Do Opposites Attract Or Is It Just Me? | Teen Ink

Do Opposites Attract Or Is It Just Me?

By XblackbeautyX, Woodbridge, Virginia
XblackbeautyX, Woodbridge, Virginia

"You can't be an Effie, Till you've been an Effie"

The alarm rang as I ran out the store. Speeding like a bullet I ran through the thick crowds of New York City. Pushing and squeezing through the unfamiliar faces and the tight space between one another, I try to keep myself hidden. Head down, black hair flying everywhere I try my best to blend in. There is no explanation for what I’ve done. But the consequences show no mercy. I round the corner moving swiftly along the gum covered side walk, past the expensive shops selling overpriced items. I can see them now, the closer I walk the clearer there faces become.
“Did you get it?” Ivy asks.
“Yeah, I got it.” I said as a smile spread across my face.

I bet your wondering what’s going. What are they up to? Well it’s the only thing I regret doing. The one thing that started this whole giant mess that’s my life, it started two days ago. Two days I wish could take back.
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Trouble- To cause or wreak havoc upon… that’s what they call me, Trouble. Well that’s not my name, but I am Trouble. I’ve always been since the day I was born.
My name’s Chris as in Chris Colfer or Chris Rock, like Chris Brown (Without all the violence) and Chris Johnson. And it’s just Chris. It’s only because I can’t stand that god awful name Christine. What were my parent’s thinking? Well I should say parent, my Dad raised me. He taught me, grown up with me, punished me and it’s only been us. I have no clue what happened to my mother or if I even have one, but push the sob story to the side it not about my mother. I resent the even thought of her and I won’t let myself feel anything for her.
“Chris!” Ivy yells
“What” I say shaking my head from my thoughts.
We were in the back alleyway of my Dad’s shop. The tall, thick walls made it almost impossible for anyone to see us. This was one of my most favorite places to be. No one to see what we were up to. It was blocked by two walls on the end, so really it was an outdoor room. The stars were mesmerizing to look at during the night. They spoke to us, telling us their stories and their secrets.

“So do you want one or not?”
I turned towards Ivy with a questioning look on my face.
“God Chris you need to start paying attention. Do you want a cigarette?” She had three in her hand and pushed them closer towards me.
“Sure why not “I grabbed one and looked to my right at Leo.
Leo was a quiet guy. It wasn’t much that he was shy but more a dark genius. He usually hung out with me and Ivy. He had chocolate brown hair going down to his neck and a circle lip ring on the bottom corner of his mouth.
“Here” He said passing me the lighter.
I took the lighter from him stifling a ‘thanks’ and opened the case. As soon as I took my first breath I sigh in relief. I watch the smoke from my cigarette billow into the open air. I know what you’re thinking,, this a sixteen year old girl smoking, what is she doing?! And yes I do it all the time. I see the looks I get on the street of the judge mental people as I walk past, but we only have one life and I don’t want to spend it being the good-two shoes. I want to live my life and this is how I plan to do it, by smoking and living on the edge of danger.

“So I’ve been thinking and I think we should set something up to earn a little more money” Ivy pronounced proudly while blowing out a puff of smoke.

“What something are you taking about” I asked playing dumb. I obviously knew what she was talking about.
“Come on Chris! You know what I mean. Let’s go steal something down at that fancy place on 24th street”
“Well who’s going to be watch out?” I said looking back and forth between Leo and Ivy.
“Obviously Leo, no offense” She said apologetically
Leo gave her a look of pure disgust, but brushed of her comment.
“And you’d be the one actually in the store Ivy?”
“Well I was kind of hoping you’d do it Chris. I mean I know it’s not fair , but you remember last time” she said pouting.
I could pull that memory back like it was last week. Ivy decided to steal a shirt from an overpriced boutique. She succeeded with not being seen but failed when she forgot to take the tag off. They stopped her at the door and she was handcuffed and taken away. Luckily she somehow got off on the charges, but it still remains on her permanent record.
“Fine, I’ll do it on what condition if you-“
The back door to the shop abruptly swung open. The door startled me so much I breathed in the smoke in my cigarette. I started choking and gasping for breath. The cigarette dropped out of my mouth as I battled to catch a breath of air. I put my hands on my knees bending down to steady myself. When the air finally settled in my lungs, going in and out, I slowly stood up. There standing in the door way was the last person I wanted to see, my father.
“What the hell, Chris!” He yelled while his face started to redden
“Dad!” My voice came out a meer, hoarse whisper.
“You two get lost!” He said pointing to both Ivy and Leo.
They both scurried around my dad and out the door, no words said, leaving me to face my dad.

