Royalty Hurts | Teen Ink

Royalty Hurts

March 26, 2021
By Anonymous

Author's note:

I am a sucker for a good romance book which gave me the insperation for this. 

The birds chirped and skwacked as seventeen year old Elizabeth's alarm was blaring in her ear. She swats at it and rips the cord out of the wall. She realized what time it was and decided to get up to go to work. This summer day was like any other for Elizabeth, she got up, got dressed and got ready for work. Elizabeth had been working at the same ice cream shop for the past three summers trying to save money to go to Paris before she went to college as her last harah. Elizabeth gathers her belongings and walks out of her house saying goodbye to her adoring parents who love Elizabeth endlessly. 

“Leaving so soon dear?” Elizabeth's mother gets up from the table and runs to Elizabeth 

“Yes mom I picked up an extra shift.”

 “Ok well be careful and take a breakfast bar will you?”

 Elizabeth so kindly gets the bar from her mom and walks out the front door. Just like every other morning Elizabeth shuffles around her purse looking for her keys to her bright blue, beat up car that was a gift from her parents. Elizabeth cranks up her radio all the way and starts belting out the words to a Katy Perry song. Elizabeth Rushes into the parking lot, grabs her viser and runs into the ice cream shop. After a six hour shift Elizabeth grabs her things and clocks out to leave the sticky smelly ice cream shop, tired and exhausted with bruises all over her arm. Elizabeth walks out of the shop staring at her feet when suddenly out of nowhere a 2021 black SUV comes barreling into the parking lot heading straight for Elizabeth. Elizabeth doges the car jumping just enough so it hits her car instead of her. Elizabeth brushes the dirt off of her and picks herself off the ground“Are you kidding me?!” Elizabeth rushes over to the car that just totaled hers and begins to bang on their window. Moments later four boys her age jump out of the car hysterically laughing. 

“Oh sorry dear” one says to Elizabeth in a snob tone ,

 “Did you have insurance on that I think you scratched by mothers car.” another said

 “Oh well it was time for another car” another adds. Elizabeth turns away from the obnoxious boys and begins to pick up all the items that fell out of her purse,  one of the boys who didn't make a comment to Elizabeth runs over to help her pick up her belongings that fell out of her hand when she was dodging death.

 “I-I am so sorry here let me help you.”

 “Don't you think you have done enough? How am I supposed to get home now? How am I supposed to pay for that?!” Elizabeth rips the things out of the boy's hand and begins to walk the other direction.

 “I don't think we got a good start. I'm Will and those are my brothers Charlie, Noah and James we are quadruplets.” Elizabeth- clearly ignoring Will, continues to ignore him as she calls her parents telling them what happened, Elizabeth finishes up speaking with her parents and begins to shoot glares at Will and his brothers.

 “We are really sorry about the damage.” Will says while trying to reach out for Elizabeth's hand. Elizabeth rips her hand out of Wills and continues to scowl at the boys. Elizabeth walks to her now totaled car and begins to throw all of her belongings into a box. Elizabeth pushes through her blown airbags and tears begin to fall down her face. Will and his brothers rush over to Elizabeth and discover how distraught Elizabeth is, 

“Uhh sorry.” Charlie says while trying to help Elizabeth get things out of her car. 

“It's fine,” Elizabeth says while whipping her tears away and grabs the things out of the boy's hands Elizabeth walks in front of her car, placing her box on the ground, the boys follow her.

“We will pay for your damage, my parents will cover everything.” Noah tries to grab Elizabeth's arm to have her address his suggestion, Elizabeth shows no interest and continues walking. “What's your problem? We are sorry for what happened can't you just be ok."

James stops in his tracks and waits for any response for Elizabeth. Elizabeth rolls her eyes ignoring the boys. Out of the corner of her eyes a tow truck that pulls in and pulls Elizabeth's bright blue car away. 

“Were really sorry” Will and his brothers all sigh and walk towards their car. 

Elizabeth watches the four boys walk to their barely damaged car. She leans against her car for a moment and gets a strange feeling in her stomach like there is a field of butterflies in there. She catches herself staring and decides to act on her feelings. She grabs her box of junk off the ground and chases after the brothers.

“Um, excuse me where do yall think you're going?” Elizabeth runs through the parking lot towards the boys.

 “We were going to go home why.” Elizabeth sighs and pushes the hair out of her eyes and gives a slight smile 

“Well these morons decided to crash into my car and well-I kinda need a ride back to my house.” Will looks at Elizabeth and smiles shining his perfect white teeth at her.

 “What horrible guys hop in.” Will kicks James out of the front seat and pats on the chair for Elizabeth to get in. Elizabeth's heart begins to beat rapidly fast and her stomach begins to turn as she steps into the car. She has never felt this way before.

 “What's the matter?” 

“What-oh nothing.” Elizabeth hands her box to Noah in the back seat and gets in the front. The teens begin to drive down the streets of Basin City Elizabeth grabs her stomach shuffling around in her seat. 

“You didn't look too good, are you sure you are ok?”

 “Well, I'm just trying to figure out how i'm going to pay for a car.”

 “We already told you my parents have it covered.”

 “Oh please I'm not going to take something from people I don't know.” 

