Hellbent Forrest | Teen Ink

Hellbent Forrest

March 29, 2019
By KatelynBethune, Hemet, California
More by this author
KatelynBethune, Hemet, California
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Long,  long ago in a forest far away, lived a horrid maiden whose name we dare not say. The reason behind the mystery was quite unknown until a benevolent prince could fill the castle’s thrown.

Everyone despised the looks of the female for her looks were rugged and dirty. She had the smell of the woods on her being, while twigs and leaves were nestled in her long, brown locks. While many assumed her days would be filled with misery, it was nothing but the opposite. For deep in the forest lay a small group of people who were outcasted from society for their weird attributes. Although the group was resented, they harbored no ill feeling or hatred to the kingdom for it was their differences that brought them together. Their small group was more a family, it consisted of two men and four women including the maiden herself.

    First to be outcasted was Cory, his love for a multicolored block made the townspeople think he was psychotic. Follow soon after by his lover Elestren who wore knee-high stockings with characters on them; the church deemed her as unholy and excommunicated her. Simply chased out by the women of the kingdom, was the heartbreaker, Colby. Next  Madi, a woman who thought she was actually a superhuman and conspired theories of a supposed ‘‘end game’’. Audrey, a simple rich woman who over gave was left bankrupt and forced to live on the streets. Just too charitable to a fault to ask for help she had no other option but to run away to the forest. Lastly was the maiden, who tried too hard to please people that no one knew who she really was; rumors circulated about her being a witch of many faces. Pressured into exile by the conservative kingdom none of them were accepted by the community. Yet nothing was more peaceful than their lives together in the forest. Without the pressures of the town, they could be fully themselves without any constraints, no need to hide or fear judgment.  Each and every one of them related to each for differences aside it was their hearts that gave them compassion and understanding, leading into trust, and an unbreakable bond.

   

    Outside of their peaceful forest, there was a prince named Miguel trying to control his kingdom that was turning to ruins. The people were going hungry, constantly mad edging for a war, as other kingdoms attempted to cease the land. For the small kingdom, he rules, they may not survive it. As Prince Miguel went on a midnight hunt in the dangerous forest to clear his mind from his struggles he encounters a wild beast. Flashes gold and brown streak past and around him as the beast drew closer. He readied his stance with fear pounding through his chest and cold chills running up his spine, waiting for an attack. Suddenly a whistle blew through the wind and the beast stopped in his tracks. A figure emerged from the shadows and ran to the prince. Awestruck by the person's courage and ability to control the beast, Prince Miguel fell to his knees. It was a young female dressed in a long pale gray nightgown. She had long brown hair, light brown eyes, and skin as pale as the moon that light the night. Her bewitching looks and bravery struck his heart like an arrow from Cupid’s quiver. As the women arrived she helped Prince Miguel up and began to rant off on what he planned to do with her golden retriever.

    “ What do you plan to do with my puppy?” she said angered

    “Why this is no puppy but a wild beast that was ready to attack me” exclaimed Prince Miguel

Puzzled by his statement she gave him a confused look.  While analyzing her body language, Prince Miguel decided to take a closer look at the beast. A bountiful amount of laughter burst through his chest, as he realized it really was a puppy.

“Hahaha! Look at the beautiful dog, my stress and this late hour must’ve led me to see things. I’m sorry for assuming your dog was a beast.” Prince Miguel said with embarrassment

“Well, I guess I’m sorry my dog ran to you, but people never go in the forest especially at this hour. Haven’t you heard a witch lives here.”

“Why if a witch lives here, why are you here? A feeble woman such as yourself has no business in the forest.”

“What business do I have, well this feeble woman lives here along with my friends who are more than capable of taking care of themselves” she huffed walking away with her golden puppy from the now ashamed prince. Meaning to apologized he followed her.

The maiden and her puppy soon disappeared into a house. 20 meters south from when they first met was two quaint little houses. None of the lights were on except for in one room. The prince realizing his mistake of going deep into the forest at such a late hour decided to knock on the door to the house she went in. Tired from his lack of sleep, went to the wrong house. An unexpected person opened the door. It was not the maiden but two men. They were angered by the disturbance of their slumber and prepared to throw Prince Miguel to the wolves. Prince Miguel began to cause a ruckus and woke all the people who lived in the two houses.