“What the hell do you think you’re doing?” He said bending down to pick up the cigarette that had just fallen out of my mouth.
“I uhhhh…. I was just hanging out with my friends. You know the ones you just so rudely shooed away.”
“Cut the crap Chris. Were you smoking or not” He said. A scowl turned on his face and I could tell he was dead serious.
“Aw come on Dad you really think I would have the nerve to smoke behind your store?” I said putting on charm I know I didn’t have.
“Yes I do. You’ve done it before and I don’t take your word for it.” He said. He grabbed my arm with an impossible grip and pulled me into his fishing store.
“Hey! Ow, you’re hurting me. Watch it” I thrashed under his hold.
“You’re in big trouble missy, and you know who you have to thank for that, my good friend Billy here.”
Of course Billy told, Billy the stupid jerk who works for my father. He’s some knock off bad boy who my father let be the manager of his store. His life goal is to ruin mine. I don’t even know why he got the job, he’s as lazy as me, and if my Dad knew what he really acted like he’d be fired so fast he wouldn’t even be able to put on his act again to explain.
I turned around and glared at Billy with disdain. He was behind the cash register with a exasperate smile on his face. His black disheveled hair covered most of his vibrant green eyes. At that very moment I vowed to give him his comeuppance one day.

We walked out the store or should I say I was dragged out by my father. We both got in the car heading to where I guess was home. All throughout the whole time he kept tisking me about smoking, and having the wrong friends and being trouble. All the while I ignored every word he said, watching the people descend the streets, a two guys moving in fighting over what looks like a couch, two love birds eating each other’s faces. I silently gagged; they could at least get a room.
My attention was caught when I heard him say, Christine you’re grounded.
“What! Hey that’s not fair, I didn’t even do anything”
“You didn’t do anything?” He said with a smile in on his face as if he was about to laugh. A few chuckles escaped.
“Nothing is funny. You’re unfairly punishing me”
“You didn’t do anything. I caught you smoking in the back of my store with your friends! And you didn’t do anything. That’s a good one Christine.” He laughed.
“Uhhhh! Fine don’t believe me whatever” I turned my back to him as far as I could with my seatbelt on.

The second he parked the car in front of our apartment I stormed out not even bothering to close the car door. Traveling all the way to the 19th floor I slammed the front door so loud my dad probably could have heard it. When I entered my room I would have slammed that door too if I had one. Apparently it’s a privilege to have one and I lost that privilege so bye-bye door. I still haven’t figured out where he put it. Where can you put a huge door like that?