“Elizabrth would you get in the car with people you don't know?” 

“What in the world kind of question is that heck no.”

 “Well then it looks like we know you.” Elizabeth snaps her head back at Will who is shining his white teeth at Elizabeth. 

“Ugh whatever”. Elizabeth begins to get butterflies in her stomach and she can't help but smile back at Will. Elizabeth can't help but think who these guys are and where they came from. 

“I have a question for you.” Will looks up from the road and looks at Elizabeth.

 “Well you seem like a good driver.” Will's face begins to get red.

“Well thanks.”

 “So how the hell did you crash into my car?” Noah, Charlie, and James begin to laugh in the back, Elizabeth gets embarrassed she cant help but think to herself if it is something she said. James makes his way to the front.

“Well he was you know- distracted.” Charlie pulls him back.

 “Yeah and it wasn't his phone.” Elizabeth looks back at the brothers than at Will.

 “What was it.” 

 “Well I saw something gorgeous.” Elizabeth's heart skips a beat and sinks into her chair. “Really?” “Yeah, uh-hm it-it was the girl who walked into the shop when you were walking out.” These words brought Elizabeth's confidence tumbling down. 

“Do you know her, she was wearing the same thing you were.” Elizabeth turns herself away from Will and looks out the window.

 “Uh yeah thats Sarah.”  Will looks at Elizabeth who refuses to even look at him

 “Good to know.” 

“You know what guys you can drop me off here.” Elizabeth begins to grab her stuff off the ground and her box from the back seat. 

“Elizabeth the GPS says we are still two miles away from your house.” Elizabeth holds onto the door handle and unbuckles her seat belt.

 “It's fine go back, maybe you can catch Sarah.

 “Eliz-” Elizabeth slams the door, cutting off whatever Will was saying. Elizabeth begins walking to her house carrying the last things left in her car thinking to herself. 

“How could I let myself fall for someone who was so reckless.” Elizabeth reaches her house and drops her box on the porch running into her mom who greets her with open arms. 

“What happened honey.” Elizabeth sighs and tears fall down her face 

“Nothing, just my car is gone.” 

“It's ok we will figure it out, I mean if worse comes to worse you can use your paris funds.”

 “Oh yeah I guess.” Elizabeth pushed her mom off of her and walked to her room 

“Do you want dinner?” 

“No thanks mom, I ate before I came home.”

 “Ok then love you.”

 “Love you mom” Elizabeth plops on her bed wishing she had done something or said something different to possibly catch Wills eye.

 “If only I were Sarah and I caught his eye.” Elizabeth tosses and turns all night catching only a few hours of sleep.  Dreaming of her encounter with the Loyal brothers. 

The next morning Elizabeth woke up dreading for the day ahead of her wondering if she was going to run into the quadruplets or if they were going to come into the ice cream shop to see Sarah. Elizabeth sits on her bed and thinks to herself if going to work that day was even worth it. A sudden knock comes to Elizabeth's door. Elizabeth creaks the door open seeing her mothers sweet face.

“Hi honey I noticed you have  had a hard time getting going today so I called work and told them you weren't coming in today.” Elizabeth smiles and hugs her mom 

“Thank you.” 

“So Sweetie I was thinking since school is in two days maybe we can go get you some new clothing to start your senior year off right.” Elizabeth sat on her bed fascinated by the fact that her senior year was already here.

 “ Honey you ok?” 

“Oh yeah mom.” 

“Ok well I will be down stairs waiting.”

 “Ok I will be there in a minute.” Elizabeth watched her mother exit her room and go down the hall. Elizabeth gets up off her bed and closes her door, she turns around and sees her work hat sitting in the corner of her room with pieces of clothing covering it so it is barely showing. Elizabeth walks over to her hat, clears all the dirty clothes off it and stares at it.

“This was the hat I was wearing when he came into my life.” Elizabeth puts the hat up to her chest and smiles.

 “Well I will never see him or his brothers again.” Elizabeth throws her hat down back to the floor and picks out an outfit for the day. For the first time ever Elizabeth second guessed her outfit choice, she wasn’t really sure why but she did. She refused to even let the thought that the reason was because of her encounter with the Loyar brother but deep down she knew that was the reason, even though Will showed little interest in Elizabeth she still had hope deep down that the kid who smashed into her car secretly felt the same way. 

“ELIZABETH” Elizabeth caught herself smiling in the mirror while her mother stood at the bottom of the stairs yelling for Elizabeth to hurry up.

 “Coming mom” Elizabeth grabs her purse and rushes down the stairs meeting her mom.

 “Honey I was in the car for ten minutes, who are you getting all dressed up for?” Elizabeth looks at herself and runs back up the stairs. 

“Are you kidding me ugh I will be in the car.” 

“Okay mom I will be there in five.” Elizabeth rips her blouse off and tears her nicest jeans off her tan sun kissed skin. She throws them into the chair on the opposite side of her room and through her black lululemon shorts and her oversized sweatshirt that had a small tear at the neckline on. Elizabeth stood in the mirror and thought to herself .

“I’m not getting dressed up for anyone but myself.” Elizabeth grabs her bag and races down the stairs to meet her mom in the car.

 “Well that wasn’t weird honey, is everything ok you seem a bit off.” Elizebeth closes her door and giggles at her mom. 

