The Cheesy Love Story With a Hint Of War | Teen Ink

The Cheesy Love Story With a Hint Of War

Personally, the love story begins this is one that I have heard many times. My parents were born in Israel and both served in the army. Love before a war or deployment is something that I have seen. 

"Ding Ding Ding" The school bell rang. Everybody rushed out of their classrooms, pushing and shoving each other so they could get off campus first, even though no matter how fast you ran to your car, you would still be sitting in traffic wondering how late you would be to your other life troubles. Shani found her friends walking toward their cars and took a moment to stop and talk. They were trying to figure out if they wanted to go to prom. One of the girls mentions how after the dance, the students of New View high school usually go to the ice cream shop just down the road from the school to finish off their prom. Out of the blue, Shani asked what time it was; she realized she was running late to pick up her siblings from school; she took them to their after-school programs. Shani parted from her friends and made her way to the parking lot. As Shani sped up, walking over to her car, she saw this football player trying to break in. Shani quickly told one of the guards at the school. 

"Hey! What are you doing, young man?" yelled the guard from a few parking spots away.​​ The boy looked confused, whereas I looked scared. The boy explained that this was his car, but his keys were not working. He was so mad that he began to get red in the face and looked as if he was going to explode. The guard explained that Shani was under the impression that that was her car, and Ben was under the impression that it was his. The guard took Shani's key and tried to unlock the car, and that's when they all heard a little click of the door unlocking. This was Shani's car, and that boy had it all wrong. 

Fast forward 30 minutes later, I'm always driving down the street, making my way towards her younger brother's school. She looked to her right and saw that boy again. Shani tried to look at him without making it obvious, and when she was, she saw that he had a star necklace dangling from his mirror. That's when she realized he was Jewish, just like her. S she quickly jumped back into Focus when her mother called. 

"Shani, what's taking you so long? Your younger brother called me and said you weren't there yet, and it's not that difficult for you to attend school and pick up your siblings. That's what I used to do." 

"I'm sorry, Mom, there was a misunderstanding at school, this kid was trying to get into my car because he thought it was his, so I had to call one of the guards over to help me explain to him that it was mine and it just took longer than I thought, but I am on my way now I will be there in 3 minutes."

"Don't make up excuses."

"I'm not, Mom, I promise, it was just a misunderstanding, but I got it sorted out." 

"We will talk more at home, but I have to go to a client who just walked in."

"Bye, mom."

After that phone call ended, she realized that her siblings would be late for their after-school activities because of her little break-in fiasco and the traffic from her school. Shani arrives at her brother's school, and the look on his face is horrible. Shani knew she was late and knew he would now be late for his soccer practice.

Shani was born into an immigrant family from Israel. She has five siblings – Ari is 15, Tamar is 11, almost 12, Maya is 8, Roni is 6, and Guy is 2. After she picked up all of her siblings, took them all to their after-school programs, and went grocery shopping, Shani walked into the house expecting it to be quiet but instead, she heard the yelling of her mother and her father. 

"I have no choice; I have to go." Shani's father said calmly. 

Shani was extremely confused. Where is he going, when is he going, why is he going? Shani knew that she couldn't ask her mother, especially at that moment after a fight. Shani walked upstairs and quickly began to do her homework. She had so much that she skipped dinner and worked until 2 am. At 1:30 am, Shani's friend called her and told her that her father was getting drafted because a big war had broken out in Israel. This caused Shani to start thinking about the conversation between her mother and father. 

Shani told her friend, "If my father got drafted, then I would have to step up and help my mother with the kids and work. I would put my college on hold and focus on my family. I will have to help take the kids to school, pay the bills, and get the groceries. I would also have to help keep my father's business afloat and any other duties my mother would need help with." 

Shani explained that she would be all alone to take care of half of the family duties, maybe more. Shani walked down to get some water and saw her father packing and getting his things in order. Her father was leaving in 2 days to fight a war in Israel. Shani asked him why he had to go. Why is he willing to leave them to go and fight in a war? What if you don't come back? He gave her the most straightforward answer.

"I will always fight for you guys, but who will fight for the country we all love if not for me."

Shani hated this answer. She wanted the absolute truth – but there was nothing Shani could say. So, Shani said goodnight, walked up the stairs, and cried herself to sleep. Shani realized that her father might not return from the war, and she would lose someone so important to her because he went ahead and fought for the country he loved and where he was born. He was Goingoss to protect his homeland and the holy land.

"Ding Ding Ding" The school bell rang. Everybody rushed out of their classrooms, pushing and shoving each other just so they could get off campus first, even though no matter how fast you ran to your car, you would still be sitting in traffic wondering how late you were going to be to your other life troubles. Ben made his way to the locker room to pick up his football gear, and when he was there, he met up with his friends. 