I rushed for the phone before he came into the apartment, sprinting for the bathroom. I closed the door, taking a seat on the toilet and dialing Ivy’s number. She picked up the phone on the first ring.
“How bad did you get it” She said immediately
“I’m grounded, but I’m not going to let that stop us. Anyway what I was saying before I’ll only do it if I know you won’t run out on me again.”I spoke in a hushed voice.
A memory flashed before my eyes, one I that made my blood boil, one that I wanted to forget it so badly. It was 3 years ago on July 2nd. We were thirteen and in desperate need of money. So we decided to pick pocket peoples wallets. With all the crowds and the distance between one another no one would notice, or at least we though. During the very beginning when we started some lady caught me going through an old women’s wallet, I sped off knowing she wouldn’t be able to catch up, but also wondering where Ivy went. Before I knew it the police caught up and I was taken away.
The next time I was able to talk to Ivy she was so upset. She said the second the lady spotted me she ran off, leaving me to defend for myself. No words could describe how much betrayal I felt. We didn’t talk for weeks which felt like years above all she apologized again and we started talking. But really it all boils down to this she lost my trust that day, trust I had that I never had in anyone else and now I never know if one day she’ll just decide to jet off again and leave me.
“Chris!” Ivy yelled.
“Woa- What!” I shake my head trying to forget the memory.
“Chris that was 3 years ago you need to get over it”
“You left me Ivy! LEFT ME WHEN I NEEDED YOU THE MOST! SO IF YOU ASK ME TO GET OVER IT I WON’T! “
I continued to talk before she could say anything.
“Look I can’t talk long so do you agree or not?”
“Yeah, fine. How about 11 p.m. tonight. You know I wouldn’t do that again Chris”
“Yeah sure whatever I gotta go” And pressed the off button before she could say bye. I turned off the light I exiting the bathroom.
When I came out the bathroom I saw the front door knob jiggle slightly. I looked to my left and right trying to find a place to put the phone. With the time I was panicking I couldn’t find any where to put it. I was too far away from the couch so I did the only thing that made sense in the moment. I stuck the phone in my pants.
He opened the front door. Walking slightly he stared at me like I was crazy.
“What?” I said as if he didn’t notice anything.
“Uhh, Christine what’s in your pants”
“What are you talking about there’s nothing in my pants?” I decided to play dumb.
“Yeah, there is why’re you lying” He said putting his hands on his hips.
“Dad! Uhhh, you don’t get it. It’s a girl thing” I said and stormed off towards my room.
I could have sworn before I left his face turned a dark shade of pink.
I stayed in my room for hours. As darkness descends I grow more anxious. Soon the sky turns pitch black and the moon shines like a pearl. I check the clock. It’s 10:45 pm. I grab my black leather jacket along with my phone. Walking slowly I hold my breath across the wooden floor. It creaks against certain weights, so I tiptoe along while holding my breath.
As I get closer I can see my Dad, dead asleep on the couch. He is snoring so loud I don’t have to hold my breath. If the floor does creak he wouldn’t be able to hear it over his own snoring. Sometimes he snores so loudly he wakes himself up. I laugh whenever this happens.
I look at him sprawled on the couch, then at the TV showing an old re-run of The Office. It turns to a commercial were an old grandmother is honking her car horn at a truck. I wince as the sound gets louder and louder. I shift around to look at my dad. He’s still dead asleep.
Letting out a sigh of relief I hurry towards the door, hoping he won’t suddenly wake up. Once I’m out I walk down the hallway and decide to take the stairs. After the 19 flight of stairs I was out of breath and my legs threatened to come out from under me.
I exited the building, taking out my phone to see if Ivy sent me a message. She did at 9:30pm. It read

Meet me on the corner by your apt.buil

10:30 SHARP!