“Mom everything is fine there is nothing to be worried about, just a strange day at work yesterday.”

 “Ok if you say so.” Elizabeth’s mom begins to back out of their driveway and head to the local shops in their small town of Basin city. Elizabeth’s mom pulls into the parking spots in the front of all the shops on Basin Main Street, Elizabeth gets out of the car and  her and her mom walk into all the stores on the strip. Each store they walk into they walk out of with a huge dent in the credit card and bags cutting off their circulation. 

“Ok sweetie I think I’m done.”

 “What mom already?”

 “Honey it has been four hours we have hit every store here.” 

“Yeah except Shelby rose.” This was Elizabeth's favorite store. It was filled wall to wall with clothing that was totally in style for the girls Elizabeth’s age. 

“Uhh ok honey here is my keys and card please don’t go crazy just get a few cute items and maybe something extra cute to maybe find a boyfriend this year.” Elizabeth’s mom hands her all of her belongings and bags and walks away.

 “Mom, how are you going to her home.” 

“Don’t worry dad is right around the corner.” Elizabeth sighs and waves goodbye at her mother turning the corner. Elizabeth walks to her mothers car and puts the bags she had gotten into the back seat. Elizabeth locks the door and turns around to go into Shelby rose. Right as she turns around she slams herself into a tall figure. This tall figure smelled like a sweet calone and was very muscular. Elizabeth knew this cologne, Elizabeth pushed this large figure away knowing exactly who it was. 

“Sorry I didn’t see you there.” Elizabeth looks up and sees Will.

 “No prob lizzy I saw you.” Elizabeth's heart begins to race and her stomach begins to turn. She looks at her casual outfit and begins walking thinking to herself “Great of course I look like I just walked out of a junkyard.” 

“You know a lady shouldn’t be walking all alone in the middle of the day.”  Elizabeth stops and looks at him strangely. 

“You do know where we are right? Basin city the town where absolutely nothing ever happens.” “Well maybe that’s true but you still need a escort.” Elizabeth laughs and turns to look at Will, “Well I don't need one I can hold my own.” Will looks at Elizabeth and smiles blinding her with his glistening white teeth. He places his arms on her shoulders and says “ Lizzy did I do something to upset you?” Elizabeth grabs his hands off her shoulders and crosses her arms.

 “No what could you have possibly done.” Will smiles.

“Ok Lizzy whatever you say, I think something is bothering you but you just don't think you can tell me.” 

“Will nothing is bothering me but if something was I barely know you so why would I tell you?.” Will nods his head.

 “Do you need a hug Lizzy?” Elizabeth looks at Will as if he had nine eyes.

 “What, why would I need a hug.”

 Elizabeth begins to get flustered; she crosses her arms and points her foot out.

 “Oh um I'm not saying you did, I'm just trying you know um.” Will continues to stumble on his words, Elizabeth can't help but laugh at him. “It's fine what do you need Will?” Will smiles and looks at his perfectly polished white shoes “I saw you having trouble with your bags so I thought I could help.” Elizabeth holds up her empty arms ``I think i'm ok but thanks.” “Well I can see that now.” “Come on.” Elizabeth starts to walk into Shelby Rose.

“Where are you going?” 

“Well we are going in here” she points to Shelby Rose.

“Why?” 

“Well I need new clothes and you want to help so you can hold my stuff, come on now pick up the pace.” Will laughs while he does a slow jog to catch up with Elizabeth. The two walk into the shop and look at all the many pieces they have, Elizabeth begins tossing clothes and hangers at Will making him carry around all the things she liked.

“This is what you do for fun.”

 “Um yes why?”

 “Well where I am from I dont go and do things like this.”

 “Oh really where are you fr-” Elizabeth stops dead in her tracks and stares at the tall mannequin standing in the back of the store. 

“What is it Liz?” Will pushes all the clothes out of his face and sets them on a chair in the back of the store. Elizabeth laid eyes on an elegant green dress, it was silky with a slit in the leg. “Wow” 

“Get it” Elizabeth looks at Will. 

“Yeah when I have a ball to go to I will get it.”

 “Oh come on just get it.” Elizabeth turns back to look at the dress and picks up the price tag. 

“I'll get it when I hit a gold mine.” The two begin to laugh and continue looking. Will keeps looking back at the dress.

 “Ok I think we have picked up enough stuff I am going to go and try it on now.” 

“Ok Lizzy I will be right here maybe we can get something to eat after.” Elizabeth smiles and looks at her shoes.

 “Sure but you're buying.” Will laughs and smiles. Elizabeth closes the door to her dressing room and takes a deep breath and begins pacing as she thinks to herself what had she gotten herself into. She sits on the pile of clothes she brought back with her and smiles.

After Elizabeth works her way through the pile of clothes she picks out her favorite items and walks out of the fitting room. She looks around for Will who is nowhere to be seen.

 “Why  am I not surprised.” Elizabeth walks to one of the sales associates and asked if she had seen when Will went,

 “Umm excuse me did you see where the boy that was just here went?”

“Oh the really cute one?”

“Sure I guess.”

“Well he got a phone call and ran out, I saw him get in the back of a big black SUV though.”

