The Pursuit of Happiness: An Epiphany Novel | Teen Ink

The Pursuit of Happiness: An Epiphany Novel

By MoradoGurl213 SILVER, Evanston, Illinois
MoradoGurl213 SILVER, Evanston, Illinois

"The Moon will illuminate my room and soon I'm consumed by my doom."- Kid Cudi.

I can still clearly recall that bitter, cold winter night when my whole world came crashing down into pieces, even my heart. My world completely shifted three hundred and sixty degrees that moment I heard the heart-shattering news. In that very same moment, my heartbeat abruptly juddered, and my palms became slippery with sweat. My conscious went into an unavoidable whirlwind. It’s funny how a person can go from walking around with full hands, to completely losing everything in a split second. In my case, I had gone from invincible to despicable—all in twenty-four hours.

It was Wednesday evening at Milton Community College, and I walking down the deserted hallways trying to leave the campus. Every class room was empty, and there was no sign of life in the main corridor. Clutching my books in my arm, I silently continued towards the main exit, exhausted and worn out from my long day of lectures and group studies. The halls were so quiet that only the sound of my Nikey black and gold high-tops squeaking against the hallway’s cleanly mopped floors were heard.

Being inside the empty building brought a rush of loneliness and anxiety within me. I yearned for company, for I always dreaded being alone. This was one of the times that made me shiver with abandonment. I clutched my books even tighter, let out a dreary sigh, and continued to march towards the closest exit. Half way to the door, I suddenly stopped because I thought I heard a soft whisper in the distance behind me.
“Hey…hey…” The voice stated once more. Without budging, I looked left and right using my peripheral vision, but saw nothing. “Elle…Elle…” The voice got a little bit louder and stern this time. I jerked all around, looking into every crack, every corner, to locate the voice. “Elle, baby, over here…come over here.” A rush of unidentifiable feelings came over me, and I suddenly felt I was experiencing de-ja-vu.

Following the voice, I turned the corner and stumbled across a vacant closet full of mops, brooms, and empty buckets. The closet was completely pitch-black-dark. “Hello? Who is this?” My voice was a mixture of uncertainty and fear. “Elle, I’m right here. It’s me.” My eyes almost bulged out of its sockets, and my lungs went into overdrive. I almost went into hyperventilation right there in the doorway. Those familiar, inviting almond-brown eyes were staring at me as I adjusted my vision. Those recognizable features—shaggy light brown hair, chiseled cheekbones, and firm expression were present; along with my repressed feelings.

“Elle…it’s me, baby. Come closer, I wanna hold you…” The voice whispered once more, so soft I almost thought I was imagining it. A lump formed in my throat, making it hard for me to swallow or speak. Instead, I just scrambled around to find the switch for the light—I wanted to be sure that I wasn’t hallucinating, that he was really standing in front of me. When I finally found it and turned it on, my heart raced even faster. Leaning against the wall and grasping his arm as if he was hurt, was the person I thought had completely vanished from my world. He just stood there, leaning all his weight against the wall, giving me the same look he’d always give me when we were inseparable—serious with a hint of passion. His eyes were blood shot and glazed over, the same as they were the last time I’d seen him; the night I had left him for dead in his room. Literally.

“I miss you baby. I’ve been all screwed up without you.” His voice was alluring and sad. I stayed glued to the spot in the doorway, completely dumb-founded and shock. Clutching my chest with my hand, a warm tear escaped and slid down my cheek. For so long I’ve spent time trying to erase the memories and feelings that were associated with him. When he left that tragic night, a huge chunk of me was lost as well. I loved him with all my heart, even through the verbal fights, drug abuse, and passionate nights. Now all the unwanted feelings of infatuation and despise came rushing me in an instant.