“Crap!” I muttered. She probably though I wasn’t coming now that it was so late.
I ran at top speed to the corner of the building, stupid Ivy didn’t say which corner to go to so I ended up running towards the right. She waasn’t there so I ran around the back all way. She wasn’t there either so she had to be by the left corner.
As I got closer to the corner I started to whisper “Ivy”
“Huh” I heard the noise of someone being startled.
“Chris is that you?” Ivy said.
“Yeah” I said
‘What the hell your-“She looked down at her watch
“20 minutes late” She yelled
“Well I didn’t get your text until late and it isn’t particularly easy sneaking out with your father in the house.” I snapped back
She stifled a yawn throwing her arms in the air.
“Did you fall asleep here?”
“Yeah I was waiting for you”
“Ok. That’s disgusting. What would you have done if I never showed up?”
“No worries they would have found my dead body the next morning” she said and walked off.
“Come on times a wasting and Leo’s waiting” She said looking back at me.
I followed her quietly.
I a few minutes we were in front of New York and things, the store I was about to steal from.
We walked a few more blocks were we met Leo.
“Don’t worry we’ll be here” Ivy said.
“If anything goes wrong we’ll meet here.”Ivy said again.
I looked around trying to get familiar with the area.
“Yea ok” I stifled out.
“I’m going to be right outside while your inside and Leo here’s gonna stay right here” She said
“Ok, let’s do this!” she said grabbing me by the wrist, yanking me forward.
We were soon in front of the store we just passed.
“Remember I’ll be right out here if you need me. Use the bag” She whispered in my ear and handed me a bag.
I took a step in and instantly I was engulfed in the fake smell of their sample perfume. I didn’t fit in here. They were all blondes. All the customers even the employees. They were playing some bubble-gum pop singer who sounded like Britney Spears. It was hurting my ears. Every note she sang made me want stick knives in my ears. That’s when I decided I wasn’t going to make this aan all day thing.
One of the staff came up to me. “May I help you with somthin’?” She had a southern twang to her voice.
“No, Im good thank you” I said trying to put on a smile.
“Well would you like to sample our complimentary perfume”
“No thank you” I said between my teeth. I don’t think she was getting that she was annoying me.
“May I ask why you’re in here? I mean not to be rude darling but this doesn’t seem like your type of store?”
Trying to keep my anger to a minimum level I told her “Just getting something for a friend”
“Ok sugar, you do that, enjoy now!” she said and walked towards another customer.
Finally I was alone so I could do what needed to be done. Sneaking around by the t-shirts I grabbed one and turned my back to all the others. I tried to make it look like I was observing it while I ripped the tag off and checked for other censors, after I stuffed it in the bag.
I did this with a couple other shirts, always checking to see if anyone was watching. When I was done I quickly turned my back and put on my hood to make sure no one could see me.
As I exited the store I knew something was wrong. I immediately ran out as fast as I could.The alarm rang as I ran out the store. Speeding like a bullet I ran through the thick crowds of New York City. Pushing and squeezing through the unfamiliar faces and the tight space between one another, I try to keep myself hidden. Head down, black hair flying everywhere I try my best to blend in. There is no explanation for what I’ve done. But the consequences show no mercy. I round the corner moving swiftly along the gum covered side walk, past the expensive shops selling overpriced items. I can see them now, the closer I walk the clearer there faces become.
“Did you get it?” Ivy asks.
‘Here” I said pushing the bag in her hands.
“I gotta go” I said then ran towards home.
When I got to the building the lobby area was dead. No one was there (which worried me about our security) I lost all care about being caught and took the elevator. When it dinged and stopped on our floor I rushed out. When I got to my door I took a deep breath not sure if he was awake or not or if he knew I left or not. If he did know I was gone I was probably a dead man.
Letting go of my breath I dug my hand in my pocket to get my key. Slowly I put it in the door and opened it. I heard him snore and I let out a sigh of relief. Tiptoeing slowly I made my way towards my room. Half way there I hear my dad say. “I know you went out Chris”
I jumped shocked by him. He’s sitting up on the couch looking dead straight into my eyes.
“Hey dad! I see your awake now. What were you talking about me being out? Cause I have been here all night. I just went in the kitchen to eat” I knew I was already caught but maybe I could get out if I acted dumb.
“Chris give it up already. I was never asleep. I was pretending cause I knew you’d pulling something like this.”
“Dang-it! So what now, grounded for a year, you gonna put me up for adoption now” I said a smile forming on my face.
“No” he said smiling too ‘But I’ll tell you what I am going to do.”

“Congratulations, We’re moving to California!”

“Congratulations, we’re moving to California!”

My brain didn’t exactly register when he said this. It kicked in to gear thinking of all the possibilities he could mean. Maybe I was being sent to boarding school or even better maybe to some private school for scoundrels. But out of all the ideas that popped into my head I knew that he must have been joking. We couldn’t possibly pick everything up and just move to California. So instead of taking him seriously I decided to play around with him.
“Ha your joking right, dad, that’s funny there’s no way we could be moving, especially not to California”
“Oh I’m serious Christine. I was offered a great opportunity to make my store a chain. And the other location of the store just happens to be in California.”
My laughing stopped. My jaw dropped and I stood there in awe. That was it. We were actually really moving. To California!
“Wait, what?, we can’t move. I have a life here and friends. School just started three months ago. What about the store here? Who’s going to run it now if we’re moving? People don’t even fish in California. You see there too many things were leaving behind we can’t leave. “
“Last I recall your choice of friends got you into this mess and as for school you can easily catch up with the rest of the kids.”
“Still what about the store, who’s going to run it?”
I already knew who he was going to say before it came out of his mouth. Inside my head I prayed and hoped, even saying a little chant.
“please not billy, please not billy, please not billy, please not Billy, please not Billy ,please not Billy, Please not Billy, Please not Billy, Please not Billy, Please not Billy, Please not Billy, Please not Billy, Please Not Billy. Please Not Billy! Please Not Billy!! Please Not Billy!!!” Every time I say this in my head it gets a decibel louder. To the point where I’m squeezing my eyes shut with my hands over my ears, but I can hear his answer as clear as day throughout all the noise in my head.
“Why Billy of course, who els-“
“No!” I screamed “NO!”
I was to the point of getting hysterical and so deep in denial.
“Chris what the hell is the matter with you?” He said getting up from the couch and coming towards me. I could calculate his next move. To come up and take my head in his hands, but I wouldn’t allow it.
“No don’t touch me” I said moving swiftly out of the way.“Come on Dad. I can change. I won’t do these things anymore, but just- we don’t have to move, we don’t have to pick up everything and leave please” I begged a small whisper.
He blew out a sigh of frustration and pulled his hands through his hair.
“Chris just go to bed please. I-I can’t do this right now”
I watched his back as he walked into his bedroom closing the door. I looked back at the TV which was still on The Office.
“Oh shut up Dwight!” I said, turning off the TV. I stormed off towards my room.