“Oh ok.” Elizbeths face fills with confusion. Why would he leave her after making plans? Why was he getting strange phone calls and getting picked up in dark SUVS?  Elizabeth grabs her things, checks out and leaves the store. Elizabeth's eyes fill up with tears as she wonders why she did this to herself again, she throws the bags in the back of her mom's car and slams the door. Due to her eyes being filled with tears she could hardly see a thing causing her to run into three large men. 

“Elizabeth?” One questionably asked 

“What?” Elizabeth wipes the tears from her eyes seeing who these men were. It was Will's brothers Charlie, Noah and James. They were wearing Lululemon shorts and oversized sweatshirts with crisp clean Air Force ones on their feet. Charlie steps out of the group of boys and offers Elizabeth a tissue.

“Are you ok?” Charlie asked while putting his hand on her shoulder.

“Yes.” Elizabeth was quick to reply. Elizabeth refuses the tissue and wipes her eyes with her raged sweatshirt. Noah walks away from Charlie who was still holding back, afraid to engage in what seemed like a problem he didn't want to be involved in. Noah lowers himself down bending his knees to look at Elizabeth's face.

“Wow your face is really red.” He stands back up laughing. Elizabeth can't help but laugh back.

“There she is.” James now decides to enter the conversation. Noah laughs with the rest of the teens.

“So are you ok?”

“Yes, what are you guys doing here?” Elizabeth tries desperately to change the subject to get the spotlight off her.

“Oh just cruising through town, Will is supposed to meet us for lunch do you want to come?” 

Elizabeth fills with rage. 

“When did he make these plans?” she asked eagerly to see if he canceled plans with her.

“Maybe ten minutes ago.”

“What?” Elizabeth sighs.

“Yeah why.” 

“UM” Elizabeth searches for a possible explanation to tell the brothers.

“Hey there he is.” Charlie waves his hand in the air. A black car pulls over to the side of the street that the teens were on. Will in all his glory hops out of the strange car running to his brothers side. His brunette hair bouncing off his precious head, his legs gliding through the air. Elizabeth had to catch herself from staring.

“Hey guys.” Will winks at Elizabeth who replies with an eye roll. She begins to walk to the driver side of the car.

“Where are you going.” Will and his brothers all say simultaniasly, it must have been the quadruplet powers.

“Home.” Elizabeth slams her car door starting the enicion  leaving the boys confused.

The entire way home Elizabeth sits in silence wondering how she was once again in that situation. 

When Elizabeth arrives home her dad races outside to greet her. 

“Hey honey, how was your day?” Her dad reaches into Elizabeth's purse to grab his credit card back. Elizabeth giggles and hugs her dad.

“It was good.”

“Well i'm glad, are you already for your last first day tomorrow?” 

“I suppose.”

“Come on in, your mom is making sandwiches.” Elizabeth pulls all her many bags out of the car and follows behind her dad. 

The rest of the day went by rather quickly for Elizabeth. She was able to keep herself busy by getting ready for her first day of school the next day. She cleaned her clothes, backpack, lunchbox, and herself. She went through all the many items of clothing she got and sat and stared at herself in the mirror wondering what she should wear. Suddenly Elizabeth phone begins to ring, she picks it up and sees that it is her best friend Emily calling. Emily and Elizabeth have been best friends for years now and tell each other everything.

“Hey Em what's up?”

“OMG Liz you are going to die.”

“Why am I” Elizabeth asked while folding her clothes.

“Ok well long story short there are four new guys coming to our school!”

“Four real-” Elizabeth realizes what this meant, that the loyal brothers would be going to her school.

“Hello Liz? Did you say something.”

“Oh no no no Em so tell me about these boys.”

“Well that's the thing nobody knows what they are about.”

“Interesting.”

“I know! Anyway I have to go, I just had to spill.”

“Ok see ya tomorrow?”

“You know it.”

Elizabeth hangs up the phone and plops on her bed. While she was laying there she kept thinking to herself “well this is great.” Elizabeth lay there for a while, she honestly lost track of time until she heard her mom calling her from the bottom of the stairs that dinner was ready. Elizabeth jumps out of her bed and heads downstairs. Elizabeth decided she wasn't going to let these brothers especially Will cloud up her mind. She sits down with her dad who was grinning from ear to ear. 

“Dad what are you smiling about?”

“I'm smiling because I just got off the phone with your principle.”

“Already dad school hasn't even started yet.”

“Well he called to let me know that you are in the top 1 percent of your class.” Eliabeth already knew this information but for her dads sake she decided to go along with it.

“What?! That is amazing!” Elizabeth dad jumps out of his chair and gives Elizabeth a kiss on the head. 

“This is going to be a great year for you honey!”

Elizabeth smiles at her overjoyed and thinks to herself “I can't let my parents down especially for some dumb boy.” Elizabeth eats her dinner enjoying her time with her parents. 

“So honey, how is that Paris fund coming?” Elizabeth mom gets up from the table to get a glass of water.

“Good mom I'm almost there!” 

“That's great sweetheart, and how is the car situation going? Elizabeth begins pushing  her food all around her plate trying to ignore the question.

“Um mom I'm not sure, I'm trying to pick up extra shifts but that is only so much.” Elizabeth sighs, as her father raises from the table.