“I…wh..what are you doing in here?” I tugged the collar of my burgundy v-neck because it seemed like the room just got unbearably hot. He arose from against the wall and started heading towards me now. He reached out and touched the smooth flesh of my cheek. I hesitated because I knew deep inside that if I gave into his presence, it would be like living our whole twisted relationship all over again. As soon as I felt his touch, goose bumps flooded my body like an avalanche.
“I miss you, Elle. Be with me?” No, no, no! My head was spinning like wildfire. By now his face was two inches away from mine, his breath still smelling of grape-flavored swishers and coca-cola; the same as I remembered. I tried to resist him, but it was of no use. Every time his fingers contacted my skin, I could feel myself growing weaker and weaker. “No”, was all I could mumble.

He grabbed the side of my shirt and gently pulled me into his embrace. His lips were now an inch away from mine. “I love you, Elle.” He then pressed his lips onto mine, his lips still dry and soft as I could recall from my memory. Instead of fighting him off, I just melted into his strong arms. He held onto my body as if he didn’t have any intentions of letting me go a second time, and I fell for it.
“I love you.”
“I…don’t…love you…anymore.”
“Liar. I know you Elle. I’ll never let you go, remember that.” My emotions were all in a bunch, and I had no control over them anymore. Tears streamed down my face as I stood there in his arms, passionately kissing him with all my might. I wanted to break lose from him, to walk away; to be rid of him for good. However, it backfired on me for I was giving into his temptation.

I wrapped my arms around his neck and pressed my body onto his. Knocking over buckets and brooms, we fumbled around the tight-spaced closet, caressing and kissing each other like it was the end of the world. We didn’t care that we were caught in a janitor’s closet—we never cared where we were, as long as we were together. Catching his breath, he looked me in my eyes, and I swear time came to a stop. “Be with me”, he whispered against my lips. I looked up at him, searching for any signs of deception, but didn’t find any. Swallowing hard, I tried to search for words to say. “I…I..can’t…”

Beep! Beep! Beep! My hello kitty alarm went off, stating it was 7:30 a.m. in bold. I jolted and sat up in bed, grasping for air. I glanced around the room trying to gain recollection of where I was. Cool summer breeze lightly blew through the window close to the bed causing the violet purple curtains to sway back and forth. I rested my head against the head board and massaged my temples with my fingers. Loose sweaty strands of hair were sticking to the back of my neck and beads of sweat had collected on my forehead. I let out a sigh. Realizing I had dozed off to sleep in my bed, I buried my head under my satin pillow. Outside my window, birds chirped happily in unison and the trees danced in the breeze. The dream I just experienced suddenly flashed through my mind. However, it didn’t feel like a dream at all. It was so clear; so real.

I sat up in bed once again. Why was it that every time I tried hard to forget about that night; forget about him, it always backfired on me? I thought that the days of dread, depression, and darkness were over. I assumed that with the help of staying occupied with an endless list of things to do, I’d remain busy; keep myself sane. But no matter where I went, what I did, or what I told myself, I could never seem to escape the reality of that night; the reality of him. I shook my head in confusion trying to let the boundless thoughts escape my conscious.

Throwing my thick covers off my body, I rolled out of bed and scurried around to quickly get dressed. After settling on a plain yellow crop-top that showed off a little hint of my flat tummy, faded light-washed baggy levi jeans and my worn-out white converse, I headed into the bathroom to fix my hair. I didn’t feel too fashionable this morning so I just quickly threw my curly hair into a loose bun, strands already escaping and falling onto my face.
I headed down the stairs leading into the kitchen to find my mother leaning against the counter reading the daily newspaper and sipping her daily dose of coffee. “Good morning”, I blurted. She turned around facing me with her mug in hand. “Oh, good morning, sweety. Did you sleep well?” I shrugged and rummaged through the fridge. “I didn’t really get too much rest; I went to bed pretty late last night.” Mom took another sip from her mug. “Yeah I noticed. You’re usually down here eating off my plate by 6:45.” I grunted and grabbed a half-full carton of orange juice sitting on the top shelf.
“Yeah, well…I guess I’m just really tired lately.” My mother looked at me and cocked an eyebrow, her sun-kissed light brown hair glistening within the light shining through the kitchen window. She set her mug down on the counter.
“Is this because of Charlie?” She beckoned. Mi insides froze. I stared at an invisible speck on the corner of my shoe.
“…No?”
“God, I’m so sick of this now. I hate to witness my daughter walking around like a damn zombie!”
“What are you talking about mother?!”
“I’m talking about CHARLIE. Charlie is DEAD, Eliana. He’s been gone for two years now. It’s time for you to move on and get your life back on track.”