The screaming of Black Veil Brides woke me up. I cursed at my iPhone for the rude awaking. Dads early morning grumbling could be heard in the kitchen. I was afraid to step out of my room, afraid to confront him about his decision. The shuffling of his feet made a distinct noise almost like brushing teeth. I stayed in my room for an extra 30 minutes even though I was already an hour late for school. When I heard the familiar curses and the repeated “I’m late” I knew he would be gone in a matter of minutes. When I heard the front door click I waited 5 minutes to make sure the coast was clear.
I walked outside shuffling my feet like my father. I looked around for any signs he left, but settled when I didn’t see anything. I shuffled down the hallway to turn on some music. After I managed to find the Alternative channel, which I reluctantly turned all the way up, I made my way to the kitchen to make some eggs.
Ten minutes later I was finished making the eggs which turned out brown and rubbery. I really didn’t give a care, but when I was in the middle of eating them I noticed the sticky note stuck to the fridge. Slowly I got up and curiously stretched my neck to see what it was. I recognized the handwriting instantly and ripped it off the door. My eyes moved quickly over the letter reading it in lightning speed.

Dear Christine,

I know you were upset yesterday and I have thought long and hard about my decision, but we’re still moving. Sorry, I know you’re throwing a fit right now, but try not to break anything. I called the school and told then you’d be there late. Go to school, tell your friends and please make the best out of your last month. Oh and don’t forget to start packing. I’ll bring home boxes tonight