“What is going on here?” Said four women in nightgowns

“That is the man who followed me!” Screamed the maiden in the pale gray nightgown “He is here to harm us! He wants my puppy!”

The friends were triggered by her statement but before they could react Prince Miguel said something shocking:

“I am here to do no harm. I am merely lost and tired. I am no intruder just a passerby. I know I am a stranger but can I spend the night here for it is too late to return home right now.” Prince Miguel said anxiously

The people were also tired and assumed he meant no harm. They let Prince Miguel spend the night on the conditions that he sleeps in the men’s house and give his name. When prince Miguel told the group his name they thanked him because if it weren’t for his kingdom they wouldn’t have been brought together. They all introduced one another except for the mysterious maiden who scurried away after her puppy began to fall asleep.

Audrey who was most welcoming of the prince suggested the men give him clothes and a meal before his slumber. Her kindness continued to radiate after everything that happened to her. The Prince declined her offer for their generosity was more than enough. Time passed and everyone quickly fell asleep till a roosters crow woke the friends and the prince.

Prince Miguel hurried quickly out of the forest in the morning with the assistance of the maid, who he had not known the name. When he asked her name, she replied

“I cannot tell you my name because I do not know what lies behind that mask of yours.”

Puzzled, the Prince decided to leave it alone because today was a big day. It was coronation day. When the Prince got to the castle he promised the maiden, that he would return their kindness one day. And with all said and done, his exciting adventure had come to an end and it was time to handle business.

    Naturally, Prince Miguel was to be crowned king. Time went on and he had ruled the kingdom for 5 years till one day he got a letter from Audrey, stating that the maiden he was once helped by had fallen seriously ill and needed treatment. The nameless maiden had been banished from the kingdom over a decade ago, however, entrance to his lands was very secure. King Miguel was finally putting his kingdom together, the economy was stabilizing, people were happy. He had no time or need to help a nameless maiden. But that night something struck Miguel's heart. A feeling of remorse came through him and the nameless maiden’s beautiful face shown too. The following day the king quickly responded to Audrey's letter. The nameless maiden was to secretly be brought into the kingdom by the group of friends disguised as knights.

    All went well and their mission was successful. The nameless maiden received her treatment. The doctor treating the maiden told the press the king was housing bandits and witches in his castle. The doctor exploited the situation by selling it to the press and used the money, fleeing to another country in fear of punishment. When the kingdom heard the news they were greatly displeased and quickly demanded something to be done. King Miguel’s supervisor suggested he just banish them back to the forest, however, he could not do this to his friends. He became close to each and every one of them during their time in the castle, especially the nameless maiden. He doted on her every day in the hope her illness would be healed.

    Alas, the dreaded day came when King Miguel would have to come to a decision. While the people of his kingdom thought he would simply banish them back to the forest, he made a shocking decision. King Miguel said he would step down from his role as King and leave to the forest with to be with his friends. The friends were so happy with his surprising decision, and Miguel’s supervisor at the time filled in for his place on the empty throne. When Miguel finally stepped down the maiden started to feel better. When they all arrived at their new home in the forest, the maiden confessed her appreciation and love for Miguel. He was flattered, but could not reciprocate the feelings, because he had not known her name. The nameless maiden said softly,

    “Do not be shocked when I tell you my name is…” she paused in hesitation.

    “Is?” Miguel insistently questioned.

    “ My name is Katelyn. Why this may be shocking to you is, well because you yourself banished me from the land when I was only a young girl. I loved you but since you could not see me for who I was, you pushed me away.”

Memories of a girl named Katelyn suddenly flooded Miguel's mind. It brought him back to a time when he was a young man. He loved Katelyn but was displeased with her people pleasing attitude. He resented these feelings of love and pushed her away; his feelings were like a fire burning with a passion. That same fire was now rekindled. Their feelings were mutual and a sweet kiss was shared between the two of them. After that day Katelyn was no longer ill and the start of a beautiful romance was shared between her and Miguel.

    All was well for a few years till the neighboring country ceased the land of the kingdom. All except the forest. The forest was rumored to be filled with bandits, psychopaths, and witches; no one wanted the land where the friends lived. They decided to claim it for themselves and name it Hellbent forest. A place where everyone avoids yet they lived happily ever after there.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.