My nerves swelled up and bounced around like air molecules. I clenched my fist and blankly stared in the fridge. “You…don’t…know…anything.” With that being said, I slammed the fridge’s door, my frustration and force causing the cereal boxes on top to topple down. I grabbed my coat hanging nearby on the wall and bolted out the door. “Eliana!”, my mother called after me, but it was too late. I was already out the door and down the street, eager to start my already pathetic day.

I stormed down the street in a furious hurry, still heated from what happened in the kitchen. I clenched my fists while I past street after street. It seemed like I could never do anything right anymore. No, forget I even said that; it seemed like nothing ever turned out right for me anymore. When I had gained a tiny sense of happiness, someone always went, “Oh! Eliana’s happy, we better get her!”

About half way down the street from Milton Community College, I stopped in my tracks. I didn’t know why, but I felt like I was missing something; I felt naked. Soon enough I realized that I had left my backpack and my books back at the house. “Shit”, I grumbled to myself. Like I said before, nothing ever went right for me anymore.

On my way to my first lecture, I managed to trip over my own foot, drop my jacket on the floor, and accidentally run into a random person who wasn’t paying attention to where she was walking. All I ever did was grunt and keep trudging toward my class like a trainwreck. After entering the classroom and taking a seat at a desk close to the window, I rolled my eyes and grunted. I didn’t have any intentions of paying attention, so I just ended up staring out the window when the lecture started.

“Alright class, hurry up and be seated. We have to continue with our lecture from yesterday”, my professor, Mr. Wald explains. Other than me, the whole class grunted in unison. While he continued his rant on the views of Aristotle and Sophocles, my mind drifted back to the altercation I had this morning with my mother. Looking back on it, I have no idea how she could sense how I was feeling about the whole death situation. If she could clearly see how I was carrying myself, could others too?

At the same time, I find it impossible to erase my emotions, memories, and sustained feelings. No matter how hard I tried to ban Charlie from my conscious, he would always still be here. Every time I felt I had moved past the whole concept of Charlie even existing, the nightmares would start up again on a random night. I would jerk and sit up in bed in a sweaty frenzy, clasping my chest and breathing frantically. And once again, my feelings for him came rushing back in an instant, yearning for his touch, his embrace.

I was so spaced out thinking about Charlie that I didn’t even hear Mr. Wald call my name. “Mrs. Josling…Mrs. Josling…ELIANA!” His voice shook and rattled my bones. “What?” I shot back at him, startled. He adjusted his thick-rimmed glasses on his round, pudgy face and loudly grumbled. “I highly suggest that you come down from la-la-land and pay attention to this review, or the exam tomorrow is going to devour you.” Every person in the room shifted around in their seats and glared at me. “I’m sorry Mr. Wald”, I mumbled, rolling my eyes in the process. Giggles circulated; however, I wasn’t buying what was so hilarious.

As soon as class was over, I fled through the door like a hurricane before anyone had the chance to leave. I didn’t like being put on the spot, and I didn’t like confrontation. Since it was a Monday, I only had one lecture today. It was convenient for me because I wanted to get away for a few hours and be alone; take a breather from my circumstances. The minute I bust through those double-doors leading into the parking lot, I felt the atmosphere around me grow tolerable.
Starting down the boulevard, I made my way to my all time favorite spot—a quiet, deserted field of grass located by a simple, miniscule park called Jackson Park just a few blocks away from Milton Community College. Its serenity and lack of population had drawn me to it in the past because it was the only place I could fully unwind. Just as expected, there weren’t traces of children or family on the playground or the field. Smiling, I plopped myself down on the cool grass.