“And why aren't the people who hit you paying for a car.” Her dad says as he cleans his plate.

“I'm not sure.”

“We'll figure it out.” 

Elizabeth finishes her dinner, kisses her parents goodnight and heads up stairs to go to sleep for her first day of senior year.

Elizabeth woke up to the sound of birds chirping, the crisp morning light shining through the blinds and the smell of french toast coming from the kitchen. Elizabeth rolls over and sees that she woke up five minutes before her alarm, she sighs and sits up.

Ten minutes later Elizabeth rolls out of bed and looks at the outfit she picked out the night before, she smiles at it and skips to the bathroom to get ready. Elizabeth jumps in the shower and finishes her makeup. She looks in the mirror surprised with what a little contour and mascara can do for a girl. She leaves the bathroom and sits at her vanity where she began to fry her hair with her curling iron, for the first time in her life Elizabeth was able to achieve the effortless looking curls that actually took a lot of effort. She runs her fingers through them and lets them fall out of her fingers creating the beachy look. Elizabeth gets up from her vanity and throws on her outfit. A pair of black ripped jeans with a white turtleneck and a graphic tee shirt (all things she picked up from her shopping adventures the day before) she grabs her jewelry and carefully puts every piece on. Her small hoop earrings, a gold necklace and a gold bracelet that sat on her wrist. She puts her socks on and completes the look with a pair of her air force Nike sneakers. Elizabeth grabs her backpack and races down the stairs to get her mom's famous french toast. Elizabeth's mother was setting the table when Elizabeth took a spill down the stairs. 

“Oh dear.” Elizabeth's mom rushes to her aid. Elizabeth pops right up with a smile across her face.

“Must be these new shoes.” Elizabeth and her mother both laugh as they walk to the table.

“You look so good honey, do all the clothes fit?”

Elizabeth begins to scarf down her food as she looks at the time.

“Yes mom they all fit, can I have the keys please?” Elizabeth jumps up from  the table meeting her mom in the kitchen and grabs the keys out of her hand.

“I love you honey.”

“I love you too.” Elizabeth runs down the stairs and jumps in her mom's car racing to school.

All the other years Elizabeth had gone to school she has always been nervous. But this year was different; she didn't feel any bit of nervousness; she actually felt good. Elizabeth pulled into her parking spot “123” this was the best spot on the lot, Elizabeth mom waited in line for three hours to make sure Elizabeth had this spot. Everyone in the school that drove wanted this spot. It was close to the doors, it had trees for shade, it was next to a bunch of teachers cars so she wouldn't have to worry about her car getting crashed into and it was close to the exit it had everything. Just around the corner was Elizabeth's best friend Emily, she runs over Elizabeth's car and jumps right in making the car go off balance. 

“Wow, at least let me put the car in park first.” 

“Sorry, I just uh hee.” Emily is gasping for air. She is clearly out of breath.

“Are you ok?”

“What yes, just that was the most running I have done since freshman year.” Emily shoves her face in front of Elizabeth's car vent and cranks the ac up.

“Girl come on we have to go get our class schedule.”

“Eh ok,” Emily slowly takes her head away from the air vents and opens the door. The two begin to walk into the highschool. The halls are as busy as ever annoying freshman run around like a chicken with their heads cut off. Elizabeth got run into at least seven times growing each time. 

“I swear each year they get worse, they look like middle schoolers.”

“Oh please Liz we were just like them.” Elizabeth scowls at Emily.

The two girls go up to the large table sitting in the cafeteria. There are four tables each marked with the grade number. Elizabeth and Emily walk up to the table that reads twelve. 

“Name.” The lady who was sitting at the table was at least eighty-two years old.

“Hi my name is Emily.”

“Ok last name.”

“Emily Krook.” The lady shuffles her wrinkly fingers through the stack of bright orange papers she slobbers all over her red nail polished painted finger and sicks her hand back in the pile pulling out a paper and ID.

“This is all you need, what's your name sweet heart.” She was pointing at Elizabeth.

“Elizabeth Cooley.” The lad once again begins to shuffle through the pile but this time she pulls out a sticky note.

“Hm ok well this says you need to go to the counselor so run along.” The two girls turn there back to the grumpy old lady and walk away.

“Why do I have to go to the counselor? I submitted my form on time.”

“I don't know the girl but I got to go.” Emily runs off to catch up with some of her other friends who were walking to the english hall. Elizabeth trunks the corner and walks into the counseling office. The walls are covered with inspirational posters and brochures fill up the desk. 

“Um hi the lady at the table gave me this posted note and told me to come to her.” The lady at the desk flashed her huge crooked smile at Elizabeth. 

“Ok sweetie I will let her know you are here.” Elizabeth steps back from the desk and sits on one of the chairs that looks funny and when she sat down felt even funnier. She looks at the clock knowing at this rate she is going to be late to her first class on the first day. 

“Elizabeth hi sweetie.” The door swings open.

“Hello Mrs.Summers, how are you doing today.” Elizabeth grabs her bag and begins approaching the door.

“Oh you know sweetie first day craziness, between you and I, this is the third shit I have changed into today.” Elizabeth laughs awkwardly as she sits in Mrs.Summers office. 