Love you,

Dad

I wasn’t throwing a fit, no this was far worse that a fit. It was a downright Chris apocolapyse. My world was ending. The mountains were crumbling. The oceans were rising. And I was being taken to hell.
WE WERE MOVING! IN A MONTH!
I take a deep breath and relax. The last thing I need to do is something irrational. I look at the clock and decide to stay home for 1 more hour before going to school.
When I arrived at school I made it just in time for lunch. I went straight to the lunch room without stopping at the office or my locker. Ivy and Leo were already there laughing over god knows what. I made my way to their table and slammed my hands down on it.
Ivy’s smile faltered
“Hey Chris, what’s wrong?”
“We’re moving!”
“What!”
I told them the whole story of everything that happened after I went home.
“But you can’t leave you’re my very best friend Chris. You can’t just leave me here with him”. She said with a scowl on her face pointing to Leo “no offense.”
“None taken. Chris I think you should take this opportunity and make the best from it. Maybe there’ll be great people in California-“
Yeah or some freaky rich jocks that are almost as spoiled as-“
“Chris you do know 90210 isn’t real right”
“Oh shut up, Leo. I don’t think you really understand what this is doing to me. My life is over.”
“There are a lot worse thing in the world and a lot more people are going through way tougher situations. So until you stop being so melodramatic don’t talk to me.” Leo stood up abruptly and stormed away.
“Gee what crawled in his breakfast this morning.” I said.
“More like PMS if you ask me. He’s been like that all morning, hot and cold. One second he’ll be fine but the next he’ll be lecturing me for something I do or something I say” Ivy said.
I kept looking at the door where Leo left though. A small part of me hoped that he would walk back through and everything would be fine, but I knew better than to believe the lies I told myself. The guilt was eating me alive every second I sat there, until I just couldn’t take it. I shot up in an instant and looked back at Ivy.
“I’ll be back”
“Where are you going?”
“I’m gonna look for Leo”
“Great now I’m all alone” Ivy said stirring her macaroni with her peas.
I rushed out the double doors and started looking for Leo. I knew the two places he could be either an unused classroom or the bathroom. Just thinking about being in the boy’s bathroom gave me a chill of disgust so I decided to start looking through each of the classrooms. One by one my hope dissolved into dust. “He must have snuck off campus or something” I thought passing the last door.
My eyes caught something and I recoiled back. But as I began to recognize him I moved forward. Without trying to scare him I cautiously open the door inch by inch.
When I’m inside I he looks up and turns around, so his back is facing me.
I quickly shut the door and start walking over to him while apologizing.
“Look Leo I’m sorry I didn’t mean to-“
And that’s when I notice he’s crying. His hands are on his face and his shoulders are shaking and I feel utterly useless. I don’t comfort people. I’m no good at comforting people. I actually try to stay out of situations like this, but I’m freaking out cause it’s not like me and Leo are best friends. And he’s a guy. I don’t know whether to give him a giant hug or pat him on the shoulder. I don’t want to seem insincere, but I also don’t want to do anything that will make us awkward. So I decide to do whatever my gut decides to do.
I take his hands off his face so he can look at me and hold them tight in mine.
“What’s wrong Leo. I know it can’t possibly be what I said”
He refuses to look at me and doesn’t answer.
“Oh come on! You know you can tell me” I pouted my lips to at least make him laugh.
No laugh, but he looked at me and said, “My mom’s dying”
A whole new wave of tears sprung and he ripped his hands out of mine.
I didn’t know what to think. It was big news because little did I know anything about Leo, but he always acted like everything was fine. Whenever Ivy would snap one of her rude comments at him he would just shrug it off. He never acted like anything was wrong and he probably didn’t want anyone to know either.
“Leo”
He looked at me and I embraced him into a tight hug. I tightened my hold on the back of his neck and brought his head down onto my shoulder. He started crying all over again and I just held him whispering ,I’m so sorry, and that things were going to get better over and over again into his ear.
After that whole drama fest at school I was beyond tired. My emotions were all out of swing and I was ready to take a nap. But somehow I couldn’t stop thinking of those words Leo told me. After he sort of calmed down he told me all about his mom. She has been sick with cancer for about 2 years now and the doctors said she only had days to live. The last words he said to me today was ‘Thanks for being a great friend’, and I knew our relationship had grown
On my way home I had decided to take Leo advice and give California a chance. I also decided to take my own advice in ignoring my dad, from here on out I wasn’t going to talk to him until the move.
I was on the couch in one of my famous in between sleep phases when I felt something knock me on my head. As I sat up I realized it was a cardboard box.
“What the heck was that for?”
“Dammit!”I muttered under my breath. I lost and failed to take my own advice.
“Start packing we only have a month”
Okay let’s try again. Instead of talking to him I got up and left without saying a word.
Over the past two weeks my dad had been flying to California and back, leaving me alone. Sadly I never succeeded in the whole silent treatment thing, but I was close. I only managed to talk to him when it had to do with food. I didn’t want to starve and believe it or not I can’t even make toast.
Today was my last day in New York. I didn’t think it was possible to feel this desolate. My father came back yesterday. It’s the first time I’ve seen him in days. The only reason why he came back well there’s multiple reasons 1. He probably thought I would run away in all the time he’s been gone. 2. I could have thrown a wild party and trashed the apartment.3 (Which I think is the most stupid.). He wanted us to go there together and experience our first times there together, which makes no sense cause he’s been to the house. He’s been to our future home. I haven’t. I haven’t even seen pictures. I can only hope for the best.
I have already said good-bye to my friends, the apartment, and also the sad dying flowers that sat above the sink. They were supposedly supposed to brighten up the room, but over time it turned as brown as the dirt it was planted in.