Soaking in the sun’s warmth, I closed my eyes and rested my arms behind my head. The late summer breeze gently blew, and my shirt swayed, tickling my tummy. I sucked in a breath, and then an exaggerated exhale. The more I lie there on that field, the more relaxed and at peace I became. If only life was this peaceful. Sadly…it wasn’t. The humid summer warmth, crisp breeze, and comforting grass put me in a trance, making me drift into a silent slumber. Soon enough, I dozed off right there under the alluring vibrant sun…

After what it seemed like forever of lying on the grass, I suddenly felt a hand lightly trace a path around my lips. At first I thought it was the breeze brushing against my cheeks, but the more I moved my head, the more the movement became gradual. I felt a presence hovering over me, but I was drifting in and out of sleep to be fully aware. Another minute passed, and I felt two soft lips brush across my forehead. I slowly pried my eyes open.

When I opened my eyes and adjusted my vision, I looked up to find two blood-shot and glazed over hazel eyes staring down at me. I blinked a few times and stared back into the face which was now showing that million dollar smile I was well familiar with. I remained silent as I dumbly watched as the face got closer and closer to mine, and then lightly kiss me on the nose. Was I dreaming this, or hallucinating? The person that keeps re-appearing in my most vulnerable moments was hovering over me, watching me watch him. No, this had got to be a dream.

Remaining still, I continued to watch him. He brushed a lose strand of my hair away from my face and tuck it behind my ear. I didn’t know what to say, or how to react, for I didn’t know what was real and what wasn’t anymore. All I knew was that I didn’t want to make any sudden movement because I was afraid that if I did, he’d vanish into the calm, warm air. I wanted to touch him, feel his rough mustache. I reached out and cupped his face with my palms. He lowered his head and planted a sweet kiss on my forehead in return. After, he just looked me into my eyes and smiled, caressing me as well…

Grasping for air, I suddenly sat up. My heart was racing, and my crop top shirt clinged to my body with sweat. I glanced around me, trying to figure out what had just happened. Birds happily chirped in the oak trees around me, and the field was still deserted. Sitting there by myself, I tried to calm down and catch my breath. I lowered my head. I came to a realization that I just experienced another realistic dream of Charlie. It seemed I had dozed off for more than three hours because when I arrived earlier, it was 12:30 in the afternoon. The time was now 3:35. Dusting my pants off, I sighed.