They all began throwing out different plays and talked about what they thought would be best to do in the game. Then one of his friends mentioned that after prom, all the New View high school students usually go to the ice cream shop just down the road to school. That's when Ben parted from his friends and had to go home because he promised his father he would help him at the office. Ben tried to get into his car, but the door would not open. The key was not working, and just then, a guard called out for him. 

"Hey! What are you doing, young man?" yelled the guard from a few parking spots away.​​ 

Ben was so confused, and when he looked up, he saw a beautiful girl with gorgeous brown hair standing next to him. Ben explained that this was his car, but his keys were not working. He was so mad that he began to get red in the face and looked as if he was going to explode. The guard explained that Shani was under the impression that that was her car, and the boy was under the impression it was his, so he took Shani's key and tried to unlock the car, and that's when they all heard a little click of the door opening. This was Shania's car, and Ben apologized three times and began looking for his car. 

Fast forward 30 minutes, he drove down the street from the school, going to his father's office to help him with his construction company. His father's plan is to one day pass the business down to Ben, but Ben's dream is to become a doctor, not a construction manager. While waiting at the light, he felt he was being watched. He realized that the beautiful girl from before was looking at him. He was about to laugh when the light turned green, and he quickly zoomed off because he was already very late. 

When Ben arrived at the office, he heard his father on the phone talking in Hebrew. Ben tried to be as quiet as possible so he could listen in, but that's when his father caught him and signaled him to leave. All Ben could pick up from the call was that a war had started, and his father had been called back to duty. He found out his father was leaving the morning of his last game. The previous high school football game he will ever have. 

Just then, his father walked out of his office and instructed Ben on what needed to be done. Ben was left to work on three different projects, yet all he could think about was that his father would fight a war. Ben realized that he was almost 18 and would legally be allowed to draft in, especially since there was a war. After they left the office, Ben's younger sister called him crying. 

"Ben's mom just spoke with me and told me that dad is leaving. He is going to Israel to help fight in the war. Did you know about this?"

"Yes, Ariel, I knew about this, he is missing my last game, and I can't bear to watch him leave. I can't bear to watch him leave alone."

"What do you mean you can't watch him leave alone? What are you up to?"

"Ariel, my greatest fear used to be that my visa would expire, which it almost is, and that I will get deported or get drafted early for the army due to war. But now that there is a war and dad is going, I am considering joining the fight. I plan on packing my things and going to fight to protect my country in a heartbeat with dad. 

When Ben got home, his mother and father were waiting for him. They asked him about his conversation with his sister, and he told them the truth. Ben said to them that he would be drafted into the Israeli army. He will be fighting alongside his father and fighting for a safer tomorrow. That is when the three of them got into an argument, and Ben stormed off and went for a drive to clear his head. 

The next day at school, his government teacher decided it would be a good idea to switch seats, he hadn't noticed it before, but there again was that beautiful girl from his car troubles. They were then paired together as desk partners. The teacher explained that these seats would also tell us who our partner for our final project was. 

Shani and Ben were paired together. Both strongly advocated for Israel, so figuring out the topic for the project was easy. They spent the next five days working together on the project, most days at the library, one day at the park, and even one day at Ben's house. Their topic was Israel's history and what was happening in the middle east due to the conflict. Shani's father needed to borrow her car, so Ben offered to take her home on their way to her house; they stopped for ice cream and became the best of friends. Ben began to realize he had feelings for her and asked if she was going to the last football game. Shani said she was, but just because it was their last one in all the four years she was in high school, she had never been to one. That was when Ben's draw dropped. Ben then parked in the shopping mall parking lot and spent the next hour explaining to Shani how football works. They then continued the drive to Shani's house, and as they listened to Israeli music, Ben asked Shani if, after the game, she wanted to get something to eat. 

Shani had no idea what to say because she had never been asked out before. She was baffled; she had no idea if he was asking her as a friend or more. Without even thinking, Shani said, "Ya sure, buddy."

Ben's face went blank, and the car ride after that was dull. It was quiet except for the music. When they got to Shani's house, she quickly said thank you and left. She saw her father loading everything into the car when she went home. She began to cry and looked back to see if Ben was there, and he was. She ran to him, apologizing before, and said she would love to go to dinner after the game with him. 

Fast forward to the last game. Ben and his teammates were getting ready in their locker room when they were teasing him about all the time he was spending with Shani. They asked him what he would do before he shipped off, and his answer was... 

The game had started, and they were winning by 6 points. It was halftime, and the cheerleaders had just performed. One of the boys on Ben's team said that if he had something to say to Shani, now would be the time. That is when Ben realized he had to tell her. HE patted one of the players on the shoulder and blurted out…

"I need to go tell the girl I like that I like her and see where that goes just before the end of the game."

"Shani, before I go, will you be my girlfriend?"

"Yes, of course I will be!"