We are on our way to the air terminal. I look around in awe. Believe it or not I have never been in the airport before none the less on a plane either. My insides were being eaten by, not butterflies, but ugly grey looking moths.
An hour later I try my hardest to ignore the kicks that keep striking the back of my seat. Some brat named Bradley thinks that it’s fun to kick people’s chair especially mine. I was fed up with it. I looked to my left to find my dad snoring softly.
I rummaged through my bag for a piece of paper and a pen. I tried to make the message as clear as I could for a 4 year old.
Dear damn brat. Keep kicking my chair to see what will happen. P.s. It’s not good and if you squeal, you’ll really get it.

I folded the note and quietly slipped it above my seat, so it would land in his lap.
It must have worked because he never kicked the chair again. And now that I think about it he never spoke again either. I guess I scarred him. Now I feel bad.
When we landed I smiled at him as he walked away with his mother. He looked back with big eyes. Aww, he shouldn’t be afraid. I don’t bite……. unless you make me angry.
We got off at the San Jose Airport. By now the recent 8 hours on the plane had completely drained us. We were literally the walking dead. A contradiction I never really understood until now.
I slid drowsily onto the passenger’s seat. Little groans left my mouths about the brightness of the sun. It seemed like it couldn’t shine any righter today. My father who was also yawning to was behind the wheel. I would have told him not to drive, but I was too tired. Never again will I travel so far. You’d have to drag me from my hair for me to go anywhere near the length of this one.
An hour into the drive I wasn’t so sleepy anymore. I studied the new surroundings out the window. Talk about boring the radio signal was wavering on and off, static then music then 5 more minutes of static then more music.
I hastily turned the knob. Satisfactory took over when I heard Pink and the song just happened to be Trouble. Ha-ha I am trouble. That’s why I’m here, right.
The minutes flew by and I couldn’t possibly be anymore bored. A flash of grey caught my eye as we drove by.
“Stop the car!” I yelled
The car squelched to a halt as I moved forward and was jerked back by my seat belt. I yanked it off and quickly got of the car desperate to find out what the flash was. There a foot away from the car was a cat. Not just any cat but this one reminded me so much of the friskies cat.
“Aww come here” I cooed gently opening my arms.
The cat came without any hesitation and I instantly closed them tightly around him walking slowly back to the car.
“Look at him” I said as I stood outside the car.
“Christine, what the hell are you doing?Put the cat down and get in the car”
“I am appalled.” I said gasping. “You almost killed this cat and you want me to just leave him here. To die. The least you can do is apologize.
“Chris get real. It’s a cat.”
“And I’m your daughter, I don’t appreciate the disrespect you are giving to this cat so until he can come with us I’m going to stay right here.”
“Ok you do that”
He reached over to close the passenger door and drove away.
I sat in awe as I watched him speed away. He left me. I can’t believe he really left me. No sense in standing around, so I began to walk the length of the road.
A car comes whizzing past me but I pay it no mind until it makes a U turn and pulls up next to me.
“Chris get in”
“So we can keep him!”
“Just get in”
I hurried before he changed his mind and left me again. He drove off once I was fully in. I stared at the cat. His eyes were a deep sky blue that screamed in amazement. Yep his name was definitely going to be friski.
The sign of our new county took us both by surprise. It was a giant cheesy sun with black sun glasses on. The paint was chipping on various parts so it looked more like a yellow cookie. It bold Green words it read: WELCOME TO SUNNYVALE. Coming here was a big mistake.
When we entered the neighborhood my jaw dropped all the way and captured some dust on the car floor. These houses were monstrous and for the most part made the apartment in New York look like a shack in a rundown city, Which now that you think of it it kind of was. I felt like we just stepped on the set of 90210 with all the extravagant houses and fancy cars. No actually it felt more like The Real Housewives Of The O.C.
The sky was the bluest I’ve seen in years. The grass was the greenest I could ever imagine. All the gardens and flowers looked as if they were cut out of a decoration magazine, like they were too real to believe they existed.
Friski stirred in my arms and started pawing at something out the window.
“Were here” My dad said getting out of the car.
The second I stepped outside I totally forgot about the 8 hour trip and the jet lag nagging at my eyes. I was here, really here, in California. Here to start my new life