“Ok sweetie do you know why you are here?” Elizabeth shifts around in her seat.

“No Ma'am I don’t.”

“Ok well you know how you have been lined up to be valedictorian all these years?”

“Yes.” Elizabeth rises from her seat.

“Well it seems that you now have some competition.”

“Who is it.”

“Well  i'm glad you asked because you will be giving them a tour of the school today.”

“Them?! There are more than one?”

“Oh yes darling there are four they are quadruplets, and very hanson ones.” At that moment Elizabeth knew exactly who Mrs.Summers was talking about. 

“They just moved her from Europe but they attended boarding schools around the world.”

“Mrs. Summers, may I ask why I am the one giving them the tour?”

“Good question honey, the answer is because all of you have signed up for the exact same classes so all of you schedules are the same.”

“You're kidding me.” Elizabeth looks up to the ceiling and slumps back onto the chair.

“Oh sweetie it won't be that bad, hey maybe on the bright side you might end up with one of them.” Elizabeth scowls at Mrs.Summers.

“Well sweetie here is your schedule, i'm going to go get the boys.” Elizabeth looks at all the bright orange schedules that Mrs.Summers left on the table each one exactly like each other and to make matters worse on each paper it says what parking spot everyone has and of course each of the boys are parked next to Elizabeth. The door begins to slowly open and all Elizabeth hears is Mrs. Summers cackling at one of the boys. All four of the boys walk in behind Mrs. Summers all holding a posted note like Elizabeth was. Elizabeth looks at Mrs. Summers ignoring the boys. 

“Ok boys this is-”

“Lizzy” Will cuts in the middle of Mrs. Summers sentence. 

“Oh do you boys know Elizabeth.”

“Yes Ma’am” Will looks at Elizabeth smiling profusely at her. 

“Well boys as I told Elizabeth you all are working to become the next valedictorian so good luck to all of you and my door is always open for any of you; Elizabeth will be showing you to each of your classes due to all of you having the exact same schedule.” The boys all begin laughing and celebrating this news.

“Elizabeth you may now show Will, Charlie, Noah and James to their classes thank you all.” Elizabeth grabs the pile of orange papers and smacks them on Wills chest. The boys follow her out of the office into the busy halls of Basin High school.

“So Lizzy looks like you stuck with us.” Will taps his brothers who are looking around the halls.

“Not by choice.” Elizabeth begins to fast walk.

“Wow looks like you're not a morning person.” Elizabeth stops dead in her tracks.

“Really what gives you that impression maybe I am a morning person but did you ever stop and think that I don't want to spend my entire senior year with someone who stood me up? You literally left me in Shelby Rose by myself after you told me we were going to go hang out.” Charlie, James, and Noah all begin to look at each other. 

“You mean the day we saw you crying on the sidewalk.”

“You were crying?” Will's smile grows into a straight face as he walks closer to Elizabeth.

“Keyword where im not anymore i'm over it.” Elizabeth whips around throwing her beach curls in Wills face and begins walking.

“Come on boys we don't want to be late” Charlie, Noah, and James pick up their feet and begin to follow Elizabeth. Seconds later Will follows. All the boys finally meet up with Elizabeth who is avoiding eye contact with all of them.

“Ok so our first teacher is Mr. Nerk, he is the most sexist man alive. She teaches AP history and he will make or break you, don't be alarmed if I begin to cry, I do that alot.” Elizabeth scowls at Will with her snarky remark. 

“If you make friends with him you're good so you will see a side of me that I myself am ashamed of- my suckup side.” Elizabeth takes a deep breath and walks into her history class. Mr. Nerk is already yelling Elizabeth walks in and sits in the front of the class. The boys follow behind her.

“Elizabeth wasn't kidding.” 

“No I wasn't.” Elizabeth pulls out her 2 ½ in notebook and sets it on her desk. 

“How do you already know what you need?”

“Because I emailed my teachers in advance asking them.” The class begins and more students flood into the classroom all avoiding Elizabeth. 

“Elizabeth may I ask you a question?” 

“Sure Charlie.”

“Why are all the kids avoiding you?” 

“Not sure maybe because they know I mean business in school and know that all of you are here I have to work twice as hard.” Charlies sits back in his seat whispering something to Noah. Will moves up a chair so he is right next to Elizabeth. Elizabeth's heart begins to race; she reminded herself of what he had done to her in the past but all that left her mind when she smelled his Tom Ford cologne. He pulls the desk closer to hers.

“Hey Lizzy, listen, about the other day, i'm really sorry I left.”

“Where did you have to go?” 

“ I forgot I had to be somewhere.”

“Ok and you couldn't tell me you were leaving?”

“I'm sorry, and i'm sorry I made you cry.”

“Oh please you didn't make me cry.” This lie made Elizabeth's stomach begin to turn.

“Ohhh ok sure.” Will smiles at Elizabeth again making the butterflies in her stomach fly all around.

“So Lizzy tell me when is lunch?”

“Well we have history then english then science then we have lunch for an hour.”

“And where do you go for lunch?”

“Well there is a good sandwich shop across the street that if you give them your order they will have it ready then I like to sit in my car and take a nap.”

“Ok and let's say you went out with a friend what would you do?”