When will this cycle come to an end? No matter what I did or told myself, I just couldn’t break free from Charlie. When will I stop having these dreams about him? Whenever I thought I had convinced myself that he was long gone and dead, he would prove to me that he was still alive in me mentally and emotionally. I just couldn’t understand why he haunted me. All I ever wanted now was to be able to move on with my life and find new form of happiness, but with these dreams continuously accruing, I didn’t think that’ll ever be deemed possible.
Time passed, and the breeze grew a little tense, blowing more strands of my hair from my loose bun. Massaging my temples, I remained on the grass trying to gain a stable train of thought. I attempted to re-adjust my bun when I abruptly stopped. The air started smelling of strong weed, and I began hearing loud singing in the distance coming from the playground. Squinting my eyes in the direction of the singing, I got up. I turned and headed towards the playground trying to locate the source of the singing.
After searching most of the playground, I approached the monkey bars where the singing grew louder. When I got there, I glanced up to find a guy lying on top of the monkey bar set. I furrowed my eyebrows and rested my hands on my hips patiently waiting for the unknown person to notice I was watching him sing. His legs dangled over the end, freely swinging back and forth. The stranger was comfortably lying on top of the bars, contently humming to himself with a blunt dangling from his mouth, clouds of smoke swirling into the summer air.
Confused and amused, I remained standing there, staring at him while the unknown guy deliriously sang and caroled out loud. Taking puffs from his blunt, he snapped his fingers and rocked from side to side. He wore a navy blue hooded sweater zipped all the way up with his hood over his head hiding locks of his black curly hair, although it was clearly eighty-nine degrees out. His cream cardigan shorts sagged below his waist line showing some of his boxers. He wore white knee-high tube socks. Black and white Nikey hightops dangled from his feet, his shoe laces untied. The hot sun rays glistened down on him, but his vision was shielded by black ray band sunglasses. I was highly intrigued by this person but I put on a front like he was causing a bit of annoyance.
Patiently tapping my foot, I shifted my weight and cocked an eyebrow. The guy continued to sing and after a while I could feel my ears bleeding. I loudly cleared my throat hoping he’d notice me standing there; and he did. As soon as he heard me, he stopped singing, sat up, and peered down at me. Unmoved and unusually calm, he just stared at me as if I had just invaded his private turf.
“Well hello there”, he stated, “How long have you been watching me?” I shrugged. “Long enough.” His eyebrows rose. “Yeah? I can see that now.” I didn’t move a muscle. He took off his sunglasses, tossed the rest of his blunt ashes, and stretched. “Wow, I musta’ gotten carried away with time.” I remained silent. The mysterious guy yawned, raising his arms in the air. He adjusted his body sideways on the monkey bars, fell backwards, and landed a perfect back flip to the ground.
He walked over to me and ran his fingers through his wild curly hair. When he did, the bright sun above us shone down on his face, and I noticed that he had one green eye and one blue eye. A cute, tiny black birthmark rested right above his right eyebrow. He had a perfectly shaped nose and peculiar lips that poked out a little, but were still inviting. I had no choice but to secretly stare at him in awe.
“…Sooo…what brings you to Jackson Park? I assumed this area was reserved for only me, but I guess I have company now.” A smirk slid across his model-face. I stuffed my hands in my pockets, unsure of what to do with them. “No, I believe you’ve got it all twisted, you’re on my grounds. So I guess I have company.” The guy chuckled. “Well in that case, I could use some company from a girl like you.” I cocked my head.
“Dude, you don’t even know me. You don’t know what kind of girl I am.” I loosened my long curly hair out of my bun and it gracefully toppled past my shoulders, stopping just shy of my mid-back. Slightly tilting my head back, I ran my fingers through my hair, purposely putting on a show. The guy didn’t take his eyes off me as I did, that sly smirk still plastered on his face.
He stepped towards me and stopped five inches away from me. He toward over me, standing at six-foot-one. He looked me into my eyes, and I swear I could feel butterflies forming inside me. “Well then, I’d love to find that out.” I shook my head and smiled. The guy really thought he had it all in the bag. I’ve seen guys like him before—how they thought, how they operated. Right off the bat I knew he was one of those guys who reeled girls in like fish without breaking a sweat. They tactfully said things to them that they knew would make them easily fall in love. Unfortunately for him, I wasn’t gonna be another statistic.
I took a step closer to him, slowly filling the space between us. “I can’t accompany someone whose name I don’t know, now can I?” The guy chuckled some more. He stepped back and bowed like a butler. “Andrew, at your service.” I shook my head, smiling. Who did he think he was? Andrew walked towards me, and stopped a few inches from my face. “Uh oh, did I just make you smile? Looks like my job is done. And your name is…” He stared at me, waiting for my answer.
“Eliana. But everyone calls me Elle.”
“That’s a cool ass name you got.”
“Thanks.”
“So it’s set then. The next time you come here, just look for me and we’ll give eachother company.”
“Wait a minute; I never said I’d be your company.” I raised my eyebrows and flashed him an innocent smile. His jaw slightly dropped. “But—” I cut him off by closing the gap between us, reaching over, and taking his sunglasses out of his hand. I slid them on right in front of him.
“It was nice to meet you, Andrew. I’ll see you around.”
“hey—”

I shot him another innocent smile, turned around, walked off the playground, heading down the field. Andrew stayed glued where he was in total shock, his mouth still half way open. As I walked off, I adjusted his shades and didn’t stop smiling; satisfaction plastered all over my face. “Fool”, I mumbled under my breath. And then I was gone.

This book has 1 comment.

i-love-cupcakes, New York, New York
there's a movie called the pursuit of happiness i dont watch it but i know there is one and great book