh, i have a note for you. please, don't read it until you get home, then think upon it, okay?"

        out of pure confusion and terror, Damien simply nodded in silence, refusing to look up. i sighed and hugged him, which made him jump, little noises escaping that confused me as to what noises they were. i was concerned more about whether or not i was crushing him. after letting him go, i rushed to my art class, only just making it.

        "nice to see you could join us Zane. now class, today we are going to touch on shading again. the first thing of course, is to get your art books ready and our shading tools," the rest faded out as i caught myself on more than one occasion drawing little hearts and simply writing little bits of poetry, all of it the stupid mushy shit that you see in the romance movies. As much as i hated it, i couldn't help but smile a bit, admiring my own work with how well all my words flowed together. 

'Argh, why did i have to send that stupid note to him? i couldve done so much better. Speaking up to him, being coy about it all and mysterious, hell, even simply outright kissing him wouldve worked, i think.' i silently berated myself for the rest of the hour, occasionally wondering what it would be like to be with him and enjoy his company as more than just friends. no, he wouldn't go for it, would he? Nah, he surely knows of better guys anyways. 'NO!! GET THOSE STUPID F'ING THOUGHTS OUT OF YOUR HEAD!' I silently yelled at myself, shaking my head viciously, heading out of class as soon as the bell rang, happy to get out of the awkward situation. Mary was the first one to appear next to me, already well versed in the situation.

        "Soo, how'd it go lover boy~?" she asked, nudging my arm teasingly. 

        "F off, not now," i replied curtly, a sour taste in my mouth.

        "Oh come on, can't be that bad y'know. I'm sure hes biting at the bit to see what that note says."

        "Oh, i'm sure he is, just for a far different reason than you think kiddo."

        Mary simply shrugged, walking off to her class while i went to lunch. Then i jumped about a foot in the air when i felt a tug on my bag. It was zane, his eyes glued to the floor. turning, i looked at him questioningly, then remembered: we share a lunch hour.

        "Z-zane," Damien said demurely, "um, i-i read the note you gave me, before i was told to. Please don't be mad at me." he sounded so pitiful, and i couldn't ever really stay mad at him, so of course, i just smiled and went on to lunch. 

        "Come on little one," I said, acting like he was one of the children I babysat, as being a min parental figure was all i really had at this point, being gentle so he doesn't run off. Was I upset? Nah, just a bit irritated, but i could deal. it wasn't a huge deal, i just get an answer way before i was looking to get one, maybe.

        Grabbing that horrible slop we call school lunch food, i sat down in our usual spot and Damnien sat next to me, keeping his eyes on the floor. Nonchalantly stretching out, i made a grunting noise, then sighed softly, beginning to eat.

        "So," i said, looking over at him, "any thoughts about the note?"

        he winced softly, then nodded his head, keeping silent. after a good few minutes of pure silence, he whispered one simple word.

I had to say it. This was a chance i couldn't afford to miss, especially with what was written down on that paper.

               Look, i know that you probably are gonna see this before i tell you to, whether or not you tell me your answer is up to you. I just want you to know that i like you, and have for quite some time. I'm not gonna jump into the whole "I love you and will do anything for you" because that's bullshit since love has to be worked towards, there is no such thing as love at first sight. Before i go on and ramble, taking several sheets of paper to get my point across, i like you and want to date you. If you would, give me your answer as you decide it. I nervously await the decision.

        Sighing soflty, i put it in my back pack, walking towards lunch while chris walks up behind me.

        "soo, what're you gonna say?" he asked.

        "I haven't decided yet," i replied, putting a dead look in my eyes as i walked on. He simply nodded. Somehow, he bought it, which i didn't understand. shaking my head, i continued, walking up behind Zane as Chris headed off to class with his girlfriend. 

           "Z-zane," I said, "um, i-i read the note you gave me, before i was told to. Please don't be mad at me."

         He sighed, then explained his lack of anger, then we sat down.

        "So," he said, "any thoughts about the note?"

        I nodded, then looked at the floor. After a few minutes, i simply said this one thing.

        Sighing, he simply looked at me, figuring he knew the answer that was coming.

        "So, do you have something that you want to say about it?" he asked, taking a deep breath.

        "Y-yes," i whispered.

        Damien twitched, then gently lifted my head, staring at my eyes. "Then what is it?"

        Repeating the word, i smiled softly, tears in my eyes, "yes."



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.