“Oh I just let them pick, I hate having that decision.”

“Ok well then Lizzy I would like to have a make up lunch.” Elizabeth's heart drops into her stomach.

“Really? You don't have any appointments you need to get to?” Elizabeth's gut told her not to go and agree but her heart wanted to see where this would go even if it caused her to have another meltdown.

“Not today im all yours.” Elizabeth smiles and looks down at the desk, Will sees her smile and pushes her on the shoulder as he moves away.

The classes up until lunch flew by in no time before Elizabeth knew it she was walking with Will to the parking lot. 

“Ok whose car are we taking.”

“Yours, my mom already hates the fact that i'm driving her car so lets try and not put more miles on it.”

“You still don't have a car?” Elizabeth looks at her feet.

“No” this was the quietest response she has ever given.

“Have you looked at any yet.”

“Yes, but they are either too expensive or they are a piece of junk.”
“How do you plan on paying for it?”

“Well the insurance is giving me some and I have some from working but at this rate I will either have to get another job or use my Paris funds.” Will stops in the middle of the sidewalk, people begin to mumble and walk around him.

“What are you doing?” Will grabs Elizabeth on the shoulders.

“Let me help.” Elizabeth giggles.

“Will it be ok I will figure it out.”

“No Elizabeth, it's not ok that I crashed into your car because I was blinded by your beauty.” Will grims at Elizabeth who confused smiles back.

“My beauty?” Elizabth heart begins to race so fast that her apple watch alerts her to stop whatever she is doing.

“Yes, it was you I was distracted by not that other girl.” Elizabeth smiles and grabs Will's hands.

“Oh fine if you insist you can get me a AFFORDABLE car not one of the cars you or your brothers drive.” Elizabeth points to the 100,000 dollar trucks each of his brothers drive.

“Fine, I will call my parents and let them know the good news, here take the keys and hope I will be there in a few.” Will turns away from Elizabeth talking to his mother on the phone Elizabeth smiles and jumps into Will's truck. She makes eye contact with Charlie, Noah and James who all make the kissing face at Elizabeth, she ignores them and turns away making eye contact with Emily who was freaking out at the sight she saw. Will gets into the truck and smiles at Elizabeth.

“Well my parents want to meet you and formally apologize for my actions and my mom wants to help you pick out your car.” Elizabeth smiles

“I don't want to put them out of their way.”

“Trust me you wont, oh and I called the sandwich shop and they have our food ready.” Elizabeth smiles at Will and sits back into her seat while her face begins to go rosey. The two begin to drive across the street to the local sandwich shop, Will jumps out of the driver seat and opens up Elizabeth's door. Elizabeth was very flattered the only man she had ever seen do this was her father opening the door for her mother.

“Thank you Will.”

“Of course Lizzy.” He shuts her door and grabs her hand. Elizabeth once again was flattered no boy has ever held her hand. Her palm begins to get sweaty so she rips it away.

“Are you ok.” Elizabeth wipes her palms on her black jeans as she steps back.

“Oh yeah I just forgot my wallet in my backpack.” Will steps back and grabs her hand again.

 “Lunch is on me.” Elizabeth smiles as she looks at her feet. This is something she did often.

“Your hair looks really pretty today Lizzy.” 

“Oh please I woke up and ran out of the house.” Little did he know that her hair took at least and hour and a half. Will walks up to the counter and grabs the food and pays, Elizabeth had low expectations on the chances of him getting her order right was very slim but she would be happy with whatever she got. The two went and sat on the picnic benches outside of the small sandwich shack. Elizabeth was pleasantly surprised when she opened up her sandwich and it was exactly what she liked.

“How did you know?”

“I asked around.”

“That's not creepy at all.” Elizabeth began laughing.

“No it's not, ha I called and asked if they knew who you were and if they could make your sandwich the way you liked it.” Elizabeth was in awl nobody has ever been that concerned about what she was eating was what she liked.

“Ok so about later.”

“Can you still come? I can cancel if it is too much.”

“No Will it is really ok, just my mom wants her car back so she was wondering if you can follow me home then drive me to meet your parents.”

“Oh yeah I can do that.” The two finish their lunch and Elizabeth enjoyed every second of it. To her Will seemed so pure and genuinely sweet and caring. 

“Ok we should get back and meet your brothers so they don't get lost.”

“Ok Lizzy whatever you say.” Will throws the twos trash away, Elizabeth looks at her phone and sees that it is blowing up. People she never even met are asking who the mystery boys are. She sees one text from Emily that reads. 

“Umm excuse me Mrs. Girl, why are you going out with the hottest boy in school.” Elizabeth just looked at the text and ignored it. 

“Lizzy are you ready?”

“Oh yeah.” Elizabeth puts her phone in the back of her pocket and grabs Will's hand, Will opens her door and makes sure she safely gets in. 

The rest of the school day went by fast for Elizabeth the thought of hanging out with Will and his family and getting a new car was reason enough for Elizabeth to look forward to the end of the day. The last bell rang and all the Loyal brothers and Elizabeth got up.

“Ok Charlie, Noah, and James meet us at the dealership. I'm going to make sure Lizzy here drops her mom's car off ok.” The brothers laugh as Will puts his hand on Elizabeth’s shoulder like an old pal. The group leaves the school and proceeds to walk to their cars. Elizabeth gets in her car and zips away Will's extraneous loud truck rumbles behind her and she takes off in front of him. Elizabeth pulls in her driveway and pops out of the car, Will at least thirty-five seconds behind her.

“Ok Mrs.Speedy” 

“Oh be quiet” Elizabeth grabs her purse and jumps into Wills truck. The two begin to drive back down Elizabeth's street. 

“Care to explain to me where we're going?”

“Oh Lizzy I already told you, we are meeting my parents at a car dealership.”

“I know that Im not completely stupid I mean we just passed the only car dealership in down.”

“Yeah that's the used car dealership we are going to a place closer to my house.”

“Eh ok.” Elizabeth begins to get nervous about how she will make herself out to be in front of his family. Why couldn't they go to the used car dealership what was so wrong with that. Will notices Elizabeth's distraughtness.

“You ok?”

“What oh yeah just a little nervous.”

“Why.”

“Because this is the first time meeting your parents and they are buying me a car.”

“Oh please they are the kindest people around and my dad buys a new car at least once a month so this time it won't be for himself.”

“What do your parents do.”

“Well right now my father is a wall street business man but he has a lot of family ties in Europe.”

“Like what.”

“Oh ya know normal stuff, but my mother is the kindest lady you will ever meet but she has a lot of sass just like you.” Elizabeth smiles at Will. She couldn't help herself but think about what Will said. What ties could they have in Europe. Before she could think anymore Will pulls his truck into a parking lot with shiny new cars all around. 

“Will.” Elizabeth glares at Will who is sitting there flashing his shiny white teeth.

“Oh please did you really expect a used car?” James,Charlie and Noah pop out of the large black suv parked in front of the door. All the brothers are wearing the same things they wore to school that day. Oversized sweatshirts, Lululemon shorts and air force ones. They all walk to Will's car. Behind them the SUV opens and a beautiful lady steps out of the car, she is holding a Louis Vuttion bag and all designer clothes, behind her a tall olive tones man built much like his sons get out of the car, the driver shuts the door behind them and stands guard. Elizabeth stomach drops she wasn't sure what to expect but it wasn't this.

“Well you must be Elizabeth I am Mary Rose, my friends call me Mary and you are my friend.” Mary had a strong british accent. She sticks her hand out to shake Elizabeth's, her hands were well taken care of with no chipped nail, her hands felt like silk, much different than Elizabeths who had bruises all over them from ice cream scooping and were bitten raw from stress. 

“Yes Ma’am it's so nice to meet you.” Elizabeth reaches her hand back and they exchange a friendly handshake. The boys can see Elizabeth's nervousness and decide to intervene in the situation.

“Ok mom so what's the plan?” Noah asked. Mary lets go of Elizabeth's hand and drops down to her side swinging for a few seconds. Will moves closer to Elizabth and touches her shoulder in a kindly friendly form assuring her she is fine. 

“Well sweetie I'm having Joshua pull some of their nicest cars.” Mary looks at Elizabeth and giggles.

“Once again honey im so sorry my son hit you there is no amount I can pay that will make up for it.”

“Oh no Mary it's really ok.” Elizabeth smiles at Mary who looks like she might cry. All the brothers see the same thing and look at each other trying to hold back their laughter from seeing their mother get so attached to a car she never saw. 

“Ok Mary they are pulling some around now.” The large Olive man steps out of the sun making his face clear to Elizabeth. Elizabeth's jaw drops this man was so handsome she thought to herself, his face structure was immaculate (just like his sons) he had the whitest smile you would have been blinded by if you saw it and he was dressed to impress. 

“You must be Lizzy.” The large olive tones man sticks his firm hand out reaching for Elizabeths.

“Uh ha yes sir.” Elizabeth reaches her hand back out giggling that he called her Lizzy when the only other person who did was Will. 

“Well I am Nathen.” 

“It is nice to meet you.”

“Likewise my son is always talking about you.” Elizabeth's face gets red and she looks nervously at her feet.

“Dad!” Will groulded at his father for embarrassing not only Elizabeth but himself.

“Oh son she knew I was kidding.” moments late the tension was broken by the sound of three cars pulling up next to the group. These aren't the cars that filled the parking lot at the dealership nor these were hummers. Hummers where what Elizabeth knew as the Mafia car. Six men jumped out of each car holding a weapon and covering their faces with a mask. Terrified Elizabeth looks at Will who is looking at his father who puts on a mask and whispers.

“She knew too much.” Will grabs a mask from his father and covers Elizabeth's head.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 2 comments.


on Feb. 14 2022 at 8:39 pm
Writtingisamazing BRONZE, Allentown, Pennsylvania
2 articles 0 photos 24 comments

Favorite Quote:
Act as if what you do makes a difference because it does!

This is amazing you should writ more

on Apr. 1 2021 at 3:44 pm
jordan598 BRONZE, Jasper, Georgia
2 articles 1 photo 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
“I saw that you were perfect, and so I loved you. Then I saw that you were not perfect and I loved you even more.” —Angelita Lim
“You’re the closest to heaven, that I’ll ever be.” —Goo Goo Dolls

I love this book it